PDA

View Full Version : need info on lug & crab claw rigs

Henri
09-05-2000, 06:10 PM
A little help, what is the best reference(s) in print on lug rigs, and on crab claw rigs?
1) the struture and 2) the sail making?

Todd Bradshaw
09-05-2000, 10:50 PM
Marino's "The Sailmakers Apprentice" (International Marine) will give you a pretty good run-down on lugs and their sails. For claw rigs, check the library for a book called "The Canoes of Oceanis". I can't remember off the top of my head who wrote it, but it's got a lot of stuff on outriggers and their rigs, including some claw-rigged boats.
For the sail, you just locate the nearest palm tree and start "thatching".
T.E.B.

Smacksman
09-06-2000, 05:19 PM
Crab-claw rigs came up in another thread on WB and I put a sketch up on http://emma.datablocks.net/wb/wb.htm as best as I could remember it. Very efficient rig I read and a bit more efficient than a lug as I recall.

dadadata
09-13-2000, 10:47 PM
Very little in print on making lugsails. Todd already mentioned what's probably the best source. Cut them with more draft rather than less draft, and put at least a 3/1 purchase on the downhaul and keep the luff really tight. Use prestretch dacron or spectra line for halyards and downhauls.

Less in print on making crabclaw sails but there are some proa enthusiasts out there who are trying to dope out the traditional shapes (if any rules actually exist; evidence is that different islands have different rules which they find work) versus shapes which might be more powerful.

Todd means Haddon and Hornell's "Canoes of Oceania" published by the Bishop Museum.

I have a Proa FAQ and some other info on my Cheap Pages including references to other sources of images for traditional crabclaws. One of the best summaries of these old shetches and drawings is Dodd's POLYNESIAN SEAFARING AND NAVIGATION - I think it's called.

dadadata
09-13-2000, 10:48 PM
Oops. Also try and find John Leather's SPRITSAIL AND LUGSAIL.