PDA

View Full Version : Spam from WBF?

vincentc
09-09-2010, 12:12 PM
I received the following email fromwbfadmin@woodenboat.com:

If you've not dipped into the Bilge of late, you will have missed something interesting. Margo started a thread, as well as created a site, as a as a positive way to deal with some less-than-positive actions threatened by a group in Florida which has now gained international attention.

Thread:
http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?119590-Dollars-in-Protest (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?119590-Dollars-in-Protest)

Direct link:
Check out http://dollarsinprotest.com/ (http://dollarsinprotest.com/)

-Scot

In reply I sent the following to Scot:

Scot,

Perhaps I should simply appreciate your invitation to participate in the forum, however, I am puzzled. Was this email sent to everyone who is registered on the forum?

What is the point?

Do I want to give money to a church/mosque/temple/etc, I do not know, and do not know what they will do with the money?

Well, NO.

Is my contributing to what you think is a good cause the purpose of this invitation?

Are you also going to call upon the Taliban to rebuild the Buddhist site they dynamited?

I do not want to give energy to that pathetic preacher in Gainesville, and disagree with the concept that a big deal should be made out of a rather stupid, and should be, innocuous act.

Muslims have burned not just books but libraries. That does not make it right. But if that little man wants to burn a few books, that should be his business, not mine, and not this country, nor the Mid-East.

What if they gave a war and nobody came?
If a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it, did it make a sound?

I registered on the WB forum to obtain an share information on boats, not to get caught up in a bunch of well, BS.

I look forward to your response.

Best Regards,

Vincent

I have not received a reply to my response. I am puzzled, Can anyone tell me what is going on here regarding emails from WBF?

Bruce Hooke
09-09-2010, 12:19 PM
This has been discussed on the Dollars in Protest thread.

Flying Orca
09-09-2010, 12:22 PM
It's worth noting that Scot does not ask anyone to donate; he simply brings the thread and site to the attention of those who don't normally sully themselves below decks. Fair enough, IMNSHO.

Peerie Maa
09-09-2010, 12:28 PM
If that little man wants to burn a few books, that should be his business, not mine, and not this country, nor the Mid-East.

I have not received a reply to my response. I am puzzled, Can anyone tell me what is going on here regarding emails from WBF?

Trouble is, Vincent, the world is watching America. This Jones creature has just been discussed on our (BBC) news service. He is making America a pariah. Now if some members of this forum want to do something about it, and our HOSTS think that it is an idea that they want to encourage, it is THEIR Forum and they are free to do so.
If you agree with insulting the followers of a religion that is up to you, but consider the damage that that would do to your nation if done with the publicly that this issue has attracted.
Mean while I hope that the email alerts the thousands of forumites who do not read threads in the Bilge to this opportunity to speak out against bigoted hatred.

bobbys
09-09-2010, 12:30 PM
As it happens, there are a large number of people with a great intrerest in this event, and Scot was merely bringing it to people's attention. If you disagreed with the motive of the effort, you could have simply ignored it..

But would people have ignored it if it was a Contribution to a Church?

Flying Orca
09-09-2010, 12:33 PM
I would think so; I would either have made a contribution or ignored it. Despite being one o' them godless commie heathen, not only do I work for a Christian charity, I contribute to them from time to time, as well.

TomF
09-09-2010, 12:39 PM

But would people have ignored it if it was a Contribution to a Church?You mean what if a firebrand Imam announced to the world that he'd burn bibles on the Sept. 11 anniversary with 50 of his wacko followers outside a small extremist (though ironically named) Mosque, and the link for donations was to a moderate Church in the same city?

Forgive me, but do you really think anything would have got this far if the grandstanding religious wacko involved was (allegedly) Moslem rather than (allegedly) Christian? Or would Homeland Security have become very interested rather early in the process?

There is a double standard.

chas
09-09-2010, 01:02 PM
"he simply brings the thread and site to the attention of those who don't normally sully themselves below decks."

Which means somebody is keeping track of what I am participating in within these forum walls and using that information to advance their own agenda. No skin off my butt, nothing really, if not interesting. Eh?...? / Jim

Flying Orca
09-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Erm, I think the e-mail went to all members, not just non-Bilge rats. I base this conclusion on the fact that I received it, too. :D

sailboy3
09-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Honestly, if your one post in two years is just to bitch about being sent an email drawing a charitable site started by a forumite to everyone's attention... You might as well complain about The Bilge existing.

Tom Montgomery
09-09-2010, 01:20 PM
I did not get an e-mail from Scot. I don't know how to feel about that fact.

Peerie Maa
09-09-2010, 01:21 PM
I did not get an e-mail from Scot. I don't know how to feel about that fact.

Have you got him on ignore?

chas
09-09-2010, 02:07 PM
"I don't know how to feel about that fact. " ...Fortunate? LOL

Tom Montgomery
09-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Have you got him on ignore?

I even have "Receive Email From Administrators" enabled in General Settings.

I'm beginning to think Scot has me on "ignore."

TomF
09-09-2010, 02:12 PM
I even have "Receive Email From Administrators" enabled in General Settings.

I'm beginning to think Scot has me on "ignore."Hell, one of us can forward you the e-mail if you like ...

Peerie Maa
09-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Tom,
Do you worry about how much good stuff you are missing with your SPAM filter set that aggressive? All sorts of interesting meds and money making opportunities.

B_B
09-09-2010, 02:16 PM
One post (this one) in nearly 2 years. I guess you haven't shared much, have you?
Excellent reply.

