PDA

View Full Version : Good resource for fitting mechanicals on small boats?

dmede
08-29-2010, 10:17 AM
I'm looking to build the 18' Simmons in the same fashion as Ellis Rowe from the WB articles a few years ago. It's a good article but leaves a lot detail out on running cables and setting up the helm etc. Is there a good book out there on how to tackle setting up mechanical installations on small boats? Specially need to know about building a small helm, setting up for cables, power and fuel to run through the hull to the motor. How best to do thru-hulls etc.??

Thanks,
Dave

dmede
08-30-2010, 02:42 PM
Are there really no good resources for this type of boat work?

willmarsh3
08-30-2010, 06:40 PM
The only thing I can say is to go to small boat shows and look at how others have set theirs up. Maybe some food for thought at last years Glen-L boat gathering in Guntersville, AL.

http://www.willmarsh3.net/ch/wbs/main.htm

oldsub86
08-30-2010, 09:51 PM
http://www.boatdesigns.com/Inboard-Motor-Installation/productinfo/12-431/

dmede
08-30-2010, 09:57 PM
http://www.boatdesigns.com/Inboard-Motor-Installation/productinfo/12-431/

ahh, I actually have that book somewhere, but forgot about it. If memory serves me correctly though, it is basically concerned with older inboard installations and automotive to marine conversions.

AstoriaDave
08-30-2010, 10:28 PM
Dave,

There is no one-stop resource for this, far as I know. Consider Dave Gerr's Boat Mechanical Systems Handbook, and dial back to the scale of the craft you are making. You might also want to study the way I set up my Bartender, and pick and choose from my decisions: http://www.pbase.com/bartenderdave/srfsctr Unfortunately, my photos are in chronological sequence, for the most part, so you will have to search around for each topic as you go. And, mine is an IB, while you want an OB.

Gerr is authoritative on thruhulls, by the by.

dmede
09-02-2010, 12:11 PM
In the WB articles Ellis Rowe did on the SSS 18' before he passed, he mentions a follow up article on fitting the boat out... did he ever get a chance to publish that article? I don't see it in the WB index so I'm guessing not. I was sad to read in my SSS research that he had fallen ill, I was hoping I might find more insight from him here on his work. His updated approach to Dave Carnell's plans are fantastic and great help to anyone building this boat.

donald branscom
09-02-2010, 12:42 PM
The reason for lack of response and lack of information is this:
If there is a book that tells about it, by the time the book is written, printed, and distributed, the system cannot be built because the materials are not sold in the stores. With the US economic and manufacturing in ruins there are many things no longer manufactured.

The internet would be more up to date.
Also as far as the hook up of the engine and so forth it depends on what kind of engine you are using. A modern engine, or an old engine.

The Boat catalogs are full of items you could use and I would use the parts that fit your particular boat design.
Just use the things that make the most sense for you.
As far as steering cables I would look at other boats and many times the catalogs have photos of installations too.

I know you probably know all this.
Also try to think about metal combinations that will be a corrosion problem.

dmede
09-02-2010, 12:53 PM
The reason for lack of response and lack of information is this:
If there is a book that tells about it, by the time the book is written, printed, and distributed, the system cannot be built because the materials are not sold in the stores. With the US economic and manufacturing in ruins there are many things no longer manufactured.

The internet would be more up to date.
Also as far as the hook up of the engine and so forth it depends on what kind of engine you are using. A modern engine, or an old engine.

The Boat catalogs are full of items you could use and I would use the parts that fit your particular boat design.
Just use the things that make the most sense for you.
As far as steering cables I would look at other boats and many times the catalogs have photos of installations too.

I know you probably know all this.
Also try to think about metal combinations that will be a corrosion problem.

Thanks Donald,

I guess what I'm really looking for is a resource (book or otherwise) that might detail some of the questions and issues I should be thinking about when building for a small in-board tank, battery, side lights, console with steering and throttle control etc... I know each manufacturer has info on their products installations but there must be some common sense info that you only get from doing this type of install. I mean it looks pretty straight forward but I've already built enough boats to know it rarely ever is and with the mechanicals I don't want to screw anything up.

But I understand there probably isn't a good one stop resource other than WB forum so I'll just have to ask my questions here individually as they come.

BC Bill
09-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Dave - I just finished an 18' SSS rigged with a 30 HP Honda, remote steering. I'm pretty happy with my set-up. I can relate to your question because I sort of had to feel my way along - fiinally paid the place where I bought the motor to complete the install.

I have a side console stbd side with tilt wheel, shift/throttle on stbd side of the console, all cables and the fuel line run along the stbd riser. I did not use conduit under the deck for fuel and battery as ellis suggested - made me too nervous to have those components out of site.

By the way the answer to your next question - 28 knots per GPS @ WOT with just me aboard. I think a 25 hp would be plenty for this boat. regards, Bill

dmede
09-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Dave - I just finished an 18' SSS rigged with a 30 HP Honda, remote steering. I'm pretty happy with my set-up. I can relate to your question because I sort of had to feel my way along - fiinally paid the place where I bought the motor to complete the install.

I have a side console stbd side with tilt wheel, shift/throttle on stbd side of the console, all cables and the fuel line run along the stbd riser. I did not use conduit under the deck for fuel and battery as ellis suggested - made me too nervous to have those components out of site.

By the way the answer to your next question - 28 knots per GPS @ WOT with just me aboard. I think a 25 hp would be plenty for this boat. regards, Bill

Thanks Bill, thats good info. I'm planning, tentatively, on the Tohatsu (or Nissan) 25hp with power tilt. I'll have to weigh the positives and negatives of using conduit when I get there, but for now I'm planning on doing it that way just to help keep above deck clutter to a minimum. But that's all up int he air still, I haven't even bought wood for the frames let alone done any design planning. First I need to get my shop back in order and make a new taper jig to get out the frames.

You have any pics of your SSS 18'?