PDA

View Full Version : Stonington Motorsailor

Stu Fyfe
06-20-2003, 10:53 AM
A few years ago I was at Mystic Seaport and saw a model of a Stonington Motorsailor. There was a small display and some info on this boat. I've had that design on my mind for quite some time. I've been looking at one that's up for sale and I turn to the Brotherhood of WoodenBoats for you advice, observations or any ifo you might have on this boat.

pjwalsh
06-20-2003, 11:32 AM
There was a good article on the evolution of the Stonington/Noank sloops to motorized vessels in WB some years ago. The boat that comes to mind for me is a Noank fishing boat called Star that was built by Jack Wilbur? I will look through the shelf tonight to see what issue and if I am remembering correctly. Is this the sort of vessel you are looking for infromation on?

Stu Fyfe
06-20-2003, 11:47 AM
The Stonington Motorsailor I was referring to is a 42ft, centercockpit, aft cabin, sloop rigged boat. I believe it was designed by Scheel and they seem to have been built in the 1950's by Stonington Boat in Stonington, CT.

Scott Rosen
06-20-2003, 12:03 PM
There's an old Stonington Motorsailer at Pilot's Point in Westbrook, Connecticut. It's a nice looking boat, but it doesn't look as if it would sail very well.

[ 06-21-2003, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: Scott Rosen ]

Carlsboats
06-20-2003, 08:55 PM
There are still some Stonington motorsailers around. One here on Block Island, owned by the head of the Harbors Committee. No, they don't sail fast, but they have a lot going for them --plain, good design, no varnish to speak of but nice looking, workmanlike boats that were a very good buy when new. Would think a good boat for trip down inland waterway and out to Bahamas for a live-aboard winter -- which is just what one of my friends does with his Stonington.

Ken Hall
06-26-2003, 03:42 PM
The Sea Scouts had one for sale in Fairport Harbor about a decade ago. I liked it, but gave it a pass. I think they've got a lot in their favor.