PDA

View Full Version : Sam F Banned...

Glen Longino
08-14-2010, 08:24 AM
I just noticed Sam's "Heathen Thread" gone missing...and Sam along with it.
:d er, I mean:mad:

Mrleft8
08-14-2010, 08:31 AM
Such a sad state of affairs...... When people can't act like children what will be next?

TerryLL
08-14-2010, 08:32 AM
Lordy, when the righteous are expelled from the garden, can there be any hope for us sinners?

elf
08-14-2010, 08:35 AM
:d:d:d:d:d;)

Joe (SoCal)
08-14-2010, 09:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVX5-ADWemk

:d:d:dY>

Phillip Allen
08-14-2010, 09:15 AM
I didn't open that thread...what'd he do?

Tom Montgomery
08-14-2010, 09:17 AM
Did Sammy call Nick a liar one too many times?

Uncle Duke
08-14-2010, 09:17 AM
Darned shame... he had a very rare combination of being both totally predictable and endlessly amusing.
Oh, well.

Mrleft8
08-14-2010, 09:22 AM

:d:d:dY>

This was/is truely one of your best!!! :D

Syed
I just noticed Sam's "Heathen Thread" gone missing...and Sam along with it.
:d er, I mean:mad:

This post is 54 minutes ago and;

Sam F
Banned

Add to Ignore List
Find all posts
Find all started threads
Join Date 01-03-2002
Last Activity 36 Minutes Ago --- ??????

Glen Longino
His only offense that I saw was being repeatedly "rude" toward one member in particular over a number of days.
Scot is a just God!

Glen Longino
08-14-2010, 09:28 AM
Did Sammy call Nick a liar one too many times?

That's what I suspect!
But Sam seemed to feel so justified in his rudeness.
Reckon he'll have to adjust his notions of Morality?

TomF
08-14-2010, 09:38 AM
No... I don't think any of his ideas will change. I suspect that it will be interpreted and enjoyed as a small martyrdom.

Flying Orca
08-14-2010, 09:42 AM
I'd rather give him the small pleasure of martyrdom than exchange one more post with the man. What a wretched excuse for a life.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
08-14-2010, 09:46 AM
I have no desire to discuss politics or religion with my friends here.
Can't imagine a nice guy like Sam getting banned.
Hey!!! I have an idea.....lets discuss wooden boats.
Now there's a safe subject eh?

Glen Longino
08-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Boats? Boats? In the bilge?
Get thee upstairs, you heretic!;)

Glen Longino
08-14-2010, 09:58 AM
I didn't know Black_Jack was gone too!
Some things turn out right!;)

Syed
08-14-2010, 10:07 AM
Lordy, when the righteous are expelled from the garden, can there be any hope for us sinners?

Hope?

Entire garden is left for the sinners.

Glen Longino
08-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Hope?

Entire garden is left for the sinners.

Good morning, Syed!
I like to think we're all righteous, but not all the time.:)

bobbys
08-14-2010, 10:17 AM

:d:d:dY>.

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded You tube,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.William Shakespeare (http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/William_Shakespeare/), "Macbeth", Act 5 scene 5
Greatest English dramatist & poet (1564 - 1616)

Syed
08-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Good morning, Syed!
I like to think we're all righteous, but not all the time.:)

Good morning, Glen!

The glass is half full ............:)

bobbys
08-14-2010, 10:24 AM
I'd rather give him the small pleasure of martyrdom than exchange one more post with the man. What a wretched excuse for a life..

He seemed very Happy to me..

Hey look at the bright side you can talk trash about his life now and not have to hear his reply.

bobbys
08-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Black Jack..Sam F.. Ishmiel..(insert any other names of the banned)Im pictureing them all on one thread togeather. Whom is reforming whom at this point? I really wish we had a Davy Jones locker,just to read their exchanges on these devlopments!.

Probably more open minded and less vindictive then whats shown on this thread.

T. Traddles
08-14-2010, 10:27 AM
What a bunch of wussies you heathens are! You can't hold a candle to SamF; you have to name call, denigrate, obfuscate and prevaricate to even try to match him. Now you are going to dance on his banned grave and thump your chests as if you have accomplished something. Wieners and Wussies, the lot.

Tom Montgomery
08-14-2010, 10:29 AM
Does this mean SammyF now counts Scot among the whining Heathen?

bobbys
08-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Such a sad state of affairs...... When people can't act like children what will be next?.

What a sad state of affairs ..... When people can gloat like immature children.

Tom Montgomery
08-14-2010, 10:35 AM

Don't weep for Sammy... he can gloat with the best of them. My guess is that, upon his return, he will flash this time-out like a badge of honor.

Glen Longino
08-14-2010, 10:39 AM

Nobody gloats like Sam gloats!
Where are you when Sam gloats?

Glen Longino
08-14-2010, 10:41 AM
What a bunch of wussies you heathens are! You can't hold a candle to SamF; you have to name call, denigrate, obfuscate and prevaricate to even try to match him. Now you are going to dance on his banned grave and thump your chests as if you have accomplished something. Wieners and Wussies, the lot.

What a treat to see you back here WHIIIIIIIIINING!:D

Captain Blight
08-14-2010, 10:58 AM
T
But Sam seemed to feel so justified in his rudeness.
That's what always bugged me so dang much.

Glen Longino
08-14-2010, 11:10 AM
I never looked into that thread,but it seemed it had a lot of posts.Anyone know what happened to get it banned?

Repeated rudeness!
Rudeness violates forum rules.

Flying Orca
08-14-2010, 11:40 AM
He seemed very Happy to me..

Small wonder, that. He gave every appearance of taking sick pleasure from winding people up and insulting them rather than engaging in honest conversation, so he was probably getting exactly what he wanted out of subjecting others to his questionable behaviour.

Hey look at the bright side you can talk trash about his life now and not have to hear his reply.

I've been around here for a while, and I gave up trying to engage SamF in a civilised exchange of views long before you arrived on the scene. Regardless of whether you were there to observe him doing so, SamF earned my contempt... and that's quite difficult to do.

Captain Blight
08-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Respect is earned. And this is demonstrative of the respect SamF has earned.

SamSam
08-14-2010, 12:12 PM
You don't get banned for stupidity or ignorance, he hardly ever swore. He was banned purely for his assidity.

Keith Wilson
08-14-2010, 12:25 PM
My, this is a first. Until now he's always stayed on the right side of the line, but the trend has been in that direction for a long time. Quite a few years ago it used to be possible to have a reasonably civil conversation with him; some of the very old evolution threads were actually interesting, but lately the ratio of ideas to insults has been getting worse and worse.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
08-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Yawn... SpamF is so predictable, and so smugly and securely self righteous, I find it a bore to even read his posts now.

Back upstairs to the boats..:)

Phillip Allen
08-14-2010, 12:36 PM
maybe I'll get banned someday...just to see what it feels like :)

Phillip Allen
08-14-2010, 12:37 PM
Yawn... SpamF is so predictable, and so smugly and securely self righteous, I find it a bore to even read his posts now.

Back upstairs to the boats..:)

Can I borrow that for the next time lj gets out of hand?

Peter Malcolm Jardine
08-14-2010, 12:39 PM

Probably more open minded and less vindictive then whats shown on this thread.

This is vindictive???? Wow, you and I have different ideas about what's vindictive then....but why doesn't that surprise me :D

Peter Malcolm Jardine
08-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Can I borrow that for the next time lj gets out of hand?

Oh I understand the frustration a lot of you have with Lj...... He's right most of the time. Must be maddening.

Phillip Allen
08-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Oh I understand the frustration a lot of you have with Lj...... He's right most of the time. Must be maddening.

no...he's left most of the time
:)

bobbys
08-14-2010, 01:20 PM
This is vindictive???? Wow, you and I have different ideas about what's vindictive then....but why doesn't that surprise me :D.

LOL well i suppose you have a point there

TerryLL
08-14-2010, 01:25 PM

A decent gloat does a body a world of good. Ain't nothing quite so nice as seeing the self-anointed take a tumble.

George Jung
08-14-2010, 05:20 PM
So.... what did Sammy do to get the axe?

And who reported him? Any takers?

On the subject of Lil'.... nothing wrong with being 'correct' ('left' would be correct, btw) - but his 'presentation' could use a bit of polishing. He comes across as immature, acrimonious, and asinine. And those are his good points.

