PDA

View Full Version : The Stupid Pill of The Palin

Chris Ostlind
08-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Absolutely rich take on Sarah's language and coherent thought skills from Slate.com http://www.slate.com/id/2262822/

A Grand Unified Theory of Palinisms

Why Sarah Palin says all those stupid and ridiculous things.

By Jacob WeisbergPosted Friday, Aug. 6, 2010, at 10:27 AM ET

Buy Palinisms: The Accidental Wit & Wisdom of Sarah Palin (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0547551428?ie=UTF8&tag=slatmaga-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0547551428), by Jacob Weisberg.

http://img.slate.com/media/1/123125/2090808/2242222/2262821/Palinisms_BookCover.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0547551428?ie=UTF8&tag=slatmaga-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0547551428)

So far as I can tell, Sarah Palin has four core beliefs:

1. Things go better with God.
2. Yay, Alaska!
3. Let's drill that sucker.
4. Curse you, political establishment.

Palinisms occur when Palin expresses one of these views in her idiosyncratically involuted syntax ("It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia"); when she expresses two or more of them in combination ("God's will has to be done, in unifying people and companies to get that gas line built, so pray for that"); or when she says anything at all in her imitable my sentence went on the Tilt-a-Whirl and got nauseous way ("And I think more of a concern has been not within the campaign, the mistakes that were made, not being able to react to the circumstances that those mistakes created in a real positive and professional and helpful way for John McCain").

But the best Palinisms of all result when the huntress encounters something she wasn't hunting for—that is, when Sarah Palin comes into contact with most anything to do with domestic, foreign, or economic policy. It is this situation that generates those priceless let me tap-dance and, also, sing for you a little song while you think of a different question moments. One such was the juncture in her mind-boggling 2008 interview when Katie Couric asked Palin to name a Supreme Court decision she disagreed with, other than Roe v. Wade. Surrounded by hostile forces, out of cartridges for her Remington, she bravely held her ground and kept pulling the trigger, to no effect:

Palin: Well, let's see. There's—of course in the great history of America there have been rulings that there's never going to be absolute consensus by every American, and there are those issues, again, like Roe v. Wade, where I believe are best held on a state level and addressed there. So, you know, going through the history of America, there would be others. But, um.

Couric: Can you think of any?

Palin: Well, I would think of any again that could best be dealt with on a more local level maybe I would take issue with. But, um, you know as a mayor and then as a governor and even as a vice president, if I am so privileged to serve, I would be in a position of changing those things, but in supporting the law of the land as it reads today.
Tina Fey's caricature of Palin as an unprepared high-school student trying to bluff her way through an oral exam by mugging and flirting hit its mark not merely because of the genius of the mimicry, but because of its fundamentally accurate diagnosis of Palin as bull**** artist. Palin's exuberant incoherence testifies to an unusually wide gulf between confidence and ability. She is proud of what she doesn't know and contemptuous of those "experts" and "elitists" who are too knowledgeable to be trusted. This curious self-regard echoes through her book, Going Rogue (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0061939897?ie=UTF8&tag=slatmaga-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0061939897), described by the critic

Jonathan Raban as "a four-hundred-page paean to virtuous ignorance."
The issue is not that Palin, thrust upon the national stage with little warning, still doesn't know all the details. That's understandable. The issue is that she rarely appears to have the slightest grasp of what she's talking about even when she's supposed to know what she's talking about. For instance, in one of the 2008 campaign's most surreal examples of rhetorical excess, John McCain said Palin "knows more about energy than probably anyone else in the United States of America." A few days later, she offered a sample of her expertise in a town hall meeting: "Oil and coal? Of course, it's a fungible commodity and they don't flag, you know, the molecules, where it's going and where it's not. ... So, I believe that what Congress is going to do, also, is not to allow the export bans to such a degree that it's Americans that get stuck to holding the bag without the energy source that is produced here, pumped here."

Bushisms (http://www.slate.com/id/76886/), which I collected for many years, often hinged on a single grammatical or factual error. Palinisms (http://www.slate.com/id/2260939/), by contrast, consist of a unitary stream of patriotic, populist blather. It's like Fox News without the punctuation. It is so devoid of content that it hardly deserves the adjective "truthy." Let's call it "roguey." Palinisms do not have to contain actual evidence of rogue thinking, though; they just have to capture the rogue spirit. It's "Yes, we can, in spite of Them."

The non-Sarah Dittoheads among us have to decide whether to regard this babble—favoring creation science, aerial wolf-shooting, and freedom of the press, so long as the press is "accurate"—as scary or funny. During the 2008 campaign, when there was a real chance that Palin could become the automatic successor to an impulsive, elderly cancer survivor, I found it more scary than funny. After McCain lost, and after Palin terminated her governorship in the effusion of furious gibberish known as her resignation speech, I have found it mostly funny. To be alarmed by Palin today presumes a Republican Party suicidal enough to want her to do more than run its weekend paintball games.

So the spirit of Palinisms is something to be enjoyed. And we can be sure it's a gift that will keep on giving, for, as she says in her book, "God doesn't drive parked cars." Be warned: The one driving her pickup onto the Fox airwaves and into the Twittersphere is hungry for red meat, hard to reason with, and in a big hurry to get going.

This is adapted from the introduction to Palinisms: The Accidental Wit & Wisdom of Sarah Palin (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0547551428?ie=UTF8&tag=slatmaga-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0547551428) (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt). © Jacob Weisberg 2010.

John of Phoenix
08-10-2010, 03:08 PM
dubya in a skirt.

Flying Orca
08-10-2010, 03:12 PM
The article makes a good point, though: she's even less articulate (and arguably either more ignorant or just plain dumber) than G. W. Bush.

TomF
08-10-2010, 03:14 PM
It's like Fox News without the punctuation.Very fine.

Hal Forsen
08-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Watch this encounter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKflKzmfRCw&feature=player_embedded

S/V Laura Ellen
08-10-2010, 04:38 PM
dubya in a skirt.

dubya was never that bad

LeeG
08-10-2010, 04:50 PM
I have some confidence the Republican Party and the United States will recover after another round or two of leeches and blood letting.

Flying Orca
08-10-2010, 05:01 PM
I have some confidence the Republican Party and the United States will recover after another round or two of leeches and blood letting.

A shift from wilful ignorance to honouring knowledge would probably help, too.

Kaa
08-10-2010, 05:07 PM
A shift from wilful ignorance to honouring knowledge would probably help, too.

Nah... that leads to too big a gap with the electorate :D

Kaa

delecta
08-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Bush tested higher then Kerry, enough said on that.

Could someone give me a link to BO's school records?

It is truly amazing how retarded liberals are, if you think someone is highly intelligent you will follow them no matter where they lead you.

According to the liberals Bush is about the dumbest presidents we've ever had, what makes you think that the electorate won't elect someone that is actually stupid?

Shang
08-10-2010, 05:33 PM
...According to the liberals Bush is about the dumbest presidents we've ever had, what makes you think that the electorate won't elect someone that is actually stupid?

