PDA

View Full Version : Should Nick, aka 'Moby Nick'

Ed Harrow
07-29-2010, 07:29 PM
be banned?

Captain Blight
07-29-2010, 07:48 PM
God, no. Why would you ever start a thread like this?

Ed Harrow
07-29-2010, 08:04 PM
Because, and I can't quote it because the thread is 'disappeared' of a statement he made with respect to Scot. Extreme disrespect. Perhaps he'll repeat it here.

James McMullen
07-29-2010, 08:04 PM
Nobody should be banned. Ever. Censorship sucks. Let people hang themselves from their own rope if they must, but don't shut anyone up.

Gerarddm
07-29-2010, 08:15 PM
What James said. If they want to wave their fool flag high for all to see, well, there they are.

You could just shun him, y'know. That works for some sects.

SMARTINSEN
07-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Nobody should be banned. Ever. Censorship sucks. Let people hang themselves from their own rope if they must, but don't shut anyone up.

I disagree.

There are some people who are so disruptive that they need to be disciplined because they are a detriment to the group as a whole. There are only just a few very basic rules that we all have to go by.

Banning is like being in jail. Sometimes you get a light sentence, just a slap on the wrist. Sometimes you get the death penal

ETA: I know nothing of the matter presently at hand, but am speaking generally.

Hwyl
07-29-2010, 09:13 PM
If I didn't know and like you so much Ed, I'd call this an attack thread.

I'm amazed that the serial banned keep coming back. If I were ever banned, I'd think twice about showing my face around ere.

For some, Scot baiting seems to be a hobby.

paladin
07-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Damn, I missed it again.....

Nicholas Scheuer
07-29-2010, 09:33 PM
I equated Scot with Bill Gates. Somehow he took it as an insult.

Moby Nick

paladin
07-29-2010, 09:37 PM
I don't see the connection...Scot is better looking.....

Ed Harrow
07-29-2010, 09:56 PM
I equated Scot with Bill Gates. Somehow he took it as an insult.

Moby Nick

Oh, come on, Nick, tell us what you really said. If all you said was what you just said you said I'd have paid it not a lick...

Nicholas Scheuer
07-30-2010, 07:25 AM
And you know very well what the issue is, Ed. I never had any trouble with private messages using the old WB website software. Now it doesn't work for me. Scot is responsible, In my book that puts him right in the same geek sack as Bill Gates, someone lots of people despise due to their problems with Windows (which by the way is having lots of problems here in dealing with the new WB format).

Moby Nick

Duncan Gibbs
07-30-2010, 08:19 AM
Nick, I believe you're making Scot a strawman for elements of the software that he has no control over. If you run a Windows machine with '95 on it, or a Mac with OS9 do you think you'd get any kind of support for that software from Microsoft or Apple? No! I didn't think so! Same deal with V-Bulletin: I dare say WB had no choice in the matter, either upgrade and get support or don't and get none.

I have some problems with the new format, but I'm not whinging about it. I e-mailed Scot my concerns and he did what he could to fix the problems. I dare say he's still working on a good many number of problems that others have told him about. I wouldn't expect any upgrade to go smoothly at all. But I'm not going to whine at him publicly because the only thing that would do would make me look daft.

I suggest you try a different tack.

Uncle Duke
07-30-2010, 09:52 AM
I never had any trouble with private messages using the old WB website software. Now it doesn't work for me. Scot is responsible,
I just sent you 2 PMs, using different methods, with no problem. Can you explain what "doesn't work for me" means? Maybe there is something which can be done to help you out...

Kaa
07-30-2010, 09:58 AM
Now it doesn't work for me. Scot is responsible, In my book that puts him right in the same geek sack as Bill Gates, someone lots of people despise due to their problems with Windows (which by the way is having lots of problems here in dealing with the new WB format).

An interesting approach.

So, do you think Scot owes you a duty to fix the software to your liking? And you are going to "despise" him if the software doesn't get changed to accommodate you?

Kaa

Cuyahoga Chuck
07-30-2010, 10:01 AM
This deserves my standard response.
"We are guests here. Don't piss on the rug."
Stifle that loose talk about "censorship. This is WoBo's site. They can EDIT it any way they wish.

Uncle Duke
07-30-2010, 10:04 AM
Nicholas - what version of Windows are you running, what browser / version, and what anti-virus software?

