PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Degree in Terrorism

Scott Rosen
09-11-2010, 10:55 AM
I read in the NYT today that right wing terror groups attract more engineers. While leftist groups attract lawyers, philosophers and humanities students.

There's a deep message there, but I can't figure out what it is ....

Phillip Allen
09-11-2010, 11:02 AM
what's a terror group?

Phillip Allen
09-11-2010, 12:26 PM
:) .

LeeG
09-11-2010, 03:26 PM
I would guess that right wing terrorist groups build better bombs

Tristan
09-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Jeeze, right wingers are scary enough but a right wing TERRORIST? Crap! What do they do, vote for Sarah Palin before they pull the trigger on a suicide bomb?

Phillip Allen
09-11-2010, 04:27 PM
I would guess that right wing terrorist groups build better bombs

...and left wing terrorists build bitter bombs.

bobbys
09-11-2010, 04:33 PM
I read in the NYT today that right wing terror groups attract more engineers. While leftist groups attract lawyers, philosophers and humanities students.

There's a deep message there, but I can't figure out what it is .....

Your first mistake was reading the NYTs.........

Keith Wilson
09-11-2010, 06:03 PM
A lot of Islamist terrorists have been engineers. Are they right-wing or left-wing? Conservative, I guess (reactionary, actually) but they don't really fit on the scales of Western politics.

right wingers are scary enough but a right wing TERRORIST?The second most destructive terrorist attack in the history of the US (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City_bombing) was done by a homegrown right-winger in 1995.

Scott Rosen
09-11-2010, 06:05 PM
For example, a large portion of al qaida are engineers.

The Beider-Manhoff group (sp?) was mostly humanities types. Both made good bombs, the lefties maybe a bit better.

I have nothing against engineers or liberal arts types. I just think it's a curious fact.

Dane Allen
09-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Can anyone name a right wing terror group? I don't know of any. Left wing terror groups, on the other hand, are plentiful and their numbers are growing.

Keith Wilson
09-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Eh? Every Islamist terror group would be considered very, very conservative within the context of their culture. They certainly aren't left-wing by any reasonable standard.

Peerie Maa
09-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Can anyone name a right wing terror group? I don't know of any. Left wing terror groups, on the other hand, are plentiful and their numbers are growing.

Was Timothy McVeigh not right wing, or is that just an European perspective of USA politics?

Flying Orca
09-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Can anyone name a right wing terror group? I don't know of any.

The Army of God? The Contras? The loyalist extremists in the Irish Troubles? Practically all of the Islamic terrorist organizations are ultra-conservative, too.

Osborne Russell
09-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Homocentrism. Who, having acquired power, would not use it? Engineering is power. The engineer is innocent, the engineer is right. The engineer also has power. There's a reason for it all, and for some reason a perverse resistance to it, which is really what the power is for. Not just self-interest, but something grander, you know.

Phillip Allen
09-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Was Timothy McVeigh not right wing, or is that just an European perspective of USA politics?

McVeigh was angry about the government murders down at Waco

Flying Orca
09-12-2010, 12:05 PM
McVeigh was angry about the government murders down at Waco

...and he was a right-wing terrorist. (Edited to add: Phillip, isn't it a bit disingenuous to call the government's actions at Waco "murder"? It is after all a legal term, and I don't believe anyone has been convicted.)

Phillip Allen
09-12-2010, 12:53 PM
...and he was a right-wing terrorist. (Edited to add: Phillip, isn't it a bit disingenuous to call the government's actions at Waco "murder"? It is after all a legal term, and I don't believe anyone has been convicted.)

a lack of conviction is not an indication of no crime...never has been...I think it very likely that murder took place and by our government. Timmy had problems gettin at the perps though so he chose kill the luggage and boys (with acknowledgement to bill shakespere)

bobbys
09-12-2010, 01:00 PM
...and he was a right-wing terrorist. (Edited to add: Phillip, isn't it a bit disingenuous to call the government's actions at Waco "murder"? It is after all a legal term, and I don't believe anyone has been convicted.).

Do you think the Government "saved" the children there from a Preacher by burning them alive?

Phillip Allen
09-12-2010, 01:06 PM

Do you think the Government "saved" the children there from a Preacher by burning them alive?

my ditsey cousin thought so...

bobbys
09-12-2010, 01:09 PM
my ditsey cousin thought so....

Perhaps she believes in.

Jobs Saved to........

Phillip Allen
09-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Mr. Orca may want to read his own post/thread... http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?119661-US-soldiers-killed-Afghan-civilians-for-sport-Guardian-UK-story

SamSam
09-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Take three steps back there bucko....... More Engineers are Conservatives than Liberal Arts "professions". STOP... Now...from each of those populations, there are always idiots. STOP... now from those populations of idiots.. you get your "terrorists".

Physics have some very good lessons aside from being handy in advancing your quality of life when harnessed.... some of those lessons include:

1) The laws of physics are generally pretty black and white. You can bet your life on most of them
2) The laws of physics aren't touchy feely and don't involve the use of crystals, fairy dust, chicken bones, nor charms. Hippies generally need not apply.
3) People who don't understand the laws of physics yet make decisions that actually require their understanding.. often look very very silly.
4) Physics and Science are bodies of knowledge that build upon themselves over time. They require one to PROVE what they think is true before you get to add your "idea" to this body of knowledge. If you are not a cynical and analytical thinker..you don't get to participate (well you can try, but see lesson #3 above).
5) Emotion doesn't cut it, cold rational thought is how you figure out how to take a pile of dirt, and turn it into Iron, then Steel, then the car you drive.

the "Deep Message" here is that if you don't dig into a subject, YOU can look pretty silly.
With all that going for them, how did they manage to get us into this Middle East mess?

bobbys
09-12-2010, 01:32 PM
With all that going for them, how did they manage to get us into this Middle East mess?.

With the 20/20 benefit of hindsight why are we still there complete with Nobel Peace prize,s.

SamSam
09-12-2010, 02:07 PM

With the 20/20 benefit of hindsight why are we still there complete with Nobel Peace prize,s.

You didn't answer the question.

Here's another; we exit the Middle East now, leaving the place a mess, we say all our troops died for what reason?

Scott Rosen
09-12-2010, 03:57 PM
You didn't answer the question.

Here's another; we exit the Middle East now, leaving the place a mess, we say all our troops died for what reason?Or, alternatively, we stay and fail to clean up the mess (or we make it worse), and we let even more troops die for what reason?

Does anyone seriously think we can change the Middle East?

SamSam
09-12-2010, 04:56 PM
How did they manage to get us into this Middle East mess?

We say all our troops died for what reason?

nw_noob
09-12-2010, 06:27 PM
We say all our troops died for what reason?

For agreeing to follow the leadership of deceitful and misguided men.

Or we could leave them over there solely for the purpose of creating the right narrative. After all, there's only one way to tell a patriotic story about invading a country and leaving it a mess.