Exactly.
And we even know her name.

paul oman
08-10-2010, 05:36 PM
She is a hell of a lot more successful (and wealthy) than anyone here in the forum. For a non office holding person, she is one of the most influential people in America. - No more crazy then 'rev Jackson'.. she has a birth certificate.... A lot more spirit and spunk than our president....

Are you just an anti successful woman sort of caveman?

John of Phoenix
08-10-2010, 06:07 PM
That's it? Just a couple of lame insults? No one is going to refudiate :D the article?

John P Lebens
08-10-2010, 06:45 PM
She is a hell of a lot more successful (and wealthy) than anyone here in the forum. For a non office holding person, she is one of the most influential people in America. - No more crazy then 'rev Jackson'.. she has a birth certificate.... A lot more spirit and spunk than our president....

I guess you just don't have very high expectations for leaders of the free world...

I have no problem with her or anyone else making an honest buck, and I also like her as a Republican politician. She makes an excellent mascot. My long time Republican friends are embarrassed by her.

PeterSibley
08-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Speaking as an uninvited foreigner , there was a time when America was associated with high intelligence .Neither Palin nor Bush were reassuring on this point .

purri
08-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Why am I reminded of Ginsberg's "Howl"?

delecta
08-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Speaking as an uninvited foreigner , there was a time when America was associated with high intelligence .Neither Palin nor Bush were reassuring on this point .

Awwww, you need reassuring. May I ask why?

PeterSibley
08-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Think little Red Button and an idiot .

troutman
08-10-2010, 07:33 PM
The right pretends to idolize ol horse sense. Funny they recruited my late friends son at a big investment bank with his 4.0 from Hopkins. When they need their heart operated on or a tumor cut out of their kids brain they want an Ivy Leaguer who finished first in his class. maybe a Jew they wouldn't let in the country club. We'll see how that Mama Grizzley nonsense washes with women outside crackerville.

Scott Rosen
08-10-2010, 07:58 PM

Not so fast. You shouldn't assume she's wealthier than a group of people you know very little about.

As far as successful -- I'll give her famous. But she can't hold a job. She can't think straight. Barely made it through college. Raised a daughter who's a slut and now a single mom, and now the whole world knows about it. Ruined John McCain's chances to take the White House. She makes her living shooting off her mouth and pissing people off. GWB was a genius compared to her. I could go on. She's a big part of what's pushed me away from the Republican party.

She's an embarassment to our country.

redeye1962
08-10-2010, 08:28 PM
WOW still attacking Sarah, get a life. Shouldn't we worry about someone who is closer to power. Let's not forget someone so stupid even the idiots in the bildge forget.
http://www.slate.com/id/2251652

bobbys
08-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Absolutely rich take on Sarah's language and coherent thought skills from Slate.com http://www.slate.com/id/2262822/

A Grand Unified Theory of Palinisms

Why Sarah Palin says all those stupid and ridiculous things.

By Jacob WeisbergPosted Friday, Aug. 6, 2010, at 10:27 AM ET

Buy Palinisms: The Accidental Wit & Wisdom of Sarah Palin (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0547551428?ie=UTF8&tag=slatmaga-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0547551428), by Jacob Weisberg.

http://img.slate.com/media/1/123125/2090808/2242222/2262821/Palinisms_BookCover.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0547551428?ie=UTF8&tag=slatmaga-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0547551428)

So far as I can tell, Sarah Palin has four core beliefs:

1. Things go better with God.
2. Yay, Alaska!
3. Let's drill that sucker.
4. Curse you, political establishment.

Palinisms occur when Palin expresses one of these views in her idiosyncratically involuted syntax ("It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia"); when she expresses two or more of them in combination ("God's will has to be done, in unifying people and companies to get that gas line built, so pray for that"); or when she says anything at all in her imitable my sentence went on the Tilt-a-Whirl and got nauseous way ("And I think more of a concern has been not within the campaign, the mistakes that were made, not being able to react to the circumstances that those mistakes created in a real positive and professional and helpful way for John McCain").

But the best Palinisms of all result when the huntress encounters something she wasn't hunting for—that is, when Sarah Palin comes into contact with most anything to do with domestic, foreign, or economic policy. It is this situation that generates those priceless let me tap-dance and, also, sing for you a little song while you think of a different question moments. One such was the juncture in her mind-boggling 2008 interview when Katie Couric asked Palin to name a Supreme Court decision she disagreed with, other than Roe v. Wade. Surrounded by hostile forces, out of cartridges for her Remington, she bravely held her ground and kept pulling the trigger, to no effect:

Palin: Well, let's see. There's—of course in the great history of America there have been rulings that there's never going to be absolute consensus by every American, and there are those issues, again, like Roe v. Wade, where I believe are best held on a state level and addressed there. So, you know, going through the history of America, there would be others. But, um.

Couric: Can you think of any?

Palin: Well, I would think of any again that could best be dealt with on a more local level maybe I would take issue with. But, um, you know as a mayor and then as a governor and even as a vice president, if I am so privileged to serve, I would be in a position of changing those things, but in supporting the law of the land as it reads today.
Tina Fey's caricature of Palin as an unprepared high-school student trying to bluff her way through an oral exam by mugging and flirting hit its mark not merely because of the genius of the mimicry, but because of its fundamentally accurate diagnosis of Palin as bull**** artist. Palin's exuberant incoherence testifies to an unusually wide gulf between confidence and ability. She is proud of what she doesn't know and contemptuous of those "experts" and "elitists" who are too knowledgeable to be trusted. This curious self-regard echoes through her book, Going Rogue (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0061939897?ie=UTF8&tag=slatmaga-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0061939897), described by the critic

Jonathan Raban as "a four-hundred-page paean to virtuous ignorance."
The issue is not that Palin, thrust upon the national stage with little warning, still doesn't know all the details. That's understandable. The issue is that she rarely appears to have the slightest grasp of what she's talking about even when she's supposed to know what she's talking about. For instance, in one of the 2008 campaign's most surreal examples of rhetorical excess, John McCain said Palin "knows more about energy than probably anyone else in the United States of America." A few days later, she offered a sample of her expertise in a town hall meeting: "Oil and coal? Of course, it's a fungible commodity and they don't flag, you know, the molecules, where it's going and where it's not. ... So, I believe that what Congress is going to do, also, is not to allow the export bans to such a degree that it's Americans that get stuck to holding the bag without the energy source that is produced here, pumped here."

Bushisms (http://www.slate.com/id/76886/), which I collected for many years, often hinged on a single grammatical or factual error. Palinisms (http://www.slate.com/id/2260939/), by contrast, consist of a unitary stream of patriotic, populist blather. It's like Fox News without the punctuation. It is so devoid of content that it hardly deserves the adjective "truthy." Let's call it "roguey." Palinisms do not have to contain actual evidence of rogue thinking, though; they just have to capture the rogue spirit. It's "Yes, we can, in spite of Them."

