PDA

View Full Version : Unemployment Myths

David G
07-29-2010, 01:33 AM
Given some of the recent discussion here about the topic, I thought this might help shed some misconceptions:

http://www.northjersey.com/news/opinions/op-ed/unemployment_072810.html

skipper68
07-29-2010, 01:59 AM
It's UNENJOYMENT: the shame that your skills are of no value,that you spend your(paid into)shamefull check,to run to interviews worth not the phone minutes or gas,or time to sit in a room with other cut throats,whom,if you get hired,will probably end up a anal boss of yours. BLAA BLAA BLAA-this country needs what they did in the depression-go fix that dam that broke,go fix the bridges.You build it,the small bizz will hire.Don't count on the ceo's...enuff AAAGGGHHH

Kevin G
07-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Skipper68:

If memory serves me correctly, it is the employer, not the employee, that pays unemployment taxes. I do believe there are three states that have the worker pay a minimum into Unemployment. Also, the more people that an employer has collecting, the higher rate he/she will pay for unemployment. I hope this helps clear up one common myth about unemployment.

Keving

brad9798
07-31-2010, 09:46 PM
EMPLOYERS pay for unemployment benefits ... BELIEVE ME! :(

It is sad all the way around ...

ANYONE who thinks the economy is getting better is, in most cases, silly!!!

Stan D
07-31-2010, 10:02 PM
All states are different. I can only speak for Virginia. Yes, the employers here pay for unemployment INSURANCE, and do not bear the full brunt of what is payed a former employee. And then, it's not necessarily the employer that fires someone that is responsible. It is the responsibility of the employer that the guy worked for 18 months prior. Say you change jobs and only last 6 months in the new job. It is the prior employer that has his insurance hit. Wacky, but it seems to work.

botebum
07-31-2010, 11:29 PM
Thanks for posting that David. It's a shame most won't read it. Fear of knowledge I'd guess.

Doug

Captain Intrepid
08-01-2010, 03:14 AM
Ah, all throughout these arguments I like to think back to the great depression, and how it was conclusively proved that the real problem was simply lazy people who didn't want to work and take all the jobs being offered to them by munificent businessmen.