PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with knowledge of these 2 boats?

tburris
01-03-2001, 10:56 AM
I recently came across Mcnaughtongroup.com they have a couple of designs I'm interested in. I was wondering if anyone out there has or knows someone who has built and or sailed a Shilling 22 or a Penny 25 both are very similar to Vertue Class. This designer is out of Eastport Maine.
Thanks Ted.

Ian McColgin
01-03-2001, 11:32 AM
I have a freind who's been looking at the penny and the sovreign.

I imagine that McNaughton gets a bit of casual interest in plans that makes him perhaps a little hard to get to know at first. At any rate, my friend found it took a couple of months to get study plans which were scaresly more informative than the sketches on his web site. He seems to have a real dread of having his plans ripped off and it's hard to get a sense of the lines, at least by mail. It might be that a visit and a chat would work.

The lines, such as I could see, appear normal. The interiors appear intelligent. If the sketches are accurate, the pintle and gudgeon arrangement is poorly concieved with an unappealing gap between the transom and the rudder. The rigs are mainline simple cruising balanced battened ("junk") lug sail as pioneered by Hasler and extended by everyone smart from Bolger to Benford. As Pete Culler said of his plans, "Nothing new or ground breaking here." McNaughton appears a bit less modest.

My friend was unable to get a single reference to a single boat and happy owner in the water - again hard to tell if that's just a function of getting to know him or what.

My impression is that McNaughton is a bit crusty and opinionated, which could be a good thing. I'm that way myself, and very much admire Bolger, who can certainly steer his own course. Whether NcNaughton's boats would be my first choise is an open question. Not one of them appears to be a good boat to run aground in.

He gets a lot of volume in the hull, but I'd want to see one in action before believing that he's a better designer that Giles . . .

Check out that couple who wrote "Cruising on a Small Budget" or some such title for a comprehensive view of the simple life with the simple rig.

G'luck and keep in touch.

Mark Van
01-03-2001, 04:53 PM
I found a website by someone building a "Penny", it might be of interest. http://www.nauticalfollies.com

Ian Wright
01-03-2001, 07:40 PM
As a slight side issue, anyone who wants a Vertue would be well advised to get a Vertue,,,,,, a real one. There are a number of similar boats, the SCOD comes to mind as one of the better attempts, and there are several ripoffs "designed" from line drawings published in magazines and books.
IMO if you are going to the trouble of building a boat you might just as well build a really good boat drawn by a really good designer,,,,,Vertue plans will cost very little as a percentage of the cost of the boat and you will end up with the real deal,,,,,,,, I did, and I don't regret a penny of it.

Ian, Patience, Vertue 203

tburris
01-04-2001, 10:28 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I recently recieved the information on the Vertue class and I guess Im currious about if a Amature can handle the project.

Ian Wright
01-04-2001, 12:25 PM
Yes, an amateur can build a Vertue , quite a few have. Itís a big undertaking, I know of two carvel Vertues built by their owners, both took around fifteen years,,,,,,,,,,, That's One Five years,,,,,,,,, !
In strip plank/ epoxy one was launched last year after five years building, but there were two building her,,,,,,,,, nice boat, very nice, considering the build method,,,,,,,,, http://media4.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/wink.gif

IanW.

Bob Cleek
01-13-2001, 01:45 PM
E-mail Barry Van Geffen, Managing Director, at Laurentgiles.co.uk

There are Vertue stock plans for sale in traditional carvel, steel, and strip plank (called WEST System here). There are also molds for fibreglass hulls. ("My Old Man and the Sea" featured a GRP Vertue.)

There are many Vertue-like knock offs. Check out the Laurent Giles Ltd's web site. They have an extensive plans catalog. There are other Giles boats along the same theme. (Dyarchy... a boat to die for!) If nothing else, you are going to find the value of any boat tremendously increased if it is built to a "pedigreed" design. You can't beat a Vertue... no way. Nobody disputes that. Never has.

"Patience" ... Vertue 136 here! LOL

Mike Woodhouse
12-10-2003, 11:32 AM
You can see a report on a recent Home build of a Vertue The boat is called PERA, there are pictures and a report on the building process
on http:\\www.vertueowners.org.uk

Meerkat
12-10-2003, 10:08 PM
Bossom's is no longer offering finished Vertue II's (glass), but they still offer hull/deck kits to various levels of completion.