The non-Sarah Dittoheads among us have to decide whether to regard this babble—favoring creation science, aerial wolf-shooting, and freedom of the press, so long as the press is "accurate"—as scary or funny. During the 2008 campaign, when there was a real chance that Palin could become the automatic successor to an impulsive, elderly cancer survivor, I found it more scary than funny. After McCain lost, and after Palin terminated her governorship in the effusion of furious gibberish known as her resignation speech, I have found it mostly funny. To be alarmed by Palin today presumes a Republican Party suicidal enough to want her to do more than run its weekend paintball games.

So the spirit of Palinisms is something to be enjoyed. And we can be sure it's a gift that will keep on giving, for, as she says in her book, "God doesn't drive parked cars." Be warned: The one driving her pickup onto the Fox airwaves and into the Twittersphere is hungry for red meat, hard to reason with, and in a big hurry to get going.

This is adapted from the introduction to Palinisms: The Accidental Wit & Wisdom of Sarah Palin (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0547551428?ie=UTF8&tag=slatmaga-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0547551428) (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt). © Jacob Weisberg 2010..

Ad hominem abusive

Ad hominem abusive usually involves insulting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insult) or belittling one's opponent in order to invalidate their argument, but can also involve pointing out factual but ostensible character flaws or actions which are irrelevant to the opponent's argument. This tactic is logically fallacious because insults and even true negative facts about the opponent's personal character have nothing to do with the logical merits of the opponent's arguments or assertions.

bobbys
08-10-2010, 08:50 PM
dubya in a skirt..

Bush in 2

bobbys
08-10-2010, 08:50 PM
The article makes a good point, though: she's even less articulate (and arguably either more ignorant or just plain dumber) than G. W. Bush..

Bush in 3

bobbys
08-10-2010, 08:51 PM
dubya was never that bad.

Bush in 6

bobbys
08-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Speaking as an uninvited foreigner , there was a time when America was associated with high intelligence .Neither Palin nor Bush were reassuring on this point ..

Bush in 15

bobbys
08-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Not so fast. You shouldn't assume she's wealthier than a group of people you know very little about.

As far as successful -- I'll give her famous. But she can't hold a job. She can't think straight. Barely made it through college. Raised a daughter who's a slut and now a single mom, and now the whole world knows about it. Ruined John McCain's chances to take the White House. She makes her living shooting off her mouth and pissing people off. GWB was a genius compared to her. I could go on. She's a big part of what's pushed me away from the Republican party.

She's an embarassment to our country..

Bush in 22

Cuyahoga Chuck
08-10-2010, 09:05 PM
The Barbie Doll president. Just what the country needs in this hour of peril.
What's not to like about a president who is also a babe?

Scott Rosen
08-10-2010, 09:09 PM

Ad hominem abusive

Ad hominem abusive usually involves insulting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insult) or belittling one's opponent in order to invalidate their argument, but can also involve pointing out factual but ostensible character flaws or actions which are irrelevant to the opponent's argument. This tactic is logically fallacious because insults and even true negative facts about the opponent's personal character have nothing to do with the logical merits of the opponent's arguments or assertions.

You'd have to look long and far to find any instance where I engaged in an ad hominim attack.

You can't go after Palin for her substance, or her policy or her ideas. She has none.

She sells herself on her personality. She's all form over substance. And the form is piss-poor.

ChaseKenyon
08-11-2010, 02:11 AM
Black jack this is the second polite warning. The next will not be polite. There are enough of us who were on the internet when it was Darpa net only in the early 70s, most of us still have our access and credentials. Take that as a warning not a threat, but it can become one if you wish.

You seem to have not read the first warning, as you conveniently chose not to respond to that thread at any time after my warning. A thread you were posting on as much a the rest of us combined and you leave the thread after my post.

Now you are doing the same thing here on this thread. So are you going to wise up , or leave, to try and start racist trouble on a different thread.

Most of the WBF folks have multiple brick and mortar school degrees or the easily convertible in the distance learning age equivalent. You would be astounded at the number of PHDs and Multiple PHDs or Equivalent in the "gang". I checked there are more MENSA members or inactive past members here than in the state of NH, which has a very strong local group. And to go to the next level and beyond to find the tri-sigmas (less than 0.000 percent of the population qualifies) it gets even more interesting.Our Ex governor here in NH
The Mega Society is a high IQ society open to people who have scored at the one-in-a-million level on a test of general intelligence credibly claimed to be able to discriminate at that level.[1] The Guinness Book of World Records stated that:[2]

The most elite ultra High IQ Society is the Mega Society with 26 members with percentiles of 99.9999 or 1 in a million.
The public profile of the Mega Society increased with the publication of the Mega Test in 1985 by Dr. Hoeflin.[3] Notable people who took the Mega Test, meeting the Mega Society entrance requirements, include author and columnist Marilyn vos Savant, mathematician Solomon W. Golomb, Chris Langan, and former governor of New Hampshire and White House Chief of Staff John H. Sununu.[4].
You should not take anyone here at the WBF for granted.

I am more than a bit sensitive to Racism but have learned to give folks a chance to redeem themselves over the years. Being half white and considering myself as a red person, and having grown up with Jewish, Armenian, Hindu, Sikh, Parsee, Sicilian, Russian, French, Scott's Gaelic, and Hungarian only speakers, and Quebecquois, and Mohawk & Tsalagi (Cherokee) friends, grandparents and cousins, and especially Swedish non English or just real bad in it parents and my "GIRLFriends". So as "a man of Color" as Vin Diesel says, just in my case red in stead of black, I don't like your racism. If you keep on attacking persons personally and flaunting your current level of racism yes you will probably be banned. There are many of us here, probably 3/4 of the active posters that have no use for the kind of racist statements you have made or repeated.

Ivy leaguer?

I find some of the best medical schools and teaching hospitals are pretty much far and wide outside of the Ivy League zone- Jews in a Country club? If anything the republican party cow tows to the zionists too much- ever read the bible? Probably not- you probably attented a NJ public school and dont know how.

I can not think of in my imagination of a better example of Ad Hominem response to something you do not like.

Ah! I warned you sir about this and you seem determined to flaunt your disrespect for all who have striven for years to accumulate knowledge and truth. Your opinions are not equal to the truth and the facts no matter how personal your responses get.

far and wide outside of the Ivy League zone- Jews in a Country club?This is a personal attack as in CT where I grew up the top 3 of the top ten County club golf courses were Jewish. By 1974 Simsbury, CT had four of the top ten in Ct and two more were in the town to the south and two more were in the town to the east. For over forty years the top ten country clubs in CT included at least three that were Jewish founded and still are primarily Jewish in membership. All of them in the three towns mentioned above in the late 60s aND TO THIS DAY. I am not a Jew but worked at two of these three and was a welcome anytime non member at the third.

