PDA

View Full Version : Brownlow Medal

switters
09-20-2010, 01:03 PM
So I'm catching up on the bottom half of the world and all I see is news about the brownlow medal. I read 4 articles and none of them state what sport it was for. The first headline I read had me thinking it was a political thing, but realized it was sort of sport award. I think I was confusing Judd with Rudd for a bit.

What is the significance of the brownlow and.. nevermind I found it on wiki.

No wait, still confused.

Is ALF the same as rugby? If so why isn't it called rugby?

PatrickXavier
09-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Is ALF the same as rugby? If so why isn't it called rugby?
No, AFL is a domestic Australian sport, to avoid the ignominy of continuously being defeated by New Zealanders.

Larks
09-20-2010, 03:46 PM
AFL is the Australian Football League, it used to be the VFL, Victorian Football League until it spread further afield to include teams from Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth. It is what you might hear called Aussie Rules.
The Brownlow Medal is accross the League and is awarded to the player who achieves the most accumulated votes throughout the season for best and fairest player on the ground as voted by the on-field umpires.

seanz
09-20-2010, 03:54 PM
It's similar to MVP but the ref has to like you too.

The rooly good medal (IMHO) is the Norm Smith medal.....I think the Brownlow is over-hyped juuuuuust a little bit.

No, AFL is a domestic Australian sport, to avoid the ignominy of continuously being defeated by New Zealanders.

Or it's to keep the Kiwis in NSW and Queensland......
;)

The Bigfella
09-20-2010, 04:02 PM
I thought the Brownlow was awarded to the player who brought the best talent to the awards ceremony.

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2010/09/20/1225927/026179-chris-judd.jpg

Curtism
09-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Looking at the photos, one might think it's an award for fine looking sheila's who are willing to hang out with the homeliest blokes.

http://www.theage.com.au/photogallery/lifestyle/fashion/2010-brownlow-medal-blue-carpet/20100920-15jf2.html

Is that common among men over theya or is it primarily guys in the AFL? Must be a rough game.

Curtis :)

switters
09-21-2010, 04:55 PM
took me 5 minutes to figure out that WAGS probably means wives and girlfriends.

WX
09-21-2010, 05:30 PM
It's a tough game with no padding.