PDA

View Full Version : Acorns dropping

J. Dillon
09-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Seems they are dropping much more than previous years.:eek: Roofs, pavements, earth, gardens and on parked cars, all underneath the mighty oaks . Are they try to tell us something ?|;)

JD

Mrleft8
09-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Yeah...... The squirrels are getting fat. An acorn nailed Tarzan (the little gray cat) right on the head this afternoon. He looked at me like it was my fault.....

paul oman
09-19-2010, 09:23 PM
It is called a 'mast year' - about every 7 years or so there is a bumper crop. Nature does this to break out of the normal equilibrium of supply and demand and give the 'nuts' a break and opportunity to 're-establish'

Cuyahoga Chuck
09-19-2010, 11:38 PM
The crop responds to the climate. I've had years when oak blossems hanging off my gutters like spanish moss and the acorn crop almost blotted out my lawn. The next year the crop was light because of a late cold snap or a lack of water.
This year seems like a average year. Only about 100 acorns hit the roof in a day. But it may be early yet.
I put up some sexy new gutter screens that allow the acorns to roll right off the roof and not into the gutters. About every other morning two or three deer are outside my bedroom pigging out on white oak acorns which they seem to prefer.

GregH
09-20-2010, 07:23 AM
Same here in central Texas- last year we were in a drought- not many acorns. Then last winter El Nineo brought torrents of rain to put us over the yearly average. Spring brought more. Then just two weeks ago, we got 13.5 inches in just over 18 hours! The acorns from the Live Oak over our deck make it sounds like someone is tap dancing!

PhaseLockedLoop
09-20-2010, 11:26 AM
It's my first fall in Traverse City. My garage/shop has a flat metal roof, which I hardly think about except in terms of a possible winter snow-induced collapse. While installing my shop, I heard these loud BANG! noises every other day, and I thought the place must be coming apart prematurely, in some occult manner. When the BANGs got to be several times a day, the penny dropped.

paladin
09-20-2010, 07:47 PM
The trees are clear of the yard proper here, but the damn squirrels still come onto the deck and eat the birdseed while I'm sitting in the recliner. Late in the evening they will be cleaning away the acorns that have fallen during the day, and then get noisy when the birdseed is empty.