PDA

View Full Version : Beagles

cathouse willy
07-30-2010, 09:51 PM
I've had a foster Beagle for 8 months now. Last march he was diagnosed with glandular cancer, fastforward to this morning when due to the raveges of his cancer I took him for his last visit to the vet.Sad sad day, I've been misty eyed and snuffly all day. I just needed to share.....
Thanks
Cathouse Willy

Black-Jack
07-30-2010, 10:11 PM
I am sorry for your loss.

I grew up on beagles - great little companion dogs if you give them room to roam.

knottyBuoyz
07-31-2010, 05:14 AM
Sorry for your loss Willy. I know how the lil' buggers get under your skin and into your heart.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff166/KnottyBuoyz/dudly.jpg

Bill R
07-31-2010, 05:53 AM
So sorry.

Beagles have a soft place in my heart. I'm looking at the World's Dumbest Beagle snoring away on my wife's chair. The thought of losing her is devastating.

Peerie Maa
07-31-2010, 06:08 AM
Sorry for your loss Willy, even 8 months is long enough for some dogs to get under your skin.

So sorry.

Beagles have a soft place in my heart. I'm looking at the World's Dumbest Beagle snoring away on my wife's chair. The thought of losing her is devastating.

Would that be the dog or the wife?

paladin
07-31-2010, 07:01 AM
I'm truly sorry for your loss....I've lost 3 Cockers and they were all babies right to the end.

skuthorp
07-31-2010, 07:07 AM
I feel for you in the loss of your dog, it's one of the most wrenching things I know, every time. We are looking to adopt a dog from a shelter at present. It's 3 years since our last died aged 17. We are considering a grey Lurcher or a Schnoodle at present. How could we take one and not the other?

cathouse willy
07-31-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks all for your kind words.It is indeed a very empty feeling to take a good friend to the vet and come home without him. But life goes on and after a short rest and some time spent with my own beagle I'm going to ask for another foster dog.
Bill

cathouse willy
11-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Bump.... Nov 12 at 10pm Freckles the new foster beagle arrived after a ten hour flight from Nfld. He is one TIMID little dog, so far today he's been scared by the ceiling fan, the radio, the woodstove noise, the camera and me.He's obviously had some bad times at the hand of a man.I have no pics yet as pointing the camera at him makes him scoot.He eats his meals in dashes and gulps. I want to gain his trust and help him feel at home here, any tips?

Breakaway
11-13-2010, 09:19 PM
We adopted a beagle 7 or 8 months ago. About five years old, obviously mistreated by prior owners. He was malnourished, skittish and didn't know whether to dominate or supplicate. Peed and crapped the house, it seemed for spite. Didnt know a single command and we didn't even know his name. My kids named him Bart, and with patience (lots), love (lots), and more patience, he's turned out to be a great pet. But it took all of 6 months before he really became comfortable in his new pack.

Kevin

Shang
11-13-2010, 09:37 PM
Yes, Willy,
We share your pain. We know how it hurts.
One of the aspects of being a pet owner is the knowledge that we usually outlive the pets we love.
and it is our obligation is to care for them even when it hurts us to do so.

cathouse willy
11-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Shang perhaps you missed the purpose of the Bump. Nothing to do with the dog thats gone All to do with a new foster dog. a timid one at that.

cathouse willy
11-15-2010, 11:22 PM
An update on the foster beagle. He is a small Timid little guy thats's had some bad treatment. First few days were like living with a ghost. You tiptoe around the house trying to not startle him but he runs away anyhow.He is warming to my beagle and to me slowly. It's heartwarming to see his progress a bit every day

Bobby of Tulsa
11-16-2010, 09:09 AM
Hound shyness is something most people don't know about. I have had a lot of hounds, I have never hit or mistreated my dogs. Some of them were so scared of everything. It will take a lot of love for this guy. Good luck. Google is your friend.

paladin
11-16-2010, 05:24 PM
I usually take my pups everywhere with me (except to the clinic) from the time I get them. They sit in the front seat, ride in my coat pocket, after a while allowed to run without a leash at the boat yard. Always speak softly, never strike a pup. Talk to them, scratch their ears and rub their tummies...

Captain Blight
11-16-2010, 05:31 PM
All dogs are good dogs. All dogs go to heaven.

Bobby of Tulsa
11-16-2010, 05:33 PM
All dogs are good dogs. All dogs go to heaven.

You got that right, Some just need more lovin. :d

brad9798
11-16-2010, 05:56 PM
Sorry, cathouse ... those damned, stupid dogs move right in as part of the family, don't they? :(

Raka025
11-16-2010, 06:44 PM
We had a stray beagle in the yard last Thanksgiving and I couldn't catch him. He was making my pack bark. I called the neighbor to see if he was missing one so he came over with a plate full of Turkey. He took him home and called him Buddy. Buddy still hunts everyday or so behind the office. It is kind of funny to see the rabbit circle around him watching him. I kind of wonder who is hunting who? He is a little old and slow but doesn't give up the chase. Goes home each night and sleeps in the chair by the wood stove.