I don't much care for the e-mail I received, I don't much care to support any religious activity, but I also don't much care to read about a bunch of twits who get their stuff all out of snot because someone else decided to point out, or support, something as virtuous as a web-site which supports freedom from religious tyranny.

John of Phoenix
09-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Vincent, you need to get out more, get involved. Don't be such a stranger.

Tom Montgomery
09-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Tom,
Do you worry about how much good stuff you are missing with your SPAM filter set that aggressive? All sorts of interesting meds and money making opportunities.

Ahhh... yes. That would explain it. There is a limit to how "connected" I wish to be. So I guess it is all good in the end.

Peerie Maa
09-09-2010, 02:41 PM
There you are you see, Scot does love you after all ;)

vincentc
09-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Gosh, what have I missed by not posting sooner?
Forum sites should be like tv shows. No one makes you watch and the show won't invade your space unless you choose to turn to that channel.
Spam is kind of like the fellow who pulls up next to you at the gas station with his rap music playing loud and keeps it playing while he leaves his car. No choice.
I do appreciate the responses to my questions; althought I have some difficulty discerning how the now closed donation web site is supporting "freedom from religious tyrrany" A freelance preacher with a tiny congregation achieving all this attention, is that religious tyranny? Does one have to watch. Is the preacher sending out unrequested emails with videos of the intended blasphemy? I trust Scot has good intentions and I have no problem with un-invited boat email.
Back when people opposed the Vietnam war, they burned the flag, and that act was protected as free speech, even though such action deeply offended many people, especially those who fought or sacrificed for the country represented by that flag. What does giving money to a purportedly offended mosque achieve in response somone's excercise of speech with which you disagree?

Joe (SoCal)
09-09-2010, 03:08 PM
One post (this one) in nearly 2 years. I guess you haven't shared much, have you?

TWICE in one day I agree with Don{n} how oh how is this possible ???????????????? ;)

Joe (SoCal)
09-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Er..Jim? Everybody (who hasn't edited their general settings) got the email.

Funny I wonder why I didn't get the email................... oh wait, I know why ;) But I did contribute to the cause anyway ;)

Peerie Maa
09-09-2010, 03:13 PM
GWhat does giving money to a purportedly offended mosque achieve in response somone's excercise of speech with which you disagree?

It is a way to demonstrate that you are not a hate riddled bigot. You can of course remain silent on the issue if you choose to.

They came first for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up.

skipper68
09-10-2010, 08:57 PM
I didn't get a email.. I'm going to the ignore thread,and complain....

Lucky Luke
09-10-2010, 10:11 PM
I didn't get a email.. I'm going to the ignore thread,and complain....

:D :D :D

This is effectively becoming laughable!

On one side you have those who feel hurt deep in their flesh: Ooooh my Geeee, I got an unwanted mail...EEEEK! That is intrusion in my privacy! I am "here" only to profit freely of advices for my boatbuilding, not to receive "unwanted" information, huh huuh huuuuh!!! (cries!) ......Am I watching "unwanted" adverts on TV, you ask?? Huh...well....why do you ask?: I am American: I have the right to receive adverts on TV or to shut down the receiver, if I want...!

On the other side, you've got some coming with a sad face: sniff....snifff....Scot has not sent me THE mail...sniff...sniff! Scot does not love me ...sniff...why nobody loves me...I am so miserable...

headonz
09-10-2010, 10:23 PM

On one side you have those who feel hurt deep in their flesh: Ooooh my Geeee, I got an unwanted mail...EEEEK! That is intrusion in my privacy! I am "here" only to profit freely of advices for my boatbuilding, not to receive "unwanted" information, huh huuh huuuuh!!! (cries!) ......Am I watching "unwanted" adverts on TV, you ask?? Huh...well....why do you ask?: I am American: I have the right to receive adverts on TV or to shut down the receiver, if I want...!

On the other side, you've got some coming with a sad face: sniff....snifff....Scot has not sent me THE mail...sniff...sniff! Scot does not love me ...sniff...why nobody loves me...I am so miserable...

Thats it Lucky .......... the whole world has gone mad ......... and we are just watching it happen , right here ;)

bobbys
09-10-2010, 10:24 PM

On the other side, you've got some coming with a sad face: sniff....snifff....Scot has not sent me THE mail...sniff...sniff! Scot does not love me ...sniff...why nobody loves me...I am so miserable....

Go ahead and laugh at our pain!LOL

ramillett
09-10-2010, 11:04 PM
vincentc I'm not big on spam , and I got this Email too :( I did not open it , for fear of bugs . After reading your posts , I think you might have fun and blow off some steam with this group :)

Dane Allen
09-12-2010, 10:36 AM
I was disturbed too. Islam has enough money, so much in fact that they can pay the families or people who die killing other innocent people. They also use children and the mentally impaired to carry out attacks too but why let that get in the way of a good liberal knee jerk?

Flying Orca
09-12-2010, 10:38 AM
You know what you should do with that unreasonably broad brush of yours, Dane? I have a suggestion...

Peerie Maa
09-12-2010, 10:48 AM
vincentc I'm not big on spam , and I got this Email too :( I did not open it , for fear of bugs . After reading your posts , I think you might have fun and blow off some steam with this group :)

If you are using that nice Mr Gate's Outlook, you can open emails in safety to check for bugs. Just right click on the title and open "Properties" from the drop down menu. Then go to "Details" and "Message source", it will open as code so you can see if it looks OK.