Tom Montgomery
08-14-2010, 05:29 PM
So.... what did Sammy do to get the axe?

And who reported him? Any takers?.

I'm guessing he called Nick (AKA Peerie Maa) a liar one too many times. Nick reported him well over a week ago. Scot did not respond at first. That is what prompted Sammy to start the "Why do all Heathens whine" thread. I'm guessing Scot became fed up when Sammy persisted in calling Nick a liar.

Sammy was aware that Nick had reported him and a couple of us speculated that Sammy knew this because he had received a warning from Scot.

Give him enough rope....

George Jung
08-14-2010, 05:33 PM
That would do it - guess that's called letting out a lil' more rope.

John Smith
08-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Such a sad state of affairs...... When people can't act like children what will be next?

How can one be sure he was acting?

huisjen
08-14-2010, 06:06 PM
I did my best to add a little social lubricant to that thread, but it didn't help.

Dan

johnw
08-14-2010, 07:20 PM
At first, I would engage SamF in conversation, but it didn't take long to realize it wasn't worth it. I'm not sure why people open his threads or read his posts. Not much substance there. The last time I tried was the minarets thread, and when it turned out his justification didn't hold water, he just changed justifications to something obviously bigoted. At that point, I gave up on the guy.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?106286-Switzerland-bans-Minarets/page3

pefjr
08-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Sam F is guilty of badgering. Several of us objected a few times, but SamF acting as the judge "Overruled" our objection. I guess there is no Catholic rule against badgering, so WBF had to step in and rule a mistrial. Sam, if you are reading this, just go to confession and say your 3 hail marys and you will be in good graces again in no time.

MiddleAgesMan
08-14-2010, 07:47 PM
A priest would surely forgive him but Sammy would have to believe he's sinned before he'd bother a priest, and Sammy thinks he's perfect in every way.

Sorry, Spammy--no confessee no forgivee.

Glen Longino
08-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Now what are all you yokels that have been feeding him gonna do?

We're going to start in on you Mr. Assistant Minister Snake Handler!;)

Glen Longino
08-14-2010, 08:05 PM
I never claimed to be nice!
Go ask those snake handlers what they think of Hindus.
They'll likely throw a snake on you!

oznabrag
08-15-2010, 12:53 AM
Looks like somebody finally got Sammy's gloat! 1019

skuthorp
08-15-2010, 01:20 AM
Don't like to see anyone banned, but I certainly wasn't following the argument.

Peerie Maa
08-15-2010, 04:35 AM

I'm guessing he called Nick (AKA Peerie Maa) a liar one too many times. Nick reported him well over a week ago. Scot did not respond at first. That is what prompted Sammy to start the "Why do all Heathens whine" thread. I'm guessing Scot became fed up when Sammy persisted in calling Nick a liar.

Sammy was aware that Nick had reported him and a couple of us speculated that Sammy knew this because he had received a warning from Scot.

Give him enough rope....

This may well be an accurate summation. I'm posting from my BIL's laptop, we were driving to here when Sammy's thread was pulled, so I dont know what finally tripped the switch.

Not a happy episode.

perldog007
08-15-2010, 06:13 AM
Wow, if I mashed the button every time somebody called me a liar........

oznabrag
08-15-2010, 08:45 AM
Wow, if I mashed the button every time somebody called me a liar........

That is a damned lie!

paladin
08-15-2010, 10:51 AM
I really don't like to see someone banned from the forum...any one....but it all comes down to common courtesy. It's alright to disagree, but once that disagreement is acknowledged, you don't have to continue to make it an issue. Someone makes a derogatory comment, express an honest opinion or disagreement, then walk away. Try to handle the situation as you would in your favorite teachers classroom, with your mom as the teacher.

leikec
08-15-2010, 11:15 AM
I really don't like to see someone banned from the forum...any one....but it all comes down to common courtesy. It's alright to disagree, but once that disagreement is acknowledged, you don't have to continue to make it an issue. Someone makes a derogatory comment, express an honest opinion or disagreement, then walk away. Try to handle the situation as you would in your favorite teachers classroom, with your mom as the teacher.

Wise words, Chuck.

Jeff C

SamSam
08-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Looks like somebody finally got Sammy's gloat!

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/dcr0741l.jpg

bobbys
08-15-2010, 12:09 PM
All this gloating makes me sick, Its like listening in to the girls locker room in high school.

Lets see i hear how people did not like the replies they got from him because they could not debate him.

I keep reading this sick taunt with showing someone is on their Ignore list.

If you don't wanna talk to someone and don't like the answers DON'T engage them.

People even started threads calling him out and then it was 20 to one against him..

People that proclaim themselves to be Atheists then wanting to debate SamF on Catholicism, Really now you know it was just to mock him or try and take him down a peg, Then when he OWNED you you pushed the report button.

Form groups like someone said to get together to ban people?.

How Pathetic.

SamF is gone and the brave "heros" come on this thread in thier closets safe from any reply from him to throw in their 2 cents on his caracter

For crying out loud say something to a mans face at least..

If the dude is gone and you did your dirty work drop it..

One Q when you are all Emailing each other to try and boot someone do you think your Wifes think your a real Man?.

Newsflash, They are shaking there heads in disgust!

SamSam
08-15-2010, 12:13 PM
It appears Mr jblow has also disappeared.

Glen Longino
08-15-2010, 12:35 PM
All this gloating makes me sick, Its like listening in to the girls locker room in high school.

Lets see i hear how people did not like the replies they got from him because they could not debate him.

If you don't wanna talk to someone and don't like the answers DON'T engage them.

People even started threads calling him out and then it was 20 to one against him..

People that proclaim themselves to be Atheists then wanting to debate SamF on Catholicism, Really now you know it was just to mock him or try and take him down a peg, Then when he OWNED you you pushed the report button.

How Pathetic.

SamF is gone and the brave "heros" come on this thread in thier closets safe from any reply from him to throw in their 2 cents on his caracter

One Q when you are all Emailing each other to try and boot someone do you think your Wifes think your a real Man?.

Your angst is misplaced, bobbys!

..."they could not debate him"...
Wrong! the fact is, Sam could not debate Nick without resorting to calling Nick a liar numerous times over a number of days.

..."don't like the answers D'ONT engage them."
Back at you!
One of Sam's favorite comments to us recently is, "Man Up!"
Sam will "man up" and accept the fact that his rudeness violated forum rules.
Got It?
Toodles!;)

oznabrag
08-15-2010, 12:41 PM

You instigated this and got your "victory".

Never heard this brand of Catholicism when i went to school.

Have fun at your Party today.

I don't think Tom has done anything more sinister to SamF than try to start a real debate.

Have you ever heard that old joke about 'Just because you think that everyone's out to get you, doesn't mean they're not'?

The same sort of phrase can be applied to SamF. 'Just because everyone thinks that SamF's a hide-bound, abusive, pedantic, close-minded, homophobic, religious zealot, doesn't mean he's not'.

Oh, and save your silly ad hominem attacks for someone else, bobbys. I've said all this to your beloved Sammy before, and I'm happy to say that he never responds to me anymore.

Glen Longino
08-15-2010, 12:50 PM
"Just because everyone thinks that SamF's a hide-bound, abusive, pedantic, close-minded, homophobic, religious zealot, doesn't mean he's not" oznabrag

Wheeeeeeeeee!
One of the all-time best quotable comments I've ever seen in the Bilge!:D

pefjr
08-15-2010, 12:59 PM
I welcome Sam F back. He is an interesting character, and he has made some good posts that has stimulated me to research and learn. For the most part it's been good conversation and good reading the exchanges with others.

Glen Longino
08-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Same here, Bud!
Some here don't want to accept that Sam got himself banned.
None of us members can ban anybody.
Another point, in past centuries, men like us would have been burned at the stake by men like Sam.
I think Sam finds it frustrating that those days are gone.

Captain Blight
08-15-2010, 01:46 PM
I really would like to get Sam's take on a number of different subjects. But the guy is so much more concerned with scoring points and dredging up old (OLD) slights and making sure he's spoken to with what he feels is the proper degree of respect (IMO something very close to worship) that it makes it almost impossible. I asked him a couple questions a few months ago about some points of Catholicism I was unclear on. I got my questions taken completely out of context, they didn't get answered at all, and I was mocked for a typo.

perldog007
08-15-2010, 01:53 PM
That is a damned lie!
No really, I only report it every third time :D

Peerie Maa
08-15-2010, 02:00 PM

You instigated this and got your "victory".

