PDA

View Full Version : LFH LEEBOARD KETCH

CHRIS TERN
04-16-2001, 09:02 PM
I must correct FOSTER PRICE on his message of Feb 2 that has just been notified to me.
TERN was built in South Westland by Wayne Roberts in 1981/82 to an original set of plans purchased by him from Elizabeth Vaughn as a tribute to "The Master"--her only deviation was to add an aft cabin two years later prior to departure to Tahiti to assist in self steering and provide a space for his children to be able to enjoy the trip secure in the aft cabin under a large hatch.
Gary Underwood on the other hand "obtained" a setof rough drawings from Popular Mechanics magazine some years ago and altered them extensively--freedom rig-a KEEL for heavans sake and several inches more freeboard--Such major changes woulf have LFH spinning in his grave--The first result was "Alice Alaqe" which is Tern in Solomans language--a repeat of these Underhoff plans resulted in "Pollen Path" built at Marthas Vinyard along with another.--Having competed in several races against both these creations I assure you there is no comparison to "Tern"--in fact a speed comparison could best be made as slightly faster than the wharf at Russell--bless Gary's cotton sox his latest creation would fall in a similar category albeit a very comfortable houseboat.
If anyone knows of another "genuine" LFH Design #107 Leeboard Ketch [aft cabin allowed] I would dearly love to here from them.
Thanks to THAD-ZANE LEWIS DAVE FLEMMING & JOHN B For their Feb input.

John B
04-16-2001, 10:16 PM
Gidday Chris... you've been talking to the Nagatira. As you saw, I wondered at the aft cabin but as you say, a relatively minor amendment to the plan and a fine addition to the concept.
Now to more important things..... that was rum and pineapple juice wasn't it.....?

John B
04-17-2001, 05:18 PM
I didn't look back at my posted topic on this boat. Did I blather on about the significance of this boat to me? I think I did.
I first saw it when it was brand new in about 1982 maybe 83. There it was on the sand in Frenchmans bay in the Abel Tasman national park. We were camping at the beach but in the lagoon/ inlet was Tern parked up on some legs.
"Neat" I thought, " Must get a boat".
That thought has rather ruled our lives since then because in late 83 we bought the Waione.
This is the shot I took in 1982/3
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1257037&a=9296203&p=46737220&Sequence=0&res=high
the next day she fell off her legs but was undamaged as far as I am aware.

Dave Fleming
04-17-2001, 05:45 PM
Oh Oh, I have always wanted to see a vessel on those legs!
Are they similar to what LFH shows in The Compleat Cruiser or are they modified.
My doodles either show bilge keels ala Bluebird of Thorne( thanks Jeff Smith) or those legs.
Correct me but did not the last Yankee by the Johnson's have a set of legs too?
Just spent some time at a designers site from British Columbia. He favours bilge keels.
http://www.brayyachtdesign.bc.ca/html/twinkeels.html...
For thems what are interested.

CHRIS TERN
04-17-2001, 06:00 PM
John B--You were missed at Kawau at Easter--not just rum MOUNT GAY is the one---pleased to see that Tern "got" you into classic yachts, you are not the only one.--The fall over was Waynes first attempt at using the legs--you have to get the angle right [almost vertical] as they are only for steadying, the 18 inch wide lead slab on the bum does the rest, any old sloping clean beach will do, cant do that with a keelboat!!--Wayne is in SanFran at the moment on project building a NEW 1903 Captain Nat 65 footer--only item they saved from the old boat was the nameplate, things going superwell and owner just loves NZ wooden boatbuilders.
Catch ya--Chris

CHRIS TERN
04-17-2001, 07:27 PM
Hi Dave--Havent got my copy of CC handy but suspect the answer is yes--Bronze plates about 10 inch diameter are put through spike at the bottom of the leg and tied with cordage --stops you sinking into soft sand--ground the boat and lower poles down each side around chainplate area--as boat settles i run a lanyard between pole top and rigging screw and tighten up--angle is close to vertical as keel plate takes the weight not the pole, which are just to steady her in case off crosswind etc--too much angle and you just might get a lean-over which likely to break a pole resulting in John B photo--only other time there has been a problem was cyclone Bola when a ploe broke in 90Knot wind and drove her 60 feet up the beach--a real performance to re-launch but we made it.
Great system for the right boat--and cheap-all you need is a clean gentle sloping beach--a bottle of rum while you wait for the tide--then on with antifouling, prop change or whatever gets you off on the undersides of boats--but I dont recommend sleeping there just in case, besides you would get wet when the tide returns--Regards Chris.

Mike Field
04-19-2001, 09:28 PM
Dave, your BC designer's liking for bilge keels is matched by my own. And they're perfect for gunkholing, too.

Soeme photos of my bilge-keeler Sanderling, for those who haven't seen her yet, are at --

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1231924&a=9316678&f=0

She's a YM 3-Tonner, bilge-keel version. Alan Buchanan design from 1948, built here using strip-planking in 1972.