PDA

View Full Version : EXHAUST ELBOW for V8C-188 | #W-4307

Bartlomiej
07-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Hi Folks,

I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can get my hands on a pair of exhaust elbows for the V8C-188 | #W-4307 engine? I have a crack in the right side elbow which is spewing out a little bit of water and exhaust onto the deck.
(See attached link to photo and you will see the soot left behind)
I also believe the other side may have a crack as well and since I want to replace one side I naturally would like to do both sides.

I just purchased the boat this year and did not notice the problem until one of the white sleeves blew out on the side. Whoever owned the boat before me must have thought these white sleeves were a good temporary fix. Turns out they weren't that great. So here I am... Looking for Exhaust Elbows!

Can anyone help me with this matter?

IF I can't find the elbow is there anyway to simply run an exhaust hose from the manifold? I read in the Grey Marine manual this is possible but I'm not 100% about it... Can anyone clarify this for me. What are my options?

Here is the link to the image.

http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pd-llPM9ntF9zg8aNP2wJMlcuIMKT1no4dbRPtb87K-gOc7SUNRMHfIW-TS0M_V8WMf4kH0IKYAncFS9QglWYog/IMG_6166.JPG?psid=1

Thanks
Bartlomiej,

C. Ross
07-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Try Marysville Marine Distributors in MI. www.marysvillemarine.com. Don't know where you're located, but Barr Marine manufactures for old engines including Graymarine, and they have distributors around the country. http://barrmarine.net/wordpress/distributors/

To your second question, I am about to replace much of my exhaust on both engines with hose-only, removing several unnecessary elbows from a poor previous design/installation. Two times vibration has shaken hose loose from elbows, and it's time to eliminate that risk. I will retain elbows at the point where the hose connects to the manifold, and at the y-joint where the hose from each manifold connects to the mufflers.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
07-29-2010, 10:29 AM
There is the hose option, and you could also get it welded. A good welder has no problem with cast iron.

Bartlomiej
07-29-2010, 06:42 PM
C.Ross, Thanks! Those links proved to guide me in the right direction!

The welding option crossed my mind for a temporary solution since the wall of the pipe is rather thick.
However I'm opting for new pipes.

Thanks again.

Bartlomiej
08-01-2010, 01:04 PM
I have yet another question. I'm not certain about this so I thought I should ask.

I found a small problem on what I believe is the Cylinder Head (where the spark plugs screw in). Correct me if I'm wrong please.
So now I'm wondering how hard are the cylinder heads to find? The issue at hand is a crack in the head by the exhaust manifold right next to the rear spark plug (portside).
It looks like someone Arc welded a patch but its not that solid anymore, and I can feel exhaust being forced out through that crack. I will take a photo of this problem to illustrate the detail.
Does anyone know about the cylinder heads and where I could find one or two IF that is the problem?

Regards,

Peter Malcolm Jardine
08-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Oh boy. That AMC 327 is not really common engine, and parts will be hard to find. That engine is a combination of technology from the old Hudson engine when AMC bought the rights to Hudson... it's a bit of an oddball. A tough engine, and likely Gray used the old low compression version, which is about 8 to 1 ? compression.There were two versions of that engine, one was nearly 10 to 1 compression, and was legitimately a hot rod/muscle car engine of the day, but it's fifty years old. If you are starting to find crack and such, you need to find a really good welding shop that specializes in doing this kind of repair. It can be done, but it isn't a backyard welding job. It takes specialized equipment to do this kind of welding and an understanding of how old castings react to heat. I remember a shop I used to putter around in sending out an eight cylinder Pierce Arrow engine block for welding, and after a couple of tries,($$) the casting was determined to be too brittle to fix...
but most shops who do this work know what they're looking at.

I say this a lot, but old engines are not easy. You can try and patch and wiggle your way through a fix process, but frankly, it isn't likely to work. The real process is taking the engine apart, assessing what you have, and step by step rebuild, repair, and restore it. On a fifty year old engine, this is neither cheap, nor speedy, and has it's share of pitfalls and roadblocks.

I would be searching for the AMC forums and asking around on them, and on the H.A.M.B. (google it if you don't know what it is... a long explanation) Lets just say that if you decide to preserve the engine, that's cool, but it will be because you like it, and think it deserves preservation. Otherwise, a small block chevy marine engine used with transmission is probably cheaper that rebuilding and fixing that Gray. Kijiji, Ebay, Craigslist, all useful resources... I have travelled a few thousand miles collecting parts for vintage engines, and a fair bit of time searching for them, and learning to understand each individual series of motors I encounter.

I'm in the middle of a build on a 430 Lincoln, and it will end up costing me more than buying a turnkey small block chevy marine by the time i am done, but i already know that. I feel the engine is part of the history of the boat in this case, so I decided to rebuild/restore the engine. Anyone could put a new 350 in a boat, and that isn't what I feel the stewardship issue is about... but I don't blame people for putting modern engines in... they work better to start with, they are more reliable than the vintage stuff, and they cost less.