PDA

View Full Version : So? Where the bloody hell are yer????

Wild Dingo
08-15-2010, 06:49 PM
We gots SUNSHINE lots and lots of sunshine... EVERY DAY!!! We gots everything you need for a fine holiday! Naked womens camel rides best beer downunder pearls did I mention naked womens? ooh right I did... well for the sheilas theres even the occasional naked bloke!!! HOWZAT!!! Y>

But best of all... we gots the best damned tour guide coach captain in the southern hemisphere here in good ol Broome town!!

If you wanna be regaled with brilliance bamboozeled with incredible facts taken on a wonderous majikal mystery tour of Broome the Pearl capital of Australia if not the world come on down!!!

Your tour guide will wander you around this fascinating incredible fanbloodytastic town you'll get to meet the locals see and taste the cocophony of cultural diversity that is Broome... you'll be imobilized in wonder and awe... your mind will be saturated in facts and bull****... you'll hear tall tales and true till your minds in a swim then you'll get to drink some of the most amazing beer downunder!!!

THEN if thats not enough!!!... you'll get to find out all about the little japanese fellas that risked life and limb wearing 110 lbs of weight to dive for pearl shell... death mystery adventure laughter and warm weather what more do you need!! Y>

HECK!!! You'll even get to empty your wallet destroy your credit card smash your cheque book and remortgage your house as you buy up the best Pearl jewelery in the world... BUT IF THATS NOT ENOUGH!!! You can even have a gander and buy the biggest pearl available... by then you WILL need a beer!!! :d

If all that doesnt satisfy you then maybe a sunset cruize on the 1903 Pearl Luggar "Intombi" will? imagine cruising along the turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean in a time capsule sails hard up in the breeze the snow white sands of the shore in the distance the brilliant orangest orange orb of the sun slowly sinking in the west a glass of the finest booze in your hands as you watch the most amazing sunset in the world... now dont that sound like pure bliss?

Come on down!! Your tour guide awaits!! :cool:

Oh make sure you book for any town tour between Wednesday and Sunday that way your sure to get the best damned tour you ever got!!! Cause yours truely will be your tour guide WHOOOOOOOOOOYA!!! Fair flamin dinkum what a bloody life!! :cool:

seanz
08-15-2010, 06:58 PM
YeeeeeeeHa!

Y> Y> Y> :cool: :D

Stiletto
08-15-2010, 07:53 PM
Good on ya Mate!

The Bigfella
08-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Photos.... we need to understand more about these camel rides. You can leave the occasional photo out.

oznabrag
08-15-2010, 08:49 PM
Fantastic news Shane. I think you've finally found your true calling in life!

Great to hear from you too, I'm glad that life in paradise is treating you well.

I really MUST get to Broome of these days......

I gotta give that a +1!

Best of luck from Tejas on your new career, Shane!

Lucky Luke
08-15-2010, 09:22 PM
... well for the sheilas theres even the occasional naked bloke!!! HOWZAT!!!

Really?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/56/173533822_86a5bebb10.jpg

Phillip Allen
08-15-2010, 09:26 PM
Wow! than white skin sure sticks out like a diamond in a goat's a**

paladin
08-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Damn, Luc, is that you?

seafox
08-15-2010, 10:53 PM
sounds like a good idea bout the only way I could aford it is build plastiki 2 got 40 dollers to last the next 5 days none of those checkbook creditcard and house to remorgage things but dingo I do sure wish you sucess and lots of costomers and hope I do get down to see you some day as for the shelias I wonder if their are any that would want me

Nanoose
08-15-2010, 10:54 PM
Lucky, Luke?
:D

Robbie 2
08-15-2010, 10:57 PM
Good news Shane.

skuthorp
08-15-2010, 11:06 PM
Sounds good Shane, it's snowing and blowing a gale here, 80k from Melbourne and only 600 ft above S.L.