Phillip Allen
11-16-2010, 06:48 PM
I had to stop reading...you guys are gonna have me crying next...

AussieBarney
11-16-2010, 07:03 PM
They use beagles as drug sniffing dogs here in NSW, I got pinched by one who decided that I had smoked some yarndi that day, mind you I have not touched the stuff for twenty years, but, little beagle decided I smelt nice and came and sat beside me. I looked down and saw the most gorgeous dog I seen for a while. I reached down to pat him/her on the head and I get " Dont touch the dog, I repeat, Dont touch the dog!! This is coming from a young women who was 45 kilos ringing wet. Not what you would call intimidating at all. So I keep petting the dog, who, by the way was lapping up the attention.
I cant help jerking their chains especially when they bark commands at me!! So I get charged with: Use of a pohibited substance and (Would you bloody believe it?) Assaulting a police officer!!! Evidently they are considered to be police officers by the ploice service. Luckily the court wantedc to know the dogs police number and the date on which the dog had sworn its warrant.
The substance charge got throiwn out because the dog was not proof enough and it was not enough to get a blood test, which would have been the ultimate proof. At no time did I hurt the hound or offer any violence or dominate behaviour. Beatuiful dogs but not as smart as a human and they dont have the same legal standing mainly because you cant cross examine them and the handler cannot swear to the dogs responses. That was my defence.

Phillip Allen
11-16-2010, 07:25 PM
I hope yo7u were compensated for your time and embarrassment...

cathouse willy
11-16-2010, 08:00 PM
I've come to the conclusion that dogs are good for you, Beagles are extra good for me.I am determined to make friends with this dog and I am slowly winning. He and my Beagle spent the day chasing and wrestling at full tilt, a big step. He'll take treats from my hand and timidly greets me on return from an errand, another big step. So far so good

Bobby of Tulsa
11-16-2010, 08:16 PM
I've come to the conclusion that dogs are good for you, Beagles are extra good for me.I am determined to make friends with this dog and I am slowly winning. He and my Beagle spent the day chasing and wrestling at full tilt, a big step. He'll take treats from my hand and timidly greets me on return from an errand, another big step. So far so good

You must be a good person. :d

cathouse willy
11-16-2010, 08:26 PM
As seen on a bumper sticker...Please help me be the kind of guy my dog thinks I am

ahp
11-16-2010, 09:18 PM
There is statistical evidence that people who have dogs live longer. I must confess that I was more upset when my last beagle died than when my mother died.

AussieBarney
11-17-2010, 03:07 PM
No. I did not get compo at all. What I was trying to say was the beagle thought I was fun people and I thought he was a fun dog They are beautiful animals

Phillip Allen
11-17-2010, 05:02 PM
No. I did not get compo at all. What I was trying to say was the beagle thought I was fun people and I thought he was a fun dog They are beautiful animals

I knew that...I guess I was making a point that I didn't need to make

Robbie 2
11-18-2010, 12:45 AM
They use beagles as drug sniffing dogs here in NSW, I got pinched by one who decided that I had smoked some yarndi that day, mind you I have not touched the stuff for twenty years, but, little beagle decided I smelt nice and came and sat beside me. I looked down and saw the most gorgeous dog I seen for a while. I reached down to pat him/her on the head and I get " Dont touch the dog, I repeat, Dont touch the dog!! This is coming from a young women who was 45 kilos ringing wet. Not what you would call intimidating at all. So I keep petting the dog, who, by the way was lapping up the attention.
I cant help jerking their chains especially when they bark commands at me!! So I get charged with: Use of a pohibited substance and (Would you bloody believe it?) Assaulting a police officer!!! Evidently they are considered to be police officers by the ploice service. Luckily the court wantedc to know the dogs police number and the date on which the dog had sworn its warrant.
The substance charge got throiwn out because the dog was not proof enough and it was not enough to get a blood test, which would have been the ultimate proof. At no time did I hurt the hound or offer any violence or dominate behaviour. Beatuiful dogs but not as smart as a human and they dont have the same legal standing mainly because you cant cross examine them and the handler cannot swear to the dogs responses. That was my defence.

My favourite Beagle story is when I came back to NZ from Aussie in 1997 when my son Benjie was only 2. He had been given an Air NZ kids bag on the flight to Aussie and the day before our flight home we had gone for a walk in a Park........putting some Pork sandwiches in the bag for him. Anyway we came through Auckland International Airport and were asked to put our bags down so the Beagle could walk past them. He nearly screwed his head off as he passed Benjie's bag as he climbed all over it.............thrust his head in and THEN...........threw up the STICKIEST.....FOULEST SMELLING gush of DOG VOMIT YOU COULD EVER IMAGINE..:o
Benjie was upset as you can guess..........crying out for his bag as it was taken away to be examined.
It was eventually replaced with a new one only after explanations were made etc.