PDA

View Full Version : CQ Syed, CQ Syed...

Ed Harrow
08-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Hi Syed - I'm 99% certain our new neigbors are Pakistani - How can we welcome them? (besides ask them if they know Syed on the WBF, LOL)

The Bigfella
08-03-2010, 12:17 AM
You could say "hello"

purri
08-03-2010, 05:53 AM
rule #1 : don't hit on the wimmins.

Syed
08-03-2010, 06:29 AM
It might be interesting to know, what makes you think they are Pakistanis?

If they are a fresh 'consignment', greet them in local terms. Older versions might like some native flavour. ;)

And mind you, sir, Syed is least known back home. :mad:

Ed Harrow
08-03-2010, 12:28 PM
It might be interesting to know, what makes you think they are Pakistanis?

An excellent question. Firstly, I know what they are not - Anglo-Saxon, southern European, Irish, Turkish, Anzac, Mexican, Puerto Rican, Central or South American, African, Arab, or Asian of any extraction. There's a few others, but you get the drift.

Secondly, the gentleman (the only party we've actually met) has what is known here as a swarthy (sp?) complexion. Additionally there is a growing contingent of people from Pakistan and India here abouts, but the women we've seen (not met) all have head scarves. The husband introduced himself as 'Ahman' (sp?).

If they are a fresh 'consignment', greet them in local terms. Older versions might like some native flavour. ;)

I would say 'fresh', but I've had a history of putting my foot in my mouth with a 'fresh' Pakistani family and I'd rather not repeat the blunder. (I knocked on their back door to invite them to a neighborhood party, the women were not 'presentable' - from that I've deduced that the native New England tradition of 'friends, neighbors, and good news go to the back door; only bad news comes to the front door' is not appropriate.)

And mind you, sir, Syed is least known back home. :mad:

I don't believe that for a minute! ;)

Ed Harrow
08-03-2010, 12:31 PM
You could say "hello"

Ah, Mr Gatenby, I'm so glad to report that you didn't disappoint.

Not only did we do that, we left our names, phone numbers, email, and offered him assistance if and when needed.

The Bigfella
08-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Well done.

Syed
08-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Firstly, I know what they are not - Anglo-Saxon, southern European, Irish, Turkish, Anzac, Mexican, Puerto Rican, Central or South American, African, Arab, or Asian of any extraction. There's a few others, but you get the drift.

Secondly, the gentleman (the only party we've actually met) has what is known here as a swarthy (sp?) complexion. Additionally there is a growing contingent of people from Pakistan and India here abouts, but the women we've seen (not met) all have head scarves. The husband introduced himself as 'Ahman' (sp?).

1. Bangladesh
2. India
3. Pakistan
:)
(Sherlock Holmes II)

Ed Harrow
08-04-2010, 10:31 PM
It's time to choose door number three!!! I saw his car at a house known to be occupied by Pakistanis!

(re door 1 - no known Bangladeshis in the area - not to say there are none, of course - but considerable quantities of Pakistanis and Indians. re door 2 - I'm much more familiar with Indians - have been in a number of their houses and worked with their kids - I've not seen any Indian women wearing scarfs...)

B_B
08-04-2010, 10:37 PM
It's time to choose door number three!!! I saw his car at a house known to be occupied by Pakistanis!
Ah, Good!, guilt by association! ;)

Goodonya for making nice with yer neighbours :)

Honestly though, the first time you drop by someone's house pls use the front door! Even if they're native New Englanders - they get to decide if it's good news or bad that you dropped by, not you ;)

Syed
08-05-2010, 12:35 AM

(re door 1 - no known Bangladeshis in the area - not to say there are none, of course - but considerable quantities of Pakistanis and Indians. re door 2 - I'm much more familiar with Indians - have been in a number of their houses and worked with their kids - I've not seen any Indian women wearing scarfs...)

There are Indian Muslims who may choose to wear a head scarf.
The name Ahman lead me to place Pakistan at # 3, I have never heard this name, but Ahmad is very common.
Y>

Ed Harrow
08-05-2010, 12:12 PM
There are Indian Muslims who may choose to wear a head scarf.

OK, I'll buy that.

The name Ahman lead me to place Pakistan at # 3, I have never heard this name, but Ahmad is very common.
Y>

Ahhhh, well that would probably be because of my phonetic spelling of what I heard, or, in this case, didn't hear. ;) So, let's say it's 'Ahmad' ;)

Ed Harrow
08-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Ah, Good!, guilt by association! ;)

You betcha! ;)

Goodonya for making nice with yer neighbours :)

We try, even here.

Honestly though, the first time you drop by someone's house pls use the front door! Even if they're native New Englanders - they get to decide if it's good news or bad that you dropped by, not you ;)

LOL, excellent observation, but this wasn't the first time... Maybe I should have guessed we are 'bad news' when we didn't get a response to the card I left when Benazir Bhutto was assassinated (tho the Missus expressed much appreciation that I had done so when I dropped by to extend the invite). She also said they couldn't come to the 'party' but would love to come the next day, if possible. Her husband called later and put the kabosh on that...