PDA

View Full Version : Do you sleep with your wife?

bobbys
09-23-2010, 02:48 PM
Do youse sleep together?.

We always have in a double bed.

Last year though we went to Hawaii and only could get a room with 2 single beds, I kept her out of my bed as it was MINE and she needed to respect my space, However i enjoyed the fact she could not steal my blankie.

Now i make old man noises now and she sets 4 alarm clocks and we wake each other up.

My grandparents had their own rooms but my parents always shared a bed.

Im thinking of bringing this up to my wife and have been playing old shows of Rob and Laurie Petrie so she could get a hint..

This has nothing to do with romantic round A views just getting some sleep.

How do i bring this up with sensitivities?.

Do youse share a bed or have your own?

David G
09-23-2010, 03:00 PM
bs,

We have a queen bed. I also have a fold-down futon in my office. I often sleep there because I'm up so much later than she, and she sleeps lightly and gets up early. Also - she snores (though she maintains it's the other way 'round <G>). Just more practical that way. Snuggle time is another proposition altogether.

Kaa
09-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Historically (in Europe) one bed was a hallmark of poverty. Poor people had just one and everyone -- husband and wife and all the kids -- slept in it. Rich and noble people had separate beds and visited each other on the as-needed basis :-) Made things easier with mistresses, too. :D

I think in places like France it's still conventional for the husband and wife to sleep in separate beds.

Kaa

htom
09-23-2010, 03:04 PM
King-long, so one of us can work while the other sleeps if needed.

McMike
09-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Queen sized bed for us and the dog.

Garret
09-23-2010, 03:21 PM
King

Leaves enough space when needed/wanted - but one can still hog the covers. I'm still trying to figure out how come she keeps pushing them over to my side...... ;-)

Antti Alfthan
09-23-2010, 03:41 PM
In this age, and after a certain operation, I have no choice but sleep with my wife...

I stay up late, she sleeps early and more than me, not stealing blankets but turning side the way I wake up checking for an earthquake. Still, she makes good coffee.

varadero
09-23-2010, 03:41 PM
As mentioned previously, both partners in the same bed was the dominion of the lower classes untill the late 19C. Myself, I like to sleep together, but sometimes it would be more practical otherwise, but who reall has the spare bedrooms nowadays?

L.W. Baxter
09-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Yes, but I wear those satiny black eye covers. Not to shut out the light but for physical protection. I have fitted kevlar plates over my eyes because she has the sharpest elbows you have ever seen. Like letter openers, they are. I have cauliflower ears because of those elbows. It's worse when she's been drinking. hahaha just kidding.

Tom Montgomery
09-23-2010, 04:16 PM
If you do not sleep in the same bed as your wife you are either: estranged, ill, or practical. You are certainly no longer a romantic.

varadero
09-23-2010, 04:28 PM
It is more romantic, the midnight visit, rather than the customery fumble!

pingree8
09-23-2010, 04:34 PM
It gets very cold here in the winter. My wife is warm.

Breakaway
09-23-2010, 04:38 PM
I work at home, and often late, and so end up falling out on my office couch a lot. Some friction from that, but such is life, no biggie really.

Kevin

Kaa
09-23-2010, 04:39 PM
It is more romantic, the midnight visit, rather than the customery fumble!

:D Anything is more romantic than a "customary fumble" :D

Kaa

Phillip Allen
09-23-2010, 04:42 PM
I don't sleep with ANYBODY'S wife...

varadero
09-23-2010, 04:43 PM
Your spelling is also better than mine!

doorstop
09-23-2010, 04:43 PM
My wife sleeps 80km. away. I prefer that arrangement.

MiddleAgesMan
09-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Our separate bedrooms are about a mile apart...in separate houses.

Try it, you'll like it! :)

varadero
09-23-2010, 04:50 PM
When I was about 15 my dad ( now dead) said, Son, if you ever think about marraige, find a girl, you know you are going to hate in five years, give her everything you own now, and you will save yourself a whole pile of heartache.

gert
09-23-2010, 04:52 PM
When we got married my grandmother gave us two twin size down duvets.
We protested that our bed was a queen size and perhaps we should exchange them.
She said absalutly not because she knew we had a queen size and the two duvets would make our marriage easier.
His and her's duvets. Worked great, 35 years on Oct 11.

