PDA

View Full Version : Jet Blue Flight Attendant becomes a "Hero" to the abused traveling masses,

Nicholas Scheuer
08-10-2010, 07:03 PM
and my post on the subject gets "poofed" in infancy.

Enjoy your next flight, Scot; hope you don't get hit over thge head by some bonehead's oversize luggage.

Moby Nick

John of Phoenix
08-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Popping the escape slide may have been over doing it though. That and grabbing the beer.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-10-2010, 07:39 PM
I thought it showed an admirable sense of style. Good luck to him!

S/V Laura Ellen
08-10-2010, 08:01 PM
As long as he was ready to retire, its was great move.

Steve Paskey
08-10-2010, 08:12 PM
A "great move"? An "admirable sense of style"? You guys are kidding, right? Let's see ... he broadcast obscenities over the public address system to a planeload of people, some of whom were probably children. In all likelihood, the situation got out of hand because he acted in a way that further aggravated an angry passenger. He then ran away from a difficult situation -- one that he helped create and was paid to deal with -- and left his employer and his coworkers in the lurch. He stole two beers, and his activation of the slide at the gate was no small inconvenience to his employer AND his fellow employees.

Admirable? Not at all. He behaved badly and should be scorned. I don't know that he should be prosecuted, but if no employer will hire him and he never works again it would be entirely understandable.

Paul Pless
08-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Admirable? Not at all. He behaved badly and should be scorned. I don't know that he should be prosecuted, but if no employer will hire him and he never works again it would be entirely understandable.

grabbing the beer was worth a point or two

S/V Laura Ellen
08-10-2010, 08:18 PM
A "great move"? An "admirable sense of style"? You guys are kidding, right?

Ahhh...yeah! But not about retiring, no chance of him getting a good job in the near future. Not to mention the possibility of criminal charges.

Bill R
08-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Ironically, I was just on the same flight tonight from Pittsburgh to JFK on my way back to Portland. The flight attendants are being very closed mouthed about it.

Whether you agree or disagree with his actions, you have to somewhat admire a guy who has the balls (or instability) to actually DO what we have all wanted to do at some time in our lives.

Hwyl
08-10-2010, 09:33 PM
and my post on the subject gets "poofed" in infancy.

Enjoy your next flight, Scot; hope you don't get hit over thge head by some bonehead's oversize luggage.

Moby Nick

May I show you to the escape slide Nick, don't let the beers choke you on the way out

bobbys
08-10-2010, 09:34 PM
A "great move"? An "admirable sense of style"? You guys are kidding, right? Let's see ... he broadcast obscenities over the public address system to a planeload of people, some of whom were probably children. In all likelihood, the situation got out of hand because he acted in a way that further aggravated an angry passenger. He then ran away from a difficult situation -- one that he helped create and was paid to deal with -- and left his employer and his coworkers in the lurch. He stole two beers, and his activation of the slide at the gate was no small inconvenience to his employer AND his fellow employees.

Admirable? Not at all. He behaved badly and should be scorned. I don't know that he should be prosecuted, but if no employer will hire him and he never works again it would be entirely understandable..

You make perfect sense its just riding down the slide with a brewski seems like the way i would like to leave a job.

Ian McColgin
08-10-2010, 09:55 PM
I don't care what the provocation, no crew of a vessel - air or sea - has the remotest "right" or even excuse to act in any way that does not put the total safety of all passengers first.

The Bigfella
08-10-2010, 10:31 PM
What's the bet he ends up putting in a stress claim?

Ian McColgin
08-10-2010, 11:37 PM
Of course he was overworked. Flight and cabin crews are way overworked and have been worse than ever since Frank Lorenzo led the Reagan administration to deregulate, essentially desystematize, air service. We now have an example of nearly unfettered market profit coupled with socialized loss.

It's still no legitimate reason for a member of the cabin crew to abandon his duty to the comfort and safety of the passengers, no matter how disgusting, selfish and generally undeserving they are.

yzer
08-11-2010, 04:16 AM
The real world failings of folk heroes are generally overshadowed by their celebrated exploits. The public will forgive Steven Slater for his disregard of safety procedures just as they dismissed Antoine Dodson's penchant for hyperbole.

When times get tough people look for heroes in the oddest places. Maybe these guys are better described as antiheroes.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-11-2010, 05:08 AM
Yzer is right; in these times, the "little man" who stands up for himself against Authority is lionized - think of Hollywood in the Great Depression, from Chaplin's tramp to Frank Capra's films.