Wild Dingo
08-16-2010, 01:59 AM
Got no bloody idea how this new fangled bloody forum thing works!!!! I gots a fair few photos I could throw up here but it keeps rejecting them??? :confused:

Anyways!!! Jeff mate thats why I no longer live in the flamin Antarctic which begins at the 26th Parallel dude!!! I get to Carnarvon south and Im in a mad frantic panic searching for thermal underdaks jumpers coats boots and as much clobber as I can get hold of!... Man its friggin icey down there! :o

Chuckster mate... Im guessin its Luc mate cause its definantly NOT me!!! :D

TONY H!!!! Dude where the bloody hell are yer??? Theres friggin Luggars in these here waters man!!!! as in friggin PEARL LUGGARS!!! L U G G A R S!!!! :cool:

on that note mate... in the aftermath and exit of cyclone Jody awhile back I managed to get into her shed one trip down and guess what I found among all the other things she had claimed as hers? YEP TRIXENS LINES!!!! So theyve survived not only the flood of a few years back but also cyclone Jody's rape and pilliage... but theyre back in papas safe and lovin hands

sigh... such beautiful boats :cool:

ooooh the weather? its a nice balmy sunshiney day around 30C (90 something F) a cooling breeze has just started to roll in... not a cloud in the blue sky the Indian ocean is its usual calm turquoise blue... same old same old mates :cool:

JayInOz
08-16-2010, 03:20 AM
Shane do you happen to know what happened to the old pearl lugger that Malcolm Douglas used to own? It featured in one of his first docos- great film! And a bloody lovely boat. By the way, number of luggers being used in Broome peaked at 103 in 1914. I suppose most are dead and gone by now. We've had the best winter rains in more than ten years in my little bit of Oz- good to see but you could bog a duck here now- enjoy the sunshine! JayInOz

Wild Dingo
08-16-2010, 04:21 AM
I will have to ask him Jay... but thats no issue I see him quite a bit lately so I'll buzz him about it when I see him next... do you know the name of her?

mmmm 103 you say?... thats somewhat contrary to some of the reading Ive had to be doing lately with some quoting the numbers in Roebuck Bay as high as 400 luggars at its peak... mind you when you read and talk to some of the old hands that remain (very few I will admit) the constant they all say is that you could at its peak walk from the jetty at Town Beach right round to Streeters Jetty in town (around 4 kilometers) without once stepping of the deck of a boat... As I understand it they burnt a lot of them during the war apparently as they came into Roebuck bay with their last load the Japanese crew would be taken off and interred and taken down south to sit out the war while the majority of the boats were then burnt under the "scorched earth" policy... according to my reading and what the old timers are saying... there are some who say that only those with good strong heavy motors were saved although that really is a bit questionable since "Intombi" was still seaworthy (just) when the new owners bought her a few years back and she being one of the smaller types definantly didnt and doesnt have a big motor... but its sailing here doing sunset cruises

Actually with all the reading Ive had to do of late about the luggars, the pearl and the divers, along with Broome in general there seems to be a fair bit of confusion in many areas with regards a lot of the history... dates and numbers seem to be a bit mmmm iffy at best and at worst differ from one or two years to 20 or more so numbers of actual registered or in use Luggars differs considerably.

A fair amount of mystery, myth and some elaboration seems to go hand in hand with many of the stories around... and my reading has really only just begun!! Well it begun years ago when I first became interested in Luggars... but with Broome and the whole shammozle of the pearl industry weather shell or pearl itself it is the most written about town and industry in Australia... quantifer... apparently! ;o)

As I recall from my many yarns with Tony (our resident "expert" on all things Broome Pearl Luggar) it seems there are few left actually operational and sailing... there was one over in Queensland awhile back the "Galton" as I recall that had a major refit and resto... then theres the one some Aboriginal mob are using teaching sailing to the young fellas as I recall it travels around Aus a fair bit... but for Broome there are 1) The "Sam Male" B4 2) The "DMcD" B5 both have been decommissioned long ago with the Sam Male back in the 70s and 80s residing on the hard in Male Park central Broome for many years and the DMcD having been decommissioned back in the early 80s and put in storage... both were donated to the Shire and finally given safety and permanent berths at Pearlers in Chinatown... the DMcD is presently in urgent need of resto work... 3) The "Willy"... Willy was never commissioned as a Pearl Luggar although at the time of the change of law to prohibit taking the Pinctada Maxima shell from the wild she was only 3/4 the way through her build Willy is also a steel luggar. And finally the "Intombi" (B number unknown by me as yet!) who was built in 1903 and is one of the last of the originals she is a tourist attraction and has been totally restored of recent years she does sunset cruises along Cable Beach every afternoon during the dry what they do during the wet Im unsure as far as anyone can tell me the owners set sail for the south... but for Broome thats all the Luggars that Ive managed to find here.

Tony did a thread a fair while ago on the loss of the "Ida Lloyd" in a storm as I recall she broke up just out from Cable beach and is still there as far as I know salvage being considered too expensive.