Ed Harrow
07-30-2010, 11:11 AM
And you know very well what the issue is, Ed. I never had any trouble with private messages using the old WB website software. Now it doesn't work for me. Scot is responsible, In my book that puts him right in the same geek sack as Bill Gates, someone lots of people despise due to their problems with Windows (which by the way is having lots of problems here in dealing with the new WB format).

Moby Nick

Well, why are you so reticent to repeat what you called Scot? Why not let those who missed it see a repeat - they'll be able to make a better judgement.

Nicholas Scheuer
07-30-2010, 05:59 PM
Who's "whinning"? I'm expressing an OPINION. The Bilge is RIFE with OPINIONS. My opinion of people who f--k around with my computer is LOW; and I don't care how rich theyr are, or whetherkthey hang out with wooden boats in Brooklin, Maine.

Moby Nick

Garret
07-30-2010, 06:11 PM
Who's "whinning"? I'm expressing an OPINION. The Bilge is RIFE with OPINIONS. My opinion of people who f--k around with my computer is LOW; and I don't care how rich theyr are, or whetherkthey hang out with wooden boats in Brooklin, Maine.

Moby Nick

I'm confused, but then I'm just a geek. PM's work for a lot of people, but they don't for you. Got that. So - this is something Scot did? No chance it could be a configuration issue on your computer? You're 100% sure that it's Scot's doing? I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just wondering how you know it's Scot.

Inquiring minds & all that.....

Duncan Gibbs
07-30-2010, 07:00 PM
Who's "whinning"? I'm expressing an OPINION.

No! You're whining!

The Bilge is RIFE with OPINIONS. My opinion of people who f--k around with my computer is LOW;

And Scot did not "f--k around with my computer" so why should he specifically pick out you. Are you uber spesh or sum'in?

and I don't care how rich theyr are, or whetherkthey hang out with wooden boats in Brooklin, Maine.

Which is why your "opinion" has been elevated to the lofty heights of whining, because you see fit to project your idea of who are hosts are and the idiotic notion that they've picked out your computer to "f--k around with."

PMs work fine for me. I suggested to Scot that a couple of functions didn't work and that the header could be made darker so we can read our profiles/notification/log in & out line more easily... By email, quietly and he did it. The pull down menu at the bottom still doesn't work on my machine but it works fine on others I've used, so it must be my OS version. I'm just happy that the forum is still here.

SO QUIT YER FRIGGIN' WHINING!!!

Peter Malcolm Jardine
07-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Damn, I missed it again.....

What the hey? I miss all this stuff too Chuck:D

I'll be upstairs looking at the boat threads if anyone needs me kay?

BETTY-B
07-30-2010, 07:32 PM
I'm just looking for my sunglasses. Anyone need anything from the beer store?

Duncan Gibbs
07-30-2010, 07:47 PM
http://images.travelpod.com/users/exploreamerica/usvisits.1175026860.beerx--cantina-cerveza.jpg

Uncle Duke
07-30-2010, 07:49 PM

Moby Nick
Perhaps you could, without emotion or bias, explain what problems you are having and what software you are running.
If you really want the problems to be solved (as opposed to being perceived as just having fun complaining) this would be helpful.
Without that, it really looks like you're just complaining for the personal pleasure of it....
Trying to help here....

Ed Harrow
07-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Well, since Nick obviously isn't going to repeat what he wrote (I wonder if Scot is able to review 'poofed' threads - I believe it was in Boatbum's 'Awful joke' thread.). Anyway the fine, upstanding Mr Scheuer related, in one sentance, Bill Gates to Scot Bell, and both to a certain, well known, body orifice.

As my mother would say, 'You show yourself to be highly fed and lowly taught.' Whine away, Nick, whine away.

Glen Longino
07-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Naw Nick's a good guy. Botebum is the one that needs to be banned....for life.

I agree, Nick is a good guy and we want to save him harmless around here in perpetuity.
I also agree, Doug is no damned good!
But, If we condemn the one and save the other we all lose.
Got it?;)

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
07-31-2010, 06:09 AM
Can anyone tell the difference between goading and trolling?

Peerie Maa
07-31-2010, 06:20 AM
I'll bet that the other Nick is still using Exploder. I gave up on that a while ago, there are other free alternatives. I recommend Google Chrome - PMs, video posting and everything else works on Chrome, except the option to post small pictures from my PC. Never had that so don't miss it.

seanz
07-31-2010, 06:21 AM
No.