Worse yet you have not come up with anything original.:argr<

You have jumped on troutman's bandwagon.:mad:

The right pretends to idolize ol horse sense. Funny they recruited my late friends son at a big investment bank with his 4.0 from Hopkins. When they need their heart operated on or a tumor cut out of their kids brain they want an Ivy Leaguer who finished first in his class. maybe a Jew they wouldn't let in the country club. We'll see how that Mama Grizzley nonsense washes with women outside crackerville
You read this and jumped on the band wagon without even reading it or not being able to. a response to the very word you have initiated as an attack against others.

So the person who needs cash for a car purchase and wont even accept a tellers check or money order is not trust able since he or she judges the whole world according to their personal values,morals, and knowledge.

Either way you repeated someone else's misguided racism and even went on on your own to amplify it as an even greater racism.

PeterSibley
08-11-2010, 05:34 AM

Bush in 15

I know you'll explain that if I ask politely ?

skuthorp
08-11-2010, 05:36 AM
dubya in a skirt.

And likely to be elected by the same crowd. Good luck!

Pugwash
08-11-2010, 07:04 AM
I think this whole thing is generally indicative of the state of the political climate in the US at the moment.

Palins "fail" moment was the Couric interview and her inability to answer the softest of soft ball questions (what newspapers do you read, for example) with any coherence was blamed not on her lack of abilities, but on some MSM conspiracy to discredit her. A theme that has been adopted by subsequent politicians that have failed at personal interviews, Rand Paul & Sharon Angle to name two.

But this was no one off incident for Palin, her resignation speech was a garbled mess & she's even managed to screw up interviews with Bill O'Reilly. There is plenty of footage of her inability to express a coherent thought, even in the most benign of circumstances.

This where it becomes worrying. While the left (and some of the right) express jaw dropping disbelief that this person could be seriously considered for high office the right in general appear to take the view that because she produces such strong emotions that makes her an ideal candidate. No rationalisation of her policies, no defence of her mangled syntax & no substantive support, other than "Yay, Palin!!".

I think it's quite sad that the qualifications for office now just boil down to your ability to annoy the opposition with your stupidity.

John of Phoenix
08-11-2010, 08:39 AM
No need to refudiate anything.
You obviously didn't get the joke. Where's Donn when you need him?

Milo Christensen
08-11-2010, 08:58 AM
I know you'll explain that if I ask politely ?

The number of the post in which George W. Bush is mentioned. This could become somewhat meaningless if someone deleted a post.

paul oman
08-11-2010, 09:32 AM
I'd wager we would all be a lot better and unemployment would be a lot lower if she replaced the jerk we have in the white house today. Impossible to imagine things worse for the country than they are now.

and the white house is crowing today about who their CO dem gov candidate beat the impeached/disbarred candidate of ex pres clinton.
That is about as low a "high point" as you can get - at best it might slow Hillary down a notch as she seeks the presidency in 2012

Real clear obama approval ratings (8/11) 44.6 for --- 50.6 disapproval. Worst approval numbers every. See Jerk in
white house comment above.

Scott Rosen
08-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Impossible to imagine things worse for the country than they are now.

I'm an optimist. Things can always get worse. And they probably will. Enjoy today while you can.

elf
08-11-2010, 11:50 AM

Clearly Paul must be imagination impaired.

Sorry about the ad hominen attack, but if you can't imagine the nation and the world being in worse shape than it is now, you cannot possibly be paying attention to the economy, science, tribalism and religion, the information dissemination industry, and just about every other element in the current world situation.

Captain Blight
08-11-2010, 01:55 PM

You have a serious dearth of imagination if this is true. I can imagine things just a hell of a lot worse, and getting worse faster.

Question: You keep harping on about how Gov't should stay out of business. How do you square this against the idea that the Government, in the form of Mr Obama and the Congress, need to create jobs? How is this to be done without either expanding the government pay rolls, or interfering with the private sector?

Kaa
08-11-2010, 02:15 PM
How do you square this against the idea that the Government, in the form of Mr Obama and the Congress, need to create jobs? How is this to be done without either expanding the government pay rolls, or interfering with the private sector?

Oh, that's simple :D The government should interfere less with the private sector. Relaxing regulations is an easy and cheap way of stimulating non-governmental job growth.

Unfortunately, power-hungry control freaks don't like this method.

Kaa

TomF
08-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Right. Which regulations shall we relax - the ones governing safety requirements for offshore oil drilling perhaps? The ones governing rather complicated bundlings of investments and mortgages into goods traded in international financial circles? How about fishery catch quotas? Perhaps simply reduce things like safety standards in factory operations, or emission standards in heavy industry.

Pugwash
08-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Relaxing regulations is an easy and cheap way of stimulating non-governmental job growth.
Kaa

You now sound like Ron, claiming that we need to lower taxes so that the US can return to it's heydays in the fifties (when the top tax rate was 91%).

It was lack of regulation that got us here in the first place.

Kaa
08-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Right. Which regulations shall we relax

I am sure it's not hard to come up with a reasonable list.

But are you really saying there are NO government regulations that should be relaxed? Nothing at all, everything is either perfect or needs to be tightened further?

Kaa

TomF
08-11-2010, 02:56 PM
I'm sure that some regulations can be relaxed - and am painfully aware that the relaxations which come to mind in Canadian political life in the hope of stimulating growth have had costs. Alberta's changes in the 90s to environmental protection procedures, for instance, took away the measuring and enforcement role from a government department, putting the onus on industry to self-report.

That's gone well, up in oil country. But development and jobs boomed.

paul oman
08-11-2010, 03:11 PM
If obama was doing a good job, and his poll ratings were up, there wouldn't be a palin thread here. Nuff said.

Cuyahoga Chuck
08-11-2010, 03:27 PM
If obama was doing a good job, and his poll ratings were up, there wouldn't be a palin thread here. Nuff said.

Are you kidding? She's the cheerleader who would be president. I can see it all now. Sarah being sworn in .

I Sarah Palin,how 'bout a rah?
Do solemly swear, gooooo team!,
That I will faithfully excute the office of president of the United States, aint I cute?
And will to the best of my abillity, here's a salute!!
preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United State, except the parts I think are ickee!
Well you get the idea.....

Kaa
08-11-2010, 03:30 PM
...have had costs.

Well, no one invalidated TANSTAAFL :-)

But development and jobs boomed.

There we go.

Kaa

Chris Ostlind
08-11-2010, 03:43 PM

Actually, Paul, if Sarah would simply shut her pie hole, there'd be no thread of this type. Barack didn't say these dumb things that seem to fall effortlessly from Palin's lipsticked orifice. That resource is Sarah's and Sarah's alone.

Me thinks you are applying the incorrect cause and effect to the point of it all. You do not correct one person's actions by applying correction to another.

Personally, I'd like to see and hear her in an S&M headgear, complete with red rubber ball. But then, that would start to attract all the folks from the Republican National Committee and we'd be back to square one.

Nicholas Scheuer
08-11-2010, 04:12 PM
The really scary part is not Palin herself, ti's all the people who are dumb enough to take her seriously, which is the point of the original article quote4d in the original post. The USA has a lot of incredibly stupid people (yet suposedly "well-deucated") who are very very ready to vote for someone like Palin for President.

