PDA

View Full Version : First try - an informal poll

Ember
08-01-2010, 12:16 PM
So a few weeks ago I posted some questions about Dory building and plans. I was both over-joyed and over-whelmed by the response, and followed quickly the most common advice - read John Gardner's Dory Book.

Having done so now, as well as re-reading the lay-down and construction chapters a few times over I have come to realize the full scope of the project and expense before I undertake it. This is both a great relief and daunting revelation.

Which leads me to post these simple questions (that will no doubt lead to complex answers), just to get an idea of the path others took to realizing their dream of sailing a back-yard wooden boat of their own creation.

What was the first boat you built?

Looking back what boat do you think you should have built first?

What step or steps as a rookie build did you find the hardest?

What advice do you wish you had gotten before you started your first build (aside from go buy a fiberglass boat;)?

How many boats did you build before you had something you were truly proud to say I did this myself?

Any elaboration or anecdotes you would like to add would be great. My feeling after much research is that maybe before I drop 4 or 5 grand trying to build a boat I will cherish forever, I should try to see if I can get something done that floats on a budget I can afford to fail with.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Ember.

Antti Alfthan
08-01-2010, 12:41 PM
I rigged a gunter, two gunters, very long ago. Built an Optimist (to replace one I ruined) ... long ago.

SeaB
08-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Sam Rabl's "Uncle Gabes skiff" flat bottom, crossplanked, 14' skiff, it was a good first choice, rabbetting the stem in well dried white oak, too bad it wasn't set up like a dory stem would have been so much quicker, was advised to bulid something simple and did. This first boat came out very well, I was very happy.

I had a few years at woodworking before the first boat, quirky stuff like bee equipment, spinning wheels, looms, piano benches, that sort of stuff. As well a year or two of being a carpenter's helper on several new houses.

botebum
08-01-2010, 01:00 PM
What was the first boat you built?A bashed together pram of my own design

Looking back what boat do you think you should have built first?
A bashed together pram of my own design
What step or steps as a rookie build did you find the hardest?Getting my Mom to understand that epoxy doesn't give a flying crap about whose turn it is to do the dishes.

What advice do you wish you had gotten before you started your first build (aside from go buy a fiberglass boat;)?Tell your Dad to get the boat he'll never repair out of the garage so you don't have to wait for the right weather to work.

How many boats did you build before you had something you were truly proud to say I did this myself?I was damn proud of the first one and you will be too.

Any elaboration or anecdotes you would like to add would be great. My feeling after much research is that maybe before I drop 4 or 5 grand trying to build a boat I will cherish forever, I should try to see if I can get something done that floats on a budget I can afford to fail with.Don't start out by building a boat for $4-$5K. The boat I just described was built when I was 13 years old for money I made delivering newspapers. Start small, work up.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Doug