PDA

View Full Version : Judgement of our descendants - are you ready?

David G
09-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Interesting article on what we're doing now that might ask future generations to as, "What were they thinking?"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/24/AR2010092404113.html?wpisrc=nl_pmopinions

S&S.
09-27-2010, 02:19 PM
I think they'll condemn us for giving Kwame Anthony Appiah space in print. Where does the Post get these goofs?

Bruce Hooke
09-27-2010, 03:44 PM
Interesting article on what we're doing now that might ask future generations to as, "What were they thinking?"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/24/AR2010092404113.html?wpisrc=nl_pmopinions

Having already voiced a similar opinion here on the forum regarding climate change/global warming, it should be no surprise that I agree that at least when it comes to the environment, future generations will look back and ask "what were they thinking?"

I think they'll condemn us for giving Kwame Anthony Appiah space in print. Where does the Post get these goofs?

It is rather amusing that S&S's response seems to fit very nicely into Appiah's model of what people do when they can't offer a moral counterargument. Granted, S&S is not invoking "tradition, human nature or necessity" but he is invoking the old tradition of shooting the messenger when you don't have a good counter-argument to the message, which is functionally the same as invoking "tradition, human nature or necessity."

S&S.
09-27-2010, 03:59 PM
It is rather amusing that S&S's response seems to fit very nicely into Appiah's model of what people do when they can't offer a moral counterargument. Granted, S&S is not invoking "tradition, human nature or necessity" but he is invoking the old tradition of shooting the messenger when you don't have a good counter-argument to the message, which is functionally the same as invoking "tradition, human nature or necessity."

If I thought it worth my time to dissect his diatribe, I would have. Please don't ascribe motiviations or lack of abilities to me without evidence. Were I to have, I wouldn't have invoked tradition, necessity nor human nature.

Glad you're amused as I aim to entertain.

Y Bar Ranch
09-27-2010, 04:16 PM
His list sounds like personal projection to me. Not on the value judgments, but on whether the future will condemn us for them.

David G
09-27-2010, 04:41 PM
His list sounds like personal projection to me. Not on the value judgments, but on whether the future will condemn us for them.

I'm a bit unclear on what you're saying exactly. But I certainly agree with the first sentence. If you agree that future generations are likely to ask that question about some of what we currently do... what things do you think they'll question? (Please don't make it a laundry list of partisan potshots, eh?)

David G
09-27-2010, 04:44 PM

So - do you disagree with the premise, or with the author's particular list of candidates for future wonder?

Y Bar Ranch
09-27-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm a bit unclear on what you're saying exactly. But I certainly agree with the first sentence. If you agree that future generations are likely to ask that question about some of what we currently do... what things do you think they'll question? (Please don't make it a laundry list of partisan potshots, eh?)
Not sure, of course, but would not be surprised to see warehousing of elderly increase rather than decrease, for example. That's the trend. Prison populations may go down, but want go away, so I don't expect harsh condemnation comparable to feelings about slavery.

I'll have to think about this one.

TomF
09-28-2010, 07:24 AM
Yeah, I think treatment of the environment will be a huge "what were they thinking" issue. Burning petroleum, instead of using it as a resource to make stuff with ...

Warehousing of the elderly, to be sure, but also wrehousing of children. We know enough about brain development etc., and the psychological effects of institutional care that we'll wonder how we could possibly have been so thoughtless. The enormous success of feminism and the enormous failure of feminism are the same; the "male model of work" hasn't changed, but women have been able to become "men" economically. What ought to have changed was the model of work, enabling both men and women to be full participants in the responsibilities both of work and of child-rearing.

I think that in most of these issues, we'll be judged on a failure of compassion - a failure to see beyond our individual wants. Institutionalization of care is really about our convenience, the primacy of our lives in comparison with those of the others for whom we'd in other models have been responsible.

LeeG
09-28-2010, 07:47 AM
framing the topic of changing values in terms of how we will be judged and condemned isn't exactly the best way to start.

Milo Christensen
09-28-2010, 07:57 AM
All of the problems listed in the article will cost money to fix, but we Americans have already borrowed the money our future generations will need to fix their problems.

LeeG
09-28-2010, 08:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31QUOUxqz2M

I'm thinking it'll be something more along the lines of "you used up all your oil, are the largest consumer of oil and you spent the last decades before peak oil committing to the production of SUV/light trucks?"

paul oman
09-28-2010, 08:56 AM
they will certainly wonder why I wasted so much time visiting Earth.

McMike
09-28-2010, 10:51 AM
All of the problems listed in the article will cost money to fix, but we Americans have already borrowed the money our future generations will need to fix their problems.

It wasn't borrowed; it was stolen by the rich, by big business (or government, whatever you choose to call it). "The people" had little, if anything, to do with our debt.

So if you want to sell government bonds I know just where to start, you can come and join me to knock on doors in Western Fairfield County. We can tell then to pay up on their tab, it's due.

LeeG
09-28-2010, 11:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9lquok4Pdk

McMike
09-28-2010, 02:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9lquok4Pdk

One could infer that the USSR was reacting to the USA, hmmm . . .