PDA

View Full Version : Kicking 'em while they're down

capnharv
08-11-2010, 10:31 AM
I drove past just after the first troopers got to the scene.

Speeding motorcyclist taunts state trooper trapped in crashed car
By MARTHA KANG
KOMO-TV STAFF

A state trooper rolled his car multiple times while chasing two reckless motorcyclists, one of whom returned to the scene just to rub salt into the wounds of the trooper.
The incident happened on the northbound ramp from Interstate 5 to State Route 599 at approximately 6:45 p.m. Tuesday.

Trooper Cliff Pratt said the trooper was chasing the motorcyclists, who were speeding dangerously and getting too close to cars, when his vehicle rolled several times, finally landing in a ditch alongside the ramp.

"It's infuriating when all we're trying to do is enforce the laws in the state of Washington and protect the public, said Pratt. "Obviously these motorcycles traveling at 100 miles per hour with no regard for the safety of anybody else is a huge problem for us in this area."

Injured and bleeding, the trooper, who was trapped inside his car, managed to call 911 on his cell phone.

As he waited for help to arrive, one of the motorcyclists he'd been chasing returned to the scene, Pratt said. The motorcyclist parked across the street, approached the mangled patrol car on foot, then laughed and clapped at the trooper before speeding off.

"Now you're talking about a state trooper who rolled his car several times. He's obviously injured, pinned inside his vehicle and you've got a couple of motorcyclists who really don't care whether this trooper lives or dies at this point, to the point where they think it's funny," Pratt said.

Investigators believe they have the motorcyclists' registration information, Pratt said, and they are searching for the two people. No description was available.

The trooper was pulled out of his car by emergency crews and taken to Harborview Medical Center with serious injuries, including a head injury. He has been identified as 46-year-old Brian Salyer of Spanaway. He is a 22-year veteran of the force.

paladin
08-11-2010, 11:06 AM
I think I woulda shot the bastard........just thinkin'

wizbang 13
08-11-2010, 11:13 AM
...dirtbags in our world, they walk amoung us.

Yeadon
08-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Those motorcyclists have it coming. No question. (I'm pretty sure Chuck means he woulda shot the motorcyclist, not the cop.) And sorry about the trooper, the guy was just doing his job.

The thing is, why chase speeders? Smart law enforcement departments beat speeders with their radios, not commensurate speed.

I seriously question high speed chases. You start with two speeding motorcycles. When you add the cop, you suddenly have three vehicles hurtling through the public streets, all going way too fast, with a illogical disregard for the safety of the public. And if it takes one cop to do a job, it often takes multiple officers to finish it pack-style ...

sdowney717
08-11-2010, 11:21 AM
motorcycles, was he smoking? reminds me of a scene in a movie called MadMax

gibetheridge
08-11-2010, 11:23 AM
That same cop would have risked his life to get the guy out of a similar situation. We're too nice to those douche bags.

Paul Pless
08-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Not excusing the motorcyclists, but maybe Washington State should look into revising their pursuit rules. Dude wrecked his car severely; was chasing down these scofflaws worth placing the public at a greater risk? Sounds like it - during rush hour no less on a major interstate through a huge metropolitan area.

McMike
08-11-2010, 12:34 PM
I think we should mandate limiters on ALL vehicles, say at 80MPH. The general public has proven time and again it can't handle the responsibility so I say take it away.

capnharv
08-11-2010, 12:44 PM
I read someplace else that there were quite a few of them heading north, not just 2. 2 of them cut in front of the trooper, causing him to lose control.

There was also a quite loud biker convention at a Hooters about 3 miles away at the same time.

capnharv
08-11-2010, 12:47 PM
From the Seattle Times web site:

Trooper Brian Salyer radioed State Patrol dispatch at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday that he was trying to catch up with a group of motorcyclists traveling at more than 100 mph from southbound Interstate 405 to northbound Interstate 5. As Salyer tried to get close enough to identify the lead motorcycle, two other riders intentionally cut in front of his patrol car, forcing him to swerve and slam on the brakes, according to the State Patrol.

Phillip Allen
08-11-2010, 12:48 PM
attempted murder?

Glen Longino
08-11-2010, 12:51 PM
attempted murder?

Failure to render aid!

BA.Barcolounger
08-11-2010, 12:52 PM
From the Seattle Times web site:

Trooper Brian Salyer radioed State Patrol dispatch at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday that he was trying to catch up with a group of motorcyclists traveling at more than 100 mph from southbound Interstate 405 to northbound Interstate 5. As Salyer tried to get close enough to identify the lead motorcycle, two other riders intentionally cut in front of his patrol car, forcing him to swerve and slam on the brakes, according to the State Patrol.

If they catch the guys, that qualifies as attempted murder - 2nd degree.

paladin
08-11-2010, 12:53 PM
I woulda hit the bastards....no doubt in my mind...but then I have a warped sense of humor.....

