PDA

View Full Version : I've been pursuing my Buzzards Bay project

elf
08-12-2010, 09:54 PM
And you can view Summer here (http://tinyurl.com/2aqzb2l).

nw_noob
08-12-2010, 11:50 PM
Great photo's elf, that's a cool project you've got going.

B_B
08-13-2010, 12:44 AM
Great photo's elf, that's a cool project you've got going.
+1!

ramillett
08-13-2010, 12:58 AM
Great pictures .

Does your camera have a GPS to tie to map quest ?

Phil Heffernan
08-13-2010, 01:23 AM
Terrific Elf!

PH

McMike
08-13-2010, 07:13 AM
Very cool!!

elf
08-13-2010, 09:16 AM
No GPS, and I've pretty much abandoned MapQuest for Google Maps. My iPod Touch has a Google Maps app which is really easy to use when I'm scouting for locations which I'm doing a lot with this project.

Kaa
08-13-2010, 12:24 PM
Any way to see decently-sized images..?

Kaa

elf
08-13-2010, 12:47 PM
On Facebook. With captions. Spring is there also.

Tristan
08-13-2010, 05:54 PM
Beautiful! Makes me wish I could be there for sure. I can smell the sea air and just taste the clams, lobster, and haddock sandwiches!

Mrleft8
08-13-2010, 06:04 PM
Not bad. With some lessons, and professional advice you could have some good pics.

PeterSibley
08-13-2010, 06:54 PM
Great photos but my ...what a lovely bit of geography !

elf
08-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Not bad. With some lessons, and professional advice you could have some good pics.

Well? What are you waiting for?

elf
08-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Great photos but my ...what a lovely bit of geography !

It captured my heart 67 years ago. Glad you like it too.

Ed Harrow
08-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Very cool, and get this, Elf even departed the 'Rescue Phoenix' affair before the pizza and beer so she didn't miss a photo on that day. Only neg comment- it would be nice if one could 'drag' the photo about on top of the map.

elf
11-13-2010, 11:00 PM
The autumn map is taking shape. You can view it here (http://tinyurl.com/26pdgz9).

We're getting to the end of the color here around Buzzards Bay. Only a couple more days of Norway Maples and then it's all brown.

elf
12-16-2010, 07:23 AM
I have updated the autumn map. You can check it out here (http://tinyurl.com/26pdgz9).

Any sensible person's idea of winter has been here for quite a while, but the calendar insists that it's still autumn. Five more days and I can begin the new season.

McMike
12-16-2010, 07:27 AM
I love the one dated 11/9/10. Great work, I really enjoyed it.

elf
12-16-2010, 07:58 AM
That's a really neat spot. I wish it were public. I really have to skulk around there and couldn't go in the summer.

Allison
12-16-2010, 08:16 AM
Elf,
This is quite an achievement. The presentation of your work this way and over the seasons is great, I'm sure that it involved a lot of work but you must've had fun planning it all and slowly putting it together.
Did you have it planned out from the beginning as a a piece about the area or were you inspired by photos you'd taken over years before?
You obviously know the area well , I assume you live somewhere near.
I'm going back for another look now.

I'll have to wait till I get my schooner done before I can sail there but it's on the plan, I have to take a schooner back up into that area. Homecountry!

Thank you,|:)|:)

elf
12-16-2010, 09:29 AM
I'm in the middle of it now, Allison. I started on 24 March this year. I won't be finished until 23 March next year. In the middle of Spring I discovered the google map thing that permitted me to show the images to people outside my circle of Facebook friends. I started posting them there, and the full captions are there as well.

Now I'm laying out the Spring book and will be sending it out to LuLu sometime next week or right after Christmas.

I live a 10 minute walk from my Bay and it has been a talisman in my life since I was 6 months old and was first brought to Woods Hole by my parents. I then spent the first 14 summers of my life about 4 miles from where I now live. So this place is central to me.

I'm glad you are enjoying the portfolio.

Allison
12-16-2010, 09:34 AM
What a great place to grow up Elf, you are lucky to have lived around it for so long.
How did it get it's name?
I've seen it referred to with regard to some older sailing boats, Herreshoff I think, is it the same place?
I never got to that part of the states when I lived there except for a brief trip to Upstate NY. That area looks so beautiful.

elf
12-16-2010, 09:42 AM
There were, at one time, lots of buzzards around the bay. Then we got in to DDT and they, and many other raptors, vanished. Then we got environmental awareness and stopped the use of DDT to control for mosquitoes, and now we have buzzards, osprey, red-tailed hawks, smaller hawks of many kinds and mosquitoes.