Bobcat
09-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Just celebrated our 26th anniversary and were together a few years before we made it legal. We sleep in the same room or general area, but generally don't sleep in the same bed. I don't sleep well anyway and tend to toss and turn. Rumor is that I snore, but I have never heard it. My wife puts out enough heat that I tend to get too hot. Half the year I sleep on a sleeping porch off our bedroom, the other half in the bedroom, but not in the bed.

No, we are no longer under the romantic delusion that our marriage requires us to be in the same bed asleep at the same time

bobbys
09-23-2010, 05:08 PM
bs,

We have a queen bed. I also have a fold-down futon in my office. I often sleep there because I'm up so much later than she, and she sleeps lightly and gets up early. Also - she snores (though she maintains it's the other way 'round <G>). Just more practical that way. Snuggle time is another proposition altogether..

Snuggles are good!.

As long as one hangs on to the remote!

bobbys
09-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Just celebrated our 26th anniversary and were together a few years before we made it legal. We sleep in the same room or general area, but generally don't sleep in the same bed. I don't sleep well anyway and tend to toss and turn. Rumor is that I snore, but I have never heard it. My wife puts out enough heat that I tend to get too hot. Half the year I sleep on a sleeping porch off our bedroom, the other half in the bedroom, but not in the bed.

No, we are no longer under the romantic delusion that our marriage requires us to be in the same bed asleep at the same time.

I like the windows open even in the winter with a fan.

She likes 25 layers of blankets.

However since Men A Pause the climate control switch is off with her so she wakes up hot or cold

bobbys
09-23-2010, 05:11 PM
When I was about 15 my dad ( now dead) said, Son, if you ever think about marraige, find a girl, you know you are going to hate in five years, give her everything you own now, and you will save yourself a whole pile of heartache..

Bean as ugly as i yam im taking no chances and keeping the one i got happy.

bobbys
09-23-2010, 05:12 PM
I don't sleep with ANYBODY'S wife....

I tell everyone my wife is sleeping with her contractor to get work done around the house.

bobbys
09-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Yes, but I wear those satiny black eye covers. Not to shut out the light but for physical protection. I have fitted kevlar plates over my eyes because she has the sharpest elbows you have ever seen. Like letter openers, they are. I have cauliflower ears because of those elbows. It's worse when she's been drinking. hahaha just kidding..

I know what you mean about Elbows.

Sometimes it feels like Im sleeping with the Detroit Pistons.

Nicholas Scheuer
09-23-2010, 05:18 PM
I think she'd e PO'd if I didn't!

(would somebody please explain why this is in itallics?)

But hey, this is an interesting thread. It might be simpler to select my next boat based upon its having a pair of saloon berths instead of the customary forward V-berth, or our present accomodations in a queen-size V/Saloon combination berth having an insert panel in the middle.

Moby Nick

bobbys
09-23-2010, 05:20 PM
I think she'd e PO'd if I didn't!

(would somebody please explain why this is in itallics?)

But hey, this is an interesting thread. It might be simpler to select my next boat based upon its having a pair of saloon berths instead of the customary forward V-berth, or our present accomodations in a queen-size V/Saloon combination berth having an insert panel in the middle.

Moby Nick.

My wife is Jewish not Eyetalian so we have a poster bed.

She do not venture on boats.

paul oman
09-23-2010, 05:42 PM
I never met your wife.....

Beowolf
09-23-2010, 05:54 PM

I know what you mean about Elbows.

Sometimes it feels like Im sleeping with the Detroit Pistons.

Any thread about love and marriage that includes a Bill Laimbeer reference has to be a good one!

troutman
09-23-2010, 06:00 PM
She hates AC I have to have it so in summer I may be in my sons old room with the little window unit humming.

Keith Wilson
09-23-2010, 06:13 PM
Do youse sleep together?.Damn right we do. It's cold here in the winter.

Harbormaster
09-23-2010, 06:19 PM
We sleep together, I'm a romantic - I own wooden boats.

Bobcat
09-23-2010, 06:22 PM
We sleep together, I'm a romantic - I own wooden boats.

I am a romantic and own wooden boats, but I like my sleep. Moreover my wife likes her sleep and claims I disturb her sleep. If mama ain't happy, there will be no romance, if you get my drift. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink

gibetheridge
09-23-2010, 07:09 PM
We sleep separately, in separate rooms even, and both sleep more soundly as a result. It took me 20 years to convince her to try it though, only happened when she got the flu and wanted to not keep me awake all night with her coughing. It hasn't harmed the 28 year marriage in the least, we genuinely like each other, hanky panky or not.

skuthorp
09-23-2010, 07:22 PM
At one stage I worked in advertising and left for work at 6am and came home at about 11.30pm. I used the spare bed 4 days a week. These days it varies, she likes late night movies and I do not, sometimes I'm reading or listening to music and up late.

