PDA

View Full Version : True Joy

Ed Harrow
08-10-2010, 07:19 PM
A kidney stone... The Doc tells me that women tell him they'd rather deliver another baby.

seanz
08-10-2010, 07:28 PM
A kidney stone... The Doc tells me that women tell him they'd rather deliver another baby.

Course they would, babies are cute.

Are you on the 'good stuff' yet?
;):)

Bruce Hooke
08-10-2010, 07:51 PM
So sorry!

Best of luck with it.

huisjen
08-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Ah. Another member joins the club.

Dan

Sam F
08-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Yeah, they're not exactly pleasant. When you find out what sort it is - and I hope the doc's will tell you... it'll be time to figure out what you're going to do about it.

Scott Rosen
08-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Sorry to hear it. I've had two. There are three levels of pain, from least to greatest: excruciating, unbearable and off the chart.

Hope you got some good meds. I also hope it's not so big that you need a procedure.

Now I always travel with my "stone kit," which includes Percocet, Vicodin, Flomax and an anti-nausea drug.

paladin
08-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Ouch!

WX
08-10-2010, 08:10 PM
There are three levels of pain, from least to greatest: excruciating, unbearable and off the chart.

Thanks guys I really needed to know that! :o
I had a cystoscopy once, nearly passed out when I tried to have a piss afterwards!

Ed Harrow
08-10-2010, 08:22 PM
No drugs - Aleve (sp?) has been suggested. I'm supposed to filter (another use for paint filters or nylons) my urine, hoping to catch the little bugger. There's two basic kinds, I think, no doubt mine is the 'you don't drink enough water kind' (I'm told beer qualifies, too ;) )

Anti nausea - today (in class, of course) I was on the verge of tossing my cookies, trying desperately to remember the breathing exercises from child birth classes. They really do work, I've had to use them three times over the past 15 or so years.

Not bad, right now, but it woke me up last night - pretty much off the chart - I think only thing worse was when I added to the number of bones in my legs.

Hwyl
08-10-2010, 08:41 PM
I read somewhere that if you sat in a very warm bath, while drinking copious amounts of beer, you have to do your part to keep the bath warm and yellow. It would pass almost unnoticed. I can see no downside to this potential cure.

Scott Rosen
08-10-2010, 09:14 PM
No Drugs?!? Is it a really small stone? Because if yours is at all like my first one, you'll pass out from pain if you don't get good meds. It took about 10 days to pass my first stone. The second one passed in a day and a half, so I probably could have suffered through without the drugs. But why do that to yourself?

ramillett
08-10-2010, 11:56 PM
Is this your first ? I found setting and laying no help , walking and your breathing work . You want to catch it :) you wont believe how cruel your kidneys can be :) You will know when to start trying to catch it , and every inch of your system .

John B
08-11-2010, 01:26 AM
About 15 + for me over the years. The last effort was 2 weeks of hell and a logjam of about 5 at the same time.

Pain has a ceiling, this is truly one of those situations where mind power is important. I distinctly remember a nurse telling me basically to HTFU on one of the early ones 20 odd years ago and well, thats what you do have to do.

Anti inflammatorys are important,probably the most important medication. The pain medication has to work with them.
Jumping, running, going up and down stairs and steps help on the pain front and help to shake the things out.Its better to move than go fetal.
Lots of fluid, cranberry juice is helpful .

peter radclyffe
08-11-2010, 01:47 AM
eat only bananas

Ed Harrow
08-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Oh, sweet Jesus - Chad, send in your big guns...

Flying Orca
08-12-2010, 08:47 AM
I passed a tiny one once about ten years ago and I remember everlasting stretches of seconds where I literally could not breathe. Sorry to hear you're going through this.

David W Pratt
08-12-2010, 10:52 AM
My former boss had one, I called a sailing buddy who is past Chair of Urology at Columbia Presbyterian, he gave me a referral to the top NYC stone man. Eventually the FB passed a 9mm stone. I told the buddy and he said "better him than me", and he has passed some tiny ones.
Good luck.

Ed Harrow
08-13-2010, 06:41 PM
6 hours in the ER last night.

"He went to his PC doc first!!!!? Nobody does that! (Admitting nurse)

"You're the healthiest 62-year-old-male I've seen in here for some time." (ER Doc - note, BP 196/93, temp ~101)

Drugs. Ahhhh, that's better. "SAM, let's blow this joint."

"Here, drink this."

CAT scan.

Wait two hours.

"You have a kidney stone, but that doesn't explain the temp."

Arrive home 2:30AM

Take drugs in AM, can't eat (eew, yuck, tastes awful), the rest of the day goes well, no more drugs.

Snack well for supper, drink glass of water (3rd for the day).