NO. SamF thought this all up entirely out of his own head, ploughed his own furrow, and has taken a hit. Do not try to attribute the blame to the innocent, it does YOU a disservice.

perldog007
08-15-2010, 02:15 PM
I made the mistake of taking up for Sam F. in a thread once. I stepped so deep into 'it' that I had to burn my Dr. Dentons as I recall.....

bobbys
08-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Your angst is misplaced, bobbys!

..."they could not debate him"...
Wrong! the fact is, Sam could not debate Nick without resorting to calling Nick a liar numerous times over a number of days.

..."don't like the answers D'ONT engage them."
Back at you!
One of Sam's favorite comments to us recently is, "Man Up!"
Sam will "man up" and accept the fact that his rudeness violated forum rules.
Got It?
Toodles!;).

I heard plenty of nasty remarks made to Sam, Guess Sam could Take it without reporting to Mommy and Daddy.

bobbys
08-15-2010, 02:38 PM
"Just because everyone thinks that SamF's a hide-bound, abusive, pedantic, close-minded, homophobic, religious zealot, doesn't mean he's not" oznabrag

Wheeeeeeeeee!
One of the all-time best quotable comments I've ever seen in the Bilge!:D.

Sounds a bit worse then Pants on fire to me, Pot Kettle and all that

oznabrag
08-15-2010, 02:43 PM

I heard plenty of nasty remarks made to Sam, Guess Sam could Take it without reporting to Mommy and Daddy.

It's curious you should say so.

I have formed the opinion that 'mashing the button' on one's own behalf doesn't mean much to Scot.

I am also of the opinion that he is much too smart to be taken in by a group consistently acting in concert to ban their 'enemies'.

It is also very curious that you seem to be oblivious to the nasty remarks made by Sam, and the utterly disrespectful style of 'argument' he favors.

oznabrag
08-15-2010, 02:48 PM

Sounds a bit worse then Pants on fire to me, Pot Kettle and all that

And that, sir, is one of the best examples of unfounded ad hominem attacks I've ever seen.

You would be hard-pressed to substantiate your allegation that I am a hide-bound, abusive, pedantic, close-minded, homophobic, religious zealot.

Very hard-pressed.

Captain Blight
08-15-2010, 02:50 PM
So, Bobby, you think that there's some wicked cabal of Libruls here on the forum who band together and collude to stifle opposing voices? Really?

Wow. Conspiracies everywhere, huh? I shall have to report you, Comrade, in the very next meeting of the Directorate. Your method of upholding the plans set forth by the Glorious People's Congress Party Republic Commissariat is.... questionable.

huisjen
08-15-2010, 02:58 PM
The Commissar will not be pleased. This irritant was to have been neutralized months ago.

Dan

johnw
08-15-2010, 03:01 PM

How Pathetic.

Plenty of people have called Sam on his behavior to his face, and his behavior has only gotten worse. And I understand he got banned for what he did on a thread he started, so I don't see how you can blame anyone else for his behavior. If he didn't like how the thread was going, he could have poofed it.

I made a real effort to debate the man in a civil manner. So did Tom, so have a number of others. I stopped opening his threads and reading his posts because I found they weren't worth while.

I am surprised he lost it to the point of getting banned. I hope he'll learn from this, and come back with a calmer mind. I'd be happy to see the SamF I first met on the forum return -- even if he was a bit pedantic, he wasn't bad company. Gradually, his behavior changed, to the point where he's alienated most of the people on the forum. It doesn't have to be that way.

Its like listening in to the girls locker room in high school.

If you can tell us the story behind this quote without getting banned, I'd love to hear it.

Glen Longino
08-15-2010, 03:01 PM

There seems to be some tolerance here for "nasty remarks", but little tolerance for obscenity, personal threats, or rudeness. Read the rules.
As a Sam fan myself, I think he always gives as good as he gets in the way of abuse.
Sam will either come back here with renewed vigor and freshened sanctimony after a short banishment, or he will turn his back on us forever by way of punishing us, the way he did Tom Montgomery.
Most of us here love Sam, but we can't stand him. Understand, bobbys?

Captain Blight
08-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Nasty comments go down a lot easier if they're funny. I recently accused Kaa of being "One wobbling chin away from calling me 'Your dear boy.'" Certainly better than calling him an arrogant fatass.

Nanoose
08-15-2010, 03:10 PM
I recently accused Kaa of being "One wobbling chin away from calling me 'Your dear boy.'" Certainly better than calling him an arrogant fatass.

Understatement of the week. ;)

Bob Cleek
08-15-2010, 03:22 PM
maybe I'll get banned someday...just to see what it feels like :)

It feels like getting dozens of projects finished, like catching up on all the reading you were always meaning to do, like keeping up with the varnish, like going to bed early and getting some sleep... it feels like.... like.... VICTORY!

Glen Longino
08-15-2010, 03:32 PM
:D:D

They'll ban you when you're trying to be so good
They'll ban you just like they said they would
They'll ban you when you're trying to go home
They'll ban you when you're there all alone

Nanoose
08-15-2010, 04:56 PM
It feels like getting dozens of projects finished, like catching up on all the reading you were always meaning to do, like keeping up with the varnish, like going to bed early and getting some sleep... it feels like.... like.... VICTORY!

Could that be the voice of experience? Cleekster?!? :eek:

Naaa......

bobbys
08-15-2010, 05:59 PM
The flock gets sight of a spot of blood on some chicken and they all go to peckin' at it, see, till they rip the chicken to shreds, blood and bones and feathers. But usually a couple of the flock gets spotted in the fracas, then it's their turn. And a few more gets spots and gets pecked to death, and more and more. Oh, a peckin' party can wipe out the whole flock in a matter of a few hours, buddy, I seen it. A mighty awesome sight. The only way to prevent it—with chickens—is to clip blinders on them. So's they can't see.
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Randle McMurphy explains to Harding and the other parients what a pecking party is, after his first Group Meeting, Part 1.

Glen Longino
08-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Yep, Sam's dead, blood, bones, and feathers, and we're all spotted and being pecked to death...Not!
Get a grip and quit yer danged whining!
If you need to talk to Sam, send an email fer godsake!

Pugwash
08-15-2010, 06:40 PM
A mighty awesome sight. The only way to prevent it—with chickens—is to clip blinders on them. So's they can't see.
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

I never show my chickens that film.

I usually stick to Disney, Pixar or somesuch.

Glen Longino
08-15-2010, 07:16 PM
Foghorn Leghorn is my favorite chicken!

Peter Malcolm Jardine
08-15-2010, 07:24 PM

I could get you banned if you'd show me the nekkid pitchers of that Canadian teacher on your boat:D

bobbys
08-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Yep, Sam's dead, blood, bones, and feathers, and we're all spotted and being pecked to death...Not!
Get a grip and quit yer danged whining!
If you need to talk to Sam, send an email fer godsake!.

I find it very fascinating the group hate towards Sam, You gleefully started the thread knowing the High school clique would weigh in giving you cover, .

Psychoanalytic views

In psychoanalysis, Sigmund Freud (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Sigmund_Freud) defined hate as an ego state that wishes to destroy the source of its unhappiness.[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatred#cite_note-1) More recently, the Penguin Dictionary of Psychology defines hate as a "deep, enduring, intense emotion expressing animosity, anger, and hostility towards a person, group, or object."[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatred#cite_note-2) Because hatred is believed to be long-lasting, many psychologists consider it to be more of an attitude or disposition than a temporary emotional state..

SamF , Tyler, Black jack, Ish, Dutch all seem to live in you head and others.

Did The hate overtake you all at once or was it a gradual thing that snuck up on you?.

TomF
08-15-2010, 09:08 PM
Bobbys,

If you think I've instigated anything with an intention of getting Sam banned, you couldn't be more wrong. I'd like to have a civil conversation with the man, and have tried for ... well, for years. Sometimes, we come close. I have civil conversations with most of the people who support his views, and have learned a lot.

In fact, Sam got himself banned without any help from me at all. By calling someone else a liar repeatedly, it seems, and starting a thread of his own complaining about apparently getting a warning from Scot. The actual banning happened one night when I wasn't anywhere near a computer, much less egging him on.

