PDA

View Full Version : Warrant Officer

cs
08-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Once again I'm thinking about the Warrant Officer program. I'm thinking as far as career progression is concerned that the Warrant Officer side of the house may be the best way to go. As an E-7 once I complete the Warrant Officer basic course I would automaticly be a W-2 and skip right over W-1. Promotions from there are pretty much automatic. And besides a Warrant Officer is one step below God and nobody messes with a Warrant.

It is a thought and I'm thinking it again. Right now the only problem that I can forsee is the fact that I need min of 5 years experiance in my MOS and currently I have only 4 years (consectivly). Most of the rest of my time was as FA and I've been out of the MOS too long to get a Warrant in it. I do have another 2 years experiance in my current MOS but it was way back in 91 -93. We are looking into that to see if that works. That gives me a total of 6 years experiance.

Chad

paladin
08-04-2010, 09:59 AM
Go for it.....

John of Phoenix
08-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Oh yeah, go for it!!

Norman, the Warrant Officer rank falls between the senior enlisted ranks of Noncommissioned Officers (NCOs) and Commissioned Officers (jokingly known as RLOs - Real Live Officers).

Warrant Officers are specalists in various fields. Mine was avaition, where most Warrants serve, but there are many other fields, - Quartermaster (supply) is where Chad is looking.

Here's the propaganda page. http://usawocc.army.mil/whatiswo.htm

Warrant officers are competent and confident warriors, innovative integrators of emerging technologies, dynamic teachers, and developers of specialized teams of Soldiers. Their extensive professional experience and technical knowledge qualifies warrant officers as invaluable role models and mentors for junior officers and NCOs.”
And Chad's right, nobody messes with Warrants.

paladin
08-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Life expectancy of aviation related warrant officers in Vietnam was 3 months.

cs
08-04-2010, 10:53 AM
John pretty much hit the nail on the head. The warrant officer, like he says is between the enlisted corp and the commissioned officer corp. Warrants are officers that come up from the enlisted side of the house. You can basicaly think about it this way.

Enlisted is where the work gets done. This is where your worker bees and your direct supervisors are. I always say that your true leaders are your senior enlisted and that commssioned officers are your managers.

A commissioned officer is your higher level management, the ones that manage and plan what has to be done. Enlisted is where it happens.

Halfway between the two is the Warrant Officer. Like John says the warrant provides the technical knowledge and expertise which was aquired through X amount years as an enlisted solder. You will see Warrants as BN motor officers are targateing officers or in my case as a Property Book Officer and in John's case a rotary wing pilot.

A warrant is an officer and is rendered a salute from enlisted and there are very few that a warrant answers to. In most cases they can be that old grizzled vet that has many years in and thus he has learned to take nothing off of anyone.

Chad

cs
08-04-2010, 10:57 AM
And another cool thing about being a Warrant is that your title is "Chief".

Chad

Iceboy
08-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Shoulda joined the Navy. They would be calling you Chief now:)

cs
08-04-2010, 11:06 AM
But wouldn't that kinda be "petty"? :D

Chad

John of Phoenix
08-04-2010, 11:13 AM
And another cool thing about being a Warrant is that your title is "Chief".

Chad
I always liked the civilian ring of "Mister".

cs
08-04-2010, 11:23 AM
One of the things a Warrant officer brings to the table is years of experiance. As opposed to a LT who brings zero experiance (unless prior enlisted) but with education. The warrant is a good mix of experiance and education.

John the "Mister" is something I would have to get used to. I think I would prefer to be called Chief.

Chad

BrianW
08-04-2010, 11:26 AM
I always liked the civilian ring of "Mister".

Bingo! ;)

I like being called 'sir' by officers now. We're a very respectful group. I call just about everyone else 'sir' too.

There's quite a few Navy folks running around here, and it's handy having been in both the Army and the CG in order to address them correctly. Now the Air Force enlisted ranks are the only ones that still confuse me.

cs
08-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Norman, the "Chief of the Boat" is the senior enlisted on the boat. That is equivalant to a Command Sgt Major in the Army, but he/she would have the same respect or more so than just about anyone else on the boat.

Chad

cs
08-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Brian Air Force rank is not that hard once you get used to it. Look at the rockers below the Star. If you have someone with 3 stripes and no rockers that is an E4/SGT. If they have one rocker that is an E-5 Staff Sgt. Two Rockers is an E-6 Tech Sgt. From there you start looking up for the roof and you are getting into the Master Sgt and Senior Master Sgt. Anything less than 3 stripes you are safe just saying Airman.

