PDA

View Full Version : Syed - Where's that cricket thread?

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-18-2010, 11:04 AM
I was just getting up to speed to reply - at least we can now "mention the cricket"! :d

Where did you fellows get Riaz from and where have you been hiding him?

12 overs 5 maidens 4 for 34 last time I looked - quite a debut!

Of course, it's nice and damp today (says he, grabbing any passing excuse, although The Oval is not known for it)

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-18-2010, 12:14 PM
England all out for 233; Prior got 84 and where would we have been without him!

Our wicketkeeper seems to be much the most consistent batsman in our side.

Heaven knows why we keep playing Alastair Cook.

Riaz 18 overs 6 maidens 5 for 63. Think we may see more of him!

This game is wide open, which is nice for two friends who bought tickets.

Syed
08-18-2010, 01:18 PM
That thread was ambiguous for the lot and I was feeling sort of lonely, so I let it go. :)

Anyway, you people have recovered and so well. Wonderful performance, though I did not watch the post tea match. There are many boys like Wahab Riaz but it is the favouritism and all that which is keeping us down than we deserve.

skuthorp
08-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Thanks Syed and Donn, only available on pay TV here, which I do not have. I suppose that if I looked hard enough I could find it on the net though.

skuthorp
08-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Thank you, it's cold, dark and raining here so a bit of cricket is just the thing!

Syed
08-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Welcome to the party, Jeff.

Pakistan's performance isn't bad comparing with the past. ;)

skuthorp
08-19-2010, 11:09 AM
You certainly need something to cheer the country up.

skuthorp
08-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Best rain in 15 years so the country people say. Couldn't get the grins of the woolgrowers faces while we were away and the graingrowers are turning handsprings in the wheat.
Lot's of houses have been built on what 'used to be' flood plains, and they are again. Many roads that have been upgraded had 'redundant' culverts removed. Oh dear, not so redundant now. I had a beer or three with some long time locals today and they were discussing alternative routes for 'when' the floods come.

skuthorp
08-19-2010, 11:31 AM
We are on tanks, about 25,000 gallons stored. Tempted to get another 5,000 but it should be enough as we get a bit of summer rain here and 2 ofus don't use much. The subsoil is soaked for the first time in years so we should not need to water much.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Jolly good effort by Pakistan. Interesting match, now.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Advantage Pakistan I think, at this point. Strauss was a victim of nerves, understandably.

There is really not the slightest chance of Cook rising to the occasion, alas, so the best I can hope for is that this is his last Test appearance.

Reminds me of last Ashes where the selectors kept on hoping Ravinder Bopara would come good which he never did (he's fine as a county player)

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Reverse jinx! :)

(Cook got 110 - England 202 for 6 as I type this)

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-20-2010, 12:28 PM
It will be quite hard for Pakistan to lose, now. We are definitely going to have a result - not much chance of a draw. Although the weather is going to worsen tomorrow, and heavy rain is forecast for Sunday, there is very little chance of this match lasting that long.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Yes, we have just witnessed the classic England batting collapse - from a respectable 190 for three to all over bar the shouting with six wickets gone for 20-odd runs, all in the space of an hour and a half.

Curiously, the batting collapse started just as a Hurricane and a Spitfire from the RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight flew over (it's seventy years since Churchill's speech about The Few,made on the 20th August, 1940)

skuthorp
08-20-2010, 12:51 PM
It's 2.50am here and I just woke up. What a disaster, snatching defeat from the jaws............... etc. Funny game cricket.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Yes; play resumes from the point where it left off.

Curiously, the light here in Suffolk, 80 miles from the Oval, is perfect - brilliant sunshine but very windy.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-20-2010, 01:01 PM
I think it is fair to say that the two sides playing here are the two most unpredictable sides in Test cricket - both Pakistan and England are known for their ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of certain victory, usually by way of a batting collapse.

Today it's England's turn!

Syed
08-20-2010, 01:46 PM
They were looking good till tea break.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-21-2010, 05:08 AM
Possibly bromide in the tea?

I trust the 11 condemned men representing the Marylebone Cricket Club have eaten a hearty breakfast

Definitely Pakistan's day, today.

All over by lunch time, or will England last until tea?