Nicholas Scheuer
07-31-2010, 08:57 AM
So now Uncle Duke is getting impatient? I don't spend a lot of time replying to everything simply because it takes too damm long for my screen to reload.

I use Windows 2000 Professional and whatever version of Explorer was current about nine years ago. Neithr is "supported" by a bunch of software anymore; kwhich kis exactly why I'd like to what Bill Gates with a 2x4.

My Dodge Ram Diesel was built 1n 1993 and I have no problem getting service for it.

Computer geeks the world over, however, have made it too easy for Microsoft's founder to retire with a fortune by selling new software to people whose "old" software became obsolete too soon.

So I should have updated years ago? There was no problem before the WB Forum got changed. But of course Scot is not responsible for that. GFY, kthe WBF didn't change itself.

Moby Nick

Duncan Gibbs
07-31-2010, 09:06 AM
Which part of this statement do you not understand?

Nick, I believe you're making Scot a strawman for elements of the software that he has no control over. If you run a Windows machine with '95 on it, or a Mac with OS9 do you think you'd get any kind of support for that software from Microsoft or Apple? No! I didn't think so! Same deal with V-Bulletin: I dare say WB had no choice in the matter, either upgrade and get support or don't and get none.

Are you really that thick? I certainly hope not!

bob winter
07-31-2010, 09:13 AM
The new forum doesn't work all that well with Netscape but it works fine with Safari. My only quibble with things at the moment is the blue titles on the threads that you get when entering the forum. I find them hard to read.

Ed Harrow
07-31-2010, 08:07 PM

I prefer to think of it an attempt to get him to 'man up'. Others, of course, are free to have a different opinion (besides, we know about opinions and body orifices :p )

Vince Brennan
07-31-2010, 08:23 PM
Nick, I'm sorry to take the opposing view here, but IM (not so humble)O, you're working on a dinosaur OS. Yes, you should upgrade, at LEAST to XP SP3 if not to WIN 7, and I DO know all the problems you'll encounter if you do that... I'm still on XP, myself, just because of the difficulty of retaining all the data and upgrading to WIN7, but 2000Pro is a dead issue. You may as well be using Win3.0 for all the good it will do you now, and in the future.

Linux is a definite possibility if you want to look into it, but XP for now is really your only solution for the moment. Eventually you and I WILL have to move up to WIN7 or it's successor(s) if we want to keep up with things like forum upgrades and just general usage of the internet.

It's not a plot, it's just the way things are, mate.

Some bullets you can duck, but some you have to bite... this is one of them.

Sorry.

Nicholas Scheuer
08-01-2010, 03:48 AM
Thanks for the thoughful wrap-up of my situation, Vince. I have plans to have a knowlegable computer talent come over soon and see what he can do along the lines you recommend. That sort of thing has been out of the question so far this summer due to the press of extended visits of family and trips away of our own.

The point I try to make, the point some here find so difficult to understand, is that I've been using a remarkably trouble-free computer operating system for almost ten years. I did NOTHING to make the WBF so damm difficult to see (lack of contrast) and I did NOTHING to suddenly make the WBF load so slowly. Scot did it, so HE is RESPOBSIBLE. Scot may not be wrong, but he is RESPONSIBLE.

People here can all bend over and kiss the webmaster';s a-- if they so desire. I don't kiss anybodies a--. This forum exists in order to make Woodenboat Publications more profitable, period. Anyone is entitled to a belief that the WBF is dedicated to World Peace and prospertity through dedication to keeping wooden boats from sinking due to rot, just don't include me in that group. I like boats, but only some of them are wooden.

Moby Nick

Larry P.
08-01-2010, 09:16 AM
You are an ass, get a life.

pefjr
08-01-2010, 09:38 AM
If you want someone banned all you need to do is contact me or Donn. Either one of us has the power to ban anyone, anytime, for any reason, right Blight?

Uncle Duke
08-01-2010, 12:03 PM
So now Uncle Duke is getting impatient? I don't spend a lot of time replying to everything simply because it takes too damm long for my screen to reload.Impatient? I don't think so. I noted that you had time to post about how much you hate people who "f**k around with my computer" and "I don't care how rich they are.." etc., but didn't bother to mention that you are using a very old OS with a very old browser.
Folks have noted that you'll need to change that - let me add that your physical computer is probably way over the hill, too - I'm basing that on the suspicion that you haven't upgraded that since your installation of Windows 2000.
If that is the case, then upgrading to XP (or similar ) may not help you much. Most computers now can easily handle resolutions of 1280 x 1024 at 64-bit color depth (at least) - and that is not "most ones for sale now", but "most being used now". People now expect software that can take advantage of that, in fact, they demand it. If you're computer can't handle that, then you will need to make compromises - your old 486 at 700 Mhz is not going to handle newer software. (Linux may be an option to extend the life of old hardware - but Windows is not.)

