PDA

View Full Version : Maine Governor's race

JMAC
09-22-2010, 09:18 PM
If you are one to "vote the person, not the party" vote for Libby Mitchell...If you're a Democrat, get as hungry to win as the other side seems to be. If you're considering Cutler, start looking at the other guy in the race and realize how much long-term damage could be done to this great state by him and then vote for Mitchell.

I'm not preachy about politics usually...really....

huisjen
09-22-2010, 10:31 PM
I fear Mitchell is to close to Baldacci. I wish we could have a Democrat instead.

Dan

JMAC
09-23-2010, 05:05 AM
Took some trips in August around the state. I've seen thousands of Lepage lawn signs and less than 1/2 dozen Mitchell signs. I stopped in the Waldo County Democratic Office in Belfast yesterday. They have Mitchell signs, but no metal wickets and no budget for them either(I was told that they cost $1.00 a piece). They gave me a wooden stake and the sign. The nice ladies told me to pound the stake in with a hammer and then use a heavy duty stapler to attach the sign...or roofing nails. Sure I have that stuff, but who else would? It's been really dry this Summer, I'm almost positive that the stake would break before I got it down deep enough.

Mitchell is going to be steamrolled by a very well funded Lepage, but that sure doesn't make him the better choice.

Harbormaster
09-23-2010, 06:30 AM
I mean really, how bad could it be?

JMAC
09-23-2010, 06:37 AM
How bad could it be? I know him because his son and my son were both on the same soccer team together. At the games, all the parents would be on the sideline together cheering the kids on and hanging out. Except for Lepage who was down the field as close as he could get to his kid, yelling at him...not positive words of encouragement either. I don't care what party he's in, he is not fit to be Governor.

Chris Coose
09-23-2010, 06:54 AM
This is one of the craziest elections I have seen. The polls, as unscientific as they are, trend strongly for the angry liar LePage. He has strong support energy from people who would completly overlook his personal defects. Looks to me, the only person who could undo his election is the candidate. He shall bully his way into the office and then set up and executive bunker that would ignore law.

Maine shall have LePage as Governor because the democrats put up a person who represents all that people can be pissed off about.

I am surrendered to the notion that every teabagger should be elected so that we can see them dispensed with quickly. The pendulum shall be swinging back and forth radically as America goes down the sh*tshute .... leaderless.

Libby Mitchell is unelectable. What were they thinking when they handed it to her?

JMAC
09-23-2010, 08:06 PM
Chris, when the heck did the pendulum swing left? Eight years of Bush into 2 years of obstructionists. Seems here at home that our state government has not been polarized and the two parties do work together as best they can to get things done. Lepage, as you rightly describe him, should not be governor. Unsurrender yourself to the notion that we need to go down the tubes....As an aside I heard a radio news piece which said Snowe and Collins are the only moderate republicans left in the Senate.

JMAC
09-24-2010, 05:28 AM
I'd say mostly they represent the people of Maine as best as they can. I don't always agree with them. They vote across party lines. To me that shows informed compromise which is what all our representatives should be aiming for....for the betterment of society.

JMAC
10-06-2010, 08:00 PM
I've put political signs out at the end of my drive for the 1st time ever. I'm feeling strongly that Lepage is not a good choice for governor and it concerns me that he seems to be extremely well-funded...extremely, and where exactly is that money coming from? Vote Mitchell.

JMAC
10-27-2010, 07:06 PM
I attended a Mitchell rally in Belfast Sunday. She seemed energetic, articulate, positive, and committed to try as hard as she can to win this election. I'd feel good about voting for her, but I am going to vote for whoever I feel will beat Lepage. So, if Cutler catches fire this week, I'll vote for him. Any opinions from the downeast chapter of the bilge?

Harbormaster
10-27-2010, 07:37 PM
At least Lepage will make the next 4 years interesting and he'll give the press someting to cover, and someone for the Dems to run against when his time is up.
Libby Mitchell is a very nice person, but in a time when fresh ideas are a good idea, I haven't really seen any come out of her camp.
Cutler is alright, nothin' new there either, but he'll help to guarantee that Lepage gets the victory.

As my bumper sticker says, "The Middle Ages weren't that bad - vote Republican."