Just because he and I disagree doesn't mean I've tried to work something out to lynch the guy - if you think that's how I work, then you haven't been reading my posts too clearly.

paladin
08-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Peter....I would have to put those piks on photobucket first to send them, and then photobucket would lock my access...so you'd never get them anyway......she was a real exhibitionist...I was always afraid she was gonna get a burn in some sensitive place while cooking in the noood.

Pugwash
08-15-2010, 10:03 PM
I would have to put those piks on photobucket first to send them, and then photobucket would lock my access

http://imgur.com/

:d

bobbys
08-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Bobbys,

If you think I've instigated anything with an intention of getting Sam banned, you couldn't be more wrong. I'd like to have a civil conversation with the man, and have tried for ... well, for years. Sometimes, we come close. I have civil conversations with most of the people who support his views, and have learned a lot.

In fact, Sam got himself banned without any help from me at all. By calling someone else a liar repeatedly, it seems, and starting a thread of his own complaining about apparently getting a warning from Scot. The actual banning happened one night when I wasn't anywhere near a computer, much less egging him on.

Just because he and I disagree doesn't mean I've tried to work something out to lynch the guy - if you think that's how I work, then you haven't been reading my posts too clearly..

Ok thank you for the reply i will delete my previous posts to you

Glen Longino
08-15-2010, 10:23 PM
The most vicious perversion of love ever posted. I hope you come to understand love before you die.

But, who am I to get in the way of this gloating little lovefest you've started.

Aw, please, Milo, what a crock!
I know every bit as much about love as you do.
Don't try to condemn me for any violation of some pompous and hypocritical standards you might have.
Next time you get a chance, ask Sam if I love him or hate him, you sanctimonious pinata you.

Glen Longino
08-15-2010, 10:32 PM

I find it very fascinating the group hate towards Sam, You gleefully started the thread knowing the High school clique would weigh in giving you cover, .

Psychoanalytic views

In psychoanalysis, Sigmund Freud (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Sigmund_Freud) defined hate as an ego state that wishes to destroy the source of its unhappiness.[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatred#cite_note-1) More recently, the Penguin Dictionary of Psychology defines hate as a "deep, enduring, intense emotion expressing animosity, anger, and hostility towards a person, group, or object."[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatred#cite_note-2) Because hatred is believed to be long-lasting, many psychologists consider it to be more of an attitude or disposition than a temporary emotional state..

SamF , Tyler, Black jack, Ish, Dutch all seem to live in you head and others.

Did The hate overtake you all at once or was it a gradual thing that snuck up on you?.

Name one person here who hates Sam.
Can't do it, can you?
You're all puff and bluster and self-righteous indignation.
As Tom F said, I had no hand in Sam's banishment, but I damn sure know who did, and I don't blame them one whit.
Ultimately, Scot banned Sam for good reason.
Get over it and quit your whining. It makes you look like a fool, which I know you are not.
If you don't like this thread, stay the hell away from it! You too Milo!
"Hatred" was not mentioned or implied in this thread until you two knuckleheads showed up!

oznabrag
08-15-2010, 11:38 PM
Bobbys,

Just because he and I disagree doesn't mean I've tried to work something out to lynch the guy - if you think that's how I work, then you haven't been reading my posts too clearly.

I gotta say, Tom, you're a bigger man than I, and I suppose I was a little harsh on Mr. F, earlier, but a good banning may do that guy some good! I know that I have spent some time out, and sometimes the lesson is hard.

The best post I ever read by SamF was on the 'Practical Jokes' thread.

The devious welder-sabotage he described was horrific and hilarious! It involved some some jackass on a big fabrication crew, who thought putting your welder out of whack was fun, three times a day, and the revenge taken upon him by SamF and his boys, there.

Awesome stuff.

James McMullen
08-16-2010, 12:56 AM
So I leave for a few days and SpamF gets banned . . . .but they still let Yeadon post here? This forum is going to hell in a handbasket!

johnw
08-16-2010, 01:44 AM
I never show my chickens that film.

I usually stick to Disney, Pixar or somesuch.

Try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaLo_0ZMtEo

There's also a Gilbert Sheldon cartoon, though the substance involved was changed, of course.

johnw
08-16-2010, 01:49 AM
So I leave for a few days and SpamF gets banned . . . .but they still let Yeadon post here? This forum is going to hell in a handbasket!
Helena Handbasket isn't even in Montana, it turns out.
http://helenahandbasketco.com/

bobbys
08-16-2010, 03:33 AM
Bobbys, you're rapidly heading for your own "A.H.O.T.F." award yourself.

I, personally, find it most offensive that you persist in your idiotic disregard for the English language, grammar and usage... it makes your already dense and overly-turgid posts even more difficult to fathom.

Sam has earned the dis-approbation of the majority of forumites in the same way that Dutch, Black-jack and Tyler Durden managed. Indeed, for a while I had thought them all the same persona.

All three of those had their proponents here as well, so feel free to continue to support the insupportable. There is a great tradition thereof here.

For myself, I'm quite happy not to read the continuing circular arguments that Sam seemed to thrive on. I've been living aloft for the last six months and find that a trip or two down "here" is, while obligatory, still somewhat unsettling.

Back aloft for me!.

Eskimo proverb.

You never really know your friends from your enemies until the ice breaks.

johnw
08-16-2010, 01:05 PM

Eskimo proverb.

You never really know your friends from your enemies until the ice breaks.
Plenty of people on this forum have been given a time out, taken their medicine, and learned from it. I hope Sam will be one of these. But the sort of nonsense you're writing will only encourage him to think he's a martyr and persist in his bad behavior. You're not helping the guy.

Yeadon
08-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Repent bobbys, repent.

bobbys
08-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Repent bobbys, repent..

O sure just when im winning everyone over to the Sam fan club.

Peerie Maa
08-16-2010, 05:48 PM

O sure just when im winning everyone over to the Sam fan club.

SamSam, There's a couple of bobbys here working hard on your behalf.

WX
08-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Maybe a few weeks in the wild with his Bible will teach him humility.:)
Then again...maybe not.

SamSam
08-16-2010, 06:15 PM
SamSam, There's a couple of bobbys here working hard on your behalf.Well, every little bit helps and I appreciate it. Well, every little bit helps and I appreciate it.

WX
08-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Well, every little bit helps and I appreciate it. Well, every little bit helps and I appreciate it.
You're not Irish are you?
Aah to be sure to be sure.:D

SamSam
08-16-2010, 06:35 PM
You're not Irish are you?
Not that I know of, which gives me immunity if I do anything Irishlike. |;)

SMARTINSEN
08-16-2010, 06:36 PM
You can say what you like about Sam, but one thing for sure is that he really knew how to keep a thread running.

He seems to be doing pretty good even in his absence:D:):p;)

SamSam
08-16-2010, 06:51 PM
You can say what you like about Sam, but one thing for sure is that he really knew how to keep a thread running.

He seems to be doing pretty good even in his absence:D:):p;)
People still talk about Hitler, too.

johnw
08-16-2010, 08:46 PM
People still talk about Hitler, too.

“Godwin's Law is precisely like Hitler. The similarities between Godwin's law and the Nazis are uncanny. People who start screaming that the fascist law of Godwin has been invoked are no better then the guards at the Nazi death camps.”~ Godwin's Law on Godwin's Law

oznabrag
08-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Well, I'm glad somebody said so!

bobbys
08-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Sam Sam is a good lad, sure he is no Sam F but who else is when you think of it!

SamSam
08-17-2010, 07:35 PM
“Godwin's Law is precisely like Hitler. The similarities between Godwin's law and the Nazis are uncanny. People who start screaming that the fascist law of Godwin has been invoked are no better then the guards at the Nazi death camps.”~ Godwin's Law on Godwin's Law

I'm not sure what you're saying, but
It is precisely because such a comparison or reference may sometimes be appropriate, Godwin has argued that overuse of Nazi and Hitler comparisons should be avoided, because it robs the valid comparisons of their impact. Valid or not, to keep up the value of that dead crazy guy I'll say people still think of Charlie Manson, too. That is probably a better comparison because he is out of circulation but still alive, just like Sam F.