Flop on recliner ~ 6:45. 7PM - oh, what's that I feel. 7:15 take drug.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Hwyl
08-13-2010, 06:45 PM
I thought you were younger than me, good luck

paladin
08-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Hah! you said the dope you had wuz strong enough. When it happened to me I thought I was having a heart attack since I had never had one at the time.....I swear getting shot was a helluva lot easier.

cjp1063
08-13-2010, 11:57 PM
Toradol: a non-steroidal anti-inflamatory drug... relieved my pain every time within 5 minutes...my best friend before the stone was removed. I was offered morphine once and declined it. I had to drive home! My attacks happened on saturday mornings for some reason. Narcotics make me very entertaining for those around me. My daughter taped me on her cell phone the last time. I'm surprised it didn't make it on to the internet.

ramillett
08-14-2010, 02:12 AM
Ed you need to keep it moving , if you curial in a ball it may feel better , but it is not helping to get it out . It usually hurts more when moving . Hope you get a quick prize :) Bob

Milo Christensen
08-14-2010, 06:31 AM
I've yet to run across a situation that the Bard doesn't have a quote for:

A wretched soul, bruised with adversity,
We bid be quiet when we hear it cry;
But were we burdened with like weight of pain,
As much or more we should ourselves complain.

Syed
08-14-2010, 06:35 AM
Very best wishes, Ed.

Ed Harrow
08-14-2010, 02:36 PM
Ed you need to keep it moving , if you curial in a ball it may feel better , but it is not helping to get it out . It usually hurts more when moving . Hope you get a quick prize :) Bob

'curial in a ball' ???

Let's see, drugs at Midnight, 4AM, 8AM, and a double at 12:30PM.

Toradol is what I got Thursday night. Nice ;) Now it's Percocet. Takes about 15 minutes to calm things down.

Syed, I need to start a separate thread, the topic of which will be neighborly relations with dog. It's not started out too well. :)

Lew Barrett
08-14-2010, 04:41 PM
This too shall pass.

In the meantime, I hope it goes easy, Ed.

Ed Harrow
08-14-2010, 06:06 PM
This too shall pass.

Why I said this to Mum not 15 minutes ago! ;)

John B
08-14-2010, 06:19 PM
Percocet is just a painkiller isn't it. You are prescribed an anti inflamatory as well, eh .

Ed Harrow
08-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Nah, we're tough over here, no socialized wimpy meds for us. :p A misnomer, tho, 'Percocet'. It don't make me feel any too perky, LOL.

John B
08-14-2010, 06:58 PM
I just googled Percocet.. its a narcotic . I don't take narcotics so I might argue with you about the tougher thing:p back atcha.

I've been doing this since about 18 yrs old Ed. The anti inflammatory component is the most important thing you can do to get the thing out and I'll tell you why.
Currently you have a flexible tube with a peppercorn in it, and quite probably it is irregular in shape and has spurs poking out of it. It's niggled at the tube and has been batting at it , inflaming it making the path narrower and constricted.
You need the anti inflams to mitigate that, to open the tube up. You need hydraulic pressure behind it to force it out (so the catch 22 is you need to drink a lot knowing that drinking brings on the pain,) you need to be running and jumping to help the hydraulics.

Simple mechanical process.

Nanoose
08-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Birthing babies isn't that bad.....what's the big deal?
;)

So sorry for your troubles, Ed.
John sounds like the expert on this one.

Ed Harrow
08-14-2010, 08:29 PM
The answer, John, appears to Toradol - that's what I got in hospital. Like I said, nice. I guess I ought to ask about it.

Running and jumping - when one's legs have been broken into as many pieces as mine, running and jumping might be worse than the disease. ;)

Ed Harrow
08-14-2010, 09:06 PM
I'm going to break my self-imposed ban on posting to Harrow threads, ...

So that's why you didn't contribute to the WBF Dave and Ken memorial fund or the Margo/Waione cannon fund? You're a peace ;) of work, Mr Westervelt. I'm loving the pain.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g65/wlgtoo/scan0001.jpg

Lew Barrett
08-14-2010, 11:22 PM
You go Ken!

Enjoy your stone, Ed...I am. Karma is a bitch.

What a nasty thing to say after almost sounding humane. You'd do better just to loose the post Donn. Interesting record of achievement though....hundreds of kidney stones! Impressive!

oznabrag
08-15-2010, 12:49 AM
...hundreds of kidney stones! Impressive!

That's just the meannnnnnness working it's way out of him.

Nothing remarkable, really, when you think about it.

Best from Tejas, Ed.

Ed Harrow
08-15-2010, 03:51 PM
Let's see, 1 kidney stone = bad karma. "A few hundred" = Another beautiful day in Mr Westervelt's neighborhood of positive Karma.

No drugs since 10PM last night. 'plop, plop, fiz, fiz, oh what a relief it is'.

No drugs, no booze, no hangover - but you just carry on for your several hundredth plus kidney stone of good Karma. We'll be thinking of you.

paladin
08-15-2010, 04:12 PM
wishin' ya lotsa luck, Ed....gonna take a couple of Renagel, a cool glass of Mateus Rose.......and get horizontal. I made it all the way downstairs, then back up...took me 4 times as long to get back up.....stopped for a couple of peaches and a handful of grapes from the fridge, a jug of cold water and the Mateus...fed pup and let her out...I'm dunn fer the day......

Lew Barrett
08-15-2010, 10:23 PM
That's just the meannnnnnness working it's way out of him.

It's too bad. He was doing well but lost the plot right at the end.

Ed Harrow
08-16-2010, 11:30 AM
He's probably self-medicating for his several hundredth kidney stone.

John of Phoenix
08-16-2010, 12:08 PM
After you pass a few hundred of them, as I have,
:D Karma indeed. :D
Any wonder he's so... cranky?

Good luck Ed. You have my sympathy. There's no such thing as a "small" kidney stone.