Your analogy about your 1993 Dodge still being fine is not really apt. If you look at the pace of change in the automotive industry vs the computer industry, a more fair automotive comparison for a 10 year old computer running Windows 2000 (and I.E. 3.0 or whatever) would be a 1928 Ford. Sure, you could still run it on public roads, but it would never be able to keep up with modern traffic. That's not the fault of the guy paving the road... The dealer might service it (might not also) but you wouldn't be pissed if he didn't have any parts in stock, or surprised if he couldn't get them.

I think you are going to need a new computer, not just a software upgrade. That doesn't have to cost a lot of money - Best Buy will sell you a Compaq Presario with 3 Gigs of memory, 160 Gig Hard drive, 2.2 Ghz AMD processor, ATI Radeon video card, CD/DVD R/W drive, etc. for $329. Windows 7 already installed. Here (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Compaq+-+Presario+Laptop+/+AMD+V-Series+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+3GB+Memory+/+160GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/1116168.p?id=1218222407602&skuId=1116168&st=1116168,%209999135600050013_&cp=1&lp=1).
That's a vast improvement over what you have now. With that, you could merge onto a modern highway with no problems. And that guy re-paving the roads you use? You could just give him a friendly wave as you go by.

bobbys
08-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Im holding my vote for the biggest Bribe on this one..

Sure i Like Nick but a buck is a buck....

If he can beat 15 bucks, A bottle of Strawberry Knoll wine and the July issue of Playboy 1976{mint condition} we can tawk........

Bruce Hooke
08-01-2010, 05:02 PM
I use Windows 2000 Professional and whatever version of Explorer was current about nine years ago. Neithr is "supported" by a bunch of software anymore; kwhich kis exactly why I'd like to what Bill Gates with a 2x4.

I am one of those guys who works with computers and website for a living so you may not like me much, but let me at least try to explain some of what is going on behind your situation, because I have definitely heard this complaint before.

The basic equation is that many people do appreciate the new functionality that comes with newer computer hardware, software and web browsers. So, if you are making computer hardware or software you know that to compete you need to continue to make your hardware or software better. People with older versions of the software and hardware can continue to use it but when they buy a new computer it will, of course, come with the newer hardware and software because that is what most people want, especially since the cost difference tends to be pretty small. So, since most people replace or seriously upgrade their computer in under 10 years, there are very few people running computer hardware as old as yours.

Now, the real crunch comes with the Internet because this is when your computer becomes connected to lots of other computers and has to interact with them. Let's say you are website designer, like me. A customer wants a new website. You give them a price to build a new website and let them know that it will be designed to work well on the browsers used by 99%+ of the people likely to visit their website. If they want to get to 99.99% you explain that this will either increase the cost quite a bit (since you will have to expend a lot of effort to make the website work on older, less well-designed web browsers) or force you to design a pretty simple (from a visual perspective) website. A few die-hards like you might choose to go with, say, a text only website that will run on pretty much any computer, but I have never yet met a customer like that. Instead, understandably I think, everyone wants a website that makes it look like they are keeping current with the times, not lost in some previous decade, and they inevitably want it on a tight budget since nobody has money to burn. This applies to businesses and to non-profits.

So human nature and the free market lead to the situation you are in. It is nobody's and everybody's fault at the same time. You might as well try to convince the world to not drive cars built using parts developed since 1993.

The key difference with your '93 truck is that providing service for your truck does not really have much impact on the auto repair shop's ability to provide service for newer cars because each car is independent, not connected to lots of other cars like a computer. If the auto repair place was going to have to charge everyone 15% more in order to be able to fix your 1993 truck you can bet they would be telling you they could not fix your truck.