Palin wealthy? Yeah, she wrote a more or less illerterate book, and lots of very very stupid pewople bought a copy for list price in bookstores all across the USA.

The Roman Empire fizzled from being militarily over-extended all over the known world, while Rome became ever more decadent. The Spanish and British Empires declined for various reasons. The USA is in the process of SETTING A WORLD RECORD for declice at this very moment, not because of Obama, but because of the "Party Of No", and people like Palin.

Moby Nick

Gonzalo
08-11-2010, 05:29 PM
I am sure it's not hard to come up with a reasonable list.I'd sincerely be interested to see your list, as specific as possible. I'm not trying to play "gotcha" or even to debate items on your list (though I might.) I'd just like to see specifically which ones you mean.

But are you really saying there are NO government regulations that should be relaxed? Nothing at all, everything is either perfect or needs to be tightened further?I'm sure we both know Tom doesn't believe that. We've all heard of some regulations are stupid, unnecessary, extreme, poorly thought-out, or poorly applied.

paul oman
08-11-2010, 05:37 PM
it is only the crazy left press that keeps following her around looking for any slip-up. They could just ignore her like they do thousands of other conservative talking heads, but no, they seem so afraid of her.

Glen Longino
08-11-2010, 05:44 PM
..."looking for any slip-up"...

Nobody has to look for a slip-up.
Sarah Is a slip-up.

Cuyahoga Chuck
08-11-2010, 06:07 PM
it is only the crazy left press that keeps following her around looking for any slip-up. They could just ignore her like they do thousands of other conservative talking heads, but no, they seem so afraid of her.

Once you are in the line of succession for the presidency or come close to getting into that line you get a certain notariety.
And beyond politics Palin is a media darling and will see here faux pauxs in the tabloid press just like her buddy Rush Whatisname. I think she will end up making big bucks in Hollywood.
You knew all this, didn't you?

Chris Ostlind
08-11-2010, 06:23 PM

It's not necessary to "follow her around", Paul. She publicly bleats creepy at about the same rate as a toothless carney. At least the carneys know they're grossly offensive, so they tend to keep a very down-low presence. I only wish that the same thing could be said about Palin. Whoring for dollars is one way to become rich in America... especially when one has no substantive talent.

John Smith
08-11-2010, 06:28 PM
The article makes a good point, though: she's even less articulate (and arguably either more ignorant or just plain dumber) than G. W. Bush.

You give her far too little credit. She's made herself a millionaire. If Bush wasn't born into money, I doubt he'd have any.

Not sure what this means, but it's certainly true.

Osborne Russell
08-11-2010, 06:53 PM
According to the liberals Bush is about the dumbest presidents we've ever had, what makes you think that the electorate won't elect someone that is actually stupid?

Exactamente.

Hal Forsen
08-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Not sure what this means, but it's certainly true.

Like ol' Mencken said,
"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. "

Gonzalo
08-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Like ol' Mencken said,
"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. " That'd be "misunderestimating", according to W.

Ron Preston
08-14-2010, 09:14 PM
Would someone give me a link to anything about BO...

Ron Preston
08-14-2010, 09:16 PM
Holds true to the folks posting on this thread too.

Ron Preston
08-14-2010, 09:41 PM
Clearly Paul must be imagination impaired.

Sorry about the ad hominen attack, but if you can't imagine the nation and the world being in worse shape than it is now, you cannot possibly be paying attention to the economy, science, tribalism and religion, the information dissemination industry, and just about every other element in the current world situation.

Don't apologize for your attack, it isn't warranted. Besides, you are a second rate amateur compared to these other lefties... What's worse is, you are probably right about him being imagination impaired. Give him a break, another couple months and he'll be able to imagine how bad it can get. Just wait you'll see.

John P Lebens
08-14-2010, 10:25 PM
A Wasilla, AK attorney I know says many in the town are shocked she has gone as far as she has. They consider her to be an inept clown. She can't speak, write or think coherently. She was a destructive and divisive mayor.

Garret
08-14-2010, 10:32 PM

They never came as close to being VP as she did. We know Rush & Glen will never get elected to anything, but millions of people voted for the McCain/Palin ticket - that's what makes us afraid.

oznabrag
08-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Like ol' Mencken said,
"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. "

Huh. I thought it was P.T. Barnum who said that 'Nobody ever got rich overestimating the intelligence of the American public'.

I learn something new here every day!

Lew Barrett
08-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Would someone give me a link to anything about BO...

Hey Junior,

Around here people looking for information are gentle pointed to Google. Lookign for ammo? Dig up your own.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! It didn't take you long to find the bilge and make representations about the kind of people posting to this thread!

Osborne Russell
08-14-2010, 11:09 PM
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2010/8/15/focus/6860788&sec=focus

“Peaceful New Yorkers, pls refute the Ground Zero mosque plan if you believe catastrophic pain caused @ Twin Towers site is too raw, too real.”

Refute the plan? WTF does that mean? Wait, it gets better: originally she said "refudiate", which Donn said he believed to be have been mis-spelled, but couldn't say because he couldn't find it in the dictionary because it isn't a word.

Ron Preston
08-14-2010, 11:42 PM
Hey Junior,

Around here people looking for information are gentle pointed to Google. Lookign for ammo? Dig up your own.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! It didn't take you long to find the bilge and make representations about the kind of people posting to this thread!

It took longer to find the bilge than to figure out the kind of people posting it.

Lew Barrett
08-14-2010, 11:53 PM
But here you are, right in amongst 'em! As I said, welcome stranger: what took you so long?

RodB
08-15-2010, 12:38 AM
Lots of other views than in this left wing bilge... She still instills such a level of fear in the hearts of the far left.

The hate and fear for this woman continues ...endlessly... BTW... the next President will probably be Newt Gingrich, or Romney.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olPZbIpj8Uo

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2010/05/a-conservatives-case-for-sarah-palins-genius/56790/

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2008-10-27/sarah-palins-a-brainiac/

To Know Her Is To Respect Her
The great Palin divide.

BY FRED BARNES
November 3 - November 10, 2008, Vol. 14, No. 08
SHARETHIS

Lorne Michaels is the longtime executive producer of Saturday Night Live. Sarah Palin appeared on SNL in mid-October, after which Michaels noted, "Her politics aren't my politics." But that wasn't all he said. "I think Palin will continue to be underestimated," Michaels told EW.com. "I watched the way she connected with people, and you can see that she's a very powerful, very disciplined, incredibly gracious woman. This was her first time out and she's had a huge impact. People connect to her."

Randy Ruedrich, the Republican chairman in Alaska, is someone you might suspect would be a friend and ally of Palin. He isn't. She helped drive him off the state's Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, criticized him publicly, and later tried to get him ousted as party chairman. Ruedrich is part of the "body count" of male politicians Palin left behind as she rose to become governor of Alaska. Yet Ruedrich says Palin is smart, very capable, and a political star.

