PDA

View Full Version : President Obama, Left of center democrat.

Ray Frechette Jr
09-17-2010, 09:25 AM
OK< I have seen more than a few quotes disputing the notion that President Obama is a far left Democrat. That he is slightly leftof center of the democrats.

All right, I will admit to having the impression he was fairly far to the left of the spectrum. But I am willing to look at the evidence and change my opinion.

By saying this are you saying he is center left of democrat thought among voters??
Or that there is a large minority of Democrat senators and congressman who are to the left of him??

If the thought is that there are a lot of Democrat Leaders to the left of him, Would any of you be able to list which ones??

There is something like 59 democrats in the senate right now, Which senators are politically to the left of President Obama?

If he is center left of most senators it shouldn't be too hard to find at least 10-15 Senators with a more liberal voting record should it??

While President Obama was in the Senate, which senators had a more liberal voting record than Senator Obama??

I think President Obama may have moderated his official position on certain issues as he is pragmatic enough to realize some things he might like to see in law has no chance of passing even among the democrat caucus, but as far as personal ideology, I have the impression that he is pretty far left.

Again, I am open to accepting I might be wrong on that point. It would be nice to know what senators and representatives are to the left of President Obama ideologically.

Flying Orca
09-17-2010, 10:09 AM
I would suggest that in limiting the left-right spectrum to elected officials, you are leaving out significant realms at both ends. In a two-party system, anyone too kooky to appeal to a majority of voters simply doesn't get elected... but that kook territory has plenty of denizens, left and right. While people like to play up the divide, the fact is that successful candidates lie close to the centre.

StevenBauer
09-17-2010, 10:21 AM
The whole Left/Right thing seems pretty silly to me. The world is just far too complex to break down into such simplistic terms. The ideas that the Republican Party stood for in my father's time are very different from what they are now. It seems the conservatives are all too willing to let a few ideological fringe groups drive the bus. The folks not in power now will do anything or say anything to make the current power holders look bad. If they would just work together and not worry so much about Right and Left we would all be better off.

Ray Frechette Jr
09-17-2010, 10:21 AM
There is no question I agree with your contention. But it still is an interesting question.

Is President Obama center left of his fellow leaders? Or center left of all Dem voters??

I certainly do not think he is legislating as far left as many ultra lefties would wish him to.

Ray Frechette Jr
09-17-2010, 10:26 AM
It seems the conservatives are all too willing to let a few ideological fringe groups drive the bus. The folks not in power now will do anything or say anything to make the current power holders look bad. If they would just work together and not worry so much about Right and Left we would all be better off.

Majority of enrolled party members do not vote in primaries.

Fringes of both groups seem to have the most passion to vote in primaries and they have a lot to do with choosing who we all have to choose from in the fall.

And neither party has a lock on wanting to make their opponents look bad and being obstructionist when not in power.

Yes, I agree it is unfortunate too.

Gerarddm
09-17-2010, 10:55 AM
I took a look at the thread title and I said, "Yes? And your problem is?..."

Tall Boy
09-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Seems to me, if you have a 500lb weight on your chest, who cares what color it is? What is being missed right now by the polar extremes is that on average, the majority of Americans are tired of the goverment growing in power regardless of who's in charge. I mean really, water based varnish, sucky bottom paint, where does it end. I'm warmng up to the idea of just chucking it all and hacking out canoes on a beach in Brazil.