At least they are all better than the Minnesota candidates.

bamamick
10-28-2010, 08:34 PM
I was driving around in the rental car listening to all of these ads for some lady named Paula Page. I was trying to remember, wasn't there an old movie actress named that? Listened to bunches of ads for this Page lady running down someone named Libby and thought to myself, hmm, so Maine is going to have a lady governor? Imagine my suprise when this deep voice comes on the radio and says 'I am Paul LaPage, and blahblahblahblahblah'. My jaw dropped and my wife rolled with laughter at my expression.

Just a silly little story.

Mickey Lake

JMAC
10-29-2010, 01:26 PM
It looks like Cutler is climbing in the polls. Any thoughts on if he can gather enough votes for the win?

Joe Dupere
10-29-2010, 03:54 PM
According to polls reported in the Bangor Daily today, Lepage is way out in front at 28%, Mitchell and Cutler are tied at 26% each, and about 4% for the other two candidates. The rest are undecided. So right now 56% of the voting public wants somebody other than LePage, but he'll probably win, and it'll be hailed as a great victory.

Joe, FFPoP

Chris Coose
10-29-2010, 04:05 PM
Any thoughts on if he can gather enough votes for the win?

Cutler may pull it off as many people like me know it should be anybody but LePage and the dems should get slapped for offering up a candidate who angry people will not vote for.
I believe he can win if you vote for him.

Willin'
10-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Unfortunately, Cutler is the least of 3 evils IMHO. I can't countenance the teabaggers and I couldn't abide 4 more years of the sameol or worse.

Gotta be independent.

If you want to call him a spoiler, so be it.

JMAC
10-29-2010, 09:27 PM
OK, I am in the anybody-but-Lepage camp and I, as you must by now realize, am concerned about this election. Waterville's own Morning Sentinel endorsed Eliot Cutler, not LePage, who is mayor of Waterville.....it's time for me to give up on Mitchell and vote for Cutler. Here's my shout then- VOTE FOR CUTLER!!!! ...and tell all your friends to do the same.

JMAC
10-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Personally, I was swayed to switch by these words from a respected friend-

"Cutler will attract some R's and many U's. Mitchell won't attract any R's and maybe a few U's. I think strategically, the choice is clear."

Libby Mitchell-democrat, Eliot Cutler- independant, Paul LePage- republican, with issues.

bobbys
10-29-2010, 10:37 PM
Unfortunately, Cutler is the least of 3 evils IMHO. I can't countenance the teabaggers and I couldn't abide 4 more years of the sameol or worse.

Gotta be independent.

If you want to call him a spoiler, so be it..

There are sexual perverts running?.

Where did you get your info from?.

Gawker?

mikefrommontana
10-29-2010, 11:58 PM

There are sexual perverts running?.

Where did you get your info from?.

Gawker?

Sorry Bobbys, somebody flubbed up in the Tea Party branding division and they lost control of their brand. Terrible when people verbify nouns. No sex to be had, perhaps another thread.

Willin'
10-30-2010, 05:58 PM
Sorry Bobbys, somebody flubbed up in the Tea Party branding division and they lost control of their brand. Terrible when people verbify nouns. No sex to be had, perhaps another thread.

If I cared enough, I'd correct my misnomer. The tea douchebags are dismissable though, so I won't bother.

SMARTINSEN
10-30-2010, 11:30 PM
If the lawn signs are any indication, then it is a LePage landslide. He seems to me of a more intense version of Doug Christie in NJ.

I do kind of like Marden's though.

bobbys
10-30-2010, 11:39 PM
If I cared enough, I'd correct my misnomer. The tea douchebags are dismissable though, so I won't bother..

See thats better.

BabystepsLOL

Keith Wilson
10-30-2010, 11:58 PM
Here are the predictions from fivethirtyeight.com (http://elections.nytimes.com/2010/forecasts/governor/maine). It doesn't look good for Mitchell.

Chris Coose
10-31-2010, 06:03 AM
Libby Mitchell is just like the housing market.
What worked 3 years ago is a fatal purchase today.
Madness to have primarried her. Democrats as a group, as in the state or national committees, are usually a day late and a dollar short, with the exception of the Obama/ Biden ticket.

