PDA

View Full Version : A grain of salt.

huisjen
07-29-2010, 05:03 PM
I did a bit of baling yesterday. I got 100 bales of feed put away. This morning I woke up (too early) with a headache. I tended to my morning commitment and took a long nap this afternoon. I woke up and still had a headache. I finally remembered that I have a little salt shaker of Potassium Chloride (marketed as Nu-Salt salt substitute) for just such issues. Water and pretzels and an occasional lick of that stuff seems to be helping.

I don't like sports drinks. I threw up gatorade once.

Dan

PeterSibley
07-29-2010, 06:05 PM
Did you drink enough water while you were working ? Dehydration can leave you very ill ,we've even had people drop dead from it .I drink a litre , about 1 1/2 pints of water every evening before bed as a rule .

Captain Blight
07-29-2010, 06:36 PM
Don't forget to get some actual, real salt like you're getting on the pretzels. Your body needs that one particular element, too; just not as much as most people take in. But it is necessary to support continued life.

Paul Pless
07-29-2010, 06:37 PM
I threw up gatorade once.me too, back in college, but it had a lot of everclear mixed with it

PeterSibley
07-29-2010, 07:55 PM
Don't forget to get some actual, real salt like you're getting on the pretzels. Your body needs that one particular element, too; just not as much as most people take in. But it is necessary to support continued life.
I know that's the common wisdom , but I've never needed it and I stick to a very low salt diet .I wonder ifthere is any evidence for the salt requirement ?

Paul Pless
07-29-2010, 08:16 PM
just not as much as most people take inAccording to the FDA, the average American consumes 4000 mg of salt a day, and only 10% of that is added to food by the consumer with a salty shaker. The other 90% is already in the food through its processing and cooking. 4000 mg equals 1.75 teaspoons.

Captain Blight
07-29-2010, 08:19 PM
This is why I throw such a bit hissy fit about local, fresh, organic. It's so important.

Eat food, mostly plants. Not too much.

OconeePirate
07-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Gosh Paul...

or was it Hawaii Punch, fruit slices, ice with lot of 190 proof grain alcohol..all mixed it a big tub. It won't hit ya, til ya stand up outta yer chair.. then yer down on the floor fer the count...

I been trying to find the name of that punch... I can pronounce it, but can't spell it

Hunch punch? Swamp juice?

Paul Pless
07-29-2010, 08:40 PM
I been trying to find the name of that punch... I can pronounce it, but can't spell ithunchpunch or sometimes called IPR (instant panty remover)

Everclear and Gatorade is called a gatortail.

Pugwash
07-29-2010, 10:27 PM
I don't like sports drinks. I threw up gatorade once.
Dan

Try the blue stuff. It's the only one I can drink.

They say you can make your own Gatorade, by putting salt in Kool Aid. I've never tried it.

Black-Jack
07-30-2010, 07:18 AM
we called it purple jesus

huisjen
07-30-2010, 07:47 AM
Man, this thread has taken a fine turn :D

Beer with nachos for dinner last night. That did the final trick.

Dan

Canoez
07-30-2010, 07:54 AM
Gosh Paul...

or was it Hawaii Punch, fruit slices, ice with lot of 190 proof grain alcohol..all mixed it a big tub. It won't hit ya, til ya stand up outta yer chair.. then yer down on the floor fer the count...

I been trying to find the name of that punch... I can pronounce it, but can't spell it

Enjoying the turn, Dan? :D

If it was Everclear with grape and seltzer it was like the bottled "Purple Passion"

With Hawaiian Punch and fresh fruit it was Khoolie How.

Generically, it was known as "Garbage Pail Punch" - for the ubiquitous and fancy containers used for mixing or IPR as Paul said.

Then again, Jello shots of various variety were big at the time...

skuthorp
07-30-2010, 08:00 AM
Staminade is my poison, and I am very sensitive to salt (don't like it). But I've never drunk much water in normal circumstances and don't seem to need it as much as some. Of course in heat or doing serious phisical activity I do.

sailboy3
07-30-2010, 09:36 AM
Eat food, mostly plants. Not too much.

Michael Pollan?

cs
07-30-2010, 10:03 AM
The other week my wife came back from the gym early complaining about not feeling well. She did this two days in a row. I asked her if she was drinking plenty of water and she said yes. I asked how much and she said "about a half a bottle." Well that is not nearly enough. I've seen recomendations that during a hard workout that you need to drink a min of 24 oz of water. That may be a bit much (unless it is hot and you are sweating quite a bit), but 1/2 bottle is not near enough. She increased her water intact and hasn't had a problem since.

By the time you are thirsty you are already starting to get dyhdrated. If you expect to be working quite a bit, start the day before and hydrate in preperation.

Remember "Hydrate or die"

Chad

cs
07-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Here is a bit of an article I found.

Welcome to Sweating 101. Question #1 – During one hour of vigorous exercise, how much does the average person sweat?
A. One tablespoon
B. One cup
C. One pint
D. One quart
Okay, pencils down. For all of those who answered D., congrats! To everyone else, better luck next time.

That’s right – one quart! As you can see, exercise saps a lot of water from our bodies. That’s why it’s very important to drink even more water while exercising. However, drinking water before and after exercise is just as important.

Start paying attention to your fluid intake 2-3 hours before you are going to exercise. Drink 2-3 cups of water during that time, and then drink another cup immediately before you start exercising.

Without this extra water, your muscles will become dehydrated. Muscle movement depends on how hydrated you are, so if they are dry, they will not work as well. As a result, your workout will not be as productive as you would like.

Once you start exercising, keep drinking water frequently. A good rule of thumb is to drink one cup every 15-20 minutes. Keep a water bottle with you. Take breaks to head to the water cooler. Do what it takes you keep yourself hydrated.

The link. (http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=101)

Chad

Canoez
07-30-2010, 10:25 AM
When backpacking in New Mexico, we were told to try to drink at least 4 liters of water per man per day. We also had Gatorade powder which was nice as we were using an iodine-based disinfectant for the water and the Gatorade helped mask the flavor. You couldn't mix it per the package ingredients, tho. It would make you nauseated - you had to mix it half strength.

htom
07-30-2010, 10:36 AM
Too much Gatorade upsets my tummy, too. I usually mix it with an equal amount of plain water, or even twice the amount of water. And yes, dehydration can give you splitting headaches and joint aches. (For males, checking is easy -- watch your output stream. It should be clear or a pale yellow. Bright yellow or dark yellow, you're dehydrated.)

BarnacleGrim
07-30-2010, 10:44 AM
Sounds like you need some
http://johnmilleker.com/weblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/brawndo.jpg

It's got what plants crave!