Do you suppose that being able to see all these threads and God debates going on but not able to do anything about it is somewhat like being in Limbo?

johnw
08-17-2010, 07:58 PM
I'm not sure what you're saying, but Valid or not, to keep up the value of that dead crazy guy I'll say people still think of Charlie Manson, too. That is probably a better comparison because he is out of circulation but still alive, just like Sam F.

Do you suppose that being able to see all these threads and God debates going on but not able to do anything about it is somewhat like being in Limbo?
Just chafing you for proving Godwin's Law once again. Personally, I don't think SamF is anything like Hitler or Manson. How many people has he killed, after all? In fact, I don't think he's evil at all. I just think he's a bit of a bore, which is a social disability that makes people unpopular while being full of themselves prevents them from recognizing what they're doing wrong. There's a huge difference between a bore and being evil.

Glen Longino
08-17-2010, 08:09 PM
Just chafing you for proving Godwin's Law once again. Personally, I don't think SamF is anything like Hitler or Manson. How many people has he killed, after all? In fact, I don't think he's evil at all. I just think he's a bit of a bore, which is a social disability that makes people unpopular while being full of themselves prevents them from recognizing what they're doing wrong. There's a huge difference between a bore and being evil.

You are so naive, John!
Don't you understand that the only reason Sam F has not burned some of us at the stake is because it's not PC to do that nowadays?
Don't you understand that the only reason some of us poke at him with a long stick is simply to watch him strike idly at us, knowing that he can not burn us?
There are few people as fun to watch as an Inquisitor who has out-lived his era.

Tom Montgomery
08-17-2010, 08:29 PM
Not to worry, Glen. Even if it were still PC to burn atheists and heretics, Sammy would ONLY light the faggots under your feet IF he was convinced that he was justified.

On second thought....

Glen Longino
08-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Not to worry, Glen. Even if it were still PC to burn atheists and heretics, Sammy would ONLY light the faggots under your feet IF he was convinced that he was justified.

On second thought....

Since you're here, Tom, and since you've known Sam longer than I have, please share your thoughts regarding Sam's posture toward atheists and Protestants and Liberal Catholics.
I've asked Sam repeatedly to openly discuss this, but he has repeatedly refused.
Is this forum simply a format where Sam can express his bottomless intellect in the form of bottomless Catholic Dogma?
Has Sam found the perfect marriage between his own intellect and bottomless Catholic Dogma, so that he can forsake his own imagination in favor of Catholic Dogma?

oznabrag
08-17-2010, 10:01 PM
Since you're here, Tom, and since you've known Sam longer than I have, please share your thoughts regarding Sam's posture toward atheists and Protestants and Liberal Catholics.
I've asked Sam repeatedly to openly discuss this, but he has repeatedly refused.
Is this forum simply a format where Sam can express his bottomless intellect in the form of bottomless Catholic Dogma?
Has Sam found the perfect marriage between his own intellect and bottomless Catholic Dogma, so that he can forsake his own imagination in favor of Catholic Dogma?

I await these answers myself, Glen.

If this is the case we may have a rare instance in which Sam's Dogma ran over his Karma!

SamSam
08-18-2010, 11:26 AM
I await these answers myself, Glen.

If this is the case we may have a rare instance in which Sam's Dogma ran over his Karma!It might work with a big dogma and a small karma.

TomF
08-18-2010, 11:27 AM
One of my daughter's friends has actually done it - got a female puppy, and named her "Karma."

Peerie Maa
08-18-2010, 12:08 PM

That is quite a challenge that you have set Tom.
I recall SamF cataloguing things that he does not believe in, but the only statements about himself seem to be his troubled formative years and hid rock solid Moral Compass. Not that he claimed to be able to follow it, to give him his due for some humility.

Carry on Tom.

TomF
08-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Glad it's the other Tom who got asked ...

Tom Montgomery
08-18-2010, 04:31 PM
Thanks... but no thanks.

Peerie Maa
08-18-2010, 04:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI7ni7zL8qU

Bob Cleek
08-18-2010, 06:59 PM
Rumor has it the only reason Sam got banned was because the WBF was about to run over its monthly bandwidth allotment and they had to do SOMETHING to keep the forum from going dark.

Seriously, though, for all the venom that's spewed his way (not that he keeps his head down), I can't really see much difference in the relative reasonableness of those at either pole. The anti-religionists are every bit as rabid and closed-minded as the most entrenched Bible Bangers. Sam may sometimes be his own worst enemy, but in most intances, given his perspective, he is correct and consistent in his arguments. Sam doesn't do much more than propound the last two thousand years of Western Thought. What's really amazing is how crazy that makes those who are determined to reinvent the philosophical wheel. To them, Sam represents "The Church," whatever that may be. I've never been able to figure out why people are so maniacal about Sam's positions. If they really believed what they say, why would they ever care what Sam thought? Odd, really.

johnw
08-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Rumor has it the only reason Sam got banned was because the WBF was about to run over its monthly bandwidth allotment and they had to do SOMETHING to keep the forum from going dark.

Seriously, though, for all the venom that's spewed his way (not that he keeps his head down), I can't really see much difference in the relative reasonableness of those at either pole. The anti-religionists are every bit as rabid and closed-minded as the most entrenched Bible Bangers. Sam may sometimes be his own worst enemy, but in most intances, given his perspective, he is correct and consistent in his arguments. Sam doesn't do much more than propound the last two thousand years of Western Thought. What's really amazing is how crazy that makes those who are determined to reinvent the philosophical wheel. To them, Sam represents "The Church," whatever that may be. I've never been able to figure out why people are so maniacal about Sam's positions. If they really believed what they say, why would they ever care what Sam thought? Odd, really.
I really think you've underrated Sam's ability to infuriate. When he's spent about 20 posts telling you you're wrong about things you haven't actually said, one's patience wears thin. The problem isn't what views he holds, it's how he chooses to argue. I suspect Nanoose holds many of the same sort of views Sam does, but Nanoose manages to notice what other people are saying, which one has to do in order to have a real conversation. Sam's not sincerely interested in what other people have to say, only in how he can score points against them. I suppose a lawyer is doomed to many such encounters, but the rest of us aren't.

seanz
08-18-2010, 08:19 PM

Says Bob in post #134 of a thread about a guy that is banned..........;):)

I just stopped by because I wondered what on Earth everybody could still be talking about, he's banned. He'll be back.

Glen Longino
08-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks... but no thanks.

Heheh!
I didn't mean to put you on the spot, Tom!
In fact, putting those questions to you seems to have helped me to answer my own questions.
I think the answer to both questions is "Yes"!

George Jung
08-18-2010, 08:42 PM

Hehehe..... Now you've gone and done it!

I've tried that same perspective here in the bilge before, Bob.....

Not very satisfying. Got burned at the stake by the infidels.

I think I saw Tom there... and Glen, definitely Glen, by golly...

peb
08-18-2010, 08:51 PM

Been trying to decide what to post on this thread for two days now. No longer any need. Thanks.

bobbys
08-18-2010, 09:01 PM

Seriously, though, for all the venom that's spewed his way (not that he keeps his head down), I can't really see much difference in the relative reasonableness of those at either pole. The anti-religionists are every bit as rabid and closed-minded as the most entrenched Bible Bangers. Sam may sometimes be his own worst enemy, but in most intances, given his perspective, he is correct and consistent in his arguments. Sam doesn't do much more than propound the last two thousand years of Western Thought. What's really amazing is how crazy that makes those who are determined to reinvent the philosophical wheel. To them, Sam represents "The Church," whatever that may be. I've never been able to figure out why people are so maniacal about Sam's positions. If they really believed what they say, why would they ever care what Sam thought? Odd, really..

Very good.

You should have said this a couple of days ago and settlements it all then!;]

botebum
08-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Three pages? How bad do you guys miss him?

Doug

Yeadon
08-18-2010, 09:07 PM
I'm still confused about who this SamF fellow was ...

Pugwash
08-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Three pages? How bad do you guys miss him?

Doug

Like I miss ringworm.

Glen Longino
08-18-2010, 09:10 PM
I admit I've been intrigued with Sam.
He's unique in my experience.
If Sam would be open and straight-forward with us, we could have honest conversations rather than flinging darts at one another.
And it's not just us heathens who bring out Sam's Inner Inquisitor.
Look at some of Sam's conversations with Nanoose Deb and Tom F, both of them quite sincere Christians in their own right.
Sam treats them damn near like the red-headed step-children of Satan himself, and yet they're Christians, like Sam.
I find Sam entertaining!