On the WoodenBoat Forum, I do not know why the software got upgraded but what commonly happens with these sorts of things is that the makers of the software discover that someone has found a new way to break into the software and mess stuff up (nothing is perfect) and so they fix the problem and let users know that to prevent problems they need to upgrade to the newer software, which also includes new features since new features are necessary to compete in the market and since offering a bunch of different versions of the software is expensive since each version has to be test and supported separately. Yes, the makers could try to make sure the newer software works with 10 year old web browsers but this brings us back to the basic problem...is whoever is paying for the software willing to spend, say, 30% more to make sure the software works on 99.99% of computers versus 99% of computers? Almost always, the answer is no.

Nicholas Scheuer
08-01-2010, 05:36 PM
When my son sold me this computer, along with a ton of installed software, is was VERY capable, easily having enough speed and memory to do CAD work.

Sure I haven't "kept pace" with the technology; I wouldn't have a ghost of an idea how to do that.

I already know I need a new computer along with newer software. I have a son-in-law who works for Intel. Wghat I don't have is a lot of ktime to deal with all of this. I actually have a life which doesn;t have anything to do with the WBF.

I could almost excuse the slow reloading of my compute with the WBF. But I maintain that only an IDIOT would bring in a new format having such an atrocious lack of contrast. This aspect of the new format has been supported by a number of others, so I know full well that it is not just me.

The lack of color contrast does not have a god dammed thing to do with what OS i'm using. People who maintain that the lack of contrast is MY FAULT are beyond contempt.

Moby Nick

Duncan Gibbs
08-01-2010, 06:05 PM
My contrast is fine. Yours is not. What does that tell you about how your T-model is rebuilding the data coming down the line? One guess! ;)

Bruce Hooke
08-01-2010, 06:21 PM
When my son sold me this computer, along with a ton of installed software, is was VERY capable, easily having enough speed and memory to do CAD work.

Yes, that's the way it goes. What was once great is no longer...

Sure I haven't "kept pace" with the technology; I wouldn't have a ghost of an idea how to do that.

Realistically, this is why most people just buy a new computer rather than trying to upgrade existing hardware and software.

I already know I need a new computer along with newer software. I have a son-in-law who works for Intel. Wghat I don't have is a lot of ktime to deal with all of this. I actually have a life which doesn;t have anything to do with the WBF.

Life is like that...too much to do and not enough time. If the only website you are having problems with is the WoodenBoat Forum then I am guessing you do not spend a lot of time browsing the web and I can understand not wanting to put time and money into fixing the problem, but this is not really something you can blame WoodenBoat for.

I could almost excuse the slow reloading of my compute with the WBF. But I maintain that only an IDIOT would bring in a new format having such an atrocious lack of contrast. This aspect of the new format has been supported by a number of others, so I know full well that it is not just me.

The lack of color contrast does not have a god dammed thing to do with what OS i'm using. People who maintain that the lack of contrast is MY FAULT are beyond contempt.

This one has me a bit puzzled. Yes, the color scheme is likely something Scot could change, but the contrast looks fine for me, and it actually looks better on a 13 year old monitor I use as my second monitor than it does on my new monitor. Have you checked the contrast and brightness settings on your monitor? If that is not the issue and if your eyesight is not great then it could be that the relatively low contrast levels are giving you problems that people with better eyesight do not have. In that case, a polite note to Scot might be in order to let him know about an issue that he might not be aware of, but before you go down that route you might want to look at the forum on another computer to see if it looks the same there to make sure it is not something about the settings on your current computer.

Garret
08-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Bruce -

From one geek to another - very nice explanation! One thing I would add is that computers improve far faster than cars. Win 2000 is really more like a pre-war businessman's coupe (remember those old Plymouths with a trunk that could hold 5 people while you went through the gate of the drive-in? - maybe you're too young ;-). So - this is like expecting your local NAPA store to stock parts for a 39 Plymouth - IOW - ain't gonna happen. It may suck, but this is the reality of computers, cell phones, VCR's, TV's and most other electronics nowadays. The days of AT&T's rotary dial phones that would last 20 years+ are gone.

I too wonder about the contrast issue - sure seems fine to me (either black on white or black on a very pale blue). I think the idea of checking how it looks on another computer is a good one.

StevenBauer
08-01-2010, 07:04 PM
As usual Bruce's is the voice of reason. I voted not to ban but the way Nick has handled this shows poor form and he has lost respect from me because of it.

Steven

Ed Harrow
08-01-2010, 09:56 PM
As usual Bruce's is the voice of reason. I voted not to ban but the way Nick has handled this shows poor form and he has lost respect from me because of it.

