PDA

View Full Version : Jamie & Jorma - How about a deck update?

Concordia41
07-16-2001, 05:38 AM
I'm on about my third go-round in the research mode on teak deck selants and about ready to make a decision. Jamie's 2000 posts make it clear I don't want to go with Boatlife, but how has the Smith's worked for you?

Jorma?

Anyone else with a few years of time under their belt with any other systems care to chime in?

Thanks!

Dave Thibodeau
07-16-2001, 07:02 AM
I think the best article on renewing deck seams was the article written by Fred Bauer several years ago in Wooden Boat magazine where he detailed recaulking the decks of Annie, his Fenwick Williams 24' ketch. I would advise you get a copy and read it .

Dave Thibodeau

Jamie Hascall
07-17-2001, 04:43 PM
THe decks done with the Smiths have been holding up beautifully in the long stretches of dry sunny weather we've been having. I can't find any seperation or seam failure anywhere. I got to see Jorma's deck done with a Sikaflex Polyurethane a month or so ago, and it looked great too. The weather hadn't warmed up yet in Helsinki to know the full effect, but in looking at his research samples and talking with him about the process, I think he was going to do fine. I just got a post from John Gish who had asked me about my results last year. He had used the Detco two part Polysulfide on his deck. He was happy with the results, but did have one glitch where the initial batch kicked way too quickly due to it being past it's expiration date. Detco came through with good support and new product, but he had to go back and redo those sections again.

If I had it to do over again, I would definitely go with the Smith's again. I felt the product was good, predictable, and the result looks great. Best of all, the support from Steve and his staff was superb.

Good Luck,
Jamie