PDA

View Full Version : "Is it possible to get 100% of something?"

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-10-2010, 07:59 AM
asked Charles, last night.

I thought for a bit, and said "Well, you could get full marks in a test; that would be 100%"

"Not necessarily", said the Apprentice Master of the Universe.

"Why not?" I asked.

"Well, I got fifteen out of ten in my last English test, and twelve out of ten in my last Maths test."

"How?"

"Well, I knew all the answers and they were easy but I knew a lot more so I kept on writing!"

Y>

TomF
08-10-2010, 08:21 AM
Freakin' kids these days. All this "ooohh, I got 15 out of 10" rot. No respect for limits.

Back in my day ....

(:D give him my congrats!)

OconeePirate
08-10-2010, 09:21 AM
My high school science teacher, I had him for chemistry and physics, he gave hard enough tests that he tended to have to grade on a curve in order to pass a reasonable percentage of the class.
I (usually) knew all the answers on the tests. He refused to score higher than 99%.
On a project (one of those envelopes of stuff, build a thing to do this type) he gave my group a B because although we followed the directions, and succeeded in getting closer to the goal than anyone else, he felt we were jackasses about it.

Do they still have teachers like that?

Oh yeah, but congratulate the child. I have trouble explaining to my son at times why good enough isn't enough.

LongIslandBoy
08-10-2010, 09:28 AM
ACB, it's gotta be encouraging that a young student will go the extra step on his own, unbidden. Best wishes to you and yours. It sounds like you got a "good 'un" on your hands!Y>:D

Scott Rosen
08-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Congrats!

I had a college professor who never gave "A"s. If you handed in a stellar piece of work, you'd get an A minus.

I was a bit competitive when I was younger. So I kept trying until one day I got a paper back with the grade "A No Minus!"

There are still great teachers out there.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
08-10-2010, 11:38 AM
My physics teacher said.

God gets 100%.
I set the test - and am not perfect - I might get 90%.
You lot are on marks out of eighty.

Phillip Allen
08-10-2010, 11:40 AM
answering the assigned questions and getting them all right is 100%
asking additional questions of your own and answering them right doesn't add to the 100% at all...

downthecreek
08-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Apprentice Master of the Universe.

Apprentice? Sounds as if he's already a Master!

That is one bright lad. Respect! Y>Y>

JayInOz
08-11-2010, 01:59 AM
If every one of my ewes has a lamb, then that's a one hundred percent lambing. So far, almost half my ewes have had twins :d
A cousin of mine got one hundred percent in every maths test for a year, then he got a ninety nine percent result. He went over the paper many, many times to be absolutely sure that there were no mistakes. The answers were all correct, and correctly arrived at and the work was neat. The teacher still refused to give him one hundred percent, so he took it to the headmaster. Eventually he got his perfect score- and managed to make his first ever enemy on the way:) JayInOz

Dr.Spoke
08-11-2010, 02:49 AM
My sister came home from college, very proud of her end of year results. One course she came top of the class - navigation - with an 89% IIRC.
Grandfather ( Master Mariner) "So you failed then? 89% puts you on the rocks!"

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-11-2010, 04:33 AM
My high school science teacher, I had him for chemistry and physics, he gave hard enough tests that he tended to have to grade on a curve in order to pass a reasonable percentage of the class.
I (usually) knew all the answers on the tests. He refused to score higher than 99%.
On a project (one of those envelopes of stuff, build a thing to do this type) he gave my group a B because although we followed the directions, and succeeded in getting closer to the goal than anyone else, he felt we were jackasses about it.

Do they still have teachers like that?

Oh yeah, but congratulate the child. I have trouble explaining to my son at times why good enough isn't enough.

I had a French teacher like that. I once handed in a piece of work with one mistake in it and was given a detention; others had many mistakes and no detentions. Arthur Arthurson said I could have done better and was not trying. He was, in fact, right.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-11-2010, 04:38 AM
My sister came home from college, very proud of her end of year results. One course she came top of the class - navigation - with an 89% IIRC.
Grandfather ( Master Mariner) "So you failed then? 89% puts you on the rocks!"

My schoolfellow and later colleague David Clark's father was a Harwich Pilot. Dave came back from his Oral Examination for his British Master's Foreign Going Certificate and said to his father, who was in the then traditional position of the English paterfamilas, behind the Times, "Some of these questions are ridiculous! I was asked how I would regain control of a ship with steam steering if the steering engine failed!"

Dad's Times came down by half an inch, "Take relieving tackles to the after winches!" and the paper went back up the half inch...

Ed Harrow
08-11-2010, 05:15 AM

I know that guy! Take your score, subtract it from one hundred. Add that number to your score. You got 40% right? That's a 70 for you...

Then there was the over-achiever in college. We had to turn in some sort of chart for something - I don't remember. Most, if not all, were on 8.5 x 11 paper, except, of course, for the OA. He turned in a big poster, maybe 2x3 feet. Sometime later the material is handed back. "Where's my grade?" said the OA. "Oh, look carefully and you will find it." The prof must have used a loop so as to be able to write that small. ;)

AussieBarney
08-11-2010, 05:36 AM
This is why I personally despise most teachers. If a student hands in a paper which scores 100%, that is what the bloody teacher should award. There are strict paremeters as to the marking of academic papers and they are normally laid out by the head of each individual faculty.
They set the bar at a level which reflects what they think of themselves, as the people with the power. they should then disqualify themselves as teachers because if they demand perfection from their students they must demand it of themselves as teachers, and as we all know, none of them was any better than a burnt out old cynic who would have done better to be a bartender rather than use and ABUSE the dreams and efforts of children to bolster their own pathetic dreams of glory

JayInOz
08-11-2010, 05:46 AM
You tell 'em Barney :) Hey do you happen to know my old mates Pete and Glenda Rankin down there? He used to be a very good industrial chemist- now a most excellent alcoholic:) JayInOz

huisjen
08-11-2010, 06:44 AM
Well, there's always 100% wrong...

This is the Bilge. You'll find a few good examples here.

Dan

Phillip Allen
08-11-2010, 07:37 AM
This is why I personally despise most teachers. If a student hands in a paper which scores 100%, that is what the bloody teacher should award. There are strict paremeters as to the marking of academic papers and they are normally laid out by the head of each individual faculty.
They set the bar at a level which reflects what they think of themselves, as the people with the power. they should then disqualify themselves as teachers because if they demand perfection from their students they must demand it of themselves as teachers, and as we all know, none of them was any better than a burnt out old cynic who would have done better to be a bartender rather than use and ABUSE the dreams and efforts of children to bolster their own pathetic dreams of glory

NICE rant!