PDA

View Full Version : Great Bear Garvey Schooner

Dave Hadfield
01-07-2001, 11:45 AM
Follwing the Challenging Design thread, I used the Plyboats program and drew up a boat. It's basically a planing hull, but how do you think it would sail?

To see the sketches, please access that thread, click on the website, enter the password (which is rhadfield), log in, click on Robin's first circle, and then untitled album.

Dave

dadadata
01-10-2001, 08:41 PM
Hi Dave,

being a garvey fan I had to look <grin>.

Here's the problem as I see it: once that transom starts to drag, she won't sail (or row, pole, or yuloh) worth a hoot.

If you could get the bow transom a little higher perhaps you could trim the boat "down by the bow" when sailing to lift the stern some, and when motoring, trim back.

Just a wacky idea, but the dragging transom problem is what makes it so tough. You could look at a planing dinghy hull (like a Windmill, or one of Uffa Fox's designs) and steal the after body from that, maybe, enlarging things as necessary with Plyboats and retaining the garvey bow.

Well, have fun.

Dave Hadfield
01-15-2001, 11:02 AM
DD, thanks for the comment. Do you really think so? What about the M26x that does 25 knots under power, or these big sleds that do that under sail? I was hoping that with 10 - 15 degrees of heel it wouldn't drag too much.

I realize that a compromise can never do anything really well. Still, I had hopes.

Have you ever actually seen a planing hull like this sailed?

Dave

Dave Hadfield
01-15-2001, 11:06 AM
Here's that web address again
http://wwwld-00-01-ae.ecircles.com/magic/products/gate/login.cgi?oem=ae&af=

You have to enter the password, which is rhadfield . Then click on Log In, then Robin's First Circle, then Untitled Album. It's quite quick.

[This message has been edited by Dave Hadfield (edited 01-15-2001).]

Ron Williamson
01-15-2001, 12:41 PM
Dave
you should tell the nice people that the login name is also rhadfield.It took me 2 tries to figure it out.
PS
I have no idea whether this design would work but you could build a scale model and test it.
Have fun
R