George Jung
08-18-2010, 09:12 PM
He was a saint, I tell ya...

*sniff*

A Saint!

Glen Longino
08-18-2010, 09:27 PM
He was a saint, I tell ya...

*sniff*

A Saint!

There you go, George, Sideline Commentator!
You always keep your tail hidden between your legs rather than share your own religious views when Sam's around.
You know that if you express a view contrary to Sam's, he'll grab you by the tail and try to tie a knot in it!;)

Keith Wilson
08-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Sam doesn't do much more than propound the last two thousand years of Western Thought. Eh? Roman Catholicism is part of Western Thought, a subset, certainly not the whole thing.

Y Bar Ranch
08-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Plenty of people on this forum have been given a time out, taken their medicine, and learned from it. I hope Sam will be one of these.
Heh. This place reminds me of the It's a Good Life segment from the 1980's twilight zone movie...

When Helen arrives, she meets some people whom Anthony tells her are his family, his Uncle Walt and his sister Ethel . Also included in the family are Anthony's parents. Helen notices that the family seems extremely apprehensive, though she dismisses it. Anthony shows Helen around the house, including his sister's room; Anthony tells Helen that the girl is his "other" sister Sara, who got involved in an accident. The camera pans down and the audience view that the girl has no mouth, unbeknownst to Helen...she then discovers Anthony possesses unexplained powers that allow him to do practically anything he desires, including making cartoon characters appear in real life and making people disappear.

George Jung
08-18-2010, 09:44 PM
There you go, George, Sideline Commentator!
You always keep your tail hidden between your legs rather than share your own religious views when Sam's around.
You know that if you express a view contrary to Sam's, he'll grab you by the tail and try to tie a knot in it!;)

My tail, ya say?

Seems to me yer making a lot of assumptions there, old boy!:p

Glen Longino
08-18-2010, 09:50 PM
You'll never know until you try, George.
When Sam gets back, engage him in an honest conversation and see how many knots he can tie in that tail of yours. Be brave!

George Jung
08-18-2010, 09:54 PM
Pay attention, Glen-0!

Yer missing the important* details....

* 'Important' being relative....

Saltiguy
08-18-2010, 10:28 PM
What I could never understand is why ANY of you guys responded to him. To me, he didn't exist.

Glen Longino
08-18-2010, 10:35 PM
What I could never understand is why ANY of you guys responded to him. To me, he didn't exist.

It's not easy to admit, but let's face it, you're a shrewd and wise man and we're a bunch of dumbasses!;)

George Jung
08-18-2010, 10:42 PM
Best post on this thread!

Yer on a roll, Glen!

Glen Longino
08-18-2010, 10:53 PM
Credit where credit is due, George!;)
You've likely noticed, I'm not a prideful man!:)

Nanoose
08-19-2010, 01:49 AM
You'll never know until you try, George.
When Sam gets back, engage him in an honest conversation and see how many knots he can tie in that tail of yours. Be brave!

Sounds like the voice of experience talking here, George.
You may want to listen.

Hi, Glen!

George Jung
08-19-2010, 08:12 AM
Interesting....

I've never had SamF waffle, or refuse to answer, any question I've had for him.

Maybe it's my presentation - which may suggest some here might want to take a dispassionate look at how they're 'asking'.

How we ask sets up how we're answered.

pefjr
08-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Interesting....

Maybe it's my presentation - which may suggest some here might want to take a dispassionate look at how they're 'asking'.

How we ask sets up how we're answered.Sam F has answers? Coulda fooled me!!

perldog007
08-19-2010, 09:29 AM

That's an opinion all right. Whatever else they taught wherever he got doctorisedomated, civilised debate wasn't high on the list.. I actually think it's the way he likes to gratuitously insult folks that raises ire, Apparently that nuance escaped you, :D

Peter Malcolm Jardine
08-19-2010, 09:33 AM
It's almost impossible to insult the ignorant. They don't know enough to be insulted. Let's face it, debate in the bilge is not really debate anyway. People who side with the anti abortion, anti gay, gun rights lobby, anti universal health care, lets bomb the **** out of everybody crowd don't much want to hear another point of view. All good with me. My country has already moved on in all of those areas long ago.

George Jung
08-19-2010, 09:36 AM
Nuance? PMJ? Are you mad?

Agree on your assessment of Lil's 'debating finesse'. An obvious enthusiast of the Don Rickles school of thought.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
08-19-2010, 09:40 AM
How are your wooden boat projects coming George?

Uncle Duke
08-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Interesting....

How we ask sets up how we're answered.
Interesting, indeed.
I've asked SamF numerous questions, and asked in a thoughtful, non-confrontational way. As far as I'm aware, I'm not noted for pissing matches or one-upmanship (people may have different opinions, of course....), but I've never gotten a straight answer from him on any issue. The responses are universally in the mode of "you're a moron" / "here's a question for you and your ilk instead" / "so-and-so hasn't answered my question so everything else doesn't count", etc. Never, ever, an actual response to the issue raised.
He may well believe that pissing on the shoes of other people in a discussion constitutes performance art, but I'd think that he's alone in that.
Just my experience, of course, and it may well be that he just doesn't see my questions as worthy of his attention. Your mileage may vary.

perldog007
08-19-2010, 10:08 AM
It's almost impossible to insult the ignorant. They don't know enough to be insulted. Let's face it, debate in the bilge is not really debate anyway. People who side with the anti abortion, anti gay, gun rights lobby, anti universal health care, lets bomb the **** out of everybody crowd don't much want to hear another point of view. All good with me. My country has already moved on in all of those areas long ago.

Well let's take stock, I am pro-choice on the grounds that abortions will occur so they should be safe and legal. Pro gay, because it's not normal but it is natural, pro gun because the biggest abusers of being armed are states against their own people, it's a fact...., pro single payer ( a notion that started with discussions here btw) not because i love the idea of government run health care, it's just the only way to prevent our system from collapsing without ending entitlements like medicare and medicaid according to folks I believe... So I do like hearing other points of view, just don't dig the insults.

Edited to add I was squarely against the invasion of Iraq, and not real gung ho about afghanistan once the taliban was out of power. The last time my son was over yonder, he found plenty of your countrymen doing the same kind of stuff Americans are doing over there.

In Contrast, you could make a similar accusation against the progressives here, yourself included. You just don't want to hear another point of view and your label of 'ignorant' applied to those you disagree with pretty much proves it. So who's ignorant (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ignorant) here?

Peter Malcolm Jardine
08-19-2010, 10:23 AM
Did I mention your name in any of my posts?

The only thing I know for sure is that Canada is a vastly different country politically than the USA. Our general outlook is so different from Americans, I don't even understand the nature of the debate.... LJ usually provides facts for the statements that he makes, and I respect that. I spend most of my time on this forum upstairs looking at threads on boats, but the bilge still amazes me on a regular basis.

perldog007
08-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Did I mention your name in any of my posts?

No Sir, you just made an uninformed and inaccurate general statement defending your uninformed and inaccurate statement that Lj makes folks angry because he is so often right.

I used myself as an example because Lj introduced me to bilge decorum by insisting that I was a liar followed by other insults that had nothing to do with the thread topic or being right about anything. So I have been insulted by the man and I don't conform to your 'profile' which we should also discuss, as it's relevant to the thread topic in so far as the allegation is that Sam F. was banned for being rude.

Your statement was derisive and supportive of my point. More to the point it was rude. People whose viewpoints differ from yours deserve to be called "ignorant" and you further stipulate they don't know enough to be insulted? How is that not rude? How is it not in itself an expression of ignorance and intolerance?

When you open a discussion like that by what notion do you expect not to be engaged in a like manner? How in the name of noxious and unstable plastic could Sam F. be rude (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/rude) to a crowd that routinely acts as you have here? What is the standard for ill-mannered and/or discourteous?