Captain Blight
08-11-2010, 02:18 PM
While I can see the humor in the situation, I also see the lack of humanity. I've told people before, when i see 'em doing something dumb (and, I'm sorry, there isn't a Crown Vic on the planet that can reel in even a 600-class sportbike, to not see this smacks of ego and/or rank stupidity on the cop's part), "Look, you're going to get hurt. And I'm gonna laugh like hell. Oh, I'll do the best I can to help you; but I'm also gonna laugh like hell and probably call you a dumb motherfather."

What could that cop have been thinking? I agree with Mr Yeadon here. Urban Interstates are no place for high-speed chases.

Oh, before I forget: Those two ismoothbrains on the donorcycles? I hope they get caught, charged, tried and incarcerated for a good long time. Idiocy must be punished.

Phillip Allen
08-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Geez, guys. Not all motorcyclists are evil. Not all cops are honest. Not all first versions of the story are accurate.

There was a case locally in which a PG County cop killed 2 or (4?) innocent driver/bystanders while speeding on the Capital Beltway. His initial story was he was chasing a "single motorcycle rider in black gear". He was not injured, but blamed it on a non-existent motorcyclist. They stopped riders at will for days trying to find "that biker", and they STILL pester riders in PG County. I got stopped for no reason by the Commander of that County department and basically told that, as a motorcyclist,I have no rights. Commander didn't show in court to uphold the ticket, though it cost me time I don't get back.

There are 2 sides.

That's NOT to say there aren't idiotic riders -and perhaps the cop's telling the truth this time - and it's not to say there are no riders who would do this, but pegging all of us as "those" motorcyclists have it coming? Lots of us - we are people, you know - have families and no interest in being run down or harrassed. I've had all kind of attacks from drivers - people run me to within a hair of the barrier wall and look at me as if to say "can't you see I'm on the phone!?"

I ride to save precious $, reduce my gasoline consumption, save time (to be home w/ family), and space (reducing traffic congestion). The fact is, it is also fun to ride, but that was NOT the reason I bought a motorcycle. We don't deserve special hatred for this.

ease up...no one is loading all republicans/democrats/motorcyclists/hunters/shooters into the same pigion hole...

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
08-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x6pKHQBlUc&feature=related

paul oman
08-11-2010, 05:33 PM
What the heck was my wife doing, motorcycling in Washington?

The Bigfella
08-11-2010, 06:09 PM
The cop will, of course, be charged with negligent driving, won't he?

paul oman
08-11-2010, 06:20 PM
He will if my wife has her way!

capnharv
08-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Matt,

I didn't start this to put bikers down. I enjoy a fast bike as much as anyone else. I posted it because I drove past the accident before they got the trooper out and was curious what happened.

And Tim, I respectfully disagree with you on the pursuit. If it were one or 2 bikes, yes, the trooper should not have tried to catch them. With 6-7-8-9 bikes together going 100+ just after rush hour, I think he would have been negligent if he didn't try to do something. Besides, if one of them had crashed and took out a couple more bikes at that speed, I'm sure there would be outcries of "where were our men in blue?"

I'll stick to nice quiet sailboats and ship models.

Thanks,
Harvey

purri
08-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Cops LUUURVE "tagging" motorcyclists.

botebum
08-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Effin' pigsI just feel like causing a stink before I go to bed.
Have fun with it.

Doug

JayInOz
08-12-2010, 12:17 AM
I remember once reading about an American motorcyclist who was run down and killed by a car driver. Someone saw it happen and called the police. By the time they arrived on the scene, the dead biker had been run over three times and stripped to his underwear- by car drivers. Lets kill car drivers- scum of the earth etc etc. I rode my old Harley down the south coast of my home state a few years ago to visit a friend. I was pulled over every day I was down there, and on the last day I was booked for failing to signal before turning right- the fact that there was nowhere to turn right was irrelevant. By the end of that day I had been pulled over by five different cops over a two hundred mile stretch. Three times in a day was nothing unusual, but five is still the record for me. Most of my friends ride motorcycles- most work full time, own their own homes, have families and are good people. And I've known several bike riders who've gone to jail because they were acccused of stuff they didn't do by police who wanted to teach them a lesson. If we're gonna talk stupid stereotypes, then I reckon we're in far more danger from crooked cops than from motorcyclists. JayInOz

wizbang 13
08-12-2010, 12:34 AM
....not this time...

The Bigfella
08-12-2010, 12:42 AM
....not this time...

.... without corroborating evidence, I wouldn't be so sure. Cops are as prone as anyone else to inventing stories to cover their own mistakes.

OconeePirate
08-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Down here most departments do not engage in high speed chases unless there is reason from above to do so. Or that's their official policy at least. In my younger days I know I once passed a state trooper and I was going around 120 and he flashed his lights and left it at that.

I asked one of my customer who is a local cop about the super bikes. He told me they'll chase them enough to get a tag number and then catch up with them at home. If the above story is straight it seems like that is what the officer was trying to do, he just should have settled for the trailer's tag numbers and not gotten hung up on getting the leader's.

SamSam
08-12-2010, 09:47 AM
"It's infuriating when all we're trying to do is enforce the laws in the state of Washington and protect the public, said Pratt.Infuriated police aren't good police. If he's infuriated about speeding, it's an overreaction. If he's infuriated because his authority wasn't respected, he's got issues.