X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Jung
    • Jan 2004

Oops! Brazil 'steps in it'

And things were going so well....

Iran’s conservative establishment appears to have reacted coldly to an entreaty by Brazil’s president to allow an Iranian woman convicted of adultery to take asylum in Brazil rather than face execution by stoning at home. The reaction to the plea over the weekend by President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva appeared to introduce a strain into what had been an increasingly cordial relationship between Iran and Brazil. It also reinforced what critics of Iran view as a barbaric form of justice that is especially repressive toward women.
    While no Iranian government officials commented on the Brazilian president’s plea, Jahan News, an ultraconservative news service in Iran that is regarded as credibly reflecting the government’s thinking, said Sunday that it was a “clear interference in Iran’s domestic affairs.”
    Jahan also said that the Brazilian offer was made “under the influence of foreign media” and that the defendant, Sakineh Ashtiani, 43, might not be stoned to death because Iran’s judiciary was reviewing the lower court’s sentence. She could be hanged instead.
    Ms. Ashtiani, 43, was convicted of an “illicit relationship” with two men. She denied the accusations during her trial.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/03/wo...%2Findex.jsonp

Perhaps some of our Brazilian friends can shed some light on this. I'm curious ... what's the attraction between Iran and Brazil, anyway?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....
  • George Jung
    • Jan 2004

Re: Oops! Brazil 'steps in it'

Undoubtedly, humanitarian intent, but trading on his perceived influence based on a closer relationship (see 'enriched uranium').

Didn't go over so well. The uranium treaty seemingly was controversial, with some calling Brazil naive in their dealings with Iran.

I don't know much of Brazils government, other than gleanings from news stories. Curious if gdot or Gerald could illuminate.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Comment

• John of Phoenix
      • Jun 2001

I admire anyone who even attempts to deal with Iran, especailly the current "leadership". About as irrational and unpredictable as can be found.

Comment

• paladin
        Senior Senior Member
        • Dec 2000

The common connection is oil, oil field equipment, and qualified workers in the field.
        Wakan Tanka Kici Un
        ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
        Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
        Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
        "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Comment

• Phillip Allen
          • May 2002

What will happen to the two men? Stoning or de-stoning?
          The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
          Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Comment

• paladin
            Senior Senior Member
            • Dec 2000

The men, who may have never touched the woman but were pi$$ed that she wouldn't have sex with them, will never be punished........They definitely would not like me sitting in on the trial......I couldn't carry that much ammo.
            Wakan Tanka Kici Un
            ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
            Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
            Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
            "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Comment

• sdowney717
              old egg owner
              • Jan 2004

I got a friend who teaches English in Afghanistan (missionary type fellow)
              He tells me a story, an old car pulls up.
              Man driver gets out, 3 kids in front seat with him.
              Goats get out several of them from the back seat.
              Man driver husband goes to rear of car opens trunk,
              Wife gets out of trunk.

Unreal. He told me women are considered to be of less value than the animals or the kids.

Comment

• Gerald
                • Jun 2003

We saw it on the news but there are not many people talking about it here. My take on it is that Lula is clueless and offered a hand to a person because he thought stoning sounded like a real bummer. Might be more to it than that but if there is it sure wasn´t Lula that thought up the plan.

Comment

• Gerald
                  • Jun 2003

On the news today:
                  Iran respectfully turned down Lula and said that Mr. Lula didn´t understand their customs. Lula replied that the offer was still open and we would take her here in Brasil. Iran further stated that Lula knew nothing about the case. However, Iran has changed her sentence from stoning to hanging. Lula stated that "neither way was a comfortable way of being killed."
                  Well, President Lula............ no ****!

Comment

• Mad Scientist
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by paladin
                    ...They definitely would not like me sitting in on the trial......I couldn't carry that much ammo.
                    If you can help me with the paperwork to get us there, I'd be honoured if you'd let me carry the ammo!

Tom

Comment

• Andrew Craig-Bennett
                      Who?
                      • Aug 1999

Lula was responding to a campaign. Not silly, I think.

Sign here, please, if you haven't already.

Two men could save Sakineh Ashtiani from execution -- Iran's allies President Lula of Brazil and Prime Minister Erdoğan of Turkey. I've just donated to run urgent ads in both countries calling on them to urgently push Iran for clemency and justice.
                      IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Comment

• Andrew Craig-Bennett
                        Who?
                        • Aug 1999

I think President Lula did the right thing, and I hope Prime Minister Erdogan does too. He, if anyone, should have influence.

Chuck is entirely correct about the source of Brazil's influence in Iran.
                        IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Comment

Working...