Now we're working on dealing with the collapse of the herring and cod populations - not so simple as stopping the use of DDT, unfortunately.

Allison
12-16-2010, 09:45 AM
I take it your involved in the programs to try and protect the area, your connection is pretty obvious!
Has there been a lot of development over the years or has it been spared, it doesn't look to trashed?

Allison
12-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Where I was in retreat the buzzards used to migrate back in the spring and I could sit and watch them for hours as they worked their way up in spirals catching the thermals to glide out over the plains below. Great to watch. distraction from meditation or not, depending on how you look at it.

rbgarr
12-16-2010, 10:39 AM
What am I doing wrong? Clicking the links in your posts and on your website only shows Google maps for Buzzards Bay. No photos.

elf
12-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Do you see a column on the left side with dates?

If so, click on a date and see whether a blue pin appears on the map and an image pops up above it.

Otherwise, wait a few moments until the full map loads and you'll see all the pins scattered around the periphery of the Bay. Then you can either click on a date and see the image, or click directly on a pin and see the image.

elf
12-16-2010, 11:09 AM
I take it you're involved in the programs to try and protect the area, your connection is pretty obvious!
Has there been a lot of development over the years or has it been spared, it doesn't look too trashed?

I've water sampled for the Coalition for 10 years or so until I got tired of doing that. They've used a few of my images on their annual reports.

I've done some volunteering and participated in some activities of the local town preservation committee, belong to some organizations that work for land preservation.

Development? Cape Cod has become a suburb in the last 30 years. Build-out is a regular topic of government. Our waters are badly polluted with nitrogen from septic systems, such that our shellfishing and fishing industries are nearly deceased. All across the Cape town governments are fighting about building codes and sewage treatment. The coast line along the Atlantic is eroding at a frightening rate, something like 6-12 inches per year. One of the major research centers for coastal and climate research has been located in Woods Hole for more than 100 years.

Yes. The Cape has been trashed. I have a whole portfolio of images of the trash people leave on the land here. I call it my "Left Behind" series!

Allison
12-16-2010, 05:16 PM
It's a pity the way that people don't think things through and allow development without really having any plan to deal with the impact. So many ;ocal govt.'s are dominated by the develop or fail mentality and they of nothing but the bottom line in property taxes. Where fortunate in having such a huge coastline and a relatively concentrated population but there are plenty of beautiful areas that have been totally trashed, but still some great stuff left for a while at least.

rbgarr
12-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Do you see a column on the left side with dates?

If so, click on a date and see whether a blue pin appears on the map and an image pops up above it.

Otherwise, wait a few moments until the full map loads and you'll see all the pins scattered around the periphery of the Bay. Then you can either click on a date and see the image, or click directly on a pin and see the image.

Hmm. None of those things appear for me. Waited five minutes, too.

elf
12-16-2010, 07:26 PM
OK, Dave. Here's an alternative way to find the map. Go to http://maps.google.com Once you arrive, search for "Buzzards Bay". Once you get there, you'll notice there is text next to the "search" button which says "show search options". Click there and you'll get a dropdown menu. Choose "user created maps" and click on "Search" again. Scan down the list of user created maps and locate the ones called "Photo-a-day Buzzards Bay".

The links work for me and apparently for Allison and some other folks, so I have no idea why they're not working for you, but I hope it's not because of your internet connection. Certainly the pages take a loooooooong time to load on dialup!

Lew Barrett
12-16-2010, 08:15 PM
I'm here late of course, but what a great and fun concept and execution. Bravo, Em.

Hunky Dory
12-16-2010, 08:34 PM
The links work for me, Nice job but I was surprised you didnt get a shot of Quisset with one of those pretty little skiffs that are usually moored there. I will be taking a ride through the bay this Sat when we bring my brothers lobster boat around from Barnstable to Cotuit for haulout.

elf
12-16-2010, 08:44 PM
Well, Quissett is not literally on the Bay and I've been mostly trying to get shots that include the bay. There is, however, one shot of the entrance to Quissett from up where the Webster Rose gardens were and another shot from the Woods Hole Golf Club.