Harbormaster
10-31-2010, 06:16 AM
Here are the predictions from fivethirtyeight.com (http://elections.nytimes.com/2010/forecasts/governor/maine). It doesn't look good for Mitchell.

Keith, while I was in Minnesota last week I watched some of your governor's debates, looks like you'll have to choose the least of the three evils. Is it everywhere, or just states that start with "M?"

Harbormaster
10-31-2010, 06:22 AM
If the lawn signs are any indication, then it is a LePage landslide. He seems to me of a more intense version of Doug Christie in NJ.

I do kind of like Marden's though.

LePage is French Canadian, and that's a goodly sector of the Maine population. They usually vote for Democrats, but LePage is a republican, so some percentage of the normally reliable democratic vote will go to him as an affinity vote. To some extent the democratic base is being split 3 ways this year, enough to give LePage the Blaine House.

JMAC
10-31-2010, 06:38 AM
Right now, a huge percentage of people (Mitchell+Cutler) don't care to have Lepage as governor. Give Eliot Cutler a listen to if you haven't already.

Garret
10-31-2010, 07:40 AM
Keith, while I was in Minnesota last week I watched some of your governor's debates, looks like you'll have to choose the least of the three evils. Is it everywhere, or just states that start with "M?"

We (Vermont) have to choose between the lesser of 2 evils, so I guess we're different. Actually, in fairness, neither of our choices are truly evil, just nowhere near as good as I'd like. What bothers me most is the amount of outside the state $ involved on both sides, and from what I've seen recently, Maine has the same problem. Wish there was a chance of legislation that allowed only in-state contributions.

Keith Wilson
10-31-2010, 07:54 AM
Keith, while I was in Minnesota last week I watched some of your governor's debates, looks like you'll have to choose the least of the three evils. Is it everywhere, or just states that start with "M?"Damned if I know. Only Emmer is actually evil (well, let's say seriously mistaken about almost everything). Horner is a moderate Republican running as the Independence party candidate, and Mark Dayton is, alas, Mark Dayton. Both major parties had much better candidates that they had endorsed, but Seifert, the Republican, lost at the convention because of the far-right True Believers and the anti-abortion folks. Margaret Anderson-Kelliher (speaker of the House, very, very competent) lost narrowly in the Democratic primary, and I have no idea why. Dayton will do too the least damage of the three; it's very likely he'll win.

Harbormaster
10-31-2010, 08:24 AM
He seems to be ahead in the polls, it's just that during the debate he had that Barney Rubble look of a man that didn't have a clue. We need some new ideas and ways of making things work and all we have to vote for are the same old, same old.

JMAC
10-31-2010, 08:45 AM
I've heard from a few people who either live or work in Waterville saying Lepage isn't a very good mayor. And, yeah, he runs Marden's which is a local institution. All my work-with-their-hands buddies and me have lamented for a few years how the place isn't as good as it used to be.

Well, this is as active as I've ever been in politics and it is not enjoyable to me. But I've seen Lepage in action, heard him insult my son, and I feel strongly that he is not fit to be leading our state. My vote and hopes to Cutler, for the win!

JMAC
10-31-2010, 10:57 AM
another endorsement- Angus King, former governor has voiced his support for Eliot Cutler.

huisjen
10-31-2010, 11:07 AM
Libby Mitchell.
She's our man.
But she can't do it,
And Cutler can.

?

Dan

JMAC
10-31-2010, 01:50 PM
another endorsement- Huisjen, innocent widdle bunny, has voiced his support for Eliot Cutler. (I'd put a smiley here, but I've never used one and I ain't about to start now!)

JMAC
11-01-2010, 12:34 PM
I am definitely voting for Cutler as the best thing I can do to defeat LePage. Mitchell was a good choice, but defeating Lepage is the best choice.

EqualityMaine is now supporting Cutler. Maine law says you are allowed to change the vote on your absentee ballot, do it today!

Hot Air
11-01-2010, 01:15 PM
I think you need to get used to saying "Governor LePage." Kind of rolls off the tongue.

delecta
11-01-2010, 01:55 PM
It's to bad that Cutler had to spoil the election for the left, if the left had run one candidate this wouldn't be happening.

Oh well, perhaps people on both sides will learn a lesson from this.

