PDA

View Full Version : State of the Economy

TimH
07-29-2010, 10:31 AM
I heard on the news yesterday that consumer confidence is way down in spite of the recent gains in the stock market. Turns out that the good numbers posted by wall street are due to cost savings incurred from job cutting and off-shoring.
How long can we sustain this "jobless recovery"?

bob winter
07-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Chances are that you can't.

SamSam
07-29-2010, 10:46 AM
I have doubts that the state of Wall Street are in league with the state of the local/national economy. I think the state of Las Vegas might be a better indicator.

Paul Pless
07-29-2010, 10:48 AM
I don't know Tim. In a way its reminiscent of the corporate downsizing of middle management and embrace of technology that occurred as a result of Black Monday (1987). I actually think that the economic boom in the U.S. of the Clinton years continuing into Bush's presidency was the result of how business responded to that crash and loss of wealth. Not sure how our long term recovery this time will compare directly, but there does seem to be a lot of correlation. One thing that probably won't buoy the economy this time around is a long period of growth in residential construction which began slowly along about 1990 and didn't end until the disastrous meltdown a couple of years ago.

TimH
07-29-2010, 11:01 AM
I have always attributed that period of growth to good fiscal policy by the Clinton administration and more-so to the internet bubble and tech explosion. In 1990 nobody really had internet or even home computers....by the end of the Clinton days everyone did. The demand for anything to do with computers was amazing.

donald branscom
07-29-2010, 11:04 AM
The economy is the way it is because of deregulation and then cheating and scamming and profiteering.

The ONLY way out of the economic mess is to have MANUFACTURING again.

Everyone has to make something or provide a service. WORK for a living. Not just scam and cheat people.

donald branscom
07-29-2010, 11:06 AM
I have always attributed that period of growth to good fiscal policy by the Clinton administration and more-so to the internet bubble and tech explosion. In 1990 nobody really had internet or even home computers....by the end of the Clinton days everyone did. The demand for anything to do with computers was amazing.

Yes and all the schools in the United states were sold computers and the kids are becoming dummies.
They have no attention span and have learning difficulties.
People driving around in new cars and have blackberry computers but cannot spell and have no social skills.

TimH
07-29-2010, 11:06 AM
The Y2K scramble was kind of the last hurrah.

Paul Pless
07-29-2010, 11:10 AM
scramble, or hoax?

TimH
07-29-2010, 11:13 AM
scramble and hoax :)