PDA

View Full Version : Some good news on the Education front

Nicholas Scheuer
09-27-2010, 05:55 PM
No, I'm not talking about Obama on the Today Show. I'm talking about a real situatuon, in the real world, in real time, down where the rubber meets the road.

My middle daughter received her Education Degree a few years after most teachers receive theirs. Her local schoold district wouldn't hire her full-time because they didn't want to loose her as a substitute teacher. So she bit the bullet and took a job teaching a "lower lever" sixth East Chicago, IL, which is located some forty miles from her home.

She's now beginning her third year, and she likes what she is doing, a lot. She is a single mom, with one son in College and a daughter only two years away from that, so she like the extra income E Chi provides anyone willing to stand in the trenches where the classrooms are a far cry from Chicago's exclusive burbs.

Last year her class was fourth from the top in the District in a special program designed for READING IMPROVEMENT. So far this year her class is LEADING the District in READING IMPROVEMENT.

I told her going in, considering that inner-city schools on average are not getting better anytime soon, that if she could succeed in E Chicago Public Schools, she might eventually be able to name her own price as a teacher specializing in success with "challenged" students.

I guess I was wrong about inner-city schools not improving quickly. HER'S IS!

Her secret? She says, "Dad, it all starts with discipline in the classroom'.

WAY TO GO, LAURA!

Moby Nick

John of Phoenix
09-27-2010, 06:03 PM
"Dad, it all starts with discipline in the classroom."

<Salute>

DMillet
09-27-2010, 09:52 PM
No doubt she has her hands full, but good on her for realizing the true challenge. It's just too bad these kids weren't getting the necessary discipline at home. Then her job as a teacher would be that much easier.

Ed Harrow
09-28-2010, 09:41 PM
...Her secret? She says, "Dad, it all starts with discipline in the classroom'.

Moby Nick

Oh, I've tried so hard to be good... I just can't stand it any more, I have to ask - if some kid in the class called her an axx hole would she kick him/her out?

bobbys
09-28-2010, 09:53 PM
Congrats to a great story.

Thats a real tough job, She must be very good.

My Wife tells the parents the kids WILL improve with reading but it HAS to be a team effort with the parents reading to the kids at night.

Lucky for her retired teachers will come in on their own time to help the slower kids.

She sends the more advanced kids to other classes with a higher level..

The Special ed teachers have their hands full.

blindbrook
09-30-2010, 10:04 AM
Great story. Motivating good teachers to teach is the solution.

Rich Jones
09-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Both my wife and daughter are Special Ed teachers. My wife for 30 years, my daughter for just two. Discipline in the classroom is a must. They've both developed that "teacher look " that makes an unrully child stop dead in their tracks without resorting to screaming and threats. They use the same tactics on me!
They've developed techniques in which the kids respect them, but not out of fear.
It's true that there are also a lot of lousy teachers out there who should go. My daughter (if I can blow her horn) graduated in the top 10 percent of her class from Marist College and will graduate from St. John's University with her Masters this December with a 4.0 average. Yet, finding a job in a good district will not be easy. They all want to start you out as assisant teachers and substitutes for a couple of years before they have to pay you the real bucks. She's now "paid" these dues and hopefully land a really good position for next year.

Nicholas Scheuer
09-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Yup, my daughter told me about her "look". Some days it's a posture that must be maintained through the whole school day.

As for being called a "axx hole"? As minority"among the teaching staff (white), as well as among her students, she is known as "that mean white lady".

Her favorite mentor is a black teacher in a more advanced 6th Grade classroom who has 20 years experience in the District.

As for wages? Different school districts pay differently. Surprised you don't know that, Steve.

Moby Nick

Rich Jones
09-30-2010, 11:44 AM
HUGE difference in salaries. Here on Long Island, New York, my wife is up to six figures. Down south, teachers get a piglet and a bushel of apples.
Then again, the standards for teachers up here are much higher. For that high salary, my wife works extremely hard and long hours. The end of the rainbow is coming in June, when she finally retires!

purri
09-30-2010, 09:55 PM
^ Know what you mean abt the retirement mate. My lady did 34 years, retired then came back teaching full time, however she'll retire for good at 62 for more sailing and fishing time. "Free, free, free at last" : M.L.K.