PDA

View Full Version : For those wishing to test their sense of balance

PeterSibley
09-19-2010, 08:18 PM
:D Not for the vertigo inclined .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsYNFhO6c8g&NR=1&feature=fvwp

PatCox
09-19-2010, 08:49 PM
What an incredible trail. I suffer from vertigo so bad, I would have a hard time walking it, but, I have done so, forced myself to walk trails like that, that terrified me. On a bike, holy smokes, I would not begin to be able to do it. People who have the fear like I do, the fear actually causes them to fall, the unconquerable urge I have to lean inward, away from the edge, changes the force vectors where the feet meet the ground, and make you more likely to slip and slide toward the edge. When I was a carpenter, working on roofs, my boss taught me this, the worst thing to do is lean in away from the downward slope, it makes you more liable to slip and slide down.

David G
09-19-2010, 08:55 PM
I'd walk that trail with few qualms. I'd never bike it. I used to race dirtbikes, but never motocroxx. Those folks must be very experienced, and just brimming with self-confidence. Or... perhaps just Darwin Award wannabe's?

PeterSibley
09-19-2010, 09:02 PM
There something of the latter there ....too many unknowns on a ride like that to go fast .

coelacanth2
09-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Got my pucker factor up a bit. Wouldn't mind walking that, but there's an awful lot of long drops if you ut a wheel wrong. My son got a kick out of that - wants to hike it with a camera

skipper68
09-19-2010, 09:14 PM
The only time I get Vertigo,is on a dock,watching the boat move.,I've been up 4or5storys on a ladder,but,when I'm still,with a boat moving..URP! I had these s**t for brains playing chicken with my ladder, they had forklifts,in high winds once. They thought they won..2 arms on the frame,leggs around the ladder, my mood was no good,when that was footed..THAT'S why you dont carry a gun when painting! LOL.Still docks get my tummy tho.

Don Kurylko
09-19-2010, 11:22 PM
Great, chew up what is probably an ancient walking trail with a dumbassed motor bike. Real smart! r<

The Bigfella
09-19-2010, 11:40 PM
Great, chew up what is probably an ancient walking trail with a dumbassed motor bike. Real smart! r<

The bikes would do less damage to that trail than horses would btw.

I'd be happy to ride it on the right bike. They seemed a bit over-geared for it. That's trials bike country. Low impact too.

Watching it reminded me of one trail that totally defeated me in years gone by - and I had several goes at it on my trials bike. A long, very steep uphill - known as the Widowmaker - up near Mt Canobolas (near Orange). They used to use it as a downhill section in Enduro competitions up there. I'm no trials master, but with my weight as far forward as I could get, ie, legs against the handlebars, I ended up going over backwards every time.... and the bike would end up well down the mountain. I'm sure others have made it up - but I never did.

Don Kurylko
09-20-2010, 12:21 AM
The bikes would do less damage to that trail than horses would btw.

But a hell of a lot more than people on foot! I don't see how you can justify that. That trail looks like it took ages to build up. Look at the way small stones and rocks are used to make a path where none could exist otherwise. And then some jerk comes along and rips it up with his nobbies. I didn't see these guys getting off their bikes and resetting any dislodged material kicked loose on those steep pitches. Mindless twats! Now a whole bunch of other fools will be itching to ride this trail after seeing it on youtube. What may have taken hundreds of years to create will most certainly be turned to rubish in a few years by these so called "extreme riders". What crap!

PeterSibley
09-20-2010, 01:33 AM
On consideration Don ...your point is well made .

The Bigfella
09-20-2010, 01:48 AM
To the contrary... you'd expect no less from me... the damn natural environment has been significantly degraded by the hooligans that built that track. It obviously doesn't get much use - so its good to see that someone is getting some benefit from all that environmental damage... including me - I enjoyed their video and the only damage I caused was a bit of CO2.

PeterSibley
09-20-2010, 02:20 AM
Feeling even more contrarian than usual Ian ?

The Bigfella
09-20-2010, 02:57 AM
Nah - no more than usual. The basic point is - its a hacked around natural environment. Its up to the owner/custodian to determine access.

PeterSibley
09-20-2010, 06:00 AM
Hacked around ? Yep ,it's Europe .That track might have been there for 2000 years .

The Bigfella
09-20-2010, 06:04 AM
Ahh... so only the landed gentry can use it then eh?

Don Kurylko
09-20-2010, 11:35 AM
To the contrary... you'd expect no less from me... the damn natural environment has been significantly degraded by the hooligans that built that track. It obviously doesn't get much use - so its good to see that someone is getting some benefit from all that environmental damage... including me - I enjoyed their video and the only damage I caused was a bit of CO2.

What are you talking about Ian? Hooligans...really? Not well used? Check the signage near the end of the video. That hardly looks like a trail in ruin built by yahoos out to destroy the environment. Quite the contrary, it looks like a responsible means of conveyance through an environmentally sensitive area. This trail has probably been here long before motorized vehicles were invented. And I doubt it is all on private property for the personal use of some landed fat cat.

I have no problem with motorcycles either, quite the contrary - ride them and enjoy them. But I have a big problem with irresponsible individuals who have no respect whatsoever for something that they did not create, or were ever intended to use in such a manner, and only see it as a means to a cheap thrill - everything and everyone else be damned!

Phillip Allen
09-20-2010, 11:54 AM
just another day of tearing up foot trails with expensive toys...

paladin
09-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Not anymore...but at one time 8 other fellers and I led multiple burro trains up a path like that from the base to the top of a not so short mountain...we then unloaded the burros, and after several trips up and down, assembled a 200 foot diameter dish antenna on the top edge of the cliff. The top of the antenna had a 14 inch wide catwalk across the top to assist in "tweaking" various parts of it

Don Kurylko
09-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Okay, I know when to quit. But I was refering to the part where the guy had to go up and over those steep bits where he stalled the bike. I'm sure I could hear stuff being kicked out by the rear tire on subsequent attempts to get over.

These guys may have been fairly skilled at what they were doing, but you can bet that many of those to follow won't be. I just think it's a pity that people feel compelled to take bikes into places where they really shouldn't. It's obviously a walking path in this video (perhaps even an ancient one) and I think trying to ride it is just plain disrespectful. Nuff said.

Phillip Allen
09-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Okay, I know when to quit. But I was refering to the part where the guy had to go up and over those steep bits where he stalled the bike. I'm sure I could hear stuff being kicked out by the rear tire on subsequent attempts to get over.

These guys may have been fairly skilled at what they were doing, but you can bet that many of those to follow won't be. I just think it's a pity that people feel compelled to take bikes into places where they really shouldn't. It's obviously a walking path in this video (perhaps even an ancient one) and I think trying to ride it is just plain disrespectful. Nuff said.

the bikes do much damage...I despise their use in such places...much money is spent and the owners feel compelled to justify the expense...more than anything else (short of real serious errosion problems) I hate the noise pollution and the stink

WX
09-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Beautiful track and I wondered how old it must be as well. May have been a local trade route at one time in the distant past. I wouldn't let bikes near it but those two certainly had guts doing it.

WX
09-21-2010, 05:50 PM
It seems to be on the border between Italy and France. Grenzkammstrasse I think translates as Border pass.

http://www.gs-enduro.de/maps/paesse/ligurien/ligurische-grenzkammstrasse.gif

http://www.bikemap.net/route/56406