PDA

View Full Version : Freezer coming open

cs
09-13-2010, 10:46 AM
I have a side by side refrigerator and when you close the fridge side sometimes the freezer side pops open just a little. You can't hardly see it, but it is enough to let the frozen items start thawing if you don't catch it. Any clues as to what causes this and how to fix it?

Chad

Bobby of Tulsa
09-13-2010, 10:53 AM
I have a side by side refrigerator and when you close the fridge side sometimes the freezer side pops open just a little. You can't hardly see it, but it is enough to let the frozen items start thawing if you don't catch it. Any clues as to what causes this and how to fix it?

Chad

On mine it seems to be how you close the doors. You know freezer door first or fridge door. We have an alarm on ours. It just drives me nuts (er).

paladin
09-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Dunno hafta drive you far do it, Bobby...?

B_B
09-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Check to make sure the unite [sic ;)] is properly leveled, with a slight slope to the back.
:d
Sometimes a film of ice builds up along one gasket (indicating a weak seal to begin with) further weakening the seal so the door won't stay closed.

Bobby of Tulsa
09-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Dunno hafta drive you far do it, Bobby...?

Don't even take a pint of gas to get there. Chuck you da MAN.

Scott Rosen
09-13-2010, 05:08 PM
My kids used to cran too much stuff in the freezer, so the door wouldn't close. Being kids, and not having to buy their own groceries, they never noticed that food would rot.

I applied some velcro tape to the door and the side of the 'fridge to keep it closed. A shock chord anchored on the door, with a hook on the side of the fridge would also work.

cs
09-13-2010, 05:15 PM
Well I looked at it and it appears level and the gasket is in good shape and not dirty. I saw no external magnets to keep it shut. BTW the fridge is located in the kitchen. When it is closed it has plenty of suction when you try to open it normal.

Chad

S/V Laura Ellen
09-13-2010, 05:19 PM
It's the new cat pilfering food out of the fridge. Just train it to close the door after it has a snack.

botebum
09-13-2010, 06:03 PM
It's telling you to eat more ice cream. Do as the appliance tells you.
I recommend Breyers All Natural Peach but it's your fridge.
Hint- If you toast one of the toaster waffles that's next to the ice cream and cut it up and put in in the bowl with the ice cream and then slather it with chocolate sauce(other door), your freezer will love you unconditionally.

Doug

Canoez
09-13-2010, 07:38 PM
It's the new cat pilfering food out of the fridge. Just train it to close the door after it has a snack.

+1. My cat used to open the fridge and the freezer and help himself. The problem was he'd never shut the door when he was done.

SWMBO came home one day to find the freezer open and everything in it half-defrosted. The cat had dragged a bag of raw chicken breast out of the freezer, dropped it on the floor and then dragged it over to his food dish to defrost. When it had, he tore open the plastic and ate half of what was in the bag.

botebum
09-13-2010, 07:44 PM
+1. My cat used to open the fridge and the freezer and help himself. The problem was he'd never shut the door when he was done.

SWMBO came home one day to find the freezer open and everything in it half-defrosted. The cat had dragged a bag of raw chicken breast out of the freezer, dropped it on the floor and then dragged it over to his food dish to defrost. When it had, he tore open the plastic and ate half of what was in the bag.Your cat doesn't know how to use the microwave? Stupid cat.

Doug

Canoez
09-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Your cat doesn't know how to use the microwave? Stupid cat.

Doug

Nope. Never could figure that out. He was smart enough to turn on the TV, but never could use the microwave.

huisjen
09-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Chad, get a gizmo called a Kill-A-Watt. Plug in the fridge through it. After a day or so, it will tell you what your daily power consumption is. Make a guess at how fast electricity prices are going up, and look at the price and efficiency of new models. Chances are good that the answer is to get a new fridge. Dunno about around you, but here you can check a Kill-A-Watt out from the library for temporary use.

Dan

botebum
09-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Nope. Never could figure that out. He was smart enough to turn on the TV, but never could use the microwave.My cat used to watch TV. I'd switch over to Lassie just to piss him off.
He was pretty cool. Damn near tore my ex-wife's face off. Can't beat that. Even the judge laughed.

Doug

Vince Brennan
09-13-2010, 08:20 PM
Check the door gasket. If it's old and brittle, or if it's dirty, or if it's obstructed by anything it may not be making a tight seal.

If there is a magnet involved in holding the door closed, check to make sure it isn't dirty or obstructed.

Check to make sure the unit is properly leveled, with a slight slope to the back.
+1 on this, especially having it tilted back ever so slightly to ensure the door closes. Magnets are located IN the gasket material.

(Gee! I got to correct a Donn Typo! Rara avis, that!)

Ed Harrow
09-13-2010, 09:47 PM
The one we have at the moments (and the one before, I'm pretty certain) - both top freezer units, have a trap door between the freezer and the fridge portion. This lets the cold air from the freezer down into the fridge portion to cool it. Lowering the fridge temp opens the trap door more. Anyway, when one door is closed, esp if with a bit of verve, the other door will pop open.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-14-2010, 04:23 AM
This may sound daft, but give it a complete defrost, then start again.

Worked for me.

Syed
09-14-2010, 05:42 AM
Slam A and tap B. Very soon you will develop the good habit.

Mrleft8
09-14-2010, 10:16 AM
You could just lean a stepladder up against the freezer door.... (I just prop Carter up against ours.) :D

Michael Beckman
09-15-2010, 01:25 PM
http://www.paragonsports.com/images/medium/5303-p450_bungee13_pd.jpg

Canoez
09-15-2010, 01:30 PM
You could just lean a stepladder up against the freezer door.... (I just prop Carter up against ours.) :D

Carter's tall enough to reach the freezer? Oh yeah, you've got a side-by-side, dontcha?

TomF
09-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Chad,

If you ate a bit more, after a little while the fridge door might be able to close. When you buy food, the fridge is only supposed to be temporary storage. :D