X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bobcat
    Formerly a Smallboat Guy
    • May 2007

Epoxy Containers

I have always mixed epoxy in plastic container, but they have sloping sides and so I can't measure the resin and hardener by depth.

Can I mix up my epoxy in a metal can?
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break
  • gibetheridge
    • Mar 2010

Re: Epoxy Containers

No problem. I like the WEST System pumps and yogurt containers.

Comment

• paul oman
      • Aug 2001

I have a mess of plastic/paper cups from about 1 oz to 16 oz in size... usually pour out epoxy in the smaller cups and mix together in plastic 1-2 quart containers. Hate the pumps, although I do sell them. Like throw away cups!

Comment

• skipper68
        Banned
        • May 2010

We always clean and keep the square containers from the microwave food.They can take it when it heats up,and the mini rollers fit in them too,adding extra time.

Comment

• Breakaway
          • Mar 2007

I have used cans and had no problems. ( Does anyone else make brand choices at the supermarket based on the container's ability to be reused as a paint or glue pot!)

Kevin
          There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Comment

• Bobcat
            Formerly a Smallboat Guy
            • May 2007

Originally posted by Breakaway
            I have used cans and had no problems. ( Does anyone else make brand choices at the supermarket based on the container's ability to be reused as a paint or glue pot!)

Kevin
            No, but I have an endless supply of dogfood cans that would be perfect glue pots.

Comment

• wizbang 13
              • Oct 2009

I PRIZE tiny tomatoe paste cans.

Comment

• Mike Vogdes
                • Jan 2000

Another vote for yogurt containers, just let the epoxy cure in them, give the container a squeeze and peel the dried epoxy out, reuse the container.

Comment

• Don Z.
                  Knight Errant
                  • Apr 1999

Why not measure by weight? Then it doesn't matter how sloped the sides are...
                  Also: What Mike said about reusing the container.
                  Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

Comment

• Bobcat
                    Formerly a Smallboat Guy
                    • May 2007

So tell me the practical steps in measuring by weight if you would

Comment

• Larks
                      Larks
                      • Jul 2007

I found a handful of these disposable measuring and mixing cups to be really very useful and have since bought a cheap pack of plastic beer cups and used one of the measuring cups to duplicate the idea into the beer cup (though just using the 4:1 ratio).

At work we use a set of digital scales, it's just the same principle but using weight instead of volume, full a container with whatever level of epoxy you need, look at the scales, divide the weight by four (depending on the mixing ratio) and add that amount of hardner by weight. ie if you have 100grams of epoxy, add hardner until the total weight is 125grams.
                      Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
                      “It’s risky”, said experience.
                      “It’s pointless”, said reason.
                      “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Comment

• JimConlin
                        • Oct 2000

Originally posted by Bobcat
                        So tell me the practical steps in measuring by weight if you would
                        I use an electronic kitchen scale. It has a resolution of about 5grams and a capacity of 5 Kg.

Suppose I'm using a 5:1 resin system and I want a batch of 600 grams. That's 500 grams of resin and 100 grams of hardener.

The steps are:
                        Put the pot on the scale an tare the scale.

As closely as possible, pour 100 grams of hardener into the pot. You won't hit 100 grams exactly, and suppose you poured 110 grams.

Write down the amount of hardener you actually poured.

Like it or not, you want to end up with 6 x 110 = 660 grams of mixed epoxy.

Using a calculator if you want, calculate the final amount of mixed epoxy.

Add resin to bring the combined weight to that number.

Mix

The reason for pouring the resin after the hardener is that you have a better chance of getting the ratio right if you adjust the second pour to the amount of the first component actually poured and if the second pour is of the larger quantity component.

Comment

• the_gr8t_waldo
                          • Nov 2008

buy a supply of your prefered size plastic cups.-( the folowing is for a ratio of 44/66- your need will probably be for some other ratio, so just adjust) fill one cup with 44 nails and then fill another cup with 66 nails. build a ballance beam that'll ballance out while holding the two cups. this ballance scale will now handle any amount of resin, that the cup will hold and will ballance when the resin cup is filled to the proper level. i like this way when mixing a lot of epoxie..but for small batches i still like the solo plastic cups. i just measure the fliud level in the resin cup and with a black sharpie i mark off the level i want in the cat. cup. it works well enough to over come my fears that it isn't "precise"!

Comment

• paul oman
                            • Aug 2001

mixing by weight is the best - just need a scale. But note that mix ratio by weight and different than mix ratio by volume and often the weight mix ratio is not given. - we list it on only some of our epoxies.

Comment

• ron ll
                              Seattle WA USA (Ballard)
                              • Oct 2005

I like the pump system which even works well for small amounts. But I've also used a digital scale and I put a sheet of Saran wrap over it first.

Comment

Working...