If he is prosecuted (I almost wrote "persecuted") I am sure that someone will get up a defense fund, which will be oversubscribed.

With all due respect to Ian's point, I don't think that opening an escape slide with the aircraft at rest (and presumably at the gate?) can be construed as endangering passengers.

And I'm pretty sure he'll get another job, if not in the airline business.

Paul Pless
08-11-2010, 07:26 AM
And I'm pretty sure he'll get another job, if not in the airline business.can anyone say " reality tv" ?

I thought so. . .

Chris Coose
08-11-2010, 07:33 AM
A

He behaved badly and should be scorned.

Sounds to me like he should be sobering up.

paladin
08-11-2010, 08:28 AM
I'd prosecute the passenger for disobeying the rules etc...then prosecute the attendant and suspend charges/punishment....but then I'm the sorta guy that would toss an idiot overboard for crushing his cigarette out on my cabin sole after spending a week sanding and varnishing, and with no smoking signs below decks all over the place.....he had 4 days to go on his charter and I took him back to St. Johns and tossed him and his lady off the boat, and they didn't get their deposit back for willfull damage to the boat.

Nicholas Scheuer
08-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Grabbing the beer on the way out was what made it so good!

Sometimes principal is more important than a job.

Obviouslu Paskey has no sense of humor.

Whil I might agree in principal with Ian, what makes this episode so great is the extreemly W-I-D-E-S-P-R-E-A-D frustration on the part of MOST of us with the present state of airline travel.

The next time I see an "fat" bag (luggage for a week) being stuffed into the overhead, I'm certainly going to complain to the Attendants. People only get away with it because nobody wants to create a scene.

Moby Nick

Breakaway
08-11-2010, 12:39 PM
My bet is he gets on the TV talkshows and subsequently lands a few commercials, in which the incident is used as an outline. "Stressed out? Get in your Beemer and Drive....Have a Cold One.... Visit Aruba... Eat at Olive Garden....

Kevin

Nicholas Carey
08-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Of course he was overworked. Flight and cabin crews are way overworked and have been worse than ever since Frank Lorenzo led the Reagan administration to deregulate, essentially desystematize, air service. We now have an example of nearly unfettered market profit coupled with socialized loss.

It's still no legitimate reason for a member of the cabin crew to abandon his duty to the comfort and safety of the passengers, no matter how disgusting, selfish and generally undeserving they are.Agreed (but I still admire his sense of style :cool:).

Myself, I would have had the obstreperous passenger handcuffed, arrested and charged -- I believe that post-9/11, refusal to obey the orders of the flight crew on a commercial flight constitutes a Federal felony.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Steve Paskey
08-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Turns out there's more to the story ... Haven't we learned not to jump to conclusions when a story first hits the press? Now that the media are interviewing other passengers, it seems that the attendant was rude and agitated throughout the flight, and that HE INITIATED the heated exchange with the passenger at the end of the flight. From the AP ...

Marjorie Briskin, 53, told The Wall Street Journal for a story Thursday that Steven Slater blurted out an expletive during an otherwise normal conversation with a passenger over luggage just after the plane landed in New York from Pittsburgh.

A young woman asked Slater which overhead bin her bag was in, and the conversation quickly and unexpectedly turned nasty after Slater slung the expletive, Briskin told the newspaper.

"I didn't think she was rude in the least," Biskin, who said she was visiting New York for the first time, told the Journal. "It really blew my mind. It was so inappropriate."

Slater had a "nice gash" on his head during the flight, and when it ended began flinging open the overhead bins and slamming them shut, Briskin told the newspaper. Another passenger noted that he spent much of the 90-minute flight slamming overhead bins and refrigerator doors in the galley.

"He looked disturbed at that point," Briskin said.

It's unclear exactly how Slater's face was cut, though he had it as passengers boarded in Pittsburgh and joked that "they're always trying to kill me around here," passenger Kati Doebler told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

Another woman, 25-year-old Lauren Dominijanni, told the Journal that Slater was immediately rude to her after she boarded in Pittsburgh. She said he "rolled his eyes at me" when she asked for a wipe to clean up coffee someone spilled on her seat.

Dominijanni said that she had asked Slater for napkin to clean up the coffee and that he "rolled his eyes at me and said, 'What?' in a real rude manner."

LeeG
08-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Steve, you're spoiling the story we'd like to read.

yzer
08-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Ah, yes. There is always the possibility that the hero is not at all what he seemed to be. As much as the public loves folk heroes, it enjoys tearing them down. I'll stay tuned in for this one.