Rich Jones
09-23-2010, 07:51 PM

I tell everyone my wife is sleeping with her contractor to get work done around the house.

My wife DOES sleep with her contractor. Luckily, I'm the contractor. I think that's why she married me. Build me this, build me that, and I jump to it. No dinner and no sharing the queen bed if I don't!!

Bob Adams
09-23-2010, 08:02 PM
Now I understand why so many here are so persnickety....no convienent way to dispose of morning wood!;)

skipper68
09-23-2010, 08:16 PM
WELL!,I was abused,in my previous marriage. A king size bed didn't work. He spent all night,doing the Chinese fire drill,as IT IS MINE!!. Don't touch me when I'm snoozing. We have the bow cabin,and the twin aft bunks. When we visit,he never wakes up in my bed. It seems to work,as he's not bitter,and we have other sleeping areas. Capt. approved of this message! (said I'm MEAN!) LOL. Nice thread.

Wild Dingo
09-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Did I sleep with my wife? Yep the only bloody thing we did do!! more often than not I slept in the living room until 4 or 5 in the am then would get into bed as she got up... thank god thats over!!!

Nowadays I sleep either with myself or with some fine fettled backpacker sheila from timbuktoo or whoosiwatsit even from far flung icelandish places!! But they keep the bod healthy fit and vibrant and energize me into a new brilliant lifestyle.

aahh life the fine treasures it do bring! I tells yer I could tell yer some yarns that would curl the toes on a 5 toed sloth on heat I could!! Man wish I had have moved into this single life YEARS ago!!! What a hoot!!

Tom Montgomery
09-23-2010, 08:23 PM
Thank Jehovah for open minded women!

skipper68
09-23-2010, 08:46 PM
did i sleep with my wife? Yep the only bloody thing we did do!! More often than not i slept in the living room until 4 or 5 in the am then would get into bed as she got up... Thank god thats over!!!

Nowadays i sleep either with myself or with some fine fettled backpacker sheila from timbuktoo or whoosiwatsit even from far flung icelandish places!! But they keep the bod healthy fit and vibrant and energize me into a new brilliant lifestyle.

Aahh life the fine treasures it do bring! I tells yer i could tell yer some yarns that would curl the toes on a 5 toed sloth on heat i could!! Man wish i had have moved into this single life years ago!!! What a hoot!!
and,there ya go!!!
I knew what he said!! Lmao!

bobbys
09-23-2010, 09:45 PM
My wife DOES sleep with her contractor. Luckily, I'm the contractor. I think that's why she married me. Build me this, build me that, and I jump to it. No dinner and no sharing the queen bed if I don't!!.

Just to clarify i Yam the Contractor!

bobbys
09-23-2010, 09:49 PM
Did I sleep with my wife? Yep the only bloody thing we did do!! more often than not I slept in the living room until 4 or 5 in the am then would get into bed as she got up... thank god thats over!!!

Nowadays I sleep either with myself or with some fine fettled backpacker sheila from timbuktoo or whoosiwatsit even from far flung icelandish places!! But they keep the bod healthy fit and vibrant and energize me into a new brilliant lifestyle.

aahh life the fine treasures it do bring! I tells yer I could tell yer some yarns that would curl the toes on a 5 toed sloth on heat I could!! Man wish I had have moved into this single life YEARS ago!!! What a hoot!!.

I do not posses your handsome good looks or Charm so i have to deal with the gal i gotts.

Im not taking no chances, I even put doors on the bathroom as she requested.

huisjen
09-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Sometimes we toss and turn. Sometimes one of us works late at home. We usually sleep together, but we have spare rooms. In one extreme case, I slept (fairly well) out in the sauna. I was exhausted and she was going to be up late writing. I felt like an overtired three year old. But the sauna is cool and dark and quiet in the summer.

Dan

skipper68
09-23-2010, 10:51 PM
This thread is very enlightening. We've had people ask why we sleep in the twins in the aft. We do cuddle in the queen bow,but,alas,I always wake up alone. WASN"T ME! DIDN:T DO IT!! He understands,and never holds it against me though. A few times in the last 27yrs,I did wake up with him still there, Magic :)

ChaseKenyon
09-23-2010, 11:25 PM
35+ years ....still romantically in love and need to just touch each other in the night.