A final note when I was down south in the Antarctic of Perth last I called by Mandurah and had a sticky beak at "Bucchellea" B6 and sad to report shes sprung every plank white ants (termites) have got a solid grip on her ribs and keel along with the deck, the owner refuses to aknowledge shes totalled and still maintains his stance that he wants "at least $40,000AUD for her as is" I must admit I did go and see her sails and the engine in his workshop again as I did a fair few years back when she was first bought to my attention and again with sadness I report the motor is a huge rusted lump of metal very little is distinguishable as an engine of any sort up in the rafters of the shed the spars were showing real signs of their condition many with long deep cracks one the full length and the sails are full of mice and other vermin... so the once pride of the Broome Pearl Luggar fleet is no more...

Anyway I will have a yarn to Malcolm when I see him next

Larks
08-16-2010, 04:23 AM
Mate, bloody good on yer, well done - but who and what? 'bit confused - are you coaching or luggering or both? And who with? Not Coxy I take it?

tonydezoc
08-16-2010, 04:33 AM
as it happens I will be up in Broome in a couple of weeks for a few days, I fancy a twylight sail on an old lugger, any further details???, also wouldn't mind a days fishing, you got any info? Tony O'C

Wild Dingo
08-16-2010, 04:40 AM
No mate I had some issues trying to catch that buggar!!! Strewth mate hes like a tick on a roos date never still for a damned minute!!

Im a tour guide me ol sock!!! I drives me a luxury bus and yammer me lips about all things Broome and Kimberley to a totally captive and enthralled audience!!... and even get the occasional opportunity to swallow me pride and talk all things pearl diving!!! rare though that bit is... the damned pommy backpackers have that area sewn up... with Willie Creek Pearls mate owned by the Banfield family who came up during the early 80s when old Lord McAlpine came up and put this place on the tourist map with his massive 500 million dollar spending spree around town.

Anyhoooo I digress... When I spoke the only time I did manage to speak to Coxy (note MONTHS AGO!) his view was since I had no previous experience doing tours of any form that I should have a whirl at Willie Creeks tours first to get "a feel for it" then come back... so here I am doing the interim Willie Creek tours before I get in and major in Coxys outback tours!! ;o) But that boy is NEVER around!!!

PeterSibley
08-16-2010, 05:01 AM
Sweet Shane , way ,way better than driving a mine truck ...well done mate !

Wild Dingo
08-16-2010, 05:30 AM
TOO RIGHT PETER!!! Too bloody right!!! or as that green ogre says "that'll do donkey that'll do" ;o) this'll do me for awhile methinks :cool:

JayInOz
08-16-2010, 06:06 AM
I was hoping for a detailed answer Shane but that'll have ta do :D. Don't know what Malcolms' boat was called. I checked and you were quite right- 403 luggers, not 103.
Years ago I was fishing in the Namoi, just north of the Pilliga scrub, with me Dad (he was the publican at Gwabegar at the time), and two of his old mates, Bill and Syd. The river was barely moving, pumped down to not much more than a few big holes as the cotton farms had pinched most of the water. Anyhoo, we were slopping through mud gouging out mussels to use as bait- these were up to nine inches long and weighed half a kilo. That night I was opening a couple of shells with my knife and old Syd was telling us a yarn about old so-and-so opening up one of these shells years ago and finding an enormous pearl in it- and just as he said it, I opened the shell and held it out and said You mean like this one? It was bloody enormous. Don't know how rare they are but it remains the only one I've ever seen.
That trip I remember Dad and Syd were having a yarn at the waters edge, and old Bill had gone around the bend upstream to check a set line. Without looking up, Syd- who had no teeth- said "Ole Billy's pallen in da water again Barry!" And Dad said "How could you know that Syd?" And Syd replied "Cos dats 'is puckin cigarettes goin past now!" :D JayInOz

purri
08-16-2010, 06:44 AM
The Tribal Warrior Corp (NFP) owns the (now named) Tribal Warrior, an ex Broome boat built to a Torres Strait design abt 1903 (a high transom delineates these from west coast boats). Tribal Warrior does charter work and Aboriginal cultual tours around Sydney Harbour and runs as a training academy for deckies up to to Master V and engineer.

So Dingo, you run into me old mate Mark Bin Bakar and the Pigram family yet?

paladin
08-16-2010, 08:50 AM
at one time fine pearls went for 50 cents U.S. each....blacks were 60 cents...bought dozens of them and brought them home.

JayInOz
08-16-2010, 12:56 PM
at one time fine pearls went for 50 cents U.S. each....blacks were 60 cents...bought dozens of them and brought them home.

Well those pearls are part of our cultural heritage Paladin and I'd like them back now please :d JayInOz