PDA

View Full Version : 105 MPH Fastball!!!

Paul Pless
09-25-2010, 08:38 PM
Cincinnatti Reds rookie Aroldis Chapman sets major league record for fastest pitch ever.

The pitch was not a fluke: Chapman threw 25 pitches in his 1 1/3 innings of relief, and every one was at least 100 mph.

Outstanding!!!

JBreeze
09-25-2010, 08:52 PM
Sports Illustrated writer Joe Posnanski described Chapman thusly: "There is no violence at all in his motion; he’s like the anti-Bob Gibson in that way. Just a slow beginning, a fluid motion, and BLAMMO the ball just fires out like the Batmobile rolling out of the cave."

Can't wait to see more of him as Cincinnati begins the playoffs. The unfortunate aspect is he had to leave his family behind in Cuba.

Gerarddm
09-25-2010, 08:59 PM
Jeesh. And I thought Ron Guidry and Goose Gossage threw hard...

Cuyahoga Chuck
09-26-2010, 09:40 AM
The real money is being able to be around for numerous seasons. Can this guy's arm last throwing that hard?

Paul Girouard
09-26-2010, 09:49 AM
The real money is being able to be around for numerous seasons. Can this guy's arm last throwing that hard?

Randy Johnson had a long career. And these guys make more in one season than most folks do in a life time. So he'll do fine either way unless he pi$$es away the money. Like some have been known to do.

oznabrag
09-26-2010, 10:11 AM

If the analysis quoted in post #2 is correct, I'd say this kid can go for a long time. It is 'violent' motion that tears things up.

Cuyahoga Chuck
09-26-2010, 11:20 AM
Randy Johnson had a long career. And these guys make more in one season than most folks do in a life time. So he'll do fine either way unless he pi$$es away the money. Like some have been known to do.

Glad you brought Randy up. I believe he is 6' 10" tall and had an arm much longer than average. I can't do the math but I think it would show he could automatically accellerate the ball better than his shorter armed opponents and therefore got equal ball speed without torturing his arm/shoulder as much. And in the end we don't know how hard he was throwing in relation to how hard he was able to throw. A pitcher with good control and a head for the finesse part of the game doesn't have to go to blazing fastballs as much as someone who is limited to a few pitches and is always falling behind in the count.

Paul Girouard
09-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Glad you brought Randy up. I believe he is 6' 10" tall and had an arm much longer than average. I can't do the math but I think it would show he could automatically accellerate the ball better than his shorter armed opponents and therefore got equal ball speed without torturing his arm/shoulder as much. And in the end we don't know how hard he was throwing in relation to how hard he was able to throw. A pitcher with good control and a head for the finesse part of the game doesn't have to go to blazing fastballs as much as someone who is limited to a few pitches and is always falling behind in the count.

Early in his career here in Seattle he thru as hard as he could for as long as he could , walked a lot of batters. I'd say his height and resulting bad back and IIRC some shoulder issues he had point to mental toughness as much as good genetics kept him in the game longer than most , mainly the mental part.

JBreeze
09-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Paul G:

Slightly off topic - I read a case for giving the Cy Young award to Felix Hernandez from Seattle yesterday....

2.31 ERA, leading the league w/ 227 Ks, WHIP 1.05 , etc..... too bad he doesn't get any offensive support and is 12-12!

Paul Girouard
09-26-2010, 11:54 AM
Paul G:

Slightly off topic - I read a case for giving the Cy Young award to Felix Hernandez from Seattle yesterday....

2.31 ERA, leading the league w/ 227 Ks, WHIP 1.05 , etc..... too bad he doesn't get any offensive support and is 12-12!

Ya he had a great year , but with that 12-12 record no way he'll win it. The broad casters really looked forward to his day to throw, they wanted , still do I think he has one more start , him to throw a no- no. That MIGHT push him over the top , but without it , highly unlikely he'll win it. But it sure was LONG season of baseball with the Mariner's playing so poorly , AND the Red Sox's having so many injuries.