My Parents did, and Now my buddy in CT has a neat solution.
Take two queen or King size beds ram them together and lock them (dad with turnbuckles head and toe, bob with small boards screwed into the bottom of the bedspring frames). Then or actually before hookup insert one of the fillers were actually and still are purchasable from somewhere.

Makes them happy and each bed his hard and hers soft available for fun.. I always thought it was a really cool set up for when one of those couples that were "special friends" stayed over for a weekend visit. Charlie and Debs are my favorites Bob and Linda I believe are her favorites.
:d:d:d
:arg

bobbys
09-24-2010, 12:12 AM
35+ years ....still romantically in love and need to just touch each other in the night.

My Parents did, and Now my buddy in CT has a neat solution.
Take two queen or King size beds ram them together and lock them (dad with turnbuckles head and toe, bob with small boards screwed into the bottom of the bedspring frames). Then or actually before hookup insert one of the fillers were actually and still are purchasable from somewhere.

Makes them happy and each bed his hard and hers soft available for fun.. I always thought it was a really cool set up for when one of those couples that were "special friends" stayed over for a weekend visit. Charlie and Debs are my favorites Bob and Linda I believe are her favorites.
:d:d:d
:arg.

HHMMMMMMM Ok i guess?.
Well thanks for sharing.

Glen Longino
09-24-2010, 01:33 AM
I still sleep with this old woman.
Call me a humanitarian!;)
She claims she feels safe and comforted when I'm there in the night.

Phillip Allen
09-24-2010, 04:38 AM

I'll bet that's true... :)

botebum
09-24-2010, 04:38 AM
No. She sleeps with everyone but me. That's why she doesn't live in my house anymore.

Doug

JimD
09-24-2010, 04:56 AM
We share a hammock. Sometimes the cats join us but that's a bit crowded. One of them maybe. But not both.

Robbie 2
09-24-2010, 05:08 AM
Yes.............Queen size as we are both smallish people and this gives both plenty of room.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-24-2010, 05:19 AM
Unless I am careful about locating her and barricading her in the kitchen at bed time I find myself sleeping with the cat.

I have no objection to the cat, or even to her snoring, but I draw the line at the little friends that she acquires during her safaris into the meadow next door.

ccmanuals
09-24-2010, 05:24 AM
King size and occasionaly with 2 long haired dachsunds. But, sometimes she drifts to the spare room in the middle of the night if my snoring is out of control.

note: my dad used to always jokingly say that getting old was a bitch but having to sleep with "a grandmother" was a real awakening.

cs
09-24-2010, 07:09 AM
Yup same bed. When I was overseas I had to sleep without the wife and I hated it.

Chad

Phillip Allen
09-24-2010, 08:43 AM
Unless I am careful about locating her and barricading her in the kitchen at bed time I find myself sleeping with the cat.

I have no objection to the cat, or even to her snoring, but I draw the line at the little friends that she acquires during her safaris into the meadow next door.

my cats have fleas but they keep em to themselves

Paul Pless
09-24-2010, 08:49 AM

I have no objection to the cat, or even to her snoring, but I draw the line at the little friends that she acquires during her safaris into the meadow next door.My problem, with sleeping with the cats, is that they both sleep between Katherine and I, facing Katherine - so I often wake up with a face full of cat ass. . .

If our rottweiler slept in the bed with us, which she would happily do, the cats wouldn't get near the bed. Katherine won't let this happen though, so the logical conclusion is that she likes for me sleep with cat ass up against my head.:rolleyes:

paladin
09-24-2010, 09:24 AM
Sweet thing and I always slept in the same bed, with her head on my left arm and snuggled up.....if she wasn't there I woke up looking for her. She was warm and snuggly......

phiil
09-24-2010, 09:43 AM
We sleep together, but the real secret to our happy marriage is having separate bathrooms!

Phillip Allen
09-24-2010, 10:14 AM
My problem, with sleeping with the cats, is that they both sleep between Katherine and I, facing Katherine - so I often wake up with a face full of cat ass. . .

If our rottweiler slept in the bed with us, which she would happily do, the cats wouldn't get near the bed. Katherine won't let this happen though, so the logical conclusion is that she likes for me sleep with cat ass up against my head.:rolleyes:

somehow this seems funny to me...:)

huisjen
09-24-2010, 10:18 AM
@ Phiil

Ooooh yeah. Mine is the filthy one.