If you're going near Cleveland Ledge on Saturday, can I join you? I still need a shot of it for this project.

rbgarr
12-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Got it now! Thanks.
How did you get out to Cuttyhunk?

elf
12-16-2010, 11:05 PM
My fishing friend, Dick, and I always go to Cuttyhunk for a day hike in the fall. He took me out to the Weepeckets too in the end of the spring. Another friend took me to Hadley's one day early in the summer. The photographs are very out of balance because of the Forbes' possession of the Elizabeths. But I have acquired an intimate acquaintance with the other side of the bay because of that as well.

elf
12-16-2010, 11:12 PM
The entire project can be followed on my Facebook page. Captions are included there, as well as albums of outtakes, where Hunky Dory will find photographs of Quissett's famous fleet of Herreshoff 12-and-a-halfs.

isla
12-17-2010, 12:40 PM
That's a wonderful project Emily. My wife's family sail a Cap Horn sloop out of Bourne Cove, and we have cruised from there down to New Bedford, across to Wood's Hole and back many times. Also day sailing across to Wings Cove and around to Marion for lunch. I miss my father-in-law, now deceased, who was a great guy, and he knew every boat in the bay. He would point them out to me as we sailed around.."hey, there's old so-and-so's Beetle Cat"..etc. So we will spend a happy hour or two looking at your photos.

elf
12-17-2010, 03:12 PM
Bourne Cove is really special. Which side did they live on?

isla
12-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Bourne Cove is really special. Which side did they live on?

I suppose it's the South West side, right at the end of New Gravel Road, where it becomes Bourne Point Road. If you zoom in you can see a little stone jetty just to the left of the point. I have fished off it for Tautog, caught a few too.

elf
12-17-2010, 07:00 PM
Ah. They call it Warren's Point now. The google people haven't caught up with a lot of names around the Bay. I have yet to get up the courage to go all the way down that side and walk around there. On the other side I found most hospitable people who were interested in my project. One is the treasurer of the Coalition for Buzzards Bay.

bobbys
12-17-2010, 09:56 PM
I have some pictures of Cape Cod when we wuz there on/in our Honeymoon.

There is a rock in a cove with historical significance but i cannot remember what it was..

Course all we had was a 110 camera.

elf
12-17-2010, 11:16 PM
Plymouth Rock?

bobbys
12-17-2010, 11:22 PM
Plymouth Rock?.

We were below Ptown in a cove, I thought there was a rock there, Maybe it was a Historical marker.

The Pilgrims landed there?

isla
12-18-2010, 05:06 AM
Ah. They call it Warren's Point now. The google people haven't caught up with a lot of names around the Bay. I have yet to get up the courage to go all the way down that side and walk around there. On the other side I found most hospitable people who were interested in my project. One is the treasurer of the Coalition for Buzzards Bay.
I believe my wife mentioned the name change, but I forgot about it. I haven't been over for many years, but my wife makes the trip most years to visit her people. We will let them know what you are doing, and if you walk, or drive, down there from Wareham and introduce yourself I'm sure you will get a warm welcome and a cup of tea.

elf
12-18-2010, 06:52 AM
You should come along! Her people are your people too!

Besides, that's one of the most beautiful spots around the Bay, certainly in Wareham.

Syed
12-18-2010, 07:33 AM
Beautiful!
Thanks for sharing the photos with us.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs658.snc4/61794_439372019916_749884916_4921630_6928184_n.jpg

LeeG
12-18-2010, 07:48 AM
thanks much Emily.

elf
12-18-2010, 08:29 AM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs648.snc4/60832_438748609916_749884916_4909356_4346417_n.jpg

This is one of my favorites.

rbgarr
12-18-2010, 08:57 AM
You've been doing a heck of lot of driving, Emily! Quite a project.

elf
12-18-2010, 09:02 AM
Oh Dave! Thanks for reminding me. I need to make an appointment for an oil change!

You know what I'd really love to do - a similar thing in a plains state like Iowa or Nebraska. The driving for this would pale in comparison!

elf
02-22-2011, 11:36 PM
Well, the winter is shaping up to be very nice, very nice indeed. My fears of a snowless winter, leaving me with 3 months of brown, have not come to fruition. There has been lots of snow, and the inlets and bays have frozen, along with the shorelines.

You can view the Buzzards Bay Winter photos here (http://tinyurl.com/2co5wkg)

Today is the 22nd of February. I began the project on the 24th of March of last year.

Only 30 more days to go!

RichKrough
02-23-2011, 03:08 AM
Very nice! I especially liked the sunset on 12/29/10.

Previous post you mentioned the midwest for a project, I would suggest looking into North Dakota. I have ridden a bicycle across both Iowa and North Dakota, I would say North Dakota had a much more varied landscape and the towns were more interesting. I zig-zagged following mostly US 2 , US 52 and ND 15 across N.Dakota.

elf
03-20-2011, 03:50 PM
More photos are up now for winter which is nearly over, as is the project.

You can view the Buzzards Bay Winter photos here (http://tinyurl.com/2co5wkg)