PDA

View Full Version : Band Aid recommendation needed.

J. Dillon
09-13-2010, 09:39 AM
The one's I have been using always fall off.:(

The welded on variety used in a hospital after an operation .. almost impossible to remove. :mad: What are your experiences ?

JD

J P
09-13-2010, 09:41 AM
duct tape

Ian McColgin
09-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Duct tape is really the best. One version of the invention of duct tape was as a WWII battle dressing. There are a number of other predecessors to what we know as duct tape, including gaffer's tape and fifty mile an hour tape. "Duct tape" as a post war marketing term that is really odd since one of the few jobs the stuff does not do as well as other products is repair ducts. I hate to support megacorporations but the 3M duct tape is the only one to use. Just as no tool kit is complete without a roll, so too a roll should be in every emergency medical kit.

Among other things it does better, I found it the perfect emergency seal for a punctured lung. Does everything from holding dressings against all weather and hostile conditions to maintaining a splint to very useful as a restraint.

Canoez
09-13-2010, 09:56 AM
The cloth-based ones seem to stick the best.

+1 - particularly the 'Band-Aid' brand-name waterproof ones.

paladin
09-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Clean the area that you need it to stick to well......I have to change bandages daily over my catheter, and it tears up the skin so I gotta really scrub the area all around. It cleans the natural oils from the area that the bandage has to attach to. In addition to the dual port thingy in my heart/chest, I have a temp in the neck on the left side and two more on the right arm. All the bandages and sterile pads are either band-aid or Curad(e) and they hold like grim death. After they remove one of the bandages it takes a week for the skin to heal, even with daily , or twice daily, antiseptic cleaning.

Canoez
09-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Clean the area that you need it to stick to well......I have to change bandages daily over my catheter, and it tears up the skin so I gotta really scrub the area all around. It cleans the natural oils from the area that the bandage has to attach to. In addition to the dual port thingy in my heart/chest, I have a temp in the neck on the left side and two more on the right arm. All the bandages and sterile pads are either band-aid or Curad(e) and they hold like grim death. After they remove one of the bandages it takes a week for the skin to heal, even with daily , or twice daily, antiseptic cleaning.

Trick from a nurse friend to help with the removal - use a cotton ball or swab with a bit of baby oil to soften the adhesive before pulling them off. (If you can work under the adhesive from the edge, so much the better.) Then clean/wipe with sterile alcohol pads before putting on the new ones.

paladin
09-13-2010, 12:03 PM
Yup...am onto that one....still tears up the skin. I sent Dee out for a bunch of stuff this morning at the local pharmacy and the nosy lady there started quizzing her about buying so much stuff...seems that the local gestapo are looking for someone that was wounded in the last couple of days....

paul oman
09-13-2010, 01:54 PM
chuck - you're not robbing banks again, are you, pal?

Vince Brennan
09-13-2010, 02:06 PM
chuck - you're not robbing banks again, are you, pal?

If he was, the bank would never know it....

Phillip Allen
09-13-2010, 02:10 PM

at last...the noodley appendages are located...! :)

paladin
09-13-2010, 02:25 PM
ya know what the feller said when asked why he robbed banks....."cause that's where the money is"......

Y Bar Ranch
09-13-2010, 02:36 PM
Can always use some non-permeable gauze underneath the self-sticky wrap.

TerryLL
09-13-2010, 03:15 PM
These are the best. Coverlet by BSN Medical. Might have to go to a medical supply store to find them.

http://images.allegrocentral.com/A7/A2/Coverlet-Adhesive-Dressing-2-x-3-190499-PRODUCT-MEDIUM_IMAGE.jpg

OconeePirate
09-13-2010, 05:04 PM
I wish I could remember the brand.... I had some that I got at the dollar store that were made of super thin plastic that stuck wonderfully. They had both the normal waxed stuff over the adhesive that you peeled off and then once it was in place there was a secondary backing that you peel off leaving just the thin film to hold the bandage on.

If you have to bandage alot and have issues with the tape sticking too well I'd recommend the paper stuff, it doesn't stay put nearly as well as other tape does but it also seems to leave your skin in place afterwards. I've taken to using it to bandage customers, but usually have to wrap it all the way around if possible.

seanz
09-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Duct tape is really the best. One version of the invention of duct tape was as a WWII battle dressing. There are a number of other predecessors to what we know as duct tape, including gaffer's tape and fifty mile an hour tape. "Duct tape" as a post war marketing term that is really odd since one of the few jobs the stuff does not do as well as other products is repair ducts. I hate to support megacorporations but the 3M duct tape is the only one to use. Just as no tool kit is complete without a roll, so too a roll should be in every emergency medical kit.

Among other things it does better, I found it the perfect emergency seal for a punctured lung. Does everything from holding dressings against all weather and hostile conditions to maintaining a splint to very useful as a restraint.

I learn a lot on this forum.
:)

botebum
09-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Band-Aids are for little girls.
Black electrical tape holding a McDonald's napkin over the wound will stem the flow from anything, surprise amputation to "I guess I'm not pregnant.".

Doug

Nicholas Scheuer
09-13-2010, 07:04 PM
Use one large enough to completely encircle the finger or whatever, so it adheres to itself.

huisjen
09-13-2010, 07:44 PM
Curad was making those "extreme lengths" ones, and they were great for fingers because they had some extra length on one end to wrap around. Curad seems to have gone away.

Since I can't get Curad, I now stick with Rite-Aid brand cloth bandages. I don't like Band-Aid brand. They come apart too easy and the adhesive is gooey.

Dan

J. Dillon
09-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Thanks for all the recommendations. For now I'm going with the the duct tape solution :ycool:as suggested by Ian. Tape is on "hand" and we'll see how it works. Trouble with aging, is dry skin. My left hand index finger knuckle cracks open easily. (right too) Hand usage ( fist fights and such)just compounds the situation.

Thanks all

JD

botebum
09-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Band-Aids are for little girls.

Doug

Curad was making those "extreme lengths" ones, and they were great for fingers because they had some extra length on one end to wrap around. Curad seems to have gone away.

Since I can't get Curad, I now stick with Rite-Aid brand cloth bandages. I don't like Band-Aid brand. They come apart too easy and the adhesive is gooey.

DanDo you use a pink hammer too?:p

Doug

paladin
09-13-2010, 09:38 PM
all I see in use in the clinics in Annapolis are Curad....sometimes Band aid stuff. The stuff I used tonight came from CVS pharmacy, but seems identical to the CURAD stuff.