Navy rank on the other hand always screws with me.

Chad

Iceboy
08-04-2010, 12:38 PM
You and Norm both. What's all this boat ****e? Most "boats" in the U.S. Navy go underwater. I'm sure Norman was talking about the chief petty officer lounge. A bad place to get caught in if you are afraid of chiefs. Chad, it's not too petty and besides you can be senior and then Master Chief. About the only thing missing is Super Chief.

htom
08-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Go for it, Chad.

Captain Intrepid
08-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Sounds like a great opportunity! I'd go for it if I were you.

bobbys
08-04-2010, 02:53 PM
I have confidence you would be a valuable asset wherever you go.

My neighbor who was like a Dad to me was the highest one could go without going to the school for Highest Sergeant in the Army. The School was a few months and he could only stay in for a few more months at the time plus he had Heart trouble, He said the School was in Texas.

He was the most decorated Soldier in the Guard here..

He wore his uniform with Pearl Harbor Medal and battle stars when he was in the Navy..

A few months before he passed i saw him in the yard reading the Army field Manual.

I asked him why he was reading it, He told me maybe they might call him up and he needed to be ready to go.

I did not think they would take a 86 year old man with 5 heart attacks but he thought so..

When my boys were small he would bring them to the PX buy them a little uniform and put his stripes and ribbons on for them and put them in the Tanks.

We sure Loved GENE!!!

cs
08-04-2010, 03:00 PM
I'm still waiting for a call back to see if I have enough experiance in my current MOS to apply for WOC. If so I may just head down that road.

Chad

nautiguy
08-04-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm a little confused as to why there are billets available for WOs in your MOS but no billets for E8 or E9. You would think that some of the current E8s or E9s would want the promotion.

Norm

purri
08-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Here in Oz was explained to me by a crusty old WO1 (army) that the difference upon promotion to officer upon application (CAPT with 5 yrs up) was that you became the **** of kings rather than king of the ****.

Mad Scientist
08-04-2010, 07:04 PM
As previously mentioned, GO FOR IT!!!

There's some form of 'Warrant Officer' in the military of every civilized nation (including the late-and-unlamented USSR), but not here in Canada. Up here, it's just another rank.

Sgt, then WO2, then WO1, then Chief WO (or, in our Navy, PO2, then PO1, then CPO2, then CPO1).

Several good friends would have made terrific Information Tech WO's, if they'd had the option. Instead, they put in their '20' (recently changed to 25 years) and retire. What a waste of expertise!

Tom

cs
08-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Becoming a warrant officer is not a standard promotion. It is a commission. It is a position that has to be applied for and accepted and than you have to go to WOC basic course. It would be like an enlisted soldier becoming a commissioned officer. So it is not like I'm competing against E8's and E9's for this. I would be going for a commission.

BTW I don't think that the Air Force has any warrants left. I could be wrong. It seems like when I went through basic in '86 they told us that at the time there was only one warrant in the Air Force.

Chad

Robbie 2
08-05-2010, 04:33 AM
Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

cs
08-05-2010, 07:06 AM
Yes they still have rotary wing Warrants. I believe that is 153A, although I'm far enough past the age restriction where as that is not an option.

Chad

John of Phoenix
08-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Through my career, Avaition Warrant Officer was typically a starting career track, ie guys would enlist specifically to go to flight school, though there were always a few "prior service" guys who were admitted to the program. In my flight class, there were initially 400 candidates (of which about 250 graduated) and there were only about 20 with prior enlisted service. I can only remember one who didn't graduate and that's because he was a thief. When I went back as an instructor pilot, that mix was pretty typical - the vast majority had joined the Army to become pilots and there were a few prior enlisted. The RLO classes were different. They consisted of commissioned officers of various branches mostly combat arms - armor, infantry and artillery, but there would also be medical service, chemical, signal, quartermaster, MP, you name it.

I was approached by my commanders at least a dozen times to take a comission directly to Captain. "Thanks for the compliment but not a chance. I love flying. I love teaching flying. If I take a comission I have to leave avaition. For what? Tanks? Cannons? Grunts? Not happening."

As to duties for Army Warrants, we pull everything that company grade officers do except paymaster - that has to be an RLO - but Officer of the Day, Officer of the Guard, everything else is on the menu.