I don't know of too many venues where gratuitously insulting folks en-mass or individually is considered well mannered or courteous. Is that a Canadian thing we don't know about down here? Is Lj Canadian too? :D

Captain Blight
08-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Interesting, indeed.
I've asked SamF numerous questions, and asked in a thoughtful, non-confrontational way. As far as I'm aware, I'm not noted for pissing matches or one-upmanship (people may have different opinions, of course....), but I've never gotten a straight answer from him on any issue. The responses are universally in the mode of "you're a moron" / "here's a question for you and your ilk instead" / "so-and-so hasn't answered my question so everything else doesn't count", etc. Never, ever, an actual response to the issue raised.
He may well believe that pissing on the shoes of other people in a discussion constitutes performance art, but I'd think that he's alone in that.
Just my experience, of course, and it may well be that he just doesn't see my questions as worthy of his attention. Your mileage may vary.

Exactly so. It probably doesn't help that I am open about my atheism; I wouldn't be surprised to learn he thinks any question I ask him has for motivation a desire to destroy him utterly in debate. Or something.

TomF
08-19-2010, 11:00 AM
I think, Cap'n, that it's not so much your atheism that bothers him; he's as irritated by my Christianity. I think Sam gets most irate with viable, rather than unconsidered alternatives to his Catholic orthodoxy.

Bob Cleek
08-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Eh? Roman Catholicism is part of Western Thought, a subset, certainly not the whole thing.

Well, I suppose this is a good an example of "children playing with matches" as could be hoped for. A classic really. I said Sam did little but propound "the last couple of tousand years of Western Thought." I didn't say ANYTHING about
Roman Catholicism. A nonsequitur and wre're off to the races! LOL

TomF
08-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Well, I suppose this is a good an example of "children playing with matches" as could be hoped for. A classic really. I said Sam did little but propound "the last couple of tousand years of Western Thought." I didn't say ANYTHING about
Roman Catholicism. A nonsequitur and wre're off to the races! LOLBut y'see, Bob, he doesn't propound "the last couple of thousand years of Western Thought." We hear not so much from, say, the Philosophes, or the great variety of German philosophers. Not a whole lot from the various sides of debates about, say, justice either. Sam routinely raises issues with The Enlightenment, which has had a rather significant impact on Western Thought since it occurred.

Sam is a partisan of a particular subset of Western Thought, as are most of us here. None, I think, propound the whole gamut.

George Jung
08-19-2010, 11:24 AM
That'd be a mighty wide swath, if it could happen at all, Tom. Well read bunch here, but everyone has their niche.

As far as how my boats are coming.... I expect that you were taking (another) poke - it's what you do, PMJ. Nice to see Perldog has your number, and has answered so eloquently. But since you asked (and so nicely), my boats are coming along rather well. Just finishing up a Storm LT, and getting started on yet another yak. Eventually I'll even get to make one for myself.

TomF
08-19-2010, 11:33 AM
That'd be a mighty wide swath, if it could happen at all, Tom. Well read bunch here, but everyone has their niche...Yep, that was my point, as I took it to be Keith's.

bobbys
08-19-2010, 12:36 PM
It's almost impossible to insult the ignorant. They don't know enough to be insulted. Let's face it, debate in the bilge is not really debate anyway. People who side with the anti abortion, anti gay, gun rights lobby, anti universal health care, lets bomb the **** out of everybody crowd don't much want to hear another point of view. All good with me. My country has already moved on in all of those areas long ago..

Im iffy on most of those but if we have really good bombs laying about doing nothing why should we not just bomb the chit outta somebody?.

Thats what makes this country so Great!!!

johnw
08-19-2010, 01:03 PM
Roman Catholicism. A nonsequitur and wre're off to the races! LOL
Most of what Sam writes about is Roman Catholicism. Granted, he's also anti-Muslim and will argue at length about the Civil War, but it's hardly a non-sequiter to mention the guy's obsession when people talk about the thought he 'propounds.' Have you actually read any of the recent threads he's been on?

If someone sail Norm propounds 2,000 years of Western thought and I said, liberal politics isn't the whole of Western thought, it's a subset, would you object? It is most of what he talks about.

I'd certainly get along better with the guy if he wrote more about wooden boats and less about religion, but he's free to choose his topics. He usually chooses his religion.

pefjr
08-19-2010, 02:58 PM

Im iffy on most of those but if we have really good bombs laying about doing nothing why should we not just bomb the chit outta somebody?.

Thats what makes this country so Great!!!:d:D, uh.....:d:D nevermind

Mrleft8
08-19-2010, 03:02 PM
Perhaps it's time for this gratuitous gloat thread, which I admit to participating in, to go away....

Peter Malcolm Jardine
08-19-2010, 08:38 PM
No Sir, you just made an uninformed and inaccurate general statement defending your uninformed and inaccurate statement that Lj makes folks angry because he is so often right.

I used myself as an example because Lj introduced me to bilge decorum by insisting that I was a liar followed by other insults that had nothing to do with the thread topic or being right about anything. So I have been insulted by the man and I don't conform to your 'profile' which we should also discuss, as it's relevant to the thread topic in so far as the allegation is that Sam F. was banned for being rude.

Your statement was derisive and supportive of my point. More to the point it was rude. People whose viewpoints differ from yours deserve to be called "ignorant" and you further stipulate they don't know enough to be insulted? How is that not rude? How is it not in itself an expression of ignorance and intolerance?

When you open a discussion like that by what notion do you expect not to be engaged in a like manner? How in the name of noxious and unstable plastic could Sam F. be rude (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/rude) to a crowd that routinely acts as you have here? What is the standard for ill-mannered and/or discourteous?

I don't know of too many venues where gratuitously insulting folks en-mass or individually is considered well mannered or courteous. Is that a Canadian thing we don't know about down here? Is Lj Canadian too? :D

Which mass was I insulting? Did you have a mass in mind? Yes, I think people who are anti gay, anti abortion, and pro gun are relatively ignorant of other peoples rights, and of statistical evidence around the world on violent crimes involving guns. Are they entitled to be ignorant? Absolutely. Did I mention you? Nope.

Are you a liar? How should I know.... I find Libj posts to be very relevant, and more often than not supported by critical research or fact. Other peoples mileage may vary. Whatever you think, you are entitled to think.

Keith Wilson
08-19-2010, 09:54 PM
. I said Sam did little but propound "the last couple of thousand years of Western Thought." I didn't say ANYTHING about Roman Catholicism. A nonsequitur and wre're off to the races! And I disagreed, saying that Sam propounds only a part of "the last couple of thousand years of Western Thought", the Roman Catholic part, which is by no means the whole thing. It was not a non sequitur in the least. There are large portions of western thought with which he vehemently disagrees - the majority of the last 400 years, actually.

PatCox
08-19-2010, 11:30 PM
I find SamF fascinating, first of all because I think his thoughts are the result of a fascinating, and serious, cognitive pathology, and second, because I am fascinated to see anyone defend the Albigensian Crusade, and scholaticism, with a straight face.

He has an intellectual hubris, and such a complete contempt for any opposing opinion, that to me, he transcends the normal variations in human personality traits, and enters the realm of mental illness.

I am serious, and I am not saying this to malign his character. Its not because of the beliefs he holds, I would not say these things about any one of the other conservatives here, no matter that they might agree with him 100%.

I am being charitable, to believe that its a pathological personality disorder that afflicts him, because if its not that, then he is the most brazen liar I have ever seen in my life, the most amoral, lying, vicious ****, I have ever seen. But I am inclined to believe its because he is suffering from a personality disorder, and is incapable of seeing the world accurately, and its not his fault, that he behaves this way.

HGreeley
08-20-2010, 12:16 AM

Thats what makes this country so Great!!!

Dang mister.

Tom Montgomery
08-20-2010, 02:08 PM
And I disagreed, saying that Sam propounds only a part of "the last couple of thousand years of Western Thought", the Roman Catholic part, which is by no means the whole thing. It was not a non sequitur in the least. There are large portions of western thought with which he vehemently disagrees - the majority of the last 400 years, actually.

Yep. Sammy despises the Enlightenment.

johnw
08-20-2010, 02:24 PM
I am fascinated to see anyone defend the Albigensian CrusadeDang, I missed that.

Unfortunately, I think Sam's personality is within the scope of normal human variation. We've seen people with such rigidity throughout history, and during times of social stability it probably doesn't even seem all that remarkable. People with this sort of personality often function well enough to achieve prominent positions in society. Look at Cotton Mather. The man's not ill, he's just a bit extreme, in my opinion. Furthermore, I think he's quite capable of more polite discourse than we've seen from him lately, and I think he's likely to learn from a time out.