Harbormaster
11-01-2010, 05:03 PM
It's to bad that Cutler had to spoil the election for the left, if the left had run one candidate this wouldn't be happening.

Oh well, perhaps people on both sides will learn a lesson from this.

Can I rephrase that for you?

"It's to bad that Cutler had to spoil the election for the centrists, if the centrists had run one candidate this wouldn't be happening."

Willin'
11-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Well, Angus...a man I admire enormously, has come out for Chellie Pingree as well as Cutler. She wouldn't have been my choice, maybe I need to do some more homework.

Thoughtful minds are still considering their options, it's far from a LePage route.

JMAC
11-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Anybody know where to find the most recent polling?

Keith Wilson
11-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Anybody know where to find the most recent polling?

Right here (http://elections.nytimes.com/2010/forecasts/governor/maine); scroll down. Or here. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elections/state/ME/governor/?chart=10MEGovGELvMvC) Nate Silver now gives LePage a 94% chance of winning.

JMAC
11-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Well then, Support the underdog Cutler!

JMAC
11-02-2010, 09:09 PM
I'm going to commit to being a positive, optimistic person no matter who the governor is...I will repeat this as often as necessary until I believe it......

SMARTINSEN
11-02-2010, 09:14 PM
Nate Silver on his blog is hinting at an upset victory for Eliot Cutler.

huisjen
11-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Well, it's a little after 11:00 PM. Who spoiled it for whom?

Cutler is well ahead, but I don't know who's reporting and who's yet to be counted. Anybody got a map that's being updated as precincts report?

Dan

SMARTINSEN
11-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Well, it's a little after 11:00 PM. Who spoiled it for whom?

Cutler is well ahead, but I don't know who's reporting and who's yet to be counted. Anybody got a map that's being updated as precincts report?

Dan

http://elections.nytimes.com/2010/results/governor

You can click on each county. They show Hancock the strongest Cutler territory

Hot Air
11-03-2010, 07:01 AM
Maine - a Republican controlled Senate, a Republican controlled House, and a Republican Governor.

Chris Coose
11-03-2010, 07:03 AM
Haven't had that since 1964.
This is going to fun to watch.

Willin'
11-03-2010, 07:40 AM
Yeah, disappointed as I am in Cutler's apparent loss, the cards are all in place for the conservatives to finally have their way.

They always talk about smaller gov't, controlled spending and a balanced budget (which somehow never quite materializes), well have at it. You won't have the libs to blame if you fail this time.

I'm cautious but less than optimistic for a good outcome.

Joe Dupere
11-04-2010, 06:15 AM
Well, Mr. LePage got 38% of the vote of the 50% of the voters who turned out yesterday. A whopping total of 62% of the 50% of the voters who turned out wanted somebody else for governor. I hope that fact will not be lost on him.

Joe, FFPoP

Chris Coose
11-04-2010, 08:22 AM
The 3 Stooges were not skilled mariners.
When their rotten skiff was sinking, Curley had the best idea of the crew to drill a hole in the bottom of the boat to let the water out.

huisjen
11-04-2010, 06:25 PM
We need ranked ballot voting: "If my first choice looses, give my vote to my second choice."

Dan

JMAC
11-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Dr Spock and Captain Kirk would have loved your logic....now if my 1st choice loses and my vote goes to my 2nd choice, who might have been your 1st choice, who is also losing.....yikes!

Willin'
11-04-2010, 10:32 PM
How about the loser(s) delegating their votes in their concession speeches? I bet everyone that voted for Libby would have much prefered Cutler as an alternative than Lepage. It works that way in the primaries, doesn't it?

huisjen
11-05-2010, 06:15 AM
Dr. Spock was a Pediatrician. ;)

Dan

Paul Girouard
11-05-2010, 09:42 AM
You guys moving to France? :d

Joe Dupere
11-05-2010, 12:19 PM
You guys moving to France? :d

Don't need to. We got a new French governor. He says so.

Joe, FFPoP

JMAC
11-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Dr Spock would have had a thing or two to say about Mr LePage's inability to get along with his peers....

Willin'
11-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Don't need to. We got a new French governor. He says so.

Joe, FFPoP

First order of business...state funding for La Kermesse. Anybody wanna bet?:D