PDA

View Full Version : need a "clear" epoxy that has a pot life of about 10 minutes and can be cleared for

Bay Area Wood
08-07-2010, 01:33 PM
UV protection. I've tried various marine epoxies such as West Systems 105/207,System Three's Surfboard clear,and a few others. The problem is they are too thin,setup too slow, and require too many successive coats for my lures. I was using Devcon 2 Ton but am having problems finding clear hardener as of late. From what I can see I should be looking at adhesive epoxies? Most look to be amber though:confused:

Second question is there a good sprayable clear I can use over the top of an epoxy to provide UV protection? it must have good adhesion.

thank you!

wizbang 13
08-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Lures?

Bay Area Wood
08-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Lures?

fishing lures for toothy critters ;)

bluedog225
08-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Set up too slow seems odd. Most get tacky and are then able to be topcoated pretty quickly. Esp with a fast hardener and 90+ temp (lightbulb in a box if you are someplace cold).

Bay Area Wood
08-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Who makes a clear fast hardener? sorry I don't have a light box to work within. Ideally I want to be able to do a 1 coat application to cut production times down. I will already be spraying 3 coats of UV protection on top.

Thorne
08-07-2010, 03:38 PM
What sort of UV protection? I'll guess that even though you may use a fast cure epoxy, the overall final cure time will still be too long. There is a difference between when the surface hardens, and when the epoxy can be painted or coated with other materials without outgassing through and causing 'fisheyes'. If just used for waterproofing, would one of the plastic coatings work as well?

Bay Area Wood
08-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Automotive clear.

I've been using Devcon 2 Ton for it's high build fast kick application. The pot life is around 7-8 minutes. I'd like something to replace it.

John W Smith
08-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Have you tried Klass Kote?

Back in the day when I made my own lures, I had a heck of a time using the "recommended" finishes/paints 'cause the fish'd just grind the finish off after a few trips. What I went to was Hobbypoxy (made for finishing radio-controlled aircraft) which held up like a dream. Sadly they don't make it anymore, but there's this stuff which is supposed to be better than Hobbypoxy. Not sure if it'd have the build characteristics you're looking for, but worth considering IMO.

Link to site: http://klasskote.com/