Steven

Bruce Hooke is the voice of reason. Steve, as usual (and I mean this as a supreme compliment), is way tolerant. People tell me I'm tolerant - just not way tolerant, LOL. There's no excuse for Nick calling Scot foul names.

Also, to the party who PM'd me - thank you.

Nicholas Scheuer
08-02-2010, 06:45 AM
My 17" monitor is fine, always has been as good as or better than other monitors I use from time to time at the homes of relatives, and WAY better than the screen on my Acer Notebook.

I would plan to increase the size of any new flat-screen monitor in our immediate future.

Sure my eyes have trouble seeing things with low contrast. By this time Scot is well aware of that issue from a lot of people so he will get no

I make no apologies for not having signed up for the "throwaway society". I like old stuff that I have used for years. I have tools that were old and worn when my grandfather finished using them. Computers are no different as far as I'm concerned; when I get used to one on a day to day basis, I'd just as soon keep using it. Again, I hold Bill Gates responsible for not integrating new technology more smoothly with preceeding stuff. (look at my new post in the bilge for an observation on where the "hrowaway sociwety" will get you.

For whoever made the observation, I surf the net a lot. Yes some sites load slow, but I don't go back to them repeatedly like WBF.

I can get a new HP computer at a discount tomorrow (later today, in fact, if I desired to move that fast) The big issue is how to get all of the software installed and transfer all of my files. I've got a ton of nice software on this old Compac computer.

Moby Nick

Garret
08-02-2010, 09:51 AM
While I can't argue with your feelings about our disposable society, reality has a bad habit of rearing its ugly head.

Larger businesses (not Mom & Pop operations) figure a 3-4 year lifespan for computers. This is because, after that time, they start needing repairs: new hard drive, motherboard, whatever. Repairs are often not cost effective, as hiring someone to replace a hard drive can cost 50% of a whole new computer. If you have to replace the motherboard & hard drive, more like 75%. Then there's the issue of time. In a company, a user cannot be without their computer for the ~3 days needed to diagnose, order the parts, repair, reload software & test.

Back to car analogies: Dealers stock most parts going back 7 years. So - if your car was made before 2003, the dealer may well have to order a part for you. Even then, they may not be able to get it. With the far faster/shorter life cycle of a computer, the 7 gets reduced to 3 or 4 because of the corporate thing I mentioned above. You are running an operating system that is no longer supported by the manufacturer - as they cannot afford to support everything forever.

Bruce makes a very important point. If this were a refrigerator, you could go on using it as long as it works. Sure, you might not have the latest ice maker or whatever, but it will still work. The difference is that your fridge doesn't have to talk to other refrigerators (at least you hope not;-). Computers do & as he says, constantly "improving" web sites will utilize the latest techniques to get the most bang for their buck. They also change (as Bruce said) because of security. Hackers are constantly finding new ways to attack. If you get an attack through the WBF software, you'll be pissed - probably at WB. By upgrading the software, WB is helping to protect you from getting hacked - IOW doing you a service.

Computers change so fast that it's hard not to see them as throwaway, but - as you've seen - one can run them for longer than the mfr expects. Getting 10 years out of a computer is a long time. In fact, the equivalent of getting over 30 years out of a car: 30 years since PC's came on the market means you would've used 3 since they were available - 100 years since cars became prevalent = 33 years/car. Do you keep a car 30 years?

Bruce Hooke
08-02-2010, 09:56 AM
My 17" monitor is fine, always has been as good as or better than other monitors I use from time to time at the homes of relatives, and WAY better than the screen on my Acer Notebook.

I would plan to increase the size of any new flat-screen monitor in our immediate future.

I doubt a larger monitor is going to do much for you unless your eyesight is poor enough that you are having to bump up the font size in order to read things. Of course if you are in that situation then the larger monitor may well help, and you should also look into the various tools available for those with serious eye problems.

Sure my eyes have trouble seeing things with low contrast. By this time Scot is well aware of that issue from a lot of people so he will get no

I'll take your word that Scot knows about this (I presume that is what you meant by your unfinished sentence). If so, I would just point out that this forum is far from a profit center for WoodenBoat so some tolerance on our part for imperfections on their part seems reasonable to me.

I make no apologies for not having signed up for the "throwaway society". I like old stuff that I have used for years. I have tools that were old and worn when my grandfather finished using them. Computers are no different as far as I'm concerned; when I get used to one on a day to day basis, I'd just as soon keep using it. Again, I hold Bill Gates responsible for not integrating new technology more smoothly with preceeding stuff. (look at my new post in the bilge for an observation on where the "hrowaway sociwety" will get you.