Dan

bamamick
09-24-2010, 10:35 AM
Yes, and I don't sleep well when we are apart.

My mom and dad have been married for 53 years, and just recently started sleeping in separate rooms, which is a real testimony to my mom's love for him, since I can still remember hearing him snoring like a train coming down the tracks even through several walls as I was a child!

Mickey Lake

paladin
09-24-2010, 01:24 PM
I was home after being injured, Sweet Thing wouldn't snuggle too close because she was afraid she would hurt me somehow.....I would sit in this monstrous recliner that I bought, she would bring me tea, and I would grab her and sit her in my lap, she would snuggle up, and we would get an afternoon nap that way. 20 years was not long enough.

Bobby of Tulsa
09-24-2010, 01:49 PM
Thirty eight years, In sickness and in health. I could not imagine reaching for her and her not being there.

TomF
09-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Queen sized bed. Neither of us can sleep when the other one isn't there.

downthecreek
09-24-2010, 03:09 PM
I need a wife. the house is a tip, there's a pile of ironing to be done and someone is going to arrange to have the cat fed this weekend..... It would be great to have a wife.

But if I could get hold of one, I definitely wouldn't sleep with her. Why would I want to do that? I have a perfectly good husband, after all. :rolleyes:

switters
09-24-2010, 03:13 PM
Small bed, not sleeping with anyone's wife, no cats allowed in, could use a maid. maid has to leave before dark. not interested in sleeping with maid either.

varadero
09-24-2010, 03:24 PM
In a 5 star hotel room right now, in Monte Carlo. sleep like crap! I miss her so much. This is not for me, never has been. I wanna go home, tomorow private jet, All Gore eat your heart out.

goodbasil
09-24-2010, 04:42 PM
I still like to do it in the car.

S&S.
09-24-2010, 04:46 PM
In a 5 star hotel room right now, in Monte Carlo. sleep like crap! I miss her so much. This is not for me, never has been. I wanna go home, tomorow private jet, All Gore eat your heart out.

I can't sleep well alone either.

Before I got married I shared the bed with my dog. Now, from left to right: cat, me,wife.

Dog (120lb dog) sleeps on the rug outside the bedroom door ( Not enough room, it's a queen sized bed).

Bobby of Tulsa
09-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Your a humanitarian. :)

pefjr
09-24-2010, 06:05 PM
Twin beds is a short jump over but a long drag back.

paladin
09-24-2010, 09:20 PM
I think I sleep with mine, it, but as long as there's a warm, soft comfy something there, dunno make no never mind. I do have to look out for the dawg, though.....she waits for me to go to sleep and then runs for the section of bed called her's.

skipper68
09-24-2010, 11:49 PM
I always have my HEMMROID in my butt.(the dog) I wll go sleep with the Capt. 2 nite,and will wake up alone tomorrow....In his bed,and he will find another bunk,for the rest of the night, :(

Glen Longino
09-25-2010, 12:25 AM
Your a humanitarian. :)

Thank you Bobby!
So are you!

purri
09-25-2010, 01:25 AM
We sleep together, but the real secret to our happy marriage is having separate bathrooms!

And separate underwear no doubt (unlike some of our English cousins) :D

bobbys
09-25-2010, 12:31 PM
We are going to be Grandparents in January.

Is It Right or legal to sleep with a Grand Mother?

Glen Longino
09-25-2010, 12:42 PM
I sleep with a Greatgrandma!

oznabrag
09-25-2010, 12:52 PM
We are going to be Grandparents in January.

Is It Right or legal to sleep with a Grand Mother?

Paladin's got a joke (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?118941-A-drunk-story......&highlight=biker)about that.

bobbys
09-25-2010, 12:54 PM
Paladin's got a joke (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?118941-A-drunk-story......&highlight=biker)about that..

Funny.

I think

bobbys
09-25-2010, 12:55 PM
I sleep with a Greatgrandma!.

Is she easy er to catch then a Regular Gannie?

David G
09-25-2010, 01:39 PM
OK - I want to change my answer to:

Of course I sleep with my wife. Every time I sleep with someone else's, someone starts yellin' (or shootin') at me.

Glen Longino
09-25-2010, 03:11 PM

Is she easy er to catch then a Regular Gannie?

I don't know!
Why the heck would I want to catch her?:D(I'm glad she never reads this forum);)