PDA

View Full Version : Putting Food By...

Nicholas Carey
09-26-2010, 05:13 PM
Just made a batch of Concord Grape Jelly. Intense stuff, Concord grapes.

Didn't have enough juice, so it turned into Concord Grape/White wine jelly. Even with 20% white wine in the mix, the juice was still pretty intense.

If I'd been thinking ahead, I should have tossed in a sprig of rosemary or maybe some fresh thyme in the boil. Maybe next time.

Yummmmmmm...

elf
09-26-2010, 06:00 PM
10 qts peaches, 2 qts prune plums, 10 pints tomato sauce, 4 pints cortland apple sauce, 1 btl beach plum jelly, 5 small bottles concord grape jelly for gifts, at least 3 quarts frozen raspberries.

This year I'm making cranberry juice concentrate - buy the berries directly from the grower. Have to create the recipe, however.

Mrleft8
09-26-2010, 06:29 PM
12 pints of raspberry jam. Oh....... and bacon...... I'm looking into bottling hyperbole.... But I don't think mere hot water will sanitize the containers....

elf
09-26-2010, 08:25 PM
I'm looking into bottling hyperbole.... But I don't think mere hot water will sanitize the containers....

I can't even imagine what could!

gibetheridge
09-27-2010, 01:53 AM
10 qts peaches, 2 qts prune plums, 10 pints tomato sauce, 4 pints cortland apple sauce, 1 btl beach plum jelly, 5 small bottles concord grape jelly for gifts, at least 3 quarts frozen raspberries.

This year I'm making cranberry juice concentrate - buy the berries directly from the grower. Have to create the recipe, however.

I just made 14 quarts of wild blackberry juice concentrate. Put berries in big pots, barely cover with water bring to simmer, mash thoroughly with potatoe masher, pour into sacrificial designated pillow case and let drip for 24 hours stirring occasionally, freeze in 750 ml yogurt containers. This was the first time and it worked really well. Needs a bit of sweetener, so we mix it as we use it, 1 part concentrate, one part other sweeter store-bought juice and one part water. Permanently stains everything it touches.