PDA

View Full Version : Double ender outboard bracket

gibetheridge
09-05-2010, 12:08 AM
I'm at the point in the build where I have to decide how I'm going to mount an outboard as close to the centerline as possible without using a well. The boat is 21 feet long, modeled after a New Bedford Whaleboat, and will be decked for about 4' at each end, so I won't be able to access the outboard for tilting, starting, shifting or steering. The smallest outboard I've seen that has power tilt, electric start and remote shifting and steering is a Yamaha 8HP high thrust model, about 100 pounds. I'm considering hard mounting it and, since I don't want to clutter the interior with a steering wheel, steering with a folding rudder, would like to see/hear any and all suggestions on how to mount it. Pictures would be especially welcomed, maybe someone has seen an effective and attractive outboard bracket that works. I would most like to build/laminate it with wood, and the best idea I've come up with is a bracket that resembles a "pink" stern. I have a lot of faith in you guys.

Peerie Maa
09-05-2010, 04:33 AM
It does not need to be on the CL. Mount the outboard on the quarter where the power head does not interfere with the tiller. You can then lock the outboard at a slight steering angle so that its thrust does not cause the boat to turn. This angle is easily found by experiment. This also has the advantage that it keeps the weight forward, the power-head is within easier reach, and you are less likely lift the prop out of the water when see sawing over waves.
Unfortunately I have taken this arrangement off of Peerie and now only use sail and oar, so I don't have pictures to post.

TerryLL
09-05-2010, 09:30 AM
What Nick said, and I'll add that you don't need electric start, remote shift, steering of any kind, or power tilt and trim. And 100 pounds hanging off the quarter is way too much weight. Go with a light weight 2-4 HP motor not more than 50 pounds. The 2HP Honda at 27 pounds is enough motor for this boat.

Mount the motor far enough forward that you have access to it. Four feet from the stern is no problem for a 21' boat moving at displacement speed and steering with the rudder.

wizbang 13
09-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Lot'sa West Indian dbl enders just put a "plank" across the back deck sticking out a bit (usually to port) for the OB. 2 0r 3 feet forwd. I was thinking somewhere between 8hp and 2hp. If a little of the "plank" sticks out to stbd., it's a good place for yer scullin' notch.

Bob Cleek
09-05-2010, 12:08 PM
What Peerie and Terry said, for sure. What you want is a quarter mounting, NOT on the ass end. Seagull (sigh, nostalgia ain't what it used to be...) used to have a removable side mount bracket for their little kickers. Spartan makes a beautiful bronze unit which has been a standard for years. http://spartanmarine.com/catalog.html There was also an outfit named Rustler that made a side mount like what you'd need. Dunno if they are still available, though.