In general I am not a fan of the "throwaway society" either. When it comes to computers what I would argue is that this means you should try to individually upgrade parts of your computer as necessary to keep the computer reasonably current. This is what I do and my computer is a mix of parts that range in age from less than a year to 13 years. Of course taking this approach takes time and requires knowledge of computers than many people have. So, I understand why many people do not take this approach. If you read my post number 44 you will, I hope, have at least considered why simply blaming Bill Gates may not really be accurate. If we are going to blame Bill Gates for something in this I would suggest that the thing to blame him for is the so called "browser wars" that happened about 10 years ago between Microsoft and Netscape and that make it harder for new websites to work on browsers from that era and thus less likely that companies developing new websites will choose to support those browsers. It is a very good thing that these browser wars ended because it made an absolute mess of things and made it more expensive for businesses to have websites, but one unavoidable consequence of the end of the war was that old browsers became outdated more quickly than might be ideal. This happened because the war was over what standards to follow and the resolution was to agree on some standards and agreeing on standards unavoidably means that browsers that do not comply with those standards require special effort on the part of website designers to support the non-compliant browsers.

I do want to note that supporting 9 year old browsers (e.g., Internet Explorer 6) is not uncommon these days. I certainly try to make sure my websites work in IE6. It is when you start getting older than this that more serious problems crop up.

For whoever made the observation, I surf the net a lot. Yes some sites load slow, but I don't go back to them repeatedly like WBF.

I made that observation and I should have been more specific. Slow loading is pretty clearly simply a result of your slow computer. However, what I was getting at was that if you try to use highly interactive websites much I suspect you will find that more than a few of them do not work properly on a 10 year old browser. Of course companies with hundreds of thousands of dollars to throw at problems, and millions of customers can afford to do more to try to support very old browsers so, for example, the big online retailers are less likely to give you problems than smaller (but still very interactive) websites.

By the way, if you do want to stretch the life of your old computer so more and if these website problems are the major issue, you should at least look into what browsers are available that will run on your computer. Simply switching browsers might give you another option for websites that are not working in a certain browser. Not practicing a throwaway lifestyle sometimes takes more work...

I can get a new HP computer at a discount tomorrow (later today, in fact, if I desired to move that fast) The big issue is how to get all of the software installed and transfer all of my files. I've got a ton of nice software on this old Compac computer.

Transferring files should not be a big deal. A thumb drive or external hard drive (also useful for backups) should take care of that. I hope you have the installation CDs for the old software. If you do then you should be able to transfer most of it. If you do not then you are out of luck as there is no way to transfer software without the installation CDs.

I assume your new computer will come with Windows 7. If so, to run older software you may need to use Windows Virtual PC. It is important to note that Windows Virtual PC is only available with Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate so if running old software is important to you then make sure you get the right version of Windows on your new computer. I using Windows Virtual PC to run software that was made for Windows 95! It is not an ideal solution and we can debate whether Microsoft made the right decision to support older software in this way but that is a complicated discussion. Certainly I am glad that they offered this option rather than just saying, sorry, that software is too old.

Kaa
08-02-2010, 10:32 AM
The problems Moby Nick has are not technical in nature. They stem from his perception that the web must arranged to suit his personal preferences and that anyone who's not doing this with sufficient alacrity is to be despised and called names.

Kaa

Ian McColgin
08-02-2010, 10:38 AM
About fifty years ago, I really hated it when I saw the sign banning driving on the highway with the sulky I made for my pony.

Ed Harrow
08-02-2010, 11:22 AM
I make no apologies ...
Moby Nick

We noticed.

Hwyl
08-28-2010, 06:02 AM
Wow, I looked at the video, someone really dislikes him.

Mike Tremor
08-29-2010, 07:14 AM
The problems Moby Nick has are not technical in nature. They stem from his perception that the web must arranged to suit his personal preferences and that anyone who's not doing this with sufficient alacrity is to be despised and called names.

Kaa

Not just the web. The entire universe must be arranged to suit his personal preferences.

paladin
08-29-2010, 07:37 AM
About fifty years ago, I really hated it when I saw the sign banning driving on the highway with the sulky I made for my pony.

Ian...you were wearing the wrong hat/attire. They still do it around here, especially Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturday until noon.