Ruedrich isn't alone among Alaska politicians who take a cold-blooded view of Palin. Another Republican who has followed her career closely believes Palin has a ruthless streak. Yet this person, too, regards Palin as a rare talent with the skill and self-confidence to be a national political leader. And Palin's Alaska acquaintances were certain, from the moment she became John McCain's vice presidential running mate, that her acceptance speech would be a smashing success and she'd have little trouble in her debate with Joe Biden. Turned out they were right.

http://thecrossedpond.com/2008/08/

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20013520-503544.html

http://hotair.com/greenroom/archives/2010/08/14/armed-forces-paging-sarah-palin/

R

oznabrag
08-15-2010, 01:02 AM
Lots of other views than in this left wing bilge... She still instills such a level of fear in the hearts of the far left.

If the Left is afraid of Palin, it's because we're afraid that people are stupid enough to elect her.

RodB
08-15-2010, 01:13 AM
A lot of people were stupid enough to elect Obama!!! Look where we are now.

R

yzer
08-15-2010, 01:22 AM
How can I be afraid of the ex-1/2 Governor when I'm too busy laughing at her?

oznabrag
08-15-2010, 01:37 AM

R

If only you were capable.

sdowney717
08-15-2010, 07:02 AM
WOW still attacking Sarah, get a life. Shouldn't we worry about someone who is closer to power. Let's not forget someone so stupid even the idiots in the bildge forget

Joe 'Bite Me Biden' deserves another thread.
When I first heard that I LOL, and then later I realized it just fit him for some reason.

Tom Montgomery
08-15-2010, 10:15 AM
WOW still attacking Sarah, get a life.

So long as Sarah continues to behave like she intends to run for national public office she is fair game.

John Smith
08-15-2010, 10:39 AM
I'd wager we would all be a lot better and unemployment would be a lot lower if she replaced the jerk we have in the white house today. Impossible to imagine things worse for the country than they are now.

and the white house is crowing today about who their CO dem gov candidate beat the impeached/disbarred candidate of ex pres clinton.
That is about as low a "high point" as you can get - at best it might slow Hillary down a notch as she seeks the presidency in 2012

Real clear obama approval ratings (8/11) 44.6 for --- 50.6 disapproval. Worst approval numbers every. See Jerk in
white house comment above.

Unlikely. If we're going to be honest about the present state of our nation, we must be so without party glasses on. A number of things got us here. For those who don't like deficit spending and bigger government, let's look at the Reagan presidency; tripled the debt.

Let's also look at the history of outsourcing jobs. My recollection is that it became the "in" thing to do during the 80's, which is not to blame it on Reagan, as it may well be coincidental it started then. The film "Roger and Me" showed how the car manufacturing jobs leaving Flint Michigan devastated that town. No doubt this scene has repeated itself over and over again across the country where major employers have moved their operations elsewhere.

Bill Clinton got a handle on the debt, but he also signed the bill that allowed different types of financial institutions to merge, creating the unintended (I hope) consequence of poor ovrsight and rampant garbage that led to the Wall Street problems.

W. Bush really blew the hell out of our deficits, and left Obama far more **** than Clinton had found. Anyone who took office when Obama did would be faced with the same set of major problems.

It is, I think, simple math. The more good jobs that are lost, even if they are replaced by lower paying jobs, create more jobs being lost, as the middle class has less money to spend. It's a downward cycle that is not easy to reverse. Also, every pay cut that comes about this way, means less money going into Social Security.

The only answer to this is better jobs for the middle class. How we get there from here, needing 60 votes in the senate to do anything, I have no idea.

Palin is a strange woman, but she's a rich, strange woman. Talk about seizing on an opportunity.

John Smith
08-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Oh, that's simple :D The government should interfere less with the private sector. Relaxing regulations is an easy and cheap way of stimulating non-governmental job growth.

Unfortunately, power-hungry control freaks don't like this method.

KaaSadly, this overly simplistic concept denied much of history. Most, if not all, laws passed by the government that control/regulate business have been in response to something that unregulated business has done that was bad for the people, like dumping toxic waste, polluting the air, unsafe working conditions, etc.....

Gerarddm
08-15-2010, 10:44 AM
They could just ignore her like they do thousands of other conservative talking heads, but no, they seem so afraid of her

No, no... you are mistaken here. They follow her around not because they are afraid of her, but because she's a walking talking train wreck.

I think it can be succinctly said that anybody who takes Sarah Palin and her ilk seriously is what is wrong with this country.

Ooop, there, I've succinctly said it.

John Smith
08-15-2010, 10:49 AM
I am sure it's not hard to come up with a reasonable list.

But are you really saying there are NO government regulations that should be relaxed? Nothing at all, everything is either perfect or needs to be tightened further?

Kaa

I'd make some changes. I'd start with taxes. NO taxes of any kind would come out of the first $20k of income. Payroll taxes would not have a cap after that.

I would make drugs and prostitution legal, although I would regulate them.

I would change things so that people cannot hide behind a corporation to avoid criminal charges.

I am open to changing regulations that encourage the buiding of facories here, as long as so doing does not leave the worker and consumer unprotected.

Tom Montgomery
08-15-2010, 10:52 AM
Joe 'Bite Me Biden' deserves another thread.

Start one, by all means.

It seems to me that anyone who thinks Sarah Palin's competency and accomplishment even approaches Joe Biden's is... uh... screwy.

John Smith
08-15-2010, 10:53 AM

There is a bit of dishonesty in this post. One can look at what Obama has managed to do, and one can look at what he may have managed to do if everything hadn't been filibustered.

A great deal of what has or has not been achieved in his first 18 months has been dictated by the need to get 60 votes to pass anything.

John Smith
08-15-2010, 10:56 AM
A Wasilla, AK attorney I know says many in the town are shocked she has gone as far as she has. They consider her to be an inept clown. She can't speak, write or think coherently. She was a destructive and divisive mayor.
This is her strong point, up to a point.

The people in the crowd who listen to her, kind of fill in their own blanks. They assume she agrees with them. She is a strange person, and appeals to the Tea Party who seem to believe she agrees with them.

Like them, she doesn't know her history. Look at how she, and they, idolize Reagan. They use his name to rant against amnesty for illegal aliens, although he granded amnesty to illegal aliens. They use his name to rail against arms reduction, although he negotiated an arms reduction treaty. They use his name to rail against deficit spending, but he tripled the debt.

Etc.

John Smith
08-15-2010, 11:02 AM

R

Do you really believe we are where we are because of 18 months of Obama, rather than decades of jobs leaving this country?

troutman
08-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Oscar Wilde said the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about. Palin, rush, beck and orilley need to be in the media everyday to justify their paychecks and ratings. Bush like him or not was in politics and public life. Their in showbiz. Comedians. Bush and Obama faced the voters. Palin is for suckers.

sdowney717
08-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Start one, by all means.

It seems to me that anyone who thinks Sarah Palin's competency and accomplishment even approaches Joe Biden's is... uh... screwy.

