PDA

View Full Version : First day without the evil weeds!

knottyBuoyz
08-05-2010, 06:28 AM
This is going to be tough. I quit in 1985 after smoking for about 10 years. Did it cold turkey back then and it lasted over 10 years until I got divorced and had to start dealing with those stresses. So here I am again giving it another shot after 15 yrs or so of being hooked on the weeds. Lets see how it goes. Standby....

McMike
08-05-2010, 06:31 AM
Been there. I'm pulling for you. Be strong and good luck!

bluedog225
08-05-2010, 06:57 AM
I was talking to the whistle blower for the tobacco companies the other day back from the nicotine is not addictive congressional testimony days. He gave a lecture about how nicotine changes the dopamine receptors in the brain....sort of muffles their ability to intake dopamine....so you have to have nicotine to feel "normal." Happens in about 30 days....takes over a year to change back to their original state.....makes it a tough habit to quit....it can be done but it is a long haul....good luck.

bob winter
08-05-2010, 07:02 AM
I quit for about 15 years. Wasn't all that hard to do but I kind of fell off the wagon and have been puffing on the pipe the last few years. Suppose I should quit again since the doctors keep yapping at me about it. Anyway, good luck.

pingree8
08-05-2010, 07:06 AM
I quit, on Valentine's Day, 1987. I picked that day about a month beforehand, and on that day I bought a pack of Marlboros, got in my car, and drove down to keep an appointment with a hypnotist. Smoked a couple on the way, went in and spent an hour with the hypnotist, came out and threw away the rest of the pack. Even though I always enjoyed smoking, I have never smoked since. What the hypnotist actually did was give me some better ideas about how to think of my "friend", the cigarette, and that was a big leg up on the task. The rest was about seeing the urge for a smoke as a 30-second event, during which I could do something else until I forgot about it.

It got easier, geometrically, after the 4th NBD. Good luck!

JTA
08-05-2010, 07:10 AM
Good luck. You can do it. I quit 1 OCT 2009. Almost a year. You can make it.

J

McMike
08-05-2010, 07:22 AM
It'll be four years this September for me.

Pugwash
08-05-2010, 07:22 AM
Good luck.

I'm going to join you soon. I have a couple of friends that recently had great success with the patch, which has kind of inspired me.

elf
08-05-2010, 07:42 AM
I quit 42 years ago. I got too busy to remember to smoke.

Best way.

Smoker's breath is disgusting. Clothing laden with stale smoke is disgusting. Greasy smoke stains on furniture, walls, books - all disgusting. Ciggy butts in piles in parking lots, on the beach, around the doorways of workplaces - disgusting and disrespectful of the rest of the populace.

Get busy, and recognize how yuck-o the habit is. Do you really want to practice such a yuck-o habit or are you better than that?

Pugwash
08-05-2010, 07:51 AM
Well Rick, let that be a lesson to you.

Don't turn into one of those preachy, finger wagging, holier than thou, judgemental EX-smokers.

Mrleft8
08-05-2010, 08:20 AM
Good luck! I used those awful pills that make you sick.... I quit them about halfway through the program, and still had no problem staying off the tubes. Carter still smokes like a chimney, and it has no attraction for me. Quite the opposite it repulses me.

OconeePirate
08-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Best of luck. I quit cocaine cold turkey, haven't had the same will power for cigarettes. I'm planning on going on the patch as soon as I can get my wife on board. She isn't quite committed to quitting yet and last time I tried the thing that ruined me (or at least my lousy excuse) is that she kept smoking so I couldn't separate myself effectively.

I mean hell, the first time we met I threatened to throw her out of the bar, then hit her up for a cigarette, so I knew she smoked from the get go, lol.

Pugwash
08-05-2010, 08:50 AM
I'm planning on going on the patch as soon as I can get my wife on board.

One of my friends that used the patch worked in a bar so was around smokers all day (you can still smoke in bars in SC) and she claimed to have no problems. That's what impressed me, given that she used to drink with her customers as well.

knottyBuoyz
08-05-2010, 08:51 AM
Don't turn into one of those preachy, finger wagging, holier than thou, judgemental EX-smokers.
No fear of that Pug. Didn't do it before and won't do it now. I'm a totally non-judgmental type of person.

Thnx for the kind words of encouragement folks. I think OP has it nailed. There's gotta be the "switch" that goes off in your brain before you're ready to quit. You can force it or you can wait for it to go off by itself. I can't wait any longer. Part of is is the cost. A large pack of 25's goes for almost $10 here now. Then there's the health affects. I find myself out of wind sometimes so that's a pretty good indicator something's seriously wrong. The wife has Asthma & COPD so there's another good reason to quit. I said I'd quit when I finally started to build my boat but that's still a little ways off. We'll have the material to build the bow shed on Saturday so might as well get this underway now.

I tried the pills once. They seemed to have an adverse affect and made smoking worse. Supposedly quitting for 10 years or more there was a very low probability that I'd go back to smoking but I did. Maybe I'm a freak of nature, yeah that's it!

Mid morning now. Usually the guys go out for a smoke & coffee. I went but boy was it tough to just stand there and inhale the second hand smoke! I'll miss the social interaction if I have to give up those little routines.

Standby.....

SamSam
08-05-2010, 08:56 AM
The rest was about seeing the urge for a smoke as a 30-second event, during which I could do something else until I forgot about it.

That's it there. Peak urges every 20-30 minutes that last a few seconds. Get past the peaks and the next get farther and farther apart until it's hours, then days, then weeks etc. Eventually all urges are gone.

BETTY-B
08-05-2010, 12:32 PM
It's been around five years for me. The thing I finally got through my thick tar soaked brain was, no matter what, I don't need a cigarette. I never stopped telling myself that. And very rarely I tell myself that still today. Actually, I cant even remember when the last time was that I even had craving. I win, they lose.

A couple weeks ago I was at Lew's house looking at some pics of his ongoing Rita haulout. A smoker friend was with us. He asked me if I had started smoking! I felt like the kid getting caught behind the shed! No! No! It's him!

htom
08-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Best wishes. It's one of the harder things I've managed to do.

paladin
08-05-2010, 05:46 PM
Smoke free since the 28th of March 1940, about 8:00 p.m.

StevenBauer
08-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Mary and I quit together two months after we got married. Our last smokes were December 31st, 1988. I can't believe I ever started. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Steven

knottyBuoyz
08-06-2010, 06:41 AM
Update: Day 2. I slipped a couple of times yesterday. Starting over again today. This isn't going to be easy. That is all.

Standby.

Le Bateau Ivre
08-06-2010, 06:49 AM
Stop smoking is the easiest thing in the world ... I have already stopped 600 times :-)))
Roberto.

Pugwash
08-06-2010, 07:00 AM
Stop smoking is the easiest thing in the world ... I have already stopped 600 times :-)))
Roberto.

Yeah, I have a huge amount of willpower, its won'tpower that I lack.

Le Bateau Ivre
08-06-2010, 07:11 AM
Many people have stopped this
http://allencarr.com/central/

McMike
08-06-2010, 08:15 AM
Knotty,

How are you doing?

knottyBuoyz
08-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Knotty,

How are you doing?
So far so good today McM. Just about to head out with the guys for coffee. That'll be a good test.

I read this in someone's signature this morning. Seems appropriate!

"Yeah, I have a huge amount of willpower, its won't power that I lack."