Syed
08-21-2010, 05:17 AM
Good morning! Andrew

This fellow Ajmal was key factor against Austrailia to lose from a winnable position. Cricket is a strange game, entirely skills are not a guaranty for good performance.

skuthorp
08-21-2010, 05:24 AM
G'day Syed, ACB, Donn. Didn't see a lot of the game but I was surprised at the result. My picture wasn't good (the weather) so I didn't get a very good view of the close action.

Syed
08-21-2010, 05:48 AM
G'day, Jeff

Syed
08-21-2010, 06:05 AM
Oh, Broad goes.

skuthorp
08-21-2010, 06:07 AM
How are you going Syed, we are getting some awful news and pictures about your floods, and upstream in Kashmir and the Himalayas landslides and floods continue too. I gather that you are ok but how is the country coping and what is the opinion about your President being AWOL for so long?

skuthorp
08-21-2010, 06:35 AM
Evening (here) Donn, in the depths of an election count here and the govt is in trouble but the opposition isn't confident. A parcel of independents and greens may hold sway yet.

Syed
08-21-2010, 06:49 AM
The situation is depressing with most inapt people like Zardari on top. And he is there as a result of Benazir's assassination.
I was watching a TV report about flood, the reporter asked a person about their elected representative and he named Benazir. According to that reporter the people of that village did not know the assassination of their leader and they thought Benazir was heading the Pakistan government.(The village was in province of Sindh)
Recovering from this disaster will be close to a miracle.
Thanks for asking.

skuthorp
08-21-2010, 07:02 AM
Who is in charge of the rescue and recovery Syed, civil or military authorities? And are there many local NGO's in the field?

Syed
08-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Who is in charge of the rescue and recovery Syed, civil or military authorities? And are there many local NGO's in the field?

Pakistan army was the first to reach for the rescue, NGO's are also in field and government machinery is also doing their bit. Recovery phase has not started as yet, which will be even bigger challenge. I don't think it is very well organized and centralized operation, so hard to name the incharge.

Syed
08-21-2010, 07:52 AM
Salman Butt out, Pakistan score 103 for 3.

skuthorp
08-21-2010, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the score

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-21-2010, 08:14 AM
Good morning! Andrew

This fellow Ajmal was key factor against Austrailia to lose from a winnable position. Cricket is a strange game, entirely skills are not a guaranty for good performance.

Comment from Johnathan Agnew's blog: just now:

Mohammad Amir is going to be around for years. From around the wicket, reverse swing is not easy to play, and to be able to bowl like that at 18 is astonishing.

Saeed Ajmal is also a very dangerous bowler, and to not know which way the ball is spinning plays havoc with the mind and makes him exceptionally difficult to face.

Syed
08-21-2010, 09:19 AM
A very good bowling spell/attack by England. Last man out Yousuf. Good, interesting game to witness at this stage.

Syed
08-21-2010, 09:28 AM
What a spin! Nail biting moments.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-21-2010, 09:41 AM
What a game!

And the benighted heathens think cricket is "boring"!

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-21-2010, 09:45 AM
There's a breathless hush in the Oval now --
Ten to make and the match to win --

'Play up! play up! and play the game!'

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Nice couple of fours. 142-6, six runs needed

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-21-2010, 09:54 AM
There are two teams in the world who can lose from this position - and one of them is about to. ;)

Five to go.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Three to go. Very difficult for the batsman to resist going for the boundary...oops, nearly!

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-21-2010, 09:57 AM
Ok, four wickets in hand, a day to go...and one run needed...

Nice four!

It's over!

Well played, Pakistan!

Syed
08-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Good match, well played both the teams.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-21-2010, 11:32 AM
I hope the news will give the people at home something to feel cheerful about.

The pitch at Lords is daid to favour the batsman more than the Oval does. However both teams are stronger in bowling and fielding than in batting, so unless the weather is perfectly vile* we can expect another result.

*It probably will be. It's the Bank Holiday weekend. I'm going sailing. ;)

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-21-2010, 12:23 PM
The five days allowed for a Test Match and the three or four days allowed for other First Class matches cannot be altered or extended, so rain often causes a draw.

Because Test Matches sometimes finish on day three, and often finish, like this one, on day four, tickets for the last day are seldom sold, or are sold very cheap at the ground if the game seems likely to go to day five.

Other First Class games (there are lots - each Test playing country has its own national system of First Class Cricket - a First Class game is one where each side plays two innings, the pitch is natural turf on an international standard ground and there is no restriction on the number of overs - run for either three or four days)