No, I dont have enough feeling for that one and if I did it I think it would get little play here.

here is a little background on it
http://www.liberallyconservative.com/joe-bite-me-biden-gop-blitzkrieg-are-republicans-nazis/
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/23/AR2010062301109.html

troutman
08-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Joe Biden's been serving his state and country for 30 years. His financial disclosure statement has his 500k house and that's about it. Palin couldn't carry his gym bag.

Cuyahoga Chuck
08-15-2010, 12:02 PM
No, I dont have enough feeling for that one and if I did it I think it would get little play here.

here is a little background on it
http://www.liberallyconservative.com/joe-bite-me-biden-gop-blitzkrieg-are-republicans-nazis/
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/23/AR2010062301109.html

Could you lay off posting all those web addresses? Your on-line access isn't any better than ours so we don't need you as a librarian.
If you have an arguement to make it's necessary for you to lay it out so all the contenders are on the same page.

Rozumis'?

RodB
08-15-2010, 12:06 PM
No, no... you are mistaken here. They follow her around not because they are afraid of her, but because she's a walking talking train wreck.

I think it can be succinctly said that anybody who takes Sarah Palin and her ilk seriously is what is wrong with this country.

Ooop, there, I've succinctly said it.

Whats wrong with the country is the liberal Political correctness that defies logic all through our society in addition to the "nanny state" ideology along with the redistribution of wealth philosophy.

Sarah may not be the presidential material we would like, but she does hit home with some basic common sense relating to many issues which seem to be reflected in the response she gets around the country. At minimum, she can continue to point out the idiotic carryings on of the present administration and how the majority of the country want no part of the "vision" Obama and his ilk have in mind for the country.

RodB

Glen Longino
08-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Rod, the "majority of the country want no part of the vision" of Dallas, Texas fundamentalism.
That's a Good Thang!

Captain Blight
08-15-2010, 01:08 PM
It took longer to find the bilge than to figure out the kind of people posting it.Intelligent, articulate, kind-hearted, concerned citizens? Yep, we're everywhere.

Captain Blight
08-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Whats wrong with the country is the liberal Political correctness that defies logic all through our society in addition to the "nanny state" ideology along with the redistribution of wealth philosophy.

Sarah may not be the presidential material we would like, but she does hit home with some basic common sense relating to many issues which seem to be reflected in the response she gets around the country. At minimum, she can continue to point out the idiotic carryings on of the present administration and how the majority of the country want no part of the "vision" Obama and his ilk have in mind for the country.

RodB

It might help clear up some misunderstandings if you could go into this a little deeper. I *think* I know what you're driving at; but could you expand on this a little? I'm very curious to know what you understand:
What this "redistribution of wealth philosophy" is
what constitututes "nanny state" (and maybe you could touch on how this is enforced)
What it is about 'liberal Political correctness' you find illogical
Because words have meaning; words have power. If we're defining things differently, maybe I need to find new words.

Thanks.

RodB
08-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Watch the national news... even you will be able to understand my comments.

R

Captain Blight
08-15-2010, 02:04 PM
I'm not after what a bunch of blow-dried talking heads think. I'm curious to know what you think.

I'm not going to tear it apart, either; I just want to know.

Cuyahoga Chuck
08-15-2010, 02:15 PM

RodB

If you think Barach Obama is an idiot and Sarah Palin is a genius you are dealing in a universe that is far different from mine.
To see the difference all one has to do is read transcriptions of their public utterences. With Obama's trascriptions all the transcriber has to do is supply the puntuation. With Palin's, finding the beginnings and ends of sentences would be a forlorn quest.

Captain Blight
08-15-2010, 02:38 PM
It's true, she's not the orator Mr Obama is; few are. What bothers me about Ms. Palin is that she really doesn't strike me as having any original ideas (that's okay, she's Conservative, tried and tested seems to work okay, right?) about anything, and no one has any idea what her approach to foreign policy decisions would be. She's probably answered some questions, but I can't make sense of her answers. She always seems to default to buzzwords and talking points, never seems to be able to utter a simple declarative sentence. She would make a laughingstock of us all as President.

Peerie Maa
08-15-2010, 02:56 PM
It's true, she's not the orator Mr Obama is; few are. What bothers me about Ms. Palin is that she really doesn't strike me as having any original ideas (that's okay, she's Conservative, tried and tested seems to work okay, right?) about anything, and no one has any idea what her approach to foreign policy decisions would be. She's probably answered some questions, but I can't make sense of her answers. She always seems to default to buzzwords and talking points, never seems to be able to utter a simple declarative sentence. She would make a laughingstock of us all as President.

Similar problem to that we have with our far right. They rely on dogma, have few original ideas, think that the world today will respond to last centuries solutions. Frankly they terrify me.

RodB
08-15-2010, 02:57 PM
If you think Barach Obama is an idiot and Sarah Palin is a genius you are dealing in a universe that is far different from mine.
To see the difference all one has to do is read transcriptions of their public utterences. With Obama's trascriptions all the transcriber has to do is supply the puntuation. With Palin's, finding the beginnings and ends of sentences would be a forlorn quest.

Don't speak for me with words that I did not say. Obama is a great orator... although if he's talking, he's most likely telling lies. Palin at least has some solid conservative ideas which many folks in the country can relate to. Perhaps some of her basic tenents jive with many common sense folks in the country. I'd don't think the Obama administration has made much sense (both with actions and words) since day one.

Similar problem to that we have with our far right. They rely on dogma, have few original ideas, think that the world today will respond to last centuries solutions. Frankly they terrify me.

I think Obama and you have the majority of the country terrified right now.

RodB

oznabrag
08-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Don't speak for me with words that I did not say. Obama is a great orator... although if he's talking, he's most likely telling lies.

Name one.

Palin at least has some solid conservative ideas which many folks in the country can relate to. Perhaps some of her basic tenants jive with many common sense folks in the country. I'd don't think the Obama administration has made much sense (both with actions and words) since day one.

RodB

First, I'm sure that you meant to use the word 'tenets'. Second, name one.

Cite, please.

Peerie Maa
08-15-2010, 03:07 PM
"Similar problem to that we have with our far right. They rely on dogma, have few original ideas, think that the world today will respond to last centuries solutions. Frankly they terrify me."

I think Obama and you have the majority of the country terrified right now.

RodB

That looks like a knee jerk post typed before you had thought about who you were responding to and what the content really was.
A reminder - I am not an American, I'm British.

Garret
08-15-2010, 03:09 PM
http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by RodB http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?p=2687098#post2687098)
Palin at least has some solid conservative ideas which many folks in the country can relate to. Perhaps some of her basic tenants jive with many common sense folks in the country. I'd don't think the Obama administration has made much sense (both with actions and words) since day one.

RodB

Cite, please.

Maybe he did mean that she has some tenants who have ideas that correlate to those of other people? B:? ;)

RodB
08-15-2010, 03:14 PM
You have got to be kidding...???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UErR7i2onW0

http://www.google.com/search?q=obama+lies&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=vnl&source=univ&tbs=vid:1&tbo=u&ei=dEhoTIzhHIOBlAerrLGeBQ&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CC4QqwQwAw

http://obamalies.net/obama-lies-directory

http://www.audacityofhypocrisy.com/fashion-shows/

Cite, please.