I don't know why you call him a liar. I often (well, almost always) disagree with the positions he takes, but his facts are accurate. When they aren't, he drops them while trying to find a new justification for the view he claimed he held because of the facts he got wrong (a characteristic others, of a variety of political and religious persuasions, have also displayed.) What I object to is his logic-chopping casuistry and the fact that he sometimes doesn't take note of what others are actually saying.

Peerie Maa
08-20-2010, 04:11 PM
I first came across SamF when the Galileo thread was running. In that thread Sam deliberately edited a C&P to reverse the meaning of Galileo's statements. Either in that thread, or in a concurrent one, Sam edited a forumites posts and quoted them with the intention of tricking said forumite into refuting their own statements. This was done with "malice of forethought". When Sam's trickery was revealed Sam crowed with glee, and really p#ss#d off his victim.
This is a definition from Wiki:

A lie is a type of deception in the form of an untruthful statement, especially with the intention to deceive others
Which seems to describe Sam's behaviour on the Galileo thread.

Keith Wilson
08-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Sam actually did defend the Albigensian crusade as self-defense, arguing that the religious beliefs of the Cathars were so dangerous to the civilization of the time that making war on them was justified. I was surprised. IIRC Godwin's law applied.

He used to be more polite, but in the past couple of years his level of contempt for anyone who disagrees with him, and the ratio of insults to ideas, has increased to the point that I rarely bother with him anymore.

Tom Montgomery
08-20-2010, 06:36 PM
I am fascinated to see anyone defend the Albigensian Crusade....

Dang, I missed that.

Search for the "Richard Dawkins" thread. It was classic SammyF. Facts never altered his opinion.

Sam actually did defend the Albigensian crusade as self-defense, arguing that the religious beliefs of the Cathars were so dangerous to the civilization of the time that making war on them was justified. I was surprised. IIRC Godwin's law applied.

Yep. Sammy also claimed the RCC was defending itself from Cathar violence. He insisted that the Cathars started the war by murdering the papal legate despite historian consensus to the contrary. Virtually all historians of the Crusade agree that the papal legate was murdered by an agent of Count Raymond VI of Toulouse... who was a Roman Catholic.

johnw
08-20-2010, 06:43 PM

He used to be more polite, but in the past couple of years his level of contempt for anyone who disagrees with him, and the ratio of insults to ideas, has increased to the point that I rarely bother with him anymore.
Sounds like this happened on the sort of thread I've been skipping for a couple years, in part because of Sam. Too bad, there are people on this forum who can make those subjects interesting.

paladin
08-20-2010, 06:44 PM
ng up a Storm LT, and getting started on yet another yak. Eventually I'll even get to make one for myself.

I'd like a Yak-1 in the barn........canna build it meself though....

johnw
08-20-2010, 06:45 PM
I first came across SamF when the Galileo thread was running. In that thread Sam deliberately edited a C&P to reverse the meaning of Galileo's statements. Either in that thread, or in a concurrent one, Sam edited a forumites posts and quoted them with the intention of tricking said forumite into refuting their own statements. This was done with "malice of forethought". When Sam's trickery was revealed Sam crowed with glee, and really p#ss#d off his victim.
This is a definition from Wiki:

Which seems to describe Sam's behaviour on the Galileo thread.
I've pretty much quit reading Sam's posts, so I guess I missed some of the changes in his behavior. That certainly sheds some light on his banning.

Keith Wilson
08-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Here we go: the argument from 2006 about the massacres of the Cathars. (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?57868-Richard-Dawkins/page5&highlight=Albigensian) Start around post #177, although it gets pretty long-winded.

I wonder what ever happened to Sharpie? He hasn't been around for a while.

johnw
08-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Here we go: the argument from 2006 about the massacres of the Cathars. (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?57868-Richard-Dawkins/page5&highlight=Albigensian) Start around post #177, although it gets pretty long-winded.

I wonder what ever happened to Sharpie? He hasn't been around for a while.
Long-winded? That's an understatement. And it goes nowhere. Reading a few pages of that makes me feel great about my decision to stop bothering with the man.

George Jung
08-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Chuck, I just know we're talking waaaay different critters ...

Nasty commentary, Mr. Cox.

Interesting that the very behavior - calling folks liars - is now being repeated here, by many others, despite being dressed up a bit - and I'm williing to bet none of these offenders will be banned. Level playing field, Scot? By all appearances - not a chance.

Lew Barrett
08-21-2010, 09:47 PM
I rarely bother with him anymore.

I never bother with him. I applaud you Keith, for if "the guys" observed the same discipline, Sam would either dry up and blow away or select another tack, or possibly website, to haunt.

A time out is the second best thing that can happen when a poster crosses the line. First best? Being completely ignored by peers. This place is a hard spot for many to practice that tactic it would seem, but little is more vexing than to have what one thinks is an especially good series of ideas (or one's best bait) ignored.

It cuts both ways of course. I've seen so many thoughtful and well posited ideas ignored for what I imagine are a variety of reasons. On the other hand, often enough the crap and the bile, the stuff that really should be eschewed, draws the most fire and response.

If we really want to make a collective point, we should use silence more often.
I have almost no hope of this truth being received and acted on.

Paul Girouard
08-21-2010, 10:12 PM

You first Lew!

Well then, you won't be disappointed!

Keith Wilson
08-22-2010, 08:05 AM
This post is page 4,what does that mean?? That it's more fun to talk about Sam than talk to him?

SamSam
08-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Keep The River On Your Right. It's about a guy who wanders off into the jungle to live with a stone age tribe. When members became a nuisance, they would be tied to a tree away from everyone and fed and watered, otherwise ignored. When they changed their ways, they were let loose and rejoined the tribe.

Lew Barrett
08-22-2010, 12:10 PM
You first Lew!

Well then, you won't be disappointed!

I don't talk to Sam, pal, nor post to his comments. That doesn't mean I don't talk. If you can find a recent post of any of my conversations or responses to him, please post the example. Sam Sam, now him I talk to!

Paul Girouard
08-22-2010, 12:28 PM
I don't talk to Sam, pal, nor post to his comments. That doesn't mean I don't talk. If you can find a recent post of any of my conversations or responses to him, please post the example. Sam Sam, now him I talk to!

But if you post to a thread about him isn't that "feeding the troll"? How does a thread "die" if we fed the beast? Does it matter? Maybe not. As long as SamF is silent all is "good"?

Glen Longino
08-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Pay attention! You're not reading! You can believe any darn fool thing you want! You're philosphically naive!
Uber Mensch!
Toodles!

Paul Girouard
08-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Pay attention! You're not reading! You can believe any darn fool thing you want! You're philosphically naive!
Uber Mensch!
Toodles!

Whom are you referring to oh ancient one?

Glen Longino
08-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Those are just a few of Sam's most frequently used comments to the "atheists and their allies"...oh, and this one...Got it?:)

Peerie Maa
08-22-2010, 02:00 PM
Glen,
We need you.

Just keep dropping one in every now and then please?

Tootles.

Glen Longino
08-22-2010, 02:08 PM
"Glen,
We need you."

Liar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;););)

Peerie Maa
08-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Well, if you don't want to feel wanted. . . . . .

Glen Longino
08-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Just poking you a bit, Nick!:)

Peerie Maa
08-22-2010, 04:06 PM
Just poking you a bit, Nick!:)

You did not mean it?

Your bums on fire.

Lew Barrett
08-22-2010, 10:16 PM
But if you post to a thread about him isn't that "feeding the troll"? How does a thread "die" if we fed the beast? Does it matter? Maybe not. As long as SamF is silent all is "good"?

Sam F is not silent. He's been silenced. A significant difference. As would Lefty, I would as soon see the gloat terminated. I'm really unsure what you are objecting to, as the hanging out to dry approach can be equally employed in any number of cases. This thread seemed as good a place as any to suggest the technique.

Our conversation is pointless Paul, so to the same end I will now exercise my prerogative and go mute on this aspect of our discussion.

Paul Girouard
08-22-2010, 11:53 PM
Our conversation is pointless Paul, so to the same end I will now exercise my prerogative and go mute on this aspect of our discussion.

Pretty much all bilge "conversations" are pointless. Nuttin new about that eh?

No final words, you sure? This thread is a typical waste of band width. Might as well expand that a bit more.