PDA

View Full Version : Boat nearing completion - Light at end of tunnel, Hope its not a train.

KM Bever
09-12-2010, 01:01 AM
After several years of work my boat is in the final stages.

I'm about to put the hardware on my 1950 CC Rivera. I've been given several methods such as using varnish as an adhesive, several different marine adhesives, clear silicone adhesives, and several that I've dismissed out right. I'm leaning towards the silicone.

But before that, I've got 5 or 6 more coats of epifhanes hi gloss. How should I apply the last couple of coats for the best results?

I've learned to hate bugs with a death wish. Why can't the just fly into a car grill, instead of being entombed in my varnish.

WX
09-12-2010, 01:16 AM
It's quite stunning how small flying insects can detect wet varnish.

Todd Bradshaw
09-12-2010, 02:07 AM
It's even more stunning how silicone can ruin a varnish job! Silicone is absolutely the last thing you want anywhere near that boat. It leaves a residue that tends to soak into the finish that will repel any future paint or varnish like crazy - and this stuff is very difficult to remove. You go in later to re-varnish a spot, brush a coat on and within a few minutes the varnish parts like the Red Sea where the silicone contamination is, leaving a hole in your varnish coat called a "fisheye". You varnish over it again, figuring that you just missed a spot, and a few minutes later, it is a bare spot again. It takes heavy sanding and/or a heavy-duty solvent wash to eventually get rid of the contamination so that the surface will take varnish again. NEVER use silicone sealer or polishes containing silicone on any boat that you might eventually need to re-paint or re-varnish.

ramillett
09-12-2010, 03:05 AM
I second that Y> silicone is for plastic boats :)

BarnacleGrim
09-12-2010, 10:49 AM
I believe white lead paste is the traditional type of bedding compound. Then there is 3M 5200 and the Sikaflex line of goop, I think that's a solid choice, but so far I haven't had to try taking apart or removing the stuff. For that there's polysulfide, but I don't know how that works. Silicone is bedding compound for loos only.

SchoonerRat
09-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Dolfinite. It's traditional, stays flexible, wood colored. Just don't use it where there is any contact with bare wood.

I even use it for bedding deck hardware on FRP.

KM Bever
09-12-2010, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the info. I've got 3m5200 and Sikaflex. A buddy has some Dolfinite. So, I have a test board that I did testing with the stain and varnish that I can play with the cleats.

Once again, thanks

God Bless
KM Bever

SchoonerRat
09-13-2010, 12:15 AM
Stay away from the 5200. It's an adhesive, and a bloody strong one. Don't use it on anything that you think anybody might want to take off the boat -- ever.

CundysHarbor
09-13-2010, 10:20 AM
I've used clear silicone for bedding those things that I like to remove every year. Things like cleats that are through bolted, fire extinguisher bracket etc. are much easier to remove than paint around. I've never had a problem with fisheyes in the repaint. I do remove all traces of the bedding and sand the area. In fact, I have done the same thing with varnished spars without a problem.
Dave

nedL
09-13-2010, 11:24 AM
I think I'd be inclined to ask you you are planning to use her? If she is going to be kept well covered when not in use (maybe even on a trailer in a garage), I don't think I'd use any bedding compound for the deck hardware. Why make it any harder to remove the hardware that it has to be in the future for varnishing. If she is going to be wet stored & in the weather a fair bit of the time, then yes, something like dolfinite.

SamSam
09-13-2010, 12:17 PM
But before that, I've got 5 or 6 more coats of epifhanes hi gloss. How should I apply the last couple of coats for the best results?

I've learned to hate bugs with a death wish. Why can't the just fly into a car grill, instead of being entombed in my varnish.If thickness per coat is not an issue, you might try padding on the last few coats, which is using a cloth pad (or foam sponge) instead of a brush to apply. The thin coat's surface dries quickly and prevents bugs and dust from sinking in and becoming mired in varnish. I'm not sure how the process works with hi gloss, though.

donald branscom
09-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Not one photo???

Sailor
09-15-2010, 06:01 PM
That's because it didn't happen, No pics no proof, didn't happen. :D

Dan McCosh
09-15-2010, 06:37 PM
I think I'd be inclined to ask you you are planning to use her? If she is going to be kept well covered when not in use (maybe even on a trailer in a garage), I don't think I'd use any bedding compound for the deck hardware. Why make it any harder to remove the hardware that it has to be in the future for varnishing. If she is going to be wet stored & in the weather a fair bit of the time, then yes, something like dolfinite. Someone else might want to get the boat wet. Most of the rot on our boat was due to lack of bedding deck hardware.