Guess I misspelled a word... Gotcha works again... Correction..... "TENETS"

Glen Longino
08-15-2010, 03:16 PM
I suspect Sahah has more "tenants" than she has "tenets"!

RodB
08-15-2010, 03:33 PM
That looks like a knee jerk post typed before you had thought about who you were responding to and what the content really was.
A reminder - I am not an American, I'm British.

It sounded like you live here at first glance... Just stay in the UK with your attitude...
|:)

R

Glen Longino
08-15-2010, 03:41 PM
It sounded like you live here at first glance... Just stay in the UK with your attitude...

R

Lordy!
Yeah, Peerie Maa(what kind of subversive name is that anyhow?;)) we don't need no stinking liberal European ideas over here in the badlands.
We're backward, ignert, Paleo-Cons and we're proud of it, thank you very much!

RodB
08-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Glen,

Why don't you move out to San Francisco, you'd fit in great.....

Somehow you just seem to be out of place in Texas.

:d

RodB

Glen Longino
08-15-2010, 03:50 PM
:D
I know, Rod!
But I was born 9 miles from here so I feel like I belong here.
Better idea, why don't you move to Somalia?:D

Captain Blight
08-15-2010, 03:52 PM

R"Give me your tired, your poor, your hungry, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free..."

Nice, Rod. Real nice.

Ignore him, folks, he doesn't speak for all of us.

RodB
08-15-2010, 03:57 PM
"Give me your tired, your poor, your hungry, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free..."

Blight.... I think I'll ignore you till Nov then rub it in after the elections.

RodB

Glen Longino
08-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Don't be too hard on him, Blight.
He's just scared!
Haven't you noticed that these fundamentalist Christian conservatives who have God on their side are the scaredest hombres among us?

perldog007
08-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Think little Red Button and an idiot .

Iran says those nukes are for peaceful purposes.....

Captain Blight
08-15-2010, 04:09 PM
"When fascism comes to these shores it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." ~Sinclair Lewis

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. This is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and for exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every country.” ~ Hermann Goering

Republicans here have lately posted that the Dems are shaking in their shoes about november. I indeed am, but not for the reasons they suspect. I fear that their aims are a Christian theocracy and a total suspension of rule of law as we have known it. This is something I absolutely will take up arms and fight to prevent.

RodB
08-15-2010, 04:13 PM
I know, Ron!
But I was born 9 miles from here so I feel like I belong here.
Better idea, why don't you move to Somalia?

The name is Rod... you need to work on the reading comprehension?

You'd fit in well in Somalia as a pirate that was confused most of the time.

Rodb

RodB
08-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Republicans here have lately posted that the Dems are shaking in their shoes about november. I indeed am, but not for the reasons they suspect. I fear that their aims are a Christian theocracy and a total suspension of rule of law as we have known it. This is something I absolutely will take up arms and fight to prevent.

Let me get this straight... your side won the election with the majority of both houses of Congress, have spent more money than ever in history... have created virtually no new jobs... passed a cluster F__k for healthcare legislation... and you you are worried about losing the majority in November... Do you stick your head outside your door once in awhile????

RodB

Glen Longino
08-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Rod, it was a simple typo.
I edited it, so now it's right, er, I mean Correct.;)

Captain Blight
08-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Let me get this straight... your side won the election with the majority of both houses of Congress, have spent more money then ever in history... have created virtually no new jobs... passed a cluster F__k for healthcare legislation... and you you are worried about losing the majority in November... Do you stick your head outside your door once in awhile????

RodB
It's not the job of government to create new jobs. Seriously.

The goatscrew that got passed might have fared better had the Republicans been serious about any sort of co-operation. Where's the compromise from your end, Rod? What are YOU doing to help find common ground?

I'm not worried about losing the majority in November. I'm worried about authoritiarian bullies sending out jackbooted thugs in retaliation for having dared to defy them in open elections. I seriously am. I know Republicans love to kiss the hand that chokes them; I am made of sterner stuff than that, but I still worry. Religious-based legislation resulting in the severe restriction on personal liberty is a very real threat to me, and I will move Heaven (should it prove to exist, after all) and Earth to prevent it. Keep your ancient myths out of my life, out of my schools and out of my laws. I don't think you understand the fear I have for religious zealots of every stripe: There is no compromise possible with someone who believes their motivation is God's word, and therefore above the law. Since I can't talk them out of it, the next best thing I can do is try to make sure they never have the chance to foist their beliefs on me from an elected seat.

Glen Longino
08-15-2010, 04:29 PM
"...spent more money "then" ever in history..."

Dangit Rod, will you please learn the difference between "then" and "than"?
Talk about comprehension!

RodB
08-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Glen,

I usually ignore simple typos...then I was given some **** about my tenet spelling...

Boy, were having a hell of an August... I'm working on boats alot...but having to go very early or late due to the heat.

R

Glen Longino
08-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Glen,

I usually ignore simple typos...then I was given some **** about my tenet spelling...

Boy, were having a hell of an August... I'm working on boats alot...but having to go very early or late due to the heat.

R

Now you're talking, Rod!
It's been 100+ every day this month.
I just can't tolerate the heat like I did when I was younger.
I'm thinking about making Nanoose Deb adopt me and take me to Vancouver.
Hey, if we refused to discuss politics or religion, we could likely be pards.;)

sdowney717
08-15-2010, 05:00 PM
i think this one says a lot about 'you fill in the blank'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlTxGHn4sH4

RodB
08-15-2010, 05:02 PM
Yea, whether sanding or applying epoxy... I'm dripping wet all the time and drinking plenty of water... I 'm getting better the last few weeks by spending more time in the heat... I had to take it slow at first.

Tuesday, I spent about 3 hours polishing out a gelcoat repair on a Hunter 41 at dockside... due to a railing I had to run the sander/polisher on my side laying on the dock... soaked with sweat for sure. I am getting older and the heat lets you know it PDQ.

Peerie Maa
08-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Yea, whether sanding or applying epoxy... I'm dripping wet all the time and drinking plenty of water... I 'm getting better the last few weeks by spending more time in the heat... I had to take it slow at first.

Tuesday, I spent about 3 hours polishing out a gelcoat repair on a Hunter 41 at dockside... due to a railing I had to run the sander/polisher on my side laying on the dock... soaked with sweat for sure. I am getting older and the heat lets you know it PDQ.

Be sure that you replace the salts as well.

SamSam
08-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Now you're talking, Rod!
It's been 100+ every day this month.
I just can't tolerate the heat like I did when I was younger.
I'm thinking about making Nanoose Deb adopt me and take me to Vancouver.
Hey, if we refused to discuss politics or religion, we could likely be pards.;)

http://www.homewithsoy.com/images/dogfan.jpg

PeterSibley
08-15-2010, 06:06 PM
Thanks fellas , that was an amicable end to a thread verging on unpleasantness .