PDA

View Full Version : Only in the tradition of wood boating........

Chris Coose
08-10-2010, 05:16 PM
....Can a customer call after regular hours, speak to the owner and get all the information he needs in a few minutes to make the purchase.

Steve at Shaw and Tenny in Orono sizes me up, recommends a proper length for a standing-up use canoe paddle, runs to check the stock of seconds (which turns out to be inadequate at this time) and scans my use needs and the transaction is complete in minutes.

I'm getting a 72" ash paddle.

I don't shop... ever... I prefer to buy. And I couldn't see getting around to sculpting a proper paddle any time soon.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
08-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Who ya gonna spank with that paddle?

http://fedora.dlib.indiana.edu/fedora/get/iudl:14247/SCREEN

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
08-10-2010, 05:57 PM
I think Jack needs a spankin Chris.

Bruce Hooke
08-10-2010, 07:22 PM
....Can a customer call after regular hours, speak to the owner and get all the information he needs in a few minutes to make the purchase.

Steve at Shaw and Tenny in Orono sizes me up, recommends a proper length for a standing-up use canoe paddle, runs to check the stock of seconds (which turns out to be inadequate at this time) and scans my use needs and the transaction is complete in minutes.

I'm getting a 72" ash paddle.

I don't shop... ever... I prefer to buy. And I couldn't see getting around to sculpting a proper paddle any time soon.

Yes, great folks up there at Shaw & Tenney!

Chris Coose
08-11-2010, 06:19 AM
If you can not find the time to call during the normal business day, then find another boat carpenter.

Being self-employed, I am able to relate to the caller my needs at any given moment with out being impolite.
Shaw & Tenny gets a 10
Black-Jack a -2.

phiil
08-11-2010, 07:07 AM
My cell phone is my business phone. Yesterday I stepped out of the shower to speak with a customer and take his order. Good thing it's a waterproof phone...

So, it's not only the woodie business. (I manufacture a tool for stretching chain link fence; all steel and cast iron.)