PDA

View Full Version : Scombroid poisoning...



Tar Devil
09-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Ya just never know when you get a bad piece of tuna! WHAT a NIGHT!

PatCox
09-12-2010, 09:09 PM
I never heard of it, you get it from Tuna? Tuna is the one fish that is supposedly so safe, you can eat it raw. The health regulations in my state allow sushi restaurants to sell fresh raw tuna, but everything else has to be deep frozen, to a very low temperature, for a specified time, before it can be defrosted and sold raw, apparently this deep-freezing is as effective as cooking in killing microbes. Or at least it kills parasites, I'm not sure.

The Bigfella
09-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Sheesh... I've got some tuna sandwich here right now and I go and open this.....

katey
09-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Oh yuck. Hope you're over it.

Shang
09-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Humans have been consuming raw foods including fish for millennia and have survived, and the Japanese in particular have a long tradition of eating sashimi, raw seafood. Nevertheless, there are hazards to be considered:

“Free range” tuna, caught from the sea, contains a substantially high level of mercury. The mercury in tuna has been linked to brain damage and to some types of cancer. Cooking nor freezing does not mitigate the dangers of mercury.
Pen-raised tuna are often cultivated in unsanitary conditions, and are treated with antibiotics to lessen the risk of infections, the antibiotics can remain in the fishes‘ flesh for up to six months. The food given to pen-raised tuna contains large amounts of female hormones in order to increase their size. Pen-raised tuna are injected with pink dye to mask the fact that their actual color is gray.
Eating raw fish of any kind is inadvisable. The dangers of transmission of bacterial diseases is very real. There is also a lesser hazard from fish-born parasites: trematodes, nematodes and cestodes.

Authentic Japanese sushi restaurants may be expert in preparing raw fish, and make a virtual art form of sashimi but the business is not well regulated in the U.S. and there is risk in eating raw fish either in restaurants or from the supermarket.

Tar Devil
09-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Scombroid is caused by mishandling the fish immediately after capture. The symptoms are so unique there's little question what ails ya. Freezing or thorough cooking doesn't get rid of the bacteria.

Y Bar Ranch
09-14-2010, 12:53 PM
At first, I thought you were announcing the winner of the MTV Music Awards, "The winner is...SCOMBROID POISONING!"

Tar Devil
09-14-2010, 01:07 PM
At first, I thought you were announcing the winner of the MTV Music Awards, "The winner is...SCOMBROID POISONING!"

I wouldn't have been a bit surprised!! :D

Tristan
09-14-2010, 04:52 PM
Scombroid is caused by mishandling the fish immediately after capture. The symptoms are so unique there's little question what ails ya. Freezing or thorough cooking doesn't get rid of the bacteria.

It's been thirty years since I worked in marine biology and I believe at that time we believed scombroid poisoning was caused by dinoflagellate toxins that came via the food chain (as in ciguatera). I just googled it though and the article I read stated that scombroid poisoning is caused by a rapid build-up of histamines which comes about if the fish is not quickly chilled. Interesting.

Tar Devil
09-14-2010, 08:38 PM
It's been thirty years since I worked in marine biology and I believe at that time we believed scombroid poisoning was caused by dinoflagellate toxins that came via the food chain (as in ciguatera). I just googled it though and the article I read stated that scombroid poisoning is caused by a rapid build-up of histamines which comes about if the fish is not quickly chilled. Interesting.

Exactly. Turned me red as a lobster, head to toe!!