PDA

View Full Version : Wood Restoration

svascension
07-31-2010, 03:15 PM
Working on 1947 Lightning sailboat. Have already replaced entire bottom and ribs with cedar planks and Mahogany ribs. Problem is the trim which is Phillippine Mahogany. Most of it is solid and fine BUT the uneven appearance of weathered (where varnish is gone) and not so weathered (some remaining varnish now stripped) wood makes for varying shades of gray to red. Do I start afresh with new wood or sand till I can get to a uniform color or other better ideas ????? I'd like to reuse the original trim if possible. Thanks for any help.

Lew Barrett
07-31-2010, 07:37 PM
Look at the many threads labeled "bleaching wood." A great deal of the answer to your question relies on several issues, all of which are personal to you:
1. How tolerant are you of minor variations in color?
2. IF not too tolerant are you willing to strip and stain the bulk of your trim.

If you can handle a bit of variation, you can locally bleach and blend the trim.

But a Lightening is not a very big boat in the grand scheme of things. It might pay to strip your trim, bleach and then either stain and varnish or skip the stain and just varnish. More often than not, luan is stained to even out the color.

Don't start sanding to "even everything." Wait for a few posts to explain why that may not be your best course of action.

You know some photos would help!