PDA

View Full Version : The next era in the Royal Navy books?

cs
08-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Following in the footsteps of Forester and O'Brian comes S. Thomas Russell with a couple of books, Under Enemy Colors and A Battle Won.

Russell's first-rate debut features taut plotting, liberal action and an attractively modest hero: Royal Navy Lt. Charles Hayden. In 1793, Britain is at war with revolutionary France, and Hayden, the son of an English father and a French mother, feels torn in half. Denied a promotion, he reluctantly accepts appointment as first lieutenant to the frigate Themis: the commander, Capt. Josiah Hart, has powerful connections in the Admiralty, but is widely disparaged among the fleet as a tyrannical coward. Hayden is dismayed to find the ship in a state of dreadful disarray, the crew on the verge of mutiny and Hart hostile to Hayden's remedial efforts. With the French in sight, tensions aboard come to a boil. Russell writes knowledgeably about lateľ18th-century naval warfare and lyrically about the sea. In Hayden, he has created a complex, sympathetic hero. (Sept.)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51zrjYaW8dL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Starting today I will find out if he is worth to carry the mantle.

Chad

sailboy3
08-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Good. I'm looking forward to the report.

cs
08-19-2010, 12:36 PM
If this is any indication, I read 96 pages before I could put the book down.

Chad

cs
08-21-2010, 02:59 PM
Okay, just to let you know we have a worth heir. This book was outstanding. The plot moved fast, the characters were outstanding and even had minor flaws that make them more real. This book was outstanding and in my opinion better written than Foresster and maybe as well written (or even better) than O'Brian.

There is only two books out in the series so far and the second one is in hardback for $30. I'm going to go ahead and get it. I lost a little sleep and took longer lunches just to keep reading.

Chad

Uncle Duke
08-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Excellent news and excellent review - thanks much!
I only wish this review had appeared at the start of my week off, and not the end..... <Grin!>