PDA

View Full Version : MYT engine looks interesting, inventor claims 150 mpg

sdowney717
08-29-2010, 06:36 PM
Engine for car will be the size of a tin can
"Mighty yet Tiny"

cut away model showing all the pistons which move in a circular movement with donut shaped chamber. It has a lot of pistons moving and compressing and expanding within this circular chamber. So he says torque production is very large for a tiny engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI1JLbnW3Sg&feature=related

another video talking about running on fuel or air.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGlUZg2pC0Q

I hope it works out. mechanically it looks as if it would work.

Cuyahoga Chuck
08-29-2010, 06:48 PM
There are only so many caloriesof heat in a given volume of fuel. Unfortunately a lot of that is lost thru' conductivity into the cooling system. If you can salvage some of that heat loss you are in the ballpark. If not it's a waste of time.
And you are falling into your old bad habits again. We don't need a web site librarian. We all have the same search capabilities as you. You are not likely to become the wunderkind of internet snoopers at your age so why bother? I saw more breakthru' technology on 60 Minutes today and I didn't have to do any searching.

sdowney717
08-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Where is the my other forum stalker LeeG's comments??
I suppose he will be along shortly.
Nothing new under the sun I suppose

paladin
08-29-2010, 07:02 PM
That basic design has been around for a couple or three decades......

skipper68
08-29-2010, 07:05 PM
I'm still waiting for the indistructable ceramic motor block that wouldn't need cooling...15yrs ago.Now the realization is,were all going to be driving golf cart that cost 20,000$ at some point..

sdowney717
08-29-2010, 07:13 PM
I recall reading about that. It would be mostly ceramic and air cooled. The higher engine temp would have much greater efficiency.
Probably would have had oil degradation burning issues from the high heat.
Probably too expensive to cast a large ceramic faultless block. Machining would have been difficult since it is so hard of a surface.
Then maybe it cracked too easily and of course no way to fix that.

skipper68
08-29-2010, 07:40 PM
From the Popular Science article,it was a ceramic/carbon? plastic hybrid. Then-poof,gone.If a quarter of their articles would only work. Geeze,even Henry Fords Model T ran on alcohol,gas or oil. Maybe we should look back instead of forward.

LeeG
08-29-2010, 09:51 PM
Where is the my other forum stalker LeeG's comments??
I suppose he will be along shortly.
Nothing new under the sun I suppose

Sdowney, expecting facts isn't stalking. You re-post technocratic flotsam.

Gerarddm
08-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Business Week magazine had an article a few weeks ago about an ingenious new boxer-type car engine, good power, very miserly. Looked very intriguing. Getting some nibbles from the car manufacturers.

Dan McCosh
08-30-2010, 09:33 AM
I recall reading about that. It would be mostly ceramic and air cooled. The higher engine temp would have much greater efficiency.
Probably would have had oil degradation burning issues from the high heat.
Probably too expensive to cast a large ceramic faultless block. Machining would have been difficult since it is so hard of a surface.
Then maybe it cracked too easily and of course no way to fix that.

I was interviewing the head of a research group at GM that was testing a ceramic engine that ran without oil or liquid cooling. I asked him to sum up the project, and he said. "Well, it does work. But if we were making engines today out of ceramics, and someone came up with the idea that we could make them out of cast iron by just using oil for lubrication, and some cooling fluid, we would think that would be one